Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Can anyone recommend me some good well priced (read, poor college student priced) two piece leather sets that I can pickup for doing trackdays and riding this summer? I was really hoping to spend less than $600 but I'm thinking if I wait a while I could spend as much as $1000.

I was looking at the Teknics Lightning suit and the AGV Echo suit but I'm not sure about the quality of a suit that cheap. I should probably stop being so impatient and wait til I can spend more on good quality leather. Also, how stupid is it to purchase without having tried that exact suit? I know my size from trying on stuff from a local shop, but I'm not sure how universal I can assume that size is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
How compatible are connective zippers between brands? If I get that MotoGP jacket am I then required to get a pair of MotoGP pants to go with it? I'm assuming so, just thought to check though.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

aventari posted:

bought a new helmet today to replace my ill-fitting 10 year old HJC CL-10.

Scorpion EXO700 Rivet

I spent about 30 minutes at the local shop trying on helmets from Aria, Shoei, HJC and some others, and this $210 Scorpion and a $400 Shoei fit the best. I dont like graphics and the Shoei didn't have any, but the the Shoei didn't have a breath deflector and seemed to fog up in the store, while I couldn't make the Scorpion fog up. That and $200 less sealed the deal.

I know I could get this helmet cheaper online (I'm not sure how cheap) but I wanted it today so I ponied up the $210.

It's a small, I'm a pin head

I had that helmet (Rivet in blue) and just replaced it after my accident with a Shoei. The Shoei is ridiculously comfortable and light but I kind of regret not buying another Scorpion. I don't think its $150 nicer though, and it does fog up a lot easier.

And $210 (if thats with tax) is about what you'd pay online also so don't sweat it.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 1, 2007

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
How well does Underarmor and other stuff like that work at keeping you cool in the summer? I just got that partially perforated MotoGP Corkscrew jacket, and while I know it'll work well up to about 85 degrees, when June and July hit (and I start doing track days!) I'm going to need a bit more help to keep from baking I think.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Portable591 posted:

Has anyone owned a pair of the Tourmaster Decker leather overpants? They are about $200 on New Enough, have CE-approved armor, are of full leather construction, and my current Alter Ego pants have become pretty useless because one of the side zippers failed for the second time.

After reading some after-crash reports of the Alter Ego pants, I'm itching to start moving to leather gear too. But I need the convenience of overpants since I wear them to work all the time. They look better than any other pair of leather overpants available, thanks to the CE armor, too.

A guy I ride with that Tourmaster leather overpants (not sure about the exact kind) and he likes them a lot.

Also, you mind posting the Alter Ego crash reports you read? I've got those too, and though I bought leather pants for trackdays, I was still planning on using the Alter Egos for riding to school. Interested to see what made you want to upgrade.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

*Way too much gear*

Whats up buying too much drat gear buddy. I did the math today, and I've spent more money on gear than I did on my bike. A substantial amount more.

I've found textile doesn't fit nearly as tightly as leather. I've only had one of each so far, but the leather coat just feels a lot better on me.

Also, drat you for getting a grey/black Corkscrew jacket. :argh:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

HClChicken posted:

I'm looking to get a better fitting leather suit, I like the corkscrew (motogp) http://newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/moto_gp/corkscrew_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html one on newenough. How is it's quality?

I still need some pants, and I already have a textile jacket for warm, firstgear, kilimanjaro, I just need a full riding suit.

What would you recommend for a smaller person for pants, I'd like them to match the blue jacket.

I got this jacket and its great. Good quality (especially for the cost) any fits great. One problem is I can't find MotoGP pants anywhere in my size which means I'm going to have to get a zipper changed out to get stuff that connects. Might want to check that first before you buy stuff.

rope kid posted:

Fun fact that I just learned: Triumph brand pants and jackets all come with upper and lower halves of zippers. Why does this matter? Because you can take off the other piece and have it sewn into gear to make it match. :)

So far all the gear I've bought has come like this.

Though I just realized its all been Joe Rocket/MotoGP stuff so who knows.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Do all you guys who bought the Phoenix Jacket feel its an solid piece of protective gear? My girlfriend bought me some Joe Rocket mesh jacket for my birthday last month and I've been holding on to it to use this summer. I finally pulled the thing out today and I really don't feel safe in it, even just riding at 30mph to class. Its too short and doesn't have tabs to attach it to jeans so it doesn't ride up in a crash, and just generally feels cheap.

I just want a jacket I can wear when its 110 degrees here and not worry about dying. :( I suppose I could just go tshirt and shorts like all the other riders on campus who've come out of the wood work now that its warm...

