Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

teknicolor posted:

What is everyone's opinion of knee armor worn under regular jeans? If I'm driving less than three miles to work, it just doesn't seem worth it to put on my leather trousers, drive 15 minutes, then take them off and change into my regular jeans. Should I just shut up and deal, or does the knee armor sound ok for short distances?

edit: something like these: http://tinyurl.com/356l5s

That's still only half the protection you need for your knees. Impact protection and abrasion protection is required and jeans provide neither. Those pads only provide impact protection on your knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

RealDealNamowicz posted:

Wait, you're telling me that thick composite/whatever plastic won't be better for abrasion resistance than leather? I think I would rather have my knees dragging on concrete in those than a set of leather pants.

Negative, I'm telling you your knees aren't the only part of you grinding away at the pavement. Unless you're really talented.

If you wear those under a pair of jeans, you gain very protection for the amount of effort.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Weren't those "Moto GP" brand leather suits having some serious construction issues? Seams bursting and whatnot?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

ClockworkZero posted:

speaking of visors, has anyone ever used Rain-X on a visor? It says on the bottle not to use on plastics unless approved by the manufacturer, so I doubt it would do any good and would probably do alot of bad, but holy hell does it ever work like magic on my car windscreen!

I've heard nothing but bad things about Rain-X on visors. I use Turtle Wax after I clean it and the water zips off pretty easily. Doesn't last too long, though.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

emil_muzz posted:

I was within inches of buying one for the interior drop-down sun shield. That's sweet.

And my tinkering has revealed that it's trivial to remove the cheekpads and get directly at the foam in there without messing up the liner at all. Then you can start trimming for a custom fit. I've just about got it perfect now.

Check it. No fog, darkens in the sun.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Jazzzzz posted:

I used one of these (the Fog City version though) and the tinting stopped working in about 4 months.

Good to know. I'll stick with two visors and bitching about fog.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Kruzen posted:

Anyone have some comments on the Aerostich Roadcraft 1 pc?

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Roadcrafter-One-Piece-Suit-p-16133.html

From the reviews and other reccomendations from people it sounds like it even beats leathers for daily riding and safety.

Ask Neck Tooth or Plastic Sun about it. I never shut up about mine.

A Roadcrafter is God's gift to commuters.

(edit) I have the two piece since my body is formed strangely. Different sizes for jacket and pants, plus the jacket comes down over the crotch a bit so it prevents water from getting in there when you're lanesplitting past Noah's animals.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

LordOfThePants posted:

Anyone own an Olympia Phantom suit?

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

Motor Cyclist reviewed them this month and they seemed to like it. It's definitely cheaper than a Roadcrafter from Aerostitch.

Does anyone else sell them online? The BMW dealer not too far from where I work carries their stuff according to the website.

Aerostich. It's Aerostich.

And the Phantom seems to be a great choice if you don't mind spending the time getting into the suit. The Roadcrafter's super-fast entry and exit is one of its stronger points: you won't be tempted to go for a quick ride without gear because it's so easy to zip into.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

emil_muzz posted:

Jesus. I never caught that. I've always just seen "stitch". I'll attempt to reprogram my brain.

pr0zac posted:

If it helps I didn't notice it until just now either.

Don't worry guys, Aerostich themselves can't get it right at times:

:downs:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

ReducedFat posted:

New rider, here!

What say you all to:

Icon Accelerant Jacket
Shoei RF-1000 Helmet
Icon Accelerant Gloves

I've heard people say that the Icon stuff is a paper tiger, but all the jackets I've worn from them feel tough as nails (especially compared to the Joe Rocket stuff I was set on before). Anybody see any problems with this list?

No boots and no pants.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

ReducedFat posted:

Anyone have like, an opinion on the gear I listed?

My, like, opinion is I've heard enough badmouthing of Icon gear I'd have a very hard time recommending it.

As for the lid, fit and comfort are much more important than brand names. find one that's DOT approved and fits better than the Shoei? It's a better helmet for you.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

mhsneon posted:

I am considering getting the Roadcrafter 1 piece suit. A few questions I have is how it is in hot weather? My jacket now is textile and has a removable liner, and it still gets very hot in the summer. The weather is dry here, but it does get into the 90's. Also will I have issues riding differnt kinds of bikes. The main two bikes I will be riding are my DR650 and my Honda 919(standard position, but not as upright as the DR).

You'll be fine if you're moving. The vents work quite well.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

teknicolor posted:

May I humbly ask: why did you choose this helmet? Was there something about it specifically you liked, or have you used Icon helmets before? I'm just curious. :)

I would wager it has more to do with the $50 pricetag than anything else about the lid.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Tactical Bonnet posted:

So I'm in the market for a new helmet, are there any brands I should steer clear of? How much should I look to spend on a decent mid-range full face helmet?

