Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Bob Morales posted:

Lets talk dirt gear for a second

I just got my first dirt bike from another goon. Hell it's still in his carhole until I go riding with him somewhere. I rode it for about 3 minutes in a cornfield, it was pretty fun.

What should I get? Helmet? Chest protector? Gloves? What else?

It's a YZ125, 99 or so? I'm not sure.

What I wear:
Answer MX pants of some nature, got em on sale for 50 bucks or so. Have big, ugly patches of tough rubber like material on the knees and thighs. Hip pads and ballistic nylon panels in ares that need to flex.

Basic MX jersey, breathes well and seems to be made well enough to withstand a few trips to the ground.

Thor Quadrant boots. I would not recommend these, as they have NO feeling and modulating the rear brake is...well....impossible. For 120-ish dollars they do the job tho. Spend some decent money on an articulating ankle joint.

Thor gloves, rubber bits here and there and a nice leather palm and fingertips. Tough and you retain a decent amount of feel with them.

KBC Acid MotoX helmet. Spend some dough here, go light and REMOVABLE liner. Mine is light, but I can't remove the liner and it smells like hell in there. Like knock a vulture off the poo poo wagon kinda stink.

I also picked up some compression undershorts. Keeps things in place and chafing to a minimum. Monkey-butt on a MX bike can be brutal, and toss in pinched/gouged/bounced balls and you are in for a miserable ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot
Terminus Est-

I have a TZR as well. See the little doo-dad near the left ear? The bit used to help pop the visor up? Mine broke off a few weeks back, totally my fault too. I had installed the visor not-quite-so-well and the added stress broke the thing off. I love my TZR, fits great and it feels well made. Only complaint I can muster is it fogs easily, or at least it does for me.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Terminus Est posted:

What's up fellow slack-jawed mouth breather. I blame my adenoids, not my breeding. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/store/index.php?cPath=36_34_102

Danke.

I'm actually fine without it, the little nubbin of plastic on the left side of the visor is plenty for me. But i did bookmark that page for other bobbles I might someday want. The breath guard and chin curtain are looking mighty nice right now.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Road_Warrior posted:

Apart from the armour plating in the left knee being a little out of place (it digs into my knee somewhere and is annoying) they're great. Its wierd, but I feel a lot more confident giving it some berries on the street with decent leathers on.

Oh yeah, having GOOD leathers on makes me feel much more confident. I swapped out sprockets/chain yesterday and went for a shakedown run wearing cotton pants and a t-shirt and kept looking behind me for cops. I felt so outta sorts that I felt I was doing something ILLEGAL by not wearing my gear. I only went 2-3 miles but the whole time I was nervous.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

pr0zac posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a backpack to wear while riding? I'm currently using my 10 year old Jansport and its really probably getting to be time to upgrade. Top of my list right now are:
http://www.motostrano.com/ognodrba.html
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Kriega-R35-p-16183.html
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Kriega-R25-p-16182.html

I use a a Arc'teryx Bora 40 (similar to this http://www.backcountry.com/store/ARC0650/Arcteryx-Bora-50-Backpack-2440-2930cu-in.html). The main thing that makes is useable as a motorcycle bacpack is the adjustible sternum and waist straps. The trick is to load up the pack, then adjust the tension of the straps so the pack "latches" to your back but rides on your hips. I know that sounds odd, but when you hit that happy medium of load balance it makes sense. I've gone 5 hours at a time on a 600SS (gas-ups while sitting on bike) and not been crippled (I'm 35 y/o and my joints tend to get cranky)

I would not limit my search to motorcycle oriented packs. Swing by an outfitter and try on some of the 1500-2000 cubic inch packs. Mine is 2000-2200 and I can stuff all my rain gear (goretex shells, waterproof gloves), laptop computer, change of clothes, and a pair of hiking boots easily. I've ridden through some amazing storms with this pack and not once has it leaked in any manner. The fabric might get waterlogged some, but the rubberized liner keeps the contents nice and dry.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot
French Canadian-

Hit Shoei's website and look for a chin skirt. It will reduce some of the turbulence under the helmet. Then go to Northern Tool's website and buy the box of 200 pairs of foam earplugs. Use them religiously. I won't go a trip longer than 5 minutes without ear plugs or noise cancelling earbuds. It's bad for your ears, the noise levels in even the best helmets is enough to damage hearing at 70+ mph.