I've spent something greater than $2000 on gear so far (more than my freakin' bike!), and if theres one thing I've learned its just buy the expensive stuff the first time because the cheap stuff sucks and you just end up wasting money replacing it.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 11, 2007

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

timb posted:

Let me get this straight...

You don't feel safe in the Phoenix jacket, so you might forgo a jacket all together and just wear a T-Shirt? ...

At any rate, it feels pretty solid to me. Just remember that textiles are "one off" gear. If you slide once in them they will melt and thus need to be replaced.

My plan is to use the Phoenix jacket over a lightweight long sleeve cotton shirt. It gets really hot here during the summer, but I think that jacket should keep me reasonable cool and safe.

Misunderstood me, I don't have the Phoenix jacket, I've got another cheaper Joe Rocket mesh jacket (the Rio, I finally figured out what it was called) that I'd like to replace with something that feels better made. I was wondering if the Phoenix (or any other mesh jacket else) actually feels like a well made piece of protective gear, which you actually kind of answered for me so thank you. :) And yeah, I was being sarcastic about going squid.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

orinth posted:

Alpinestars smx plus boots on closeout for $67.80 plus $9 shipping

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-5758/Alpinestars-Closeouts/S-MX-Plus-Boots.html

loving AWESOME DEAL

I would like to point out these guys have basically stolen $90 from me. Worst customer service I've ever experienced. Your post has reminded me to make my weekly phone call to yell at them to give me my money.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Mapless posted:

AGV tiTech Industriale.

I really like this idea, looks bad rear end and different and the background behind it coming to be is pretty awesome too.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

Summer '07 Riding Gear:

MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket
JR Blaster pants

Now I just need the black bike...

I've got the same jacket and pants. After my ~500 mile ride today I have to say, its a good combination. Just wondering, how'd you get the set to connect? My method involved my friend Jen, a sewing machine, and way too much thread.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Great deal on a Teknic coat over at newenough right now:
http://newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/teknic/chicane_perforated_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html
Can actually find pants that attach to this thing too as opposed to that MotoGP Corkscrew jacket I bought a few months ago. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :colbert:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Jazzzzz posted:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=86-5212

That didn't exactly take much :effort:

Yeah I called them. In fact I called every website that has them listed as available on the internet. They don't actually have them and MotoGP has ceased to make products so they never will have them, just no one ever bothered to update their databases.

Edit: Looking closer they do actually gave some of the bigger sizes, I'm unfortunately a petite size 30 though, which doesn't exist anywhere.

emil_muzz posted:

Jesus. I never caught that. I've always just seen "stitch". I'll attempt to reprogram my brain.

If it helps I didn't notice it until just now either.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 12, 2007

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Mapless posted:

You know that MotoGP and Berik are one and the same, right?

Well... I should have complained about this before I bought those Joe Rocket Blaster pants and kelvar thread.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Mapless posted:

What exactly are you wanting?

:confused: I was simply responding to you responding to me? I suppose I want a new 600rr, but thats probably not what you meant?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

Uhm, just have the given zipper attachment that comes with whatever pants you buy sown into the jacket. I've been meaning to do that myself actually.

Yeah, I did that already, I even asked you how you were planning on connecting your set earlier in this thread. Just would have preferred to not spend the $20 on kevlar thread. :)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thoughts on 'Draggin' Jeans' (https://www.dragginjeans.com), apart from the fact the name is frickin retarded?

I'm really looking for a pair of riding pants that satisfy the following two requirements (if this product actually exists)

1) moderately cool or at least with venting
2) doesn't look like I just got done sledding

These look interesting http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=DLINERS I'd be interested to see how they actually perform and would be nice to wear whatever pants I want. Though $150 is a bit much.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

redscare posted:

Any opinions on these pants?

http://www.newenough.com/protective..._overpants.html

I have them, my opinion is they are badly made. I had one of the plastic clips break after something like two months. Also, the whole 8 inch zipper thing just doesn't seem like it would help much in an accident. They do work ok as overpants though I guess.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

No help on the draggin jeans bit, i wouldn't trust them in an accident. I would however, trust a set of textile overpants with hard armor in the knees. Which is exactly what i'd recommend to you. Just about anything that's got CE approved knee armor will give enough protection in terms of the quality of the fabric/kevlar areas.