Go to a dealer, try on several brands and sizes. Wear it around the store for 10 to 15 minutes to ensure no hot/sore spots develop. Buy the one that fits the best at the dealer you wore the lid at. Yes, it's more expensive but if you use their helmet to try on, support them.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Aerostich suits are incredibly quick to put on and take off. They look goofy as hell off the bike and fold up into a huge ball about 3' in diameter, so they don't fit those requirements.

I have yet to run into a problem zipping out of my Roadcrafter and not having a place to set it on. There's always room.

(edit)

Yes, rolling isn't folding, but folding doesn't compress it too much. My Roadcrafter is currently sitting on a desk in my office, folded in half and it still takes up a good amount of space.

Skier fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 28, 2008

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I think the Fulmer lids tested fairly well in whatever mag did the "blowing the lid off" article. My woman has one of their full-face lids.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Galler posted:

Boots are by Oxtar. I can't find any kind of model name on them but they've probably been discontinued anyways since I bought them 3 years ago from newenough.com

They are called Oxtar Explorers. All the cool kids have 'em. :) And of course they stopped making them.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

TheFonz posted:

Have we figured out what the gently caress we tall guys do for suits yet? I'm 6'2" with a 32/33 waist, a 33 inseam and a option of gently caress all for suits so far. I've noticed 2 pieces seems to be a little better in terms of height to weight, but none of them still really fit into my range. Can I find a suit for under $1000?

A two piece Roadcrafter fits the bill, unless you need leather for track days.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

spacepirate posted:

I am trying to find the insulated pouches that fit over the controls. They were basically big mittens that fit over the front controls to keep your hands warm when it starts getting cold. Does anyone remember what they are called?

Hippo Hands.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Taisa posted:

So I hear Scotchguard is like divine intervention for stopping the rain. Any truth to this? My pants love leaking on the inside seams, and after a 20 minute ride, my jeans get pretty soaked.

Assuming it's not the zipper of your overpants leaking, yeah, Scotchgaurd will make a world of difference.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

waptang posted:

With the weather getting cooler, I'm becoming painfully aware of the fact that my gear is not cold- (or even cool-) weather gear. I started browsing Aerostich, which is not good for my already thin wallet, and am curious to know if anybody here uses/has used their Darien or Roadcrafter stuff. The Darien jacket looks like it will work in a wider range of temperatures considering the optional liner, but I don't know what other differences I should be aware of between the two lines. I'll also take recommendations on other cold-weather oriented gear.

I use my Roadcrafter two piece suit for all my riding. The initial expense does hurt the wallet, but I figure it will last at least 10 years of riding. While I dropped almost $800 on a suit, I have one suit for all conditions. I've used it from 15 degree to 105 degrees. Changing what you wear under it allows it to work in all temperature ranges.

For cold weather I'll wear a synthetic long sleeve undershirt and a synthetic sweatshirt. Jeans or khakis for pants, sometimes combined with thermal underwear if it's below freezing.

I've no experience with the Darien gear but hear great things about it.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
WebBikeWorld has a review of the new Rev'it Infinity riding suit.

:flashfap:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

The Wormy Guy posted:

Wow that looks amazing, the entry system itself is genius. If I had $1,100 to spend I'd definitely do it.

Nah, that entry system has been around for decades. It's the combination of truly waterproof zippers with a suit that has actual visual appeal.

And no Aerostich bubble butt.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Despite the webbikeworld article repeatedly stating that Nanosphere is a fabric I have seen nothing on the Nanosphere site to indicate that its anything but a finish. I don't know what the suit is made out of but it seems that Nanosphere strictly refers to the finish and the abrasion resistance they refer to is that of the finish itself-- basically indicating that finish won't rub off after scrapes or repeated washings rendering the waterproof properties useless.

They updated the review with more info. The outer shell is Schoeller FTC Dynatec.

quote:

UPDATE 1*: <The outer material of the suit is Schoeller FTC Dynatec with the NanoSphere treatment. It is composed of 95% polyamide and 5% polyester.

I didn't see anything leaping out via Google saying if Dynatec is comparable to Cordura nylon.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

OrangeFurious posted:

I see a lot of people riding in textile oversuits - basically big janitor outfits with reflective bits. Anyone have experience with these? Do they have integrated armor?

Seems like an effective way to wear real-people clothes (e.g., for work) and still be protected.

I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter, probably the kind of janitor suit you saw. It's the only piece of riding gear you'll need for touring the continent, commuting to work or taking a cruise down your favorite road.

My suit has somewhere around 50,000 miles on it and the total list of problems are: a pant leg zipper pull popped off somewhere in Canada.

I'd buy the $6 part to properly fix it but a baling wire loop gives me more ADV cred ( :whatup: ).

The suits are pricey but they'll probably outlast you. The company's customer service is top-notch, too.

