Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
What are you guys wearing for hot-weather gear? I'm riding to class and work every day and I need something non-leather (because I ride in the rain too) that will vent as much as possible. Speeds are <50mph at all times, I have full leathers to wear for high-speed stuff.

Is mesh gonna work for <50mph riding? I ride 2 miles to work and between .5 and 1 mile to class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
How do I keep my leathers in good shape? Also, what are you guys using to clean them?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyone have stories about JoeRocket gear?

I own a JR blaster jacket and those exact pants. They seem fine, I like them :)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

I had a Joe Rocket mesh+perf'd leather jacket that I wore during the summer that I lowsided in last year.

How did it hold up?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

I only landed/skidded on the perfed leather, which scuffed up a bit but otherwise did fine. The JR textile pants I was wearing, which were a much heavier fabric than the mesh on the jacket, melted through in about 3 or 4 spots. Not tore, MELTED. If I hadn't been wearing jeans underneath them I would've been picking polyester out of my legs for days.

Sounds like I'll be buying more leather gear. How fast of a lowside was it?

On that account, anybody got a recommendation for a good full-perf jacket? The only one I've seen so far is the one that vanson sells on newenough (perf back and arms)

Blaise fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 31, 2007

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Oh man, that looks like a great deal. I may order one tomorrow.... :woop:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
:eek: And to think that I still haven't bought a new helmet and proper gloves...

So, uh, are textile jackets usually much more 'relaxed' than leather ones? I got my two MotoGP jackets today (pictured) and while the leather one is drat near perfect, the textile one is way big in the torso.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

RealDealNamowicz posted:

:psyduck: How much of that do you actually wear?

All of it except the JR jacket.

Solid Leather = Cold Weather
Perf Leather = Warm Weather
Tex = Rain

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

RealDealNamowicz posted:

I have one jacket for everything :(

Step 1: Sell extra gear
Step 2: Profit :)

Don't you get hot? My Solid leather jacket feels too warm over 75-80*, and it gets a bit over that in the summertime.

At the same time, I won't wear anything less than solid leather when riding any sort of distance under 50*.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Summer '07 Riding Gear:

Black Power Ranger!

Scorpion EXO700
MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket
Teknic Lightning Gloves
VelocityGear Back Protector
JR Blaster pants
Sidi Vertigo Boots

Now I just need the black bike...

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

pr0zac posted:

I've got the same jacket and pants. After my ~500 mile ride today I have to say, its a good combination. Just wondering, how'd you get the set to connect? My method involved my friend Jen, a sewing machine, and way too much thread.

They don't, at least not yet. My method is going to involve the Amish and about $5 :)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

pr0zac posted:

Great deal on a Teknic coat over at newenough right now:
http://newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/teknic/chicane_perforated_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html
Can actually find pants that attach to this thing too as opposed to that MotoGP Corkscrew jacket I bought a few months ago. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :colbert:

Uhm, just have the given zipper attachment that comes with whatever pants you buy sown into the jacket. I've been meaning to do that myself actually.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

iroc_dis posted:

Oops. How did this get on me

That's a fantastic suit... 'roo leather? :D

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

redscare posted:

I've recently secured some funding for a bike so its time to buy some stuff to keep my squishy bits on the inside of me where they belong. A stumbling block is that I have about $500 to work with.

Thankfully, I already have a helmet, a 3 year old Vemar that's only been worn a couple times for Go-Karting and once for a track day in a car, so that's not a problem.

Jacket: I'm leaning towards that Corkscrew MotoGP newenough has for peanuts. Does anyone know how it would handle 90+ heat?

Boots: Any opinions on these? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/teknic/defender_motorcycle_boots.html

The waterproofing isn't really necessary, but the price is right.

Gloves: Are these as rubbish as I think they are? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/first_gear/mesh_tex_motorcycle_gloves.html

Also, are short gloves any good or should I just buy gauntlets?

Pants: Everything seems stupid expensive. Uhm...help?

I own the Corkscrew Jacket. I've ridden in 90+ degree heat with it and I haven't died yet, but it's not full perf so don't expect anything amazing (most of the torso isn't perforated). For the price you really can't complain though, I love mine.

I also own those boots... they're really warm, I only wear them in the rain and cold weather.

Don't buy mesh-tex gloves. I've seen too many pairs of good leather gloves wear through... buy good stuff!

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Valt posted:

I know there isn't a lot of love for Icon or Joe Rocket stuff here. But I wanted to see if anyone had experience with either this jacket or gloves.

http://www.moto4less.com/icon-timax-2-jackets-p-street-icon-jackets-men.html

They both seemed to be reasonably priced. From what I gather Icon stuff can be a little bit overpriced. But 300 for a jacket doesn't seem to be to bad, am I missing something here?

$300 for a textile jacket is a RIPOFF. Seriously, I don't mind Icon stuff, I know it's flashy and I've seen people wreck in their leather stuff with no issues, but their price is often really high considering what they offer and this is an extreme example of such.

I paid $140 shipped for my MotoGP Corkscrew leather jacket with CE armor from newenough. Hell, $215 would get you a perf Icon jacket:

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/icon/pursuit_perforated_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

:sigh:

You don't need gear to ride at PennState. I seriously see this guy ride around like this.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^ Buy pants with integrated armor.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I just got a pair of racegloves in the mail: Teknic SpeedStars, cost me quite a bit of money.

They feel a bit on the small side, although I've had Teknic gloves in the past, they never seemed quite this tight. Should I expect them to loosen up a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Well, the elastic on the lowerhand is kind of constricting my lower thumb, I'm not so worried about that, but the fingers are all long enough just really stiff and the armoring in the fingers kind of hurts.

This is part of why I like buying used gear :)