Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

It seems I bought my first bike at the start of a heatwave, and now I’m regretting buying an Arai Axcess3 over their Tour x4 , And buying an unvented canvas jacket over a mesh jacket.

Is there anything I can do to stop sweat dripping down my face, and soaking my t-shirt that isn’t a new mesh jacket 3 weeks after buying my first jacket?

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Buy a mesh jacket.

Pretty much what happened.

About 20 minutes after posting I got a discount voucher from buying all my other gear, bringing the price of an alpine stars mesh jacket to £70.

The shop had had a run on their mesh stock, and the jacket was the last one of any brand that fit. But it fits well and is comfortable. So win win.

Didn’t get a beavis conversion kit. But I might make it my avatar instead.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Which A* jacket? I just bought one of their mesh jackets too, like it a lot, very breathable and much cooler than my pure textile jacket, wish I wouldn't have gotten black though. :downs:

The Luc.

God, what a lovely name.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Alternately, any recommendations for a ventilated glove with a wrist cinch, kangaroo leather palm (or otherwise thin/provides good control feel), and preferably something touchscreen compatible with a gauntlet that will fit under the sleeves of my jacket?
I have a pair of Knox Orsa 3. They’re everything mentioned minus touchscreen compatibility.

I’ve yet to find a U.K. source of anyglove to make them touchscreen friendly, but they roll the fingertips over the end so there’s no seam on your fingers where you’d press the screen.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Lynza posted:

I recently ordered some stuff from a company called AnyGlove. It's basically goo you spread onto your glove fingertips to make them work with a touchscreen. It works pretty well. I put some on my Handroids and it functions as expected. You might be able to do something like that if you can find a glove you like but is missing the touchscreen-ability.

Anyglove are still going?! There’s no updates to their website or social media since 2014. Felt it was a bit of a red flag.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has anyone had any luck using the newish truly wireless Bluetooth earphones as under helmet com units?

I have a sena, but honestly starting to think it’s garbage... “hey Siri” only works indoors, none of the voice commands on the headset itself work reliably, the volume is all over the place, it sticks out like a mofo, and Bluetooth communication range isn’t even line of sight.

I was wondering that maybe there’s a chance there’s a small, helmet friendly, in ear thing that ideally supports more than one Bluetooth connection at a time.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Crayvex posted:

I have none of those issues with my Sena SMH10. I use Siri all the time at normal speeds. Which unit do you have?

30K.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

builds character posted:

Are you sure your boom mic is pointed the right way? It’s directional front and back.

I have the stick-on mic. I can say “hello senna” and she’ll answer fine but will struggle to comprehend any commands other than “cancel”. “Hey Siri” just doesn’t work unless I’m inside.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Any beardy-men wear a snood/balaclava in the winter months that they can recommend?

I’ve got a Knox cold killer, and it really does keep the wind, wet and the cold out. But gently caress me it doesn’t half irritate my face. Im usually scrambling to get my helmet off at the end of a ride so I can take it off ASAP.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Are there any suggestions for winter gloves that aren’t really thick?

I bought some Racer Carbon winter gloves, and while they’re mostly comfortable they severely restrict my thumb, and when I grip the handlebars my fingertips feel like they slip down the inside of the glove.

I’ve been surviving so far with my Knox Orsa 3 gloves and heated grips but they’re not waterproof, and I am really starting to feel the cold in the tips.

I’m guessing I can probably get by with some medium weight gloves, and maybe a thin liner. but finding them is a challenge. My local moto shops selection is a bit spartan, and photos online have no reference for bulk.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Keket posted:

Is there a j&s accessories near you? I know you're in London somewhere and they have a few stores around there.

Yeah, the St Albans one is about a half an hour ride away, been meaning to get up there to get some waterproof, warm, pants.

Just need to find some time to do it... might take a me day off work next week

[edit] managed to get to J&S and found some cheap gloves that fit, ish. Not sure they’d survive a crash, but they’ll maybe keep me dry.

Starting to think I have long palms or something, pretty much every glove either restricted my thumb movement, or had a load of extra space around the fingertips.

That said, I couldn’t try too many pairs on, pretty much everything nice was in sizes L upwards only. Deffo won’t be going back in a hurry.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 27, 2018

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Don’t buy the Knox Orsa’s.

They were my first glove. I started riding at the end of summer, and as the weather got worse my need for warmer gloves got greater.

