Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

ranathari posted:

What do you guys think of RST leathers? I'm thinking of getting an RST SRT leather jacket with a view to buying the trousers at a later date (click for bigger):

I've seen enough people using these that I can only presume that they're ok. If you can afford to pony up a bit more for a set of A*'s, Dainese, or the likes then they're all excellent quality and will last. I think my two-piece A*'s were end of line and came to about £400. If you can live without knee sliders you can probably get them for cheaper too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003

ranathari posted:

I picked up a new jacket today!

It's a really nice, tight fit with perforated front panels and elasticated material on the inner arms to allow stretch on sportsbikes. It just exudes an aura of reassurance that I'm not going to lose my skin if I crash.

Does it zip to a set of trousers? I quite like the look of the RST stuff, but new sets of leathers are a long way down my current shopping list. Also are those gloves really short, or do your sleeves ride up a long way?

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
Roof are another zany helmet manufacturer, even if the site does only seem to work in French.

They do a lot of funky stuff, especially if you don't mind it being a flip face. I used to see a LOT of couriers wearing them, and 'mean' certainly features into it.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003

Uthor posted:

How long do you guys usually go before replacing gloves? I've got about 5,000 miles on my current pair and the left hand is starting to crease pretty badly, which bothers my hand. I was wondering if 5k miles is about average, high, or low?

About 60k miles between two pairs, most of it on my A*'s though. Neither are worn through in any part, so they're staying on.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I just want to third the non-race boots for road riding. I wore my way through a pair of A* SMX's, which I thought were truly great ... until I replaced them with these:

http://www.alpinestars.com/Vector_Boot/pd/np/112/p/20802.html

Alpinestar Vectors. They're both incredibly comfortable and incredibly mean. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't go on a killing spree whilst wearing them just because.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003

kcer posted:

They'd be for commuting and weekend rides mostly in Summer with temperates of about 20 to 30ºC (70-80ºF?). Leather overpants would be a bonus for the commute side, but will this affect me too much spending a whole day riding?

Can someone throw me a few ideas please?

e: Currently:

Helmet - Scorpion EXO-400
Gloves - Alpinestars SP-1 or Weise SPS (not seen Weise mentioned much here)
Boots - One-o-ones, but I can't say I'm too keen on them

RST are perfectly good leathers, as are pretty much any of the main brands you'll find in any bike store. H&G, RST, A*, Dainese, BKS ... you name it, it probably won't be that bad. Look for CE armour, decent thickness leather (1.4mm? or am I thinking minimum tyre tread depth?), good quality stitching - and most importantly, a good fit. If you're going to be commuting and pleasure riding here then I'd think you would want to look for perforated leathers to keep you cool.

All of the above brands make good 2 piece suits, which I would recommend you get. This is a nice combo for both commuting and is comfortable for riding all day. You can then get rain gear to go over the top of that should you get caught out. I commute daily into London in a 2 piece with additional rain gear, which I wear absolutely everywhere.

If you're interested in real bike boots (over the ankle) then I'd suggest looking at something like Oxtar, A* SMX, Sidi Vertebra(?) or other such nice looking footwear.

If you can get into all this gear every day then you're less likely to ruin my journey by having to be scraped off the pavement :mad:

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I'm sure I'll be lambasted for saying it but I find that riding sensibly is a lot more important than the colour of your clothing. Every time I've had someone turn infront of me or not see me, a hi-vis wouldn't of made any difference. Pedestrians looking the wrong way when crossing the road don't help with that record :argh:

Having said all that, during winter I have a hi-vis vest that I wear since I spend my entire commute in complete darkness and it sucks. Fellow engineering firm worker right here, site saftey gear is the best freebie ever.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
Leathers offer the best all round protection. If you can afford them then you probably should. However they're not always as comfortable in adverse weather (both hot and cold), and if you are planning on spending most of your time riding in 40c+ or 0c then you might want to reconsider.

Textiles can protect well, but check out the abrasion chart that French Canadian just posted. It gives you an idea of what to expect in a slide. If you hit anything then you're probably buggered anyway.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I have a question for any antipodeans. I'm looking to pick up a bike while in Sydney for a few years and initially had the thought of buying some new gear when I arrive to avoid having to ship all my crap. However a little internet perusing seems to tell me that anything bike related is incredibly, horribly expensive.

For example, I happen to need a new helmet. I was looking at a Shoei XR1000, which in the UK retails at around £215. The cheapest I can find it online in Aus is ~$680. Even at the current exchange rate that's almost 1/3rd more expensive.

Have I missed a trick here? Or does the "it's imported so we're going to charge you up the arse" rule actually apply to every single thing in the country? If so, are there any better ways to buy bike gear once resident?

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003

Dubs posted:

Charun posted:

Thanks for the info - didn't realise there was an Australia specific helmet sticker. That's a bit of a poo poo. Do the police actually check these things if you get pulled over? The dark visor thing applies here in the UK too, but the only time you're going to get pulled for wearing one is if you're riding like a total cock.

I guess I'll just bring everything I own and see about picking up another lid when I get there.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
Looking for a glove recommendation ,non-US so handroids are out.

I have a pair of Dianese MIG C2's which I've worn for four years straight, and have finally worn a hole in the fingertips. They are pretty nice gloves, have served well, but I'm disappointed in the way they've failed.

What I'm looking for is: cuff length (preferably not gauntlet, but possible), leather or close, armoured, reasonably ventilated, and not too stupidly priced - upto AU$150.

Any advice is welcome.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003

Supradog posted:

You do know that Knox is British right?
I buy them directly from https://www.planet-knox.com/ as no-one stocks them in Norway either.

Edit: and the 4th gen handroid pods are just released

https://youtu.be/oOhrdvQYWXk

Apologies, I had no idea Handroids were made by Knox. I've seen them mainly mentioned by our American colleagues, so figured they were primarily sold there. The Handpods look fantastic, however I can't possibly justify the cost once shipping is factored in.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Have a look at Five gloves, I bought a pair on the recommendation of a friend who rides a lot more than me, he loving loves them. Mine are not even through the break-in period yet but they seem like perfectly nice gloves so far. Coming from a pair of A* GP Plus (IIRC).

Thanks, they look really good. Which gloves in the range do you have? I like the look of the SF1/2, but probably a bit more than I want to spend.

I think I'm going to try on a pair of A* SMX/GP Air's when I can next get out to the bike shop. I've had GP Plus's in the past that I loved, but the full size and lack of ventilation aren't as appropriate for my current circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
Latex unders and a spare pair of gloves in your bag for if the first ones don't dry in time for your trip home.