Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

I'm also a happy owner of a two-piece Joe Rocket leather suit. They make great-value suits and I'm quite confident mine will protect me well if I need it to. Their textiles are generally a little more iffy in my experience, but I haven't bought one in the last few years, so they may be up to snuff now - I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Mixed reviews around the web... I'm more concerned with the back protection it offers over a standard back plate that goes in the jacket.

The back protector part looks okay, and I like the vest idea as it's less likely to move around in the event of an accident. However, it seems like they should have put more thought into protecting the collarbone than it looks like they did, as that's a very common injury in motorcycle accidents. I'd say it's probably better than a standalone back protector, but not as good as some alternative vests out there. I think Dainese might offer a better one, for example, but you'll pay a lot for it.

As for the mesh gear, keep in mind "the best gear is the gear you'll use." It's not as good as leather or, probably, normal textile stuff, but you're far more likely to wear it. When it's 100 degrees outside and you tell yourself you're only riding a few blocks, you'll probably wear the mesh if you have it. If leather's all you had you might decide to play squid, go without gear, and live to regret it.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Nate Falls posted:

And it's DOT/Snell-approved, so as far as crash tests are concerned there's no difference in how well it protects.

No difference compared to what? The DOT and Snell certifications are quite easy for helmets to meet. Beyond that, there are wide varieties of quality and levels of protection. There are beanie-type helmets that meet DOT/Snell certification and I wouldn't trust my head in one of those for anything.

Also, make sure it's approved for on-road use and not just off-road. I imagine you're probably okay, but it's possible that they have more lax standards for off-road helmets since they usually impact softer stuff than on-road helmets do.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Coredump posted:

Are you sure? DOT maybe, but Snell?

Yeah, I guess you're right. But the guy says he bought it for $20 - there's no way in hell a $20 helmet is getting Snell certification.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

gotly posted:

Edit 2: No, I take it back. This is perfect. Good armor, "perfect for hot weather", and it even is in the color scheme I want! Too bad they don't have it in medium!

That's not leather. I have one of the earlier versions of that jacket, though, and it works well in hot weather.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

with my helmet (full face) tucked under my arm. I feel like I'm finally part of the club :3:

All the cool kids carry their helmet by the chin bar.

Nerd!

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

rope kid posted:

I learned to carry my helmet under my arm from carrying fencing masks. :shobon:

In all seriousness, a fencing mask is a lot lighter and more durable than a motorcycle helmet. You're more likely to drop it that way, which might not be a good thing.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

TheTrend posted:

Oh thanks Mom.

WTH, it's his helmet. He can carry it how he wants to, but if he drops it on a curb somewhere and comes in here crying about it, I ain't gonna cry with him.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

rope kid posted:

It just sounds like a baseless statement. The difference in weight between the two is negligible and I can't see where you got the idea that you're more likely to drop a mask or helmet by carrying it under the arm (assuming you're still gripping the opening of the mask).

How do you propose carrying it under your arm and still gripping the chinbar?

I've been riding for eleven years and I can say from experience that you are more likely to drop a helmet carried under your arm than by the chinbar. Take that for whatever you deem it to be worth, and move on.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, Sidi might work for you if you have a relatively narrow foot too. The pairs I've had both seem like they would accomodate a fairly thick calf.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

OniPanda posted:

So what suggestions do y'all have for stuff that will look good on a cruiser and be comfortable? Also I was gonna get a half helmet because I was worried about a full helmet making me uncomfortable or freak out, but thanks to this thread i think I'll take a harder look at full helmets.

As was said, look at the mesh stuff. If you get silver/gray or black you'll look fine on a cruiser. I like my First Gear jacket, but there are lots of brands that make them now.

As for the helmet, perhaps look into the flip-up full-face helmets like the ones HJC makes. The chinbar and visor on these flip up - you could raise it occasionally if you feel you're getting claustrophobic (though I don't think you will). I doubt they're made to crash in with the chinbar up, but it's far better than nothing. Roof sells a helmet (you maybe have to order it from Europe) which is actually designed to allow for the chinbar to be up in a crash. That helmet design is a bit funky, though, so it might not fit your appearance needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Getting shredded aside, I'd rather have my armor shatter than have the pictured gloves cause my knuckles to shatter.

Yeah, that site just seems like it's trying to justify its own, fairly simple gloves. When wondering if a product is safe or not, ask yourself: is this somethiing that's likely to be used in MotoGP/SBK/etc.? If it is, there's a pretty strong indicator that it's a good idea. They don't take safety lightly in that arena.