It's also nice to be able to tap the side of your helmet and feign " I can't hear you" when someone annoying is speaking to you.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

French Canadian posted:

Also, I get a stupid annoying whistling on this thing. If I press down firmly on the faceshield it goes away, so I suspect the seal isn't so great. I'm using the lock mechanism, but not much luck from that. Can you get thicker rubber seals for the face shield? Or is there some other method for fixing this? In the reviews on the web (which I should have paid more attention to), people mention the whistling also, so I know it's not just my helmet.

Shoei has IMO probably the best visor system on the market. It's very adjustable and robust. The RF1000 is a great lid too. Shoei is spendy, and it's spendy because they don't often send out poorly crafted products.

Pop the visor off, and have a look at the side plates. You will see two round screws with a + in them, per side. These can be loosened with a coin (hey, design feature for roadside work!) or screwdriver. Loosen all four. Then replace the visor and put it down. Push the visor into the position you desire, and then lift the visor enough to tighten the lower screws(keeping the side plates as close to your desired position as possible). Pop visor off again and tighten the upper screws, or nudge the whole thing to where you want the sideplates. Make sure the visor isn't binding by opening and closing some.

A trick I use to make sure the gasket on the visor is sealing properly is wet the visor some, so where the gasket presses on the visor it goes darker and you can see the seal. It's really just common sense once you are familiar with the visor setup. An entire kit for both sideplates and the little "kicker" button is only 15-20 bucks too. Shoei might cost an arm and leg initially, but their parts are very reasonable. I picked up two visors (clear and mirror/smoke) and a chin skirt for 69 bucks. That was a local brick and mortar, and I tend to spend lots of money in there so I got a sweetheart of a deal, still it would have been less than one visor from Shark.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Nate Falls posted:

I was just wondering something: am I the only guy who prefers a motocross helmet in the summer?

I never see anyone else doing it, but in 6 years of riding, I haven't found a full-face street helmet capable of half the airflow as a dirt helmet plus goggles. There's just no comparison. And it's DOT/Snell-approved, so as far as crash tests are concerned there's no difference in how well it protects.

Granted, I wouldn't use it for 500-mile days on the freeway, but for commuting, especially through the city, it beats the poo poo out of my usual street helmets. Plus, they're cheap as hell if you wait for a sale. I got mine for $20 at the Long Beach bike show, and the goggles for another 15 or so.

I admit it would feel weird to wear it on my other, non-dualsport bike, but on a hot day here in LA, I'm pretty sure I'd wear it anyway.

I do this sometimes, but always have that worry in the back of my head a wasp/hornet/stinging insect is going to get stuffed in there at speed. I've had two or three bees go flying in there while MXing, and I do tend to freak out a bit(dump bike and act like loon). The airflow is way better, that's for sure.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Pimping Giraffe posted:

Recommendations would be well appreciated as I need to get on this gear purchasing kick asap because I will be going out of country for a short while and then leaving right away for the motorcycle trip. Thanks for any suggestions.

I rode this winter in the mountains of NC. The only heated bit I used was heated grips on the bike itself. For my chest I used a XCR Gore-Tex shell over my leathers and then a layer or two under that. Some windproof pants and floofy wool socks and I was fine. The coldest day I remember it was 3.2 degrees fahrenheit when I left my house and a balmy 5 degrees when I arrived at work. 25+ mile commute too. Once I had my heated grips I was comfy at 10 degrees for however long I needed to be on the bike. I ride a supersport too, so no big windshield to protect.

I guess I'm saying is if you can keep a base layer of warm air against your skin (GOOD windproof material) and keep the outer layer from moving much (flapping from wind) your core temps should be okay. I only had trouble with my hands and keeping dexterity at a reasonable level. Gore-Tex windstopper fleece is worth it's weight in gold BTW, incredibly versatile for bike applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

VERTiG0 posted:

Anybody have any thoughts about the HJC AC-12 carbon? My old KBC VR-1 has been dropped on the ground so many times that I no longer trust it. Plus, I'd like a helmet that's a lighter than usual.

Don't know if you are married to HJC or what, but you might want to look into a mid-line Shoei. The TZ-R model is light, simple and a great lid. Arai also makes decently light helmets. Bit pricey and low on "whiz-bang" but very very soild helmets.

For giggles, find a Scorpion EXO1000 to try on. Has pump up cheek pads, an intergrated sun visor and by all accounts a well made helmet. But HOLY poo poo is it heavy, I tried one on and liked the features, then decided to look down and it felt like a 40 pound weight on my head.