Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gr3y posted:

Attention HJC CL-15, CL-SP, and ZXSP users:
http://newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/replacement_base_plates_gear_kits_and_other_parts/hjc/breath_guard_for_cl_15_and_cl_sp_helmets.html

This thing is loving awesome. No more fogging, even with the vents closed, stitting outside, with visor down. Best :10bux: you can spend on your lid.
I believe these are sold on Amazon for a dollar less and maybe free shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm looking for some boots, myself, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge with River Road. They seem to be more cruiser-style, but I like that a lot more than the sport styles that look like moonboots or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone have any thoughts on FieldSheer's mesh overpants? MotorcycleCloseouts has a couple pairs for sale pretty cheap.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_titanium+air-3+mesh+pants+with+quilted+liner

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_four+season+mesh+overpants

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've got this one in the "black phantom" color (solid black with none of the stupid graphics on it).

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/hat_trick_mesh_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

I wore it with all liners when it was about 55 out, and it was almost too warm, and I've been riding with no liners now that it's in the 80s and it's comfortable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

And/or an unfavorite "buncha corporate douchebags shop, so try stuff on there and then order your size online" shop?

Coleman's in Falls Church falls into this. And even their selection of pants kind of sucks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of zippers, I got a pair of FieldSheer pants that came with a zipper. Do I just take the jacket and top zipper half in and tell the tailor where I want it, or is it best to take both and have them measure?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

It'd be safer to take them both in and get it fitted correctly, but you could get away with just bringing the jacket and zipper.
That's what I figured. Do I have them measured while standing, or take them out to the bike and measure while sitting on the bike?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mike fictitious posted:

I too have a pants question.

I probably should have gone to the shop for my first pair of pants, but I was trying to save money.

I bought Fieldsheer Titanium Air 3 Mesh Pants. I got the normal pants size I wear, 40". Initially, the knee armor was too low, but I moved it up to the highest setting and it seems to be better. It sags while I am standing, but goes relatively into place when I sit down.

The other problem is that the pants just feel baggy. I have to wear them up over my gut like an old man for everything to line up (which I assume must be normal to make it line up with the jacket zipper). There are two points of leg compression, and they don't do much for me. The rear end is also enormous and empty. The inner lining of nylon seems to fit fine, but the mesh exterior is loose and all over the place.

Is this normal? Just how loving enormous would someone have to be to fill these out? I'm 6'4" 240 and there's so much room! As over-pants, which I don't think they are designed for, it got somewhat better, but not much. I got them to ride in the summer anyways, and I don't want to wear jeans too.

Should I just suck it up, return them, and head to a shop?
The FieldSheer overpants I got fit the same way, although they're a bit too long, I think. I think it's how they're supposed to fit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I ordered one of those Scorpion EXO-700s NewEnough has on sale. Now I have more helmets than heads.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OrangeFurious posted:

Anyone have any more info or thoughts on this? I'm thinking about a new helmet and this has me wondering if the premium Snell rated brands (Arai, Shoei, Suomy, etc) are all that much safer than the less expensive DOT/ECE certified brands.

Suomy, at least, offers ECE/DOT helmets (or maybe BSI).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I almost feel like that XXL would fit me properly.

:(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sectoidman posted:

How is the EXO-700 compared to an HJC CL-15? Are the head shapes and sizing comparable? Will it fit glasses?
Owning both:

The CL-15 sizing is a bit larger than the EXO-700. My HJC is definitely a little looser than the Scorpion and they're both larges. The head shapes are similar if not identical, and you may need to get thinner cheek pads for the Scorpion (I do, but they're not so uncomfortable that I have problems wearing as is). I've tried putting glasses on and they mostly fit, but you'd probably need narrower ones than I have. All said, I like the Scorpion a bit better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chairon posted:

WHat happens when you crash in a helmet is your head hits the material, that hits the shell and the shell hits the ground. It works by the material being destroyed, thus adsorbing a large amount of energy. Think of it like Styrofoam. When you press your thumb or something into styrofoam, it doesn't come back, right? It's the same with your helmet.