(edit: yes, integrated armor for knees, elbows and shoulders)

Skier fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2009

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Anyone know if the shape of the HJC CL-15 differs from the old CL-14?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Gstu posted:

I didn't find a 'luggage/baggage' thread, so I figured this falls under the incredibly wide topic of 'gear'

I just bought my first bike (Suzuki GS500F, 2007) on Saturday, and I have a question regarding baggage. I need a place to keep a tire pressure gauge, a couple tools, and the registration/insurance. I'm thinking a tank bag that stays on full time is my best bet.

Any particular reason why keeping those items under the seat isn't acceptable?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

dietcokefiend posted:

What do you guys where underneath your normal riding gear? My shirt and boxers start to bunch up as I get sweaty (loving hot outside now) which makes them bunch up in really uncomfortable ways making for some interesting shifting to correct things. Is there like some sort of futuristic moisture wicking boxers that dont stick to your skin and bunch up?

LD Comfort shorts are god damned awesome for racking up miles in all climates.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I always think of this when I think of flip-up helmets.

Do you think a standard fullface helmet would have held up better to being smashed chinbar first into a concrete post at 60 MPH? It might, but gently caress, that thread is the worst possible impact scenario for the helmet.

Every time I want a modular lid I think of that thread, too. Then I go buy a cheap-rear end fullface. :(

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

http://www.wheelieteach.com/productspecs.htm

I'd actually consider getting this if they made a model specific for my bike. It'd probably be possible to adapter another model but I don't know all the measurements of things.

quote:

After fifteen years of sport bike riding, Jeff D., President of J. Tyler Enterprises, LLC had enough of seeing his fellow sport bike enthusiasts tumble and fall attempting to achive the ultimate in sport bike accomplishments...the wheelie!

Hahahahahahaha

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Gnaghi posted:

Ok, interesting. I was only thinking of the shell, never occurred to me that the lining is the one-time use part of it. I was actually feeling the inside and the part where I hit feels a bit...deflated. I will buy a new helmet, thanks for the info.

Edit: What about just buying a new liner then?

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=2228&id=8831

That's the comfort liner, not the protection (compression) liner. The EPS liner is attached to the helmet shell.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

in all seriousness, what's the verdict on earplugs? I feel like that would just screw up your awareness of what's around you--even if it does give you a ringing headache to listen to the engine and highway noise for long..

Go read. Two parts.

David Hough, THE Man posted:

Noise exposure also leads to your reactions slowing. Let’s say that you have really good responses, and at the start of the ride your reaction time is a very quick 0.5 second. In other words, if a driver makes a quick left turn across your path, you’ll be able to take evasive action in just a half second. But after several hours of exposure to loud noise, your reaction time will typically be twice as long. So when some driver suddenly swerves into a collision course, you might cruise along for a full second before you take action. Those of us over 55 will typically have reaction times slower than 0.75 second, and our "fatigued" reaction time will be 1.5 seconds or longer.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

It's still gear. It doesn't have the race rep background that a lot of other brands have, their helmets tend to be loud and heavy with graphics that scream "street stunter", but it's better than no gear. If I had the choice between another brand that fit like poo poo and Icon gear that fit well, I'd wear it. Women really get the shaft on motorcycle gear and Icon at least tries a little bit.

[img Icon Hello Kitty assless chaps]

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

Keeping your core temp up will really help keep your extremities warm.

I keep hearing this but my experience is when it's really cold, heated gloves are the way to go.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
After wearing my HJC CL-15 for only a month or two, I gotta say the build quality is poo poo compared to my old CL-14. The whole thing feels cheap, vents are bad, visor mechanism is meh.

For the $85 I spent it's not terrible, but I think I'll spring for a leftover RF-1000 if I can find one after Christmas.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a one-piece textile suite? Looking for something with a good amount of protection on it for use with touring.

Aerostich Roadcrafter.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Nate Falls posted:

Even cheaper is the Fieldsheer Highland, which kept me toasty and dry all the way to the arctic circle some years back, although I've recently had the epiphany that it's probably cheaper and just as effective to just wear my regular poo poo under a dedicated rainsuit.

A friend has that Fieldsheer suit. The construction quality isn't in the same league as my Roadcrafter.

Regarding the helmet discussion, I'm pretty firmly in the "buy a helmet that actually fits" camp. Yes, you probably aren't loving much with the helmet's ability to protect you, but that's a hell of a gamble.

Skier fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 23, 2009

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Nate Falls posted:

Yeah, it's also $500 cheaper.

It shows. :(

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Zenaida posted:

How's the Roadcrafter in hot weather? I've been thinking about getting one, but most of my touring has involved stretches through the Southern California desert, so something non-breathable is kind of a drag. The Olympia Phantom I've been using is almost tolerable with all the vents open.

For the SoCal desert I would probably look for something else.

My experience with the suit is if you're moving at all, you're good up to 100 degrees or so. After that you're going to be wishin' for mesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
My Roadcrafter came back from Aerostich's cleaning, inspection and waterproofing service. I also had them do some repairs on their suggestion, such as new velcro in places and replacing some zipper sliders.

The damned thing looks, feels and smells like a new suit. :flashfap: