Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Has anyone tried out a Joe Rocket Supermoto jacket? I'm in dire need of a nice perforated leather jacket and it seems to offer what I need.

About chemicals and visors, I don't think it matters unless there is some anti-glare or anti-fog coating on them as glass cleaner will destroy those coatings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

echomadman posted:

http://www.caberg-helm.com/home.aspx?xL=e
Caberg are cheap helmets and they do a few models with built in sun visors. Mines a godsend on sunny days (obviously) and winter mornings and evenings when there's low sun right in your eyes.

I think I might have to pick one of these up. I'm digging that flip-down sun visor.

What sort of helmets do they fit like?

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Shoei TZ-R. Swank, very swank. This picture doesn't do it justice though, imagine a ripe orange or a shiny orange hard candy. The helmet is extremely comfortable and the absolute quietest helmet I've ever worn. The only flaw is that it doesn't have an anti-fog coating on the shield. I had to shelve my AGV, which I loved except for how mind-numbingly loud it is. Even with earplugs that I use at work, it still made my ears ring from the wind.

$289 from Dennis Kirk, ordered on a Friday evening and came the next Wednesday with free shipping.

It is actually this color;

:iia:

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

PlasticSun posted:

Shoei still has the best visors and mechanism that I've used though.

Word.

I find that it fits almost exactly like a Scorpion exo400, except a little tighter. I also found that the exo700 didn't fit me, so who knows. Its a good compromise between round and oblong. Just right for me.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Turtle Parlor posted:

Terminus Est-

I have a TZR as well. See the little doo-dad near the left ear? The bit used to help pop the visor up? Mine broke off a few weeks back, totally my fault too. I had installed the visor not-quite-so-well and the added stress broke the thing off. I love my TZR, fits great and it feels well made. Only complaint I can muster is it fogs easily, or at least it does for me.

What's up fellow slack-jawed mouth breather. I blame my adenoids, not my breeding. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/store/index.php?cPath=36_34_102

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Sir Tonk posted:

Where did you have problems? I just got a EXO-700 the other day and it fits fine other than a good amount of pressure on my cheek bones. NewEnough suggested I wear it for a few more days to see if they reshape. It fits fine otherwise, so I'm hoping it'll adapt to my enormous cheeks.

When I tried on the exo700 it just plain didn't fit. The shape of it felt like it was pinching my forehead. The exo400 on the other hand fit me perfectly. I just chalked it up to a mild differentiation between helmet shapes.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Problem solved. $289 of awesome.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/Helmets.aspx

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Mapless posted:

Somewhere between a 9.5-10.5 depending on who makes the shoe.
44 Euro works out to 10-10.5 US.

How much do you want boss?

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Mapless posted:

How does $60 shipped in CONUS sound?

Deal! Shoot me an e-mail to frumpydisco@gmail.com. We can work it out from there. Also, I live in South Carolina.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

ClockworkZero posted:

edit part le deux: Before I go getting all crazy with the mink oil, is there any reason not to use Kiwi brand mink oil? That's what I've got but I've read it contains silicone. It worked fine on my workboots, but should I get a "purer" mink oil for my jacket or is Kiwi fine?

I don't know about Kiwi brand stuff, but Red Wing brand mink oil worked perfect on my leather jacket. I didn't have any discoloration occur and the leather felt great afterwards. Just be sure to test it beforehand.

threadshit:
The production of micro-fiber is very nasty. The plant I work at used to make micro-fiber until the EPA banned the chemical used to un-sheath it. Polyester is already nasty enough without the added process needed to remove the protective polymer coating surrounding the micro-fiber filaments. Also, all that polyester blended into clothing is primarily composed of ethylene glycol. You're wearing anti-freeze! :aaaaa:

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Red Wing brand contains Lanolin and Silicone. You should be ace as far as the Kiwi goes.

Don't take my threadshit as ranting though; I own a micro-fiber couch and love-seat. It sure is a comfy fabric. Just really bad for my conscience and the environment, Southern China's environment! :downsrim:

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Spend a $150 bucks less on the helmet and use that extra scratch to buy some better gear for all of your squishy bits. Also, $300 for an icon jacket isn't worth it. There's tons of gear on closeout and on sale for far less than that. So that's $450 that you now have to buy a leather jacket, riding pants, and boots with. Be sure to try on some gloves before you buy too. I've had some gloves that just plain weren't comfy.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Juneau posted:

In their defense, they're in Hawaii (and 30 includes 4.50 for insuring the package--i've lost too many packages in usps). I checked and this is a legit price by priority mail (ground for usps is within a couple dollars of this too).