Once it's hit and the material compresses, it can no longer provide you any meaningful protection.

This, yes. You could theoretically continue to use the helmet provided you're willing to gamble that you won't hit the same area again. Don't do that. Buy a new helmet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bung posted:

the Shures have wiring problems.

Did you lose the right ear? Because that happened with the Shures I had (not E2Cs, though).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Batman suit has been priced at $998 for a limited time (a savings of $195). You can also purchase the pieces individually.

I am seriously considering the gloves since I need a new pair anyway. :o:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

Coupon!? I am about to pull the trigger on some gear that'll get me comfortable for the 40 degree mornings in the coming months...
I've got a coupon if you want it. It;s good till Oct. 6, and I don't expect to be buying anything. PM me if you want it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Humper posted:

Coleman Powersports in Falls Church is really good imo
Yeah, Coleman's kind of sucks, but they definitely have a good selection of helmets.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saint Melmoth posted:

If you're going to Coleman's go to the Woodbridge location. The gear selection there is a LOT better.

Also the salespeople are douchebags quite so much.
Falls Church is like a 15 minute ride. Woodbridge is quite a bit more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jabs posted:

Gets me curious as to whether or not I can find a DOT/ECE 22.05/NON-Snell rated helmet in the U.S.
Yeah, you can. I think the general thought is that it's not easy or possible to pass both Snell M2005 and ECE, but either can pass DOT (which is self-certified, anyway). For sure I've seen DOT/ECE helmets from Suomy. Checking their site, it looks like they have ECE/BSI/DOT and even a few that pass ECE, BSI, DOT, and Snell M2000, and they don't even worry about Snell M2005.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AncientTV posted:

It sounds like you're paying a lot for the features. It has armor that can be had in cheaper jackets, no zipper attachment for pants, and I would expect it to constructed out of full-grain leather at that price.
That actually looks like weaker armor than what came in my $75 Fieldsheer mesh jacket (and not dissimilar to what came in my Scorpion Hat Trick).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PestiferousTrollop posted:

Does anyone know good places in the Northern Virginia area to go try on gear. I went to a couple places in Manassas and Falls Church, but both had terrible selections.

I'm really concerned about buying online, since even the few jackets I tried on in the stores seemed to vary pretty significantly.
Coleman's has the best selection I know of in the area, and it's not all that great. You may want to head down to the Woodbridge location, although I haven't been, myself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll put it this way: I've been to Coleman's Falls Church, Ellicott City Motorsports, Free State Cycles, and Clinton Cycles, and Coleman's and Clinton had pretty similar selections. Clinton may have had slightly more, but not that much. You may want to check them out, if you haven't. Don't even bother with Ellicott or Free State for gear. Their gear sections are tiny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jdonz posted:

poo poo, I'm pretty dumb. I had to put out a fire at work and I completely forgot I had posted asking for a coupon. Thanks Tsaven, I appreciate it, but I just placed the order.
Give NE a call. They may be willing to give you discount anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

There's a lot of debate out there on this subject.

Me, I go with the Euro specs...ECE/BSI standards. They just make more sense to me. After a couple of nasty crashes in Suomy helmets, I won't wear anything else. To me, SNELL requirements test for just the wrong things. We'll see how they revise things in 2010, when they're up for changing things around again.
Snell 2010 is reportedly in line with ECE/BSI standards enough that only one shell will be needed to pass all three (plus DOT, but it's pretty much a joke in comparison).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

Has anyone owned both the Scarab and the Winter Scarab? I like these gloves enough that I'm going to order a pair for summer, but wondered about the difference in fit...
I'll let you know when I get home. My summer ones were delivered today along with a pair of boots.

