Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm looking to do a lot of touring this summer and was considering the Aerostich for a while. But between the alleged lack of cooling in really hot weather and the price, I couldn't bring myself to get it.

I got an Olympia Airglide setup instead and I really like it. It's usefull, well made and feels like it protects well. Not perfect, but I like it as a street setup and it was cheaper than a stich by about 300 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

For all my street riding now I'm using Olympia Airglide 2 jacket/pants. Textile with mesh panels, very cool in warm weather. And both have a removable wind and waterproof liner that makes them warm into the 40s. I've been drizzled on and didn't get wet, but firsthand have no experience with it in heavy rain.

Overall I like the setup a lot, it's hugely flexible, comfy, decently armored, and doesn't look like space gear.

Don't be fooled by the crappy website, it's good gear: http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

*Also I won't wear pure mesh anymore, the textile with mesh panels and my perfed leather suit are cool enough and when I went down at ~20mph in my mesh pants they got totally trashed and I rashed up my knee.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

aventari posted:

I'm looking for new gloves, something that will protect me, but I can wear commuting to work everyday.

I'd like to spend <$100 but i could go a little higher. I also want to use these gloves at the occasional trackday.
What does you guys think of Held gloves? specifically: http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/steve_motorcycle_gloves.html
or http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/ninja_motorcycle_gloves.html

hmm that's interesting. I'm still happy I got the Scorpion :)

I have the Ninjas and I really like them. Gives a lot of dexterity and held up very well in a lowside. The vents are nice for warm and hot weather, and although they are fine in mild temperatures and light rain, if it's pouring or freezing outside and you're going to be riding for a while you'll need a different pair. But overall very happy with them, it's a quality glove.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Portable591 posted:

I think it was someone on these same forums that crashed in them a few months ago. He said they didn't really hold up at all, even in such a low speed fall (~25 mph I think), and still got rashed on his legs.

Maybe that was me, I've posted about going down in my A* Airflo mesh overpants before. They make me want to stay away from mesh anything, literally the side of the pants I went down on burst open at the zipper and got totally destroyed. My initial impact was on my right knee, which got rashed up after the mesh died, and the rash was WORSE than when I had a lowside at ~40mph wearing cargo pants and fell right on my left knee (luckily slid on the back of my leather jacket soon after).

I have textile gear with some mesh panels now for when I don't want to wear 1pc leathers. Better armor and feels a lot safer than the mesh, hopefully it will never be tested.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Great commuting/touring/over clothes/whatever gear:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/

Don't mind the silly catalog models, they make some good, reasonably priced stuff and I haven't worn anything other than my Airglide jacket/pants since I got them.

I still have a leather 1pc for railin da twistiez and future track days but for everything else the olympia is awesome. The airglide I have is probably a little less protective than a Roadcrafter from 'Stich, but it cost around half as much and in my opinion it's much more useful for hot weather (removable liners are great, just don't get stuck without them in the rain...).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Mapless posted:

Man, gently caress that noise.
Do you honestly trust them for protection?

Why not? Helmet liners aren't for protection, they're for fit. Unless something flew up into the helmet to puncture the inflatable pad I don't see why it wouldn't keep the helmet in place any worse than foam/fabric.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Speaking of gloves, I recently picked up a pair of Held Akira. My old gloves were Held Ninjas and I loved them, so I decided to stick with the same brand and go a little higher end.

I had problems with the Akira right away. I wore a size 10 Ninja and it was a flawless fit, but apparantly the sizing has changed and a 10 Akira was massively too big. I got another pair in 8.5 and at first check they fit OK and to be honest I just wanted my new gloves and to be done with it. After a test ride I found that while the hand portion of the glove is somewhat small and I was getting significant discomfort within 30min of riding, the fingers are all slightly too long. Not too big, just too long. Weird. And the thumb is even longer... did I get funny hands all of the sudden? I'm used to gloves being stiff at first and I really wanted to get the Akiras broken in but they simply don't fit my hand. Ruined the first half of my ride, until I went and cheered myself up with slow speed cornering practice and wheelies in an industrial park.

Bottom line is while they're made well (a little better than the Ninja perhaps although mine are years old), and the 'roo palm is nice, I hate them so much I found some place that has size 10 ninjas still lying around and ordered them. Since I've ridden the Akiras it looks like I'll probably ebay them, although I should still end up spending less since the Ninja costs half as much.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

This has been passed around on a number of sites, and i'm sorry, but an impact velocity of 140mph? I think not. I don't know what this guy did, but if those jackets can save someone from going into something at 140mph, we should be erecting crosses and calling them jesus.