I think a lot of us are looking for something to wear around town and not have to carry when we get to our destination. When I ride to class I have to carry my gear around campus for 4 hours (leave helmet and gloves locked to bike) and so I wear jeans. Carrying my pants around also is just not feasible, people already get annoyed at me enough as it is for taking up an extra seat with my jacket. Having something more protective than jeans that are still comfortable to wear all day is the goal, one textile overpants don't meet. I don't think anyone asking about kevlar jeans is planning on riding at 80mph in them and expecting protection at the level of full gear, just an improved amount of abrasion protection at 30-40 mph around town.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I had the same problem...Then i realized that the kevlar jeans i had were cut funny and looked funny and felt funny when i was walking around campus. Couple that with the "pouch" on the knees for the hard armor and they just weren't very comfortable off the bike. I haven't used draggin jeans, and they may be cut better, but if i were to do it all over again, I'd just pick up some offroad knee braces and wear those under my pants, considering when i went down at 35 that was the only thing that took significant damage.

Furthermore, unless you like wearing the same pants every day, you're going to need a couple pairs to wear them regularly. That adds up to the point where i just figured i'd take my chances with my jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, and if i got some rash on my knees, oh well. In retrospect, i should have picked up some knee guards and just worn them under my jeans, and i'll probably pick up a set for riding from here on out as soon as i have some free cash.

I've just decided I write code for a living so I don't need my legs. I really should get some knee guards for riding to class I guess considering how screwed up my knees already are from skating as a kid.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 14, 2007

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Juneau posted:

Hey I got a message from the seller saying it was ok to send it back for a refund :awesome: I wonder if she will try to resell it...

Put a sticker hidden on the inside that says "Hey, I bought this helmet and it was beat to poo poo by USPS, if you are reading this return it!"

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

iroc_dis posted:

On the grand scale of things, this is how I imagine the comparison goes:
Alpinestars Supertech - Sidi Vertigo Corsa
SMX Plus - regular Vertigo - Oxtar TCS Evo RX
SMX-R - B-2

I'm sortof leaning towards the Oxtar TCS Evo RX replica, problem is that no where on loving earth apparently carries the drat thing so there isn't any "trying it on"

I've got the Oxtar TCS Evo RX and I think they are pretty keen. Are the most expensive piece of gear I own (I wanted sparking toe sliders, so sue me). They are pretty great boots, real comfortable on the bike and not too bad walking either. I do think they run a little big though, mine are slightly bigger than I'd like, I just make up for it with thick socks.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Anyone know if its possible to stretch leather a bit? I've got a pair of gloves that I got from a friend that are just slightly too small in the fingers, was wondering if there was any way to make them slightly bigger?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

MotoMind posted:

:words:

This was a lot of really good info, thanks a bunch. Just one question though, what exactly is an "abrasion cycle on pavement"?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I wear a 2 piece setup for daily driving, but for track use, when you're looking at potentially 100+ get off speed, i wouldn't really trust any zipper to hold together.

Also, for those of you who are smaller this is an insane deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Sp...5950161&sr=1-56

Wow, I'm almost tempted to buy that just in case it fits me. My 2 piece jacket is a size small and I've got some room in that still. It fits me according to the chest and waist size, but the approx weight/height is ~5'8" and 125 lbs and I'm 5'10" 145...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

bung posted:

Looks like the JR suit is already sold out.

Yeah, one of them is hopefully mine. =D Only problem is I'm probably going to sell my bike next week to pay off my last student loan. I'll wear it riding around on my girlfriend's scooter.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

PlasticSun posted:

Keep in mind that belt loop fasteners are not likely to keep the jacket joined to the jeans in an accident. The belt loops themselves will pull off pretty easily under crash forces.

This is definitely true. I ripped the belt loop off my textile jacket bending over to pull my boots on. :(

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
http://www.webbikeworld.com/ is pretty good for helmets. They got a whole heck of a lot of reviews up there, and if the one you are looking at isn't there there will probably be something similar. They've got some other gear also, but its rather sparse sometimes.

Other than that page I've really been at a loss for a good consolidated website for motorcycle gear and would be interested in knowing what other people have found also.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Thought i'd pop in here and offer you guys my last set of leathers. The for sale section doesn't seem to get much use. Joe rocket speedmaster suit, in good shape with the exception of very minor scuffs on the left arm from a 5-10mph lowside. Besides that it's a little worn from about 30k miles worth of use, but in great shape otherwise. Perforated across the entire front.

200$ + shipping, it's a size 44.