The Hawaii excuse is bullshit. When I lived in Honolulu I Fed-Exed an 80lb motorcycle frame to Georgia for $75. I've shipped a lot of crap from Hawaii and a jacket in no way warrants $35.50 of postage unless they're shipping it overnight. Hell, I bet a leather jacket that small could fit into one of those flat-rate boxes that ship for 6-8 bucks.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Fantastipotamus posted:

I just ordered a pair of these from https://www.ridersdiscount.com. They're Joe Rocket "Stage One" textile pants. I like them because they don't look like snowpants, which is what most of the other all-black pants I'd seen ended up looking like. :(

Still mulling gloves though, so we'll see.

I have a pair of those pants. They're actually quite nice. You'll have to get a zipper attached if you want to zip it up with your jacket though.

For gloves, get some Spidi's. Seriously the nicest gloves I've ever owned.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Fantastipotamus posted:

NO ONE has these Joe rocket pants, which is really unfortunate, because I really like them. :(

Apparently they've been discontinued, and I've tried 5 places now, and no one seems to have them. I've got two more places, then I'm giving up.

Why do so many motorcycle pants have to look like they're either emo-tight with huge knees or solid black could double as snowpants. *sigh*

If you wear Levi's, go bigger than what you'd wear. All the same here they are! http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/joe_rocket.php?cPath=1742&products_id=11429 at $97. I had once tried to order an AGV S4 helmet from these guys before it was released in the USA and they actually called me and informed me of the situation and were extremely pleasant when I told them that I wanted to cancel the order. I like this shop.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Uthor posted:

I was tossing up between the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 and the Olympia AST in bright yellow.

I have an Olympia AST in neon yellow. It is very nice and worth every penny. It has kept me toasty down to ~20 degrees.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Can anyone recommend some full height boots that don't look completely ridiculous? I've been wearing my old surplus Air Force boots to ride in, and they'll provide next to zero protection, I think.

I guess it depends on how you define ridiculous, but I just picked up a pair of Sidi Saber MX boots for street riding. They come almost up the bottom of my knee right next to the knee pads in my riding pants. My legs feel like tanks with them on I couldn't be happier with them. I wore them around the house for a few days to break them in and today I went out for a good hundred mile ride and they were very comfortable on my Honda 599. I wouldn't wear them to a meeting or walk around all day in them, but I think they're pretty bad rear end in the Mad Max kind of way.

$175 here: http://www.rockymoto.com/sidi_saber_page.htm

You also might want to look into the Aerostitch Combat boots.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Ripoff posted:

Ah, now I like that style right there. Are the boots flexible enough so you can shift easy and get a good feel for the rear brake? I like tall boots but I don't like the fact that most of them are geared towards motocross where being gentle on the rear brake isn't such a huge worry, so they're not very flexible around the ankle.

I just don't want to get something really inflexible and tough to feel out the brake with.

Edit: Jesus my vocabulary is pathetic. "Unflexible" is not a word.

I think they're flexible enough to suit their intended role. I wouldn't ride a cruiser in them or anything with forward controls, but with my legs slightly tucked up on the raging Hornet they work fine for shifting and braking. I will probably rotate up my shifter one notch though to give a little more room. I'll wait and see how I adjust first though.

Make no mistake, they are no racing boot. The don't have a super thin sole and aren't slanted forward. The quality of feel will be subjective though. The feel is no worse than say a pair of steel-toe work boots.

One thing I've noticed is that as I've worn them around the house they've started to loosen up enough that they're becoming more and more flexible as they wear in. I suspect in a week or so they'll be extremely comfortable. When I first got them I didn't think they would ever work. I'm slowly proving myself wrong.

To me, they just plain feel safer than a pair of race boots. They probably aren't, but they offer an excellent sense of security with your legs all wrapped up nice and snug. Plus the buckles are bitching. They're a size 45 if you want to try them on sometime.

Terminus Est fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 4, 2008

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

teknicolor posted:

So I see heel, ankle, and upper shin support, is that all its got? What about inside ankle, or lower shin? It's a big boot, so I would hope more of the leg would be protected. And is there any room up top for people with big calves? How adjustable is it?

The Sidi Saber boots have heel, ankle, achilles, upper shin, and toe protection. They are by no means a fully hard plastic armored boot. That doesn't mean they won't save some broken bones. I think the general idea is that having the leg tightly wrapped up limits the amount it can move in the wrong direction and also spreads out the forces of impact. I doubt you'll find very many people in MX boots who have bones sticking out of their legs.

The main reason, besides the fact I like high boots, that I bought the Sabers is because I have large calfs. I bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs off of Mapless a while back (thanks by the way, gave them to my brother as he's starting to ride) and while they 'fit' the zippers pissed me off and the calf wouldn't adjust big enough to fit in them. The Sabers have very adjustable buckles and no foo-foo zippers. Each buckle can be tailored to fit that area and they just plain fit and work great. I recommend trying some on and seeing how you like them.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

My brother just got done taking the MSF last weekend and a lady there somehow managed to go rear end-over the top of a Rebel and broke her wrist. From what I gathered, she forgot about the clutch and was WOT on the throttle while trying to pull the front brake. I only imagine that she somehow twisted the bars and got shot over the top. While that shouldn't be expected or common at the MSF, some pretty crazy poo poo happens too it seems. Really, the most important thing to wear at the MSF is a helmet and some leather gloves.