Yeah I was wondering where that figure came from myself. 140 into an object? Pulease, you're dead. And the article states it was 140mph impact velocity into the ground, which as I understand it means he was skydiving at the time... I think if those kinds of speeds were actually involved it would be a street racing media scare story as opposed to a gear success story.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm selling my Held Akira gloves since I don't really need them and they don't fit my hand as well as some other gloves.

Red/black size 8.5, worn twice commuting and once on a ~60 mile Sunday ride. They aren't even broken in yet. You can see a very slight discoloration on the right hand palm, that's from the new throttle grip I had on. It's a nice glove and it's made well, but the fitment just wasn't for me and I'm unable to exhange them. It's a track/street/race glove with armor on the knuckle and wrist, with a soft kangaroo palm. Here is the newenough info page on them: http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/akira_motorcycle_gloves.html

Paid $200 for them, looking to get $160 shipped, offers maybe considered. Feel free to email me at infinotize@gmail.com for fastest response.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

My helimot suit showed up today:

Looks like an awesome piece of gear. Stylish knee sliders :)

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I have Vertigo Airs for nice weather tw1sti3z riding and future track use. Awesome boots, you won't be disappointed. Lots of protection and they feel more at home on the bike than street boots, but don't try walking around in them all day.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I just nabbed a pair of Kushitani GPR gloves at a local shop. Hooooly poo poo, these are easily the best gloves I've ever worn and they fit perfectly (drat you Held for changing your sizing). They are so crazy I might have to pick up a pair or street/touring gloves just so I don't wear them out too fast =/

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

swanage posted:

Are they mesh or do they have some insulation? Because I've been looking for a good pair of insulating (really just sealed to wind) gloves.

Also which shop? :stalker:

edit: n/m I just looked up, drat those look nice.

There are no air vents but I wouldn't really call them insulated either, although there is a ton of padding throughout the glove. It's been warm the past 2 days here so not sure how they stack up in the cold but they definitely aren't a winter glove. Kinda like an all purpose track glove I guess.

I got them from https://www.motonekoparts.com , which is conveniently located about 15 min from me.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

swanage posted:

I've driven by their place before but never stopped in I think I will go check them out some time.

Forgot you were the other Baltimoron for a sec ;) It's small but they have a lot of gear and are supposively down on stock until spring. The owners are nice though and they seem willing to work with prices, and they do the cheapest tire changes that I've found around so far ($20 off bike).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Anyone have leathers repair experiences? I crashed on Saturday and my suit was rashed up pretty bad. Most of it is surface scrapes and the leather appears to be mostly intact... but there is at least one tear from a stretch panel on the side of one of the knees. I'd rather not have to buy a new suit altogether. I don't really know where the cutoff lies between just scraped and ugly and needs to be repaired.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

Depending on where you're located, if there's a custom leather shop in the area they should be able to repair it. However, most over the rack suits typically aren't work repairing due to the cost involved, depending on how expensive your suit was and who made it. Do you have pics of the damage?

Yeah - http://userpages.umbc.edu/~drewg1/agv/

It's an off the rack AGV I got used and already crashed once so it was cheap. In the last pic you can see it's made by Corner, which is supposedly better than AGV's new in house stuff.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

Only thing i'd be worried about there is the stretch panel on the back of the leg. The rest of it, if it's as superficial as it looks in the pictures, is fine. No split seams or the like?

Nope the seams are all fine. I'll probably just sew up the stretch and be good to go.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Figures something like that comes out a month after I get my stich. Looks kindof like the same thing. It will probably be a while before there is a real handle on how they work in all real world conditions.

I just got some Revit do everything boots and winter gloves, and they are both very good, and very useable after a 30mph lowside. Gloves could be warmer but around 30 degrees with heated grips on my hands are fine.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I've become disenchanted with the EXO-700 after having 2 for a couple of years. General build quality just isn't that great. It flows a ton of air, but leaks air through the visor or elsewhere onto your face, has been garbage in rain (it fogs anyway, which makes you open the visor, which opens too far and blinds you, and starts water running down the inside, and then you're hosed and have to wipe the thing constantly).

I tried one of those respro anti fog things and it basically funneled the torrent of air that comes through the chin in the scorpion, even with the aero-skirt, right at my eyes. And fogged anyway. Quest for the perfect all weather helmet setup continues!