EDIT: They're a little snugger than the Winter Scarab ones. Both size large.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 10, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kind of want to turn the DRZ reflective black now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pr0zac posted:

This is definitely true, but lets not forget the most important thing when it comes to motorcycle gear, looking cool, which makes one necessary if you ride an SM.

Click here for the full 510x768 image.

Yes, I just really wanted to post that picture of me.
Guess I need to invest in a motocross helmet and goggles now. =/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's really only for serious injuries. You need a pretty hard hit to cause brain swelling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I realized I worded it poorly but figured everyone would get the gist. I was listing that as a "pro" for the collarless jacket. I see neck tattoos a lot on the stuntahs around here. I think they're sort of funny for the reason already said - you can tell at a glance they're never going to hold a serious job ever again.
professional factory stunna is pretty serious work brah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How cheap is cheap? NewEnough has the HJC CL-15 for $69 in some colors.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_15_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_15_solid_motorcycle_helmet.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Sup hi-viz Phantom buddy :hfive:

It stops being hi-viz when you cake it in mud. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey tell me the Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 is terrible so I don't buy a jacket I don't need.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redscare posted:

The New Enough closeout emails are evil
Yeah. It's a good thing this jacket is terrible, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

We need to get someone else going to the Apr 24-25 trackday at Autobahn to dress completely in red. Then I'll be in yellow and with you in blue, we'll have the Power Rangers! :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*sigh* Time to start looking like a Power Ranger for me. I just ordered a $40 Teknik Chicane jacket from New Enough. And already got shipping notification.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

How are the scorpion jackets quality wise? This is on closeout and the blue matches the ninja so I was thinking of taking it over the other awesome closeout deal.
I've crashed in one of their textile jackets and it held up fine. Just a small scuff on on the upper chest. If I hadn't just ordered one of the closeout Chicanes, I'd be all over one of those. I have too many jackets as it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

Welp it's ordered. Getting dangerously close to power rangers territory here.
I'm returning the Chicane. It's probably one size too big and it's not what I thought it was (me being stupid: I thought it was leather)...so I'm going to apply the money to one of those Scorpions. :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Meh. I don't think there's a downside to them, but I don't think there's a huge gain, either. What's saved my rear end in crashes has been proper fitting gear and knowing how to fall from doing years of martial arts. Most injuries occur when your arms and legs are sticking out, the best thing to do is close your hands and attempt to bring your legs and arms into your body, if you'd tumbling, and slide on your rear end/back without putting your legs or arms down if you're sliding.

Nah brah you gotta slide on your knees and elbows. You'd get it if you were pro.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

How are the scorpion jackets quality wise? This is on closeout and the blue matches the ninja so I was thinking of taking it over the other awesome closeout deal.
This came today. Seems like a good jacket, although the first thing I managed to do was rip off one of the snaps for the liner. Not a big deal but just :bang: enough.

ari.gato posted:

So what's a good ~$75 glove that won't fall apart on me when I need it most?
If they're still available in your size, I got a pair of Cortech Scarab gloves from Bike Bandit on clearance for ~$40 and they seem like pretty decent gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

drat I almost did the same thing. Who the hell has the snap wrap around a ring and connect to itself instead of the jacket?

Is yours tight as hell, too? Mine is practically skin-tight with the liner in, the torso barely meets the top of my jeans, but the sleeves are the perfect length. First impression was I need a size larger, but I haven't gotten a new leather jacket in awhile so it could just be the style.
Well, the liner system is basically the same as my textile Scorpion jacket, so I should have expected it. It's one of the sleeve ones, so it's really not that big a deal at all, just annoying. It's definitely a bit more snug than the textile one, although the measurements are supposed to be the same. This isn't really a bad thing, though, since leathers are supposed to be snug, and it still fits my fat rear end (well, fat gut) fine. The length is probably a bit short for me since I'm tall, but they don't have tall sizes, so I go with what's there. As you said, though, it is part of the style. They're usually cut shorter than a fashion jacket so they don't bunch up when you're leaned forward on the bike.