I could not find waterproof or winter gloves that I found as comfortable as the Orsas. I must have tried on 100 pairs, bought two, and still nothing.

They were comfortable and ‘worn in’ from the shop, the scaphoid protection in my mind is a must (broken hands means no work, no work means no money), the rolled tip construction is how a glove should be made, and the boa fastener is quick and easy to use and doesn’t get stuck to your helmet lining.

In the end I just rode through winter with cold hands.

So, don’t buy the Orsas. You won’t find anything like them.

Skreemer posted:

Icon releases the "Synthwave" 80's/90's retro helmet:

http://www.rideicon.com/gear/helmets/airflite/synthwave/purple
must buy.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 22, 2019

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Who makes waterproof gloves that aren’t insulated?

It’s rainy season (it’s England, it’s always rainy season), but given I managed winter in just my Knox Orsas, I really don’t think insulation is needed.

I’d love to buy another Knox product, but they only seem to make bulky waterproof gloves. You’d have thought they’d have something waterproof for spring given they’re stuck on this grim island too.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

My Merlin Drax have failed in 3 places in less than a year (6 if you count the multitudes of replacement laces) and Merlin have decided I’ve abused them.

So I bought a pair of Sidi Adventure 2’s, they’re pretty great. Feels like I could crash at Mach2, and my feet be fine. Which is what I was looking for after nearly rolling an ankle stopping next to a pothole. They’re also comfortable in every metric except that they are really narrow in the toes.

So I’m looking for something similar with the same sort of protection, just roomier in the toe box.

TCX drifter is on the top of the list. But I don’t know how wide they make their toe boxes.
Anything else that I should look at?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What tools do people use to plan routes and navigate them?

I have a Garmin Zumo that’s good for navigation, but I struggle to plan routes with it. It’s a long and tedious process of using google street view, ‘Best Biking Roads’ app to find good waypoints and then enter them by address, else you get routed down motorways or single track dirt roads.

Google maps on a phone is good enough for short journeys, but doesn’t support waypoints. You can set up a multi destination trip, but navigation stops at each destination until you hit continue. Plus the navigation is hit and miss as to how accurate/clear/timely it is.

I tried the garmin app, but don’t have full time access to a windows machine to do it, and couldn’t really make head or tails of using it.

Theres ‘inRoute’ on iOS/iPad that supports waypoint navigation, but is £15 for 25 waypoints, or £30/yr for more, which is a bit rich.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

So it turns out that ignoring all its other faults (ventilation, warmth, breatheability or lack of) , my Brody jacket from Bering is neither waterproof or all that abrasion resistant. With winter on its way I’m looking at replacing it.

But I’m not sure what sort of jacket to replace it with. Currently the bulk of my riding is my commute to work ~1hr each way and I just wear my Kevlar jeans and moto boots around the office. But I’ve been lucky and not had a client with a dress code. Then maybe a few hundred miles a month of leisure riding.

I think my options are:
- a 1pc commuter suit like the Klim Hardanger. - Pricey, but would keep me dry and I could wear a suit underneath if needed. Not sure I’d want to wear it on leisure rides, it’s a bit daddish. Also makes my riding jeans a bit obsolete with no jacket.
- waterproof jacket - keeps the top half dry, and I can wear the waterproof over trousers I already have for the bottom.
- any other jacket + waterproof overalls

The weathers getting wetter, and temperatures are getting colder. So I need to get something soon, But I’m honestly not sure what to buy. On one hand I like the idea of stepping out of a 1pc and already being in a suit for the office (not that one is currently needed). But on the other, I like the idea of having half the outfit needed next year for a track day or two.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Klim stuff is good, but I think Aerostich has the commuter onesie more or less nailed down. They offer much more flexible sizing than Klim for a comprable price.

I use an r3 for commuting and its the bees’ knees. I wear office clothes underneath and change into normal shoes. Keeps me warm and dry in Seattle weather.

Included are two secret powers: turns any bike into a dad bike and makes cops ignore you.

They can be found used on CL and advrider.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen aerostich anywhere in the UK.

I can get the Rukka Saana for £999, but it’s not at all vented.
Or the Klim Hardanger for £1300.

I’m wavering towards a 1pc. Feels like they’d cover more bases, and if my next job needs a suit, I’d probably buy one in 6mo anyway.