I guess when I figure I got each 700 for just over $100... I can't complain. There isn't a better value than an EXO on closeout.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 31, 2009

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Whoa apparently the EXO-700 has been moderately updated. I have been wearing one I got on closeout last year (which means it's probably a couple years old at least by now) and just ordered a brand new one. Differences:

* Feels better, maybe placebo or just the new-ness of it, sounds less like cheap creaking plastic when I put it on.

* Top center vent has 3 levels of open, it could be that mine is gummed up but I feel like there's only 2.

* Revised nose breath deflector, with better vents near it, a little better shape, and it doesn't constantly fall and get pulled out like the old one (people with EXOs know what I mean).

* MORE VISOR DETENTS!!! The old one's smallest opening is way too big, this one has a small visor crack opening. They solved my biggest pet peeve with the exo-700. This really brings out the flexibility in the visor with extra detents, but it's manageable.

Overall I'm very impressed, I was expecting the exact same helmet. I tried on a ton of helmets, the only major brand I missed being AGV cause noone here carries it, but the 700 is honestly my favorite one all around except for the Shoei X-11, Arai Quantum 2 and Corsair (my favorite by far, but way too expensive and vent mechanisms feel cheaper than my scorpion), and Shark RSR2. Being less than half the price of any of those it was a pretty easy choice.

Plus it's in neon yellow...

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Amber, yellow and "high-def" visors are for really cloudy and overcast conditions. Clear is the only way to go at night.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

I was planning on replacing my helmet after my crash, since the general rule is any hit means it's useless, but I've been thinking about this and am wondering what the basis is for it? Is it because the structural integrity is compromised or something? And what counts as a "hit". I've heard guys say that if your helmet falls off your seat and hits the ground it's no good anymore. Mine took a scrapping on the side, but is smooth all across and am now wondering if it really needs replacing (pic below). I remember seeing something on here where a post-impacted helmet took a beating from an axe and held up. Cue "is your life not worth a helmet?" lines.

If you really must know a lot of helmet companies will let you send in the helmet and have it tested (for a fee) for integrity.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I wear a 2pc aerostich everywhere (although I never actually end up separating the pieces). I've just come to accept the looks and retarded questions like "isn't that thing hot!??" You can have fun with it and tell people it has AC. Sometimes, they believe you.

If I'm doing something quick I just walk around in it, if I'm going to be sitting down or something I will take it off and stash it in a corner or under a table or something. I only lock gear to my bike if I'll be going somewhere and walking around where I can't stash it safely indoors.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I like my 700... BUT!

Mine will fog when it's very cold or somewhat cold and rainy, even with newish visor :colbert:

Chin curtain (sold separately :rolleyes: ) is a must, too much crap flies through the open chin into my eyes without it. Maybe that helps it fog.
I love love love the radioactive yellow color. No one will ever not see you with it on. I wish other makes did this more (Arai has one but it's not quite as bright, Shoei has an orange but same deal).

Overall kinda cheap but I'm on my third one. It might get dethroned by an RF1100, I gotta try one on, but the only other helmet I've liked better overall was a Corsair V/RX7 and I'm not spending that much money for a helmet with vent mechanisms that feel cheaper than the scorpion.

Some friends of mine have 400s and I agree with the boat anchor. They're a bit too low end I think. I've tried on a 1000 and I think the sunshade is stupid and the cheekpad pump is moot if you get a fitting helmet, most makes let you swap cheekpads anyway.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Chiming in on Roadcrafters, as someone who has had a 2-piece for a few years.

- Don't get the 2 piece, I've never worn half of the suit.
- It's not waterproof and nikwax will not make it waterproof
- It lets wind in and is generally not great in freezing weather
- It vents OK but in super hot weather it's not great

So in spite of spending big bucks on my do-it-all suit, I still have mesh gear for the heat, have no real gear for hot weather in the rain, and for cold or cold/rainy I just bought some BMG pants and jacket since it's properly warm and waterproof and I'm going to tour europe for a few months in fall.

So don't delude yourself, there is no magic suit that can handle everything. Roadcrafter is convenient for mild weather and is easy on/off, but it costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't buy a helmet without trying it on. Also don't buy a helmet from a place that will let you return it, because what do you think they do once you return it? And how many people (with how many ideas of proper helmet care) do you think will have tried wearing the one you do get? There's a reason you always insist on getting a new, boxed lid rather than the display model in a shop)

Jesus