Don't have any pictures of the suit on it's own, but here's me at the track in it. Doesn't have sliders on it at the moment but i could probably dig up a pair that's still got something left on them if you really want them :)

Edit: Or gently caress, you could just look at my avy, i suppose. :hurr:

If its not sold yet, how big are you? I'm 5'10" 145lbs and might be interested if you think it would fit.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

Is there anything wrong with getting a jacket for a bike you don't own? I've never ridden, but I really like the looks of this Triumph jacket.

I've been considering getting a cheap bike to learn this summer. Would I look strange wearing it on a Suzuki?

You are asking a fashion question more than a safety gear question. Depending on what the back looks like it will probably be more or less strange. If its just a plain back it probably won't be that noticeable, if it has a big ol' Triumph on the back you might wanna hold off.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
If it makes you happy I say go for it, though at some point someone will probably ask about it. Just say you want a Triumph soon but bought an intelligent starter bike and I doubt anyone will give you crap.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Its offically spring time so I here by dub this the power ranger suit show off thread. :colbert:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ChiliMac posted:

Nice shoes, but I've never heard of Bohz helmets :o:

Edit: interesting array of bargain [good] equipment with a pricey(ish) helmet. Oddly enough I've spent about a 8/1 ratio on my other gear/helmet.

My friend works at Cyclegear, I got the helmet for like 30% off. :q: My boots were actually my most expensive piece of gear I think.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

William Shatner is an amazing person and I'm glad he doesn't wear riding gear.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

pik_d posted:

How important is it for me to get boots or protective pants? I was talking to someone who's got a bike and he near about freaked out trying to beat it into my head that I need to get boots that go above the ankle.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236225

Bike falls, its most likely going to fall on your legs and feet.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 17, 2008

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
My problem with those liners (and pants without a 360* zipper in general) is they completely negate the protection on your torso. In my fall at 25 mph I had a jacket on with those "attach to jeans straps" hooked to my jeans. Tore right through those, jacket rode up, and I got a nice amount of rash on my back. Jeans held up fine, so did the jacket, but I was still hurting for the next week because of the lack of attachment between the two. Just something to consider.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Bruinator posted:

The only thing I don't like about the NYC is that it doesn't have any way to connect to a pair of pants. Can anyone recommend a pair of pants (or preferrably overpants) with armor that ride far enough up the back to help avoid what pr0zac went through? I've been riding around in jeans and a pair of tennis shoes, and I feel like I need more protection.

Doesn't exist as far as I know. You either need to add a zipper in, or buy different gear if you want torso protection.

The first person to design a good set of gear that doesn't look stupid off the bike, folds up small enough to carry around, or some how can be locked to the bike, all while still providing quality protection will be a very very rich person. Really your choice is look funny / carry gear around when you aren't riding, or risk ending up like me or crabrock. Everyone trying to find "protective jeans" is missing that fact. Motorcycle level protection + jeans doesn't exist for a multitude of reasons.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 28, 2008

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
An Aerostich is pretty close to ideal and the kind of thing more people in here should be looking for (though I too would argue about its foldupabilityness considering how terribly my textile gear folds), but really my point was that everyone looking at those kevlar jeans is just fooling themselves if they think they are going to provide any real worthwhile protection over regular jeans.

Gear is part of motorcycling, embrace it. I went grocery shopping in the power ranger suit this weekend. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Kevlar jeans aren't as bad as normal jeans, which essentially disappear on contact with the ground. If a rider won't wear real gear, then the reinforced jeans will be better than normal jeans. But I agree, it is a much better solution to buy real gear, which will save you pain and suffering.

I'm still of the opinion that any gear is better than no gear, and will always encourage people to wear any gear at all. I don't think the field armor boots are particularly effective, but if someone will wear them over normal sneakers or whatever, and it saves them some injury, it's all worthwhile in my book. I had to learn the hard way, but maybe other people can pick it up without having to suffer quite as much as I did.

When I fell at 25 mph my regular Levis held up fine, heck I still wear that pair today. The problem was the lack of solid connection between the jeans and my jacket (the "connectors" ripped apart instantly) letting my jacket ride up leaving me sliding down the road on my exposed side and back. Assuming someone going faster wearing "Draggin' Jeans", when the denim sections of those jeans rip apart whats going to happen to the kevlar? Its going to ride up just like my jacket leaving the person sliding on skin.

I agree any gear is better than none, I just think calling stuff like that gear is misleading and gives a false sense of security. If people are going to ride around in jeans, they should recognize they are riding around in jeans, without the idea that the particular pair they are wearing is going to provide anything beyond negligible protection. At least pickup those full kevlar leggings if you want something discrete.