As to Ripoff's Sidi Sabers, I ride my Honda 599 daily with those. Super comfortable and I have no problems shifting in them. There is plenty of ankle mobility to rotate your foot down under the shifter. What you don't have is enough mobility to roll your ankle sideways and I'm pretty sure that is a good thing. Use them on a GSXR? Probably not, but on a Nighthawk they'll be fine. Hell, when I rode Predictive's Versys, they were the perfect boot for that bike.

Kind of a crappy pic, but you can get an idea as to the peg and shifter placement on the 599.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

rope kid posted:

I need some advice on open-face helmets -- other than "don't get them", it's not for me. A friend of mine insists on wearing a 3/4 open-face helmet. She was looking at Fulmer helmets because they come pretty close to the style worn during the era of her bike (early 70s).

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afv2.html

I've also seen the Cromwell classic-style helmets, but I know they aren't DOT certified. Are Fulmer helmets any good? Are there any other good 3/4 open-face helmets of that general style that are better? Thanks.

If she has to get an open face helmet, at least convince her to get one with a face shield. You might be able to convince her that a mad-max styled ROOF, or ROOF-esque helmet would be a smarter choice. While not DOT, they're ECE certified. There's also those old-school mx helmets with the bar going in front of the chin that would be better than nothing and retain that vintage hipster styling. Be sure to tell her about road debris getting kicked up in your face when you ride. I've had enough loving rocks and giant bugs smack my face that I can't imagine the terror of riding without full face protection.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

EvilDonald posted:

Anyone have experience with the Olympia AST?

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/ast_mens/ast_mens.htm

(Tinyurl seems to be broked currently, but the original URL isn't too big)

I have one too. Great jacket in the cold, I found it warm down to freezing. The rest of my body didn't agree much, but my core stayed warm.

They do fit funny I think. The chest area seems too big compared to the shoulders. It seems that I need an XL shoulder and an L chest. I get the big puffy chest roll of fabric with it on the bike. Like Uthor, I need to figure out a system to pull the material back in certain areas to make it fit just right. The sleeves are definitely bigger than they need to be.

I had tried on both a large and an xl before buying. The large was just too drat tight across the shoulders while the xl fit my shoulders great while being cut for a massively fat middle-aged office worker. It ended up annoying me far more than I had expected at the time. Try it on and sit on your bike.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I've done terrible things to my bank account today.

Rev'it Sand Jacket

Rev'it Mistral Pants

TCX X-action boots

After years of rolling crap/mismatched gear it is going to be nice to have something nice.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Ziploc posted:

Love the restraint look of those boots. How is the protection? motorcyclegear.com is kinda vague

I have yet to receive them, but they're CE certified so should be decent enough. I picked these over the x-cube for that reason alone. Revzilla has a video review of them if you want to check that out.

No matter what, they're better than my danners.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

A Duck! posted:

When you get them, mind saying if they run big or small? I'm generally in half sizes, but I really like those boots.

I have some A* Afrika commuter shoes and some Sidi boots, but I hate the moon boot look and those are understated enough I wouldn't mind being around the office in them.

Definitely. I'm a 10-10.5 EE and that generally means size 44, width depending on manufacturer. TCX seems to be viewed as 'wide' so hopefully I don't get too much of the foot burns. Won't be wearing them all day as I'll leave my work boots at work.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

A Duck! posted:

When you get them, mind saying if they run big or small? I'm generally in half sizes, but I really like those boots.

I have some A* Afrika commuter shoes and some Sidi boots, but I hate the moon boot look and those are understated enough I wouldn't mind being around the office in them.

Finally got those TCX X-action boots yesterday. I ordered the size 44s and have to say that the width is good (wide)but they are pretty long for a nominal size 10US. Super comfy and feel protective enough for day to day riding. I rode my 30 mile commute with frost on my bike this morning and my feet were chilled but comfy.

As to that Rev'it Sand jacket, quite the nice piece of kit. Unlike the Olympia AST I had, it is form fitting with enough adjustability to compensate for liners in or out without becoming a balloon. My favorite jacket so far. We'll see how the venting works once southern Washington stops being lovely and get into our 100 degree dry summers. I suspect it will work well enough to keep the salt inside.

Terminus Est fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 18, 2011

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Shimrod posted:

So, got my Shark S-700 S helmet yesterday and have been on some rides so far with it.

Thing is fantastic, way less wind noise than my previous one, a bit lighter even though it's got the internal sun goggles things, catches practically no wind at all and is