Really hesitant to spend any money at all to be honest, I have a poo poo track record of buying the wrong thing and either suffering through. Not to mention, I need new boots and some waterproof gloves. 💸

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Go to a shop and try them out.

Yeah. Got a fuckload of poo poo sent to a local shop to try on. Just waiting on delivery.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Went to the bike gear shop today, tried on a load of poo poo.

Decided to get the Hardanger. Had a bit of an issue at the shop with the legs binding, but I was wearing heavy Kevlar jeans underneath. Going to wait for it to get delivered to home and then try it with regular trousers.

The Rev’It Trench was nice, if the legs on the Hardanger don’t work out, I might get that.

Also bought some A* gloves and TCX Drifters. Which didn’t fit last time I tried them on, but did this time ???

Gonna be a wet winter, and I’m determined to stay bone dry.

[Edit] Do any glasses wearers have any tips for fogging in wet and cold environments? I’ve tried Respro Foggy, worked when it was cold, not cold and wet.
So far the only thing that’s worked is a Shoei Ex Zero that gives a constant stream of fresh air right into the eyes, But it’s kinda cold and wet.
Considering getting some sports glasses that form a cup around the eye socket, but not sure how effective they’d be.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 8, 2019

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Maybe the sale of my 125 can pay for pew pew eye surgery.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I've had my Klim Hardanger for a month or so now, and haven't really been victim to heavy rain until today. I like it, I don't love it, but I like it.

Pros:

- Can get in/out of it in under 2 minutes without taking my boots off.
- It's dry. Which doesn't sound amazing, but my last jacket could not handle rain.
- It'll comfortably take a fair amount of layering underneath. (thick fleece jumper, t-shirt, thermals)
- Vented. It's got something like 14 vents. Accidentally opened one thinking it was a pocket and was wondering why I felt a bit chilly. I imagine at the peak of summer it'll be quite breezy.

Cons:

- Kinda bad for range of motion off-bike. I can't quite touch the back of the collar in it (with layering) and crouching down to wrap a chain around my rear tyre gets things a bit tight in places. Yet to try putting on a backpack with it.
- So many fuckin' zips.
- The regular-medium fits me pretty well when standing (5'10", 32" inseam, 30-32" waist, skinny), There's plenty of 'extra leg' when standing, but when sitting on the bike the cuff of the pants rides up to nearly the top of my short boots. An extra inch of inseam would probably be ideal, 3 extra inches on the tall would too much. (31" inseam? wth klim. who sells 31" inseam anything?)
- The snap-flap at the bottom of the leg does not feel like it's been thought through at all. It's on the inseam, at the bottom of the leg, and is square. It gets caught in the lean-indicators on the footpegs far too easily.
- My office is uninsulated and loving freezing at the moment, I really miss having thick jeans with a fluffy kevlar lining to keep me warm.

Would I buy another? Probably. Something to keep me dry in winter, and safe while wearing a suit to the office was the aim, and this'll do the job no problem.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’m an apartment dweller, I have very limited space to store stuff, especially stuff that doesn’t fold flat (stuff that folds into a bundle like a tent is even better)

Buuuuut, I need to take my rear wheel off to put in a ‘scraper’ plate carrier. So I need a stand of some sort.

What are my options? I’ve seen paddock stands that appear to come apart and fold flat ish.

The ABBA superbike stand looks pretty flat, but one arm is welded together at a right angle (if both arms came off fully, this’d be ideal)

Is there some super product I’ve missed?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Take your bike to a mate's place who has a garage and a paddock stand?
First thought: “friends, with garages? What?”
But then I realised I have a cousin with a garage not far away. Will probably do this.

CheddarGoblin posted:

I have one of these and it does indeed come completely apart and lay flat.
Unless my consumerism gets the better of me, then I’ll buy something like this.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

MetaJew posted:

And now my leathers don't smell like horrid BO.

Ozone is magic.

I wish I had known this 24 months ago. I have a nappy bin that somehow smells like nothing that has gone in it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

You joke but I guarantee I could make a hilarious profit if I ever got a hold of one.

How much would you need to get one for to be decently profitable?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Does anybody know if there’s a lock (even if it’s a pushbike lock) that has an alarm that sends SMS over a cell network?

It doesn’t even need to be overly robust as it’d just be keeping the cover locked to the wheels, with the actual security being done by needy chains.

Someone pissed on my bike the other day, and now I want to confront the fucker who keeps loving with it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

builds character posted:

I think the spot trace is what you’re looking for?

I’ve already got a similar system installed on the bike, it doesn’t trigger as it needs ~10m of movement.

The bike doesn’t move, it just gets hosed with nightly. There’s two alarmed padlocks on it, but it’s in a parking garage and I can’t hear them from my flat.

If the padlock alarms also sent a SMS to alert me, that would be ideal. I could be down there before pissy-mc-fuckhead has had time to open his fly.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Yerok posted:

What are people's favorite springtime gloves? I have bad circulation and my hands get cold easy.

I did an entire year in London with my Knox Orsa gloves and heated grips.

They’re great gloves, but the heated grips really takes the edge off.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I really like my Knox Orsa 3 gloves with the fabric top.

Some plastic nubbins on the wrist are starting to peel a little, but they did do an entire year rain or shine of daily commuting.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I currently have it just taking room up on my bookshelf, but I have a baby on the way and baby poo poo is rapidly taking up all my space so I'm getting rid of as much as I can and making sure everything has a proper place to go (and this house annoyingly has tiny closets). Floor is no good because I have a pit bull and a great dane, and they will absolutely scratch the visor if they're playing. And as I said, plenty of room in the garage but also plenty of black widows.
I have an IKEA GRUNTAL wall shelf above my front door / coat hangers.

It’s not a solid shelf so it gets ventilation into the helmets, which is good in summer.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has anybody got experience with both Forma and Alpinestars boots?

I bought some Forma Terra Evo boots based on the recommendation Forma makes boots with wider toe boxes. But they’re still a bit tight around my toes (especially with my thicker socks on)

The other raved nearly-Mx boot is the Toucan which seems to no longer be sold in the UK, but I have found a German site that sells them.

Am I going to be wasting my time with the Toucans? I’ve already tried the Sidi Adv and they were wayyy too tight around my little piggies.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Is there such a thing as a kevlar/textile armoured coverall? Not like a race suit or an adventure survival drysuit or anything, just like overalls to throw on over street clothes that have abrasion resistance and elbow/knee/hip/shoulder armour?

The Klim Hardanger is a textile (codura) 1pc riding suit made to be worn standalone. Armoured, abrasion resistant, goretex.

Goes over street clothes well, and has a load of vents for cooling.

I have one, it’s good, but not perfect. I wore it through our last winter over a mountain of thermals and fleece.

Kept me mostly dry, but I think there’s a leak issue at the crotch. Something to confirm this winter and get it replaced.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The Sena mesh stuff is great.

My 30K to a friends Sena BT helmet using “intercom mode” would predictively cut out if you were going to go out of LoS. It was useless.

30K to cheapo unit, if you got it to pair, would disconnect if you sneeze. But getting it to pair is the trick.

30K to 30K over mesh just seems to work. Flip up the antenna, push the button roughly at the same time and you’re talking. Hills, trees, and moderate distance don’t seem to faze it.

But, totally useless if nobody you ride with has a Mesh unit.

The multi-device pairing (eg phone, GPS and intercom) on the 30K is good too but other models might have that.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

GriszledMelkaba posted:

and the next generation will have some other poo poo that has no compatibility with mesh for $690. gently caress sena

Sena pushed out a firmware update for their 30K units to make them compatible with their 50 series units new mesh protocol.

Seems to me that they’re trying to not be dicks about it.

Supradog posted:

Have you had any issues with how fast it starts to transmit? When me and my brother got it in mesh mode we got issues with the first word not getting transmitted some times.
Also when just having connected and not started riding we've had instances where it does not pick up whole sentences. After we start riding it picks up talk better. and I don't think we talk that much louder when riding.

Not that I recall. The only issue I’ve really had is it seems to “unmesh” after long periods of not talking (e.g lunch stop) and you need to press the mesh button again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Good post.

A bit preachy about the retro helmets. But eh.

Also, ECE 22.06 is coming onto shelves now, might be worth a mention?

I’ve not found a single shred of evidence that helmet manufacturers actually provide safety tests for used helmets.

There’s: https://motorbikewriter.com/helmet-safety-scanner-funding-halfway/

But nothing that suggests the manufacturers actually do it. Can anybody back this up? Feels like a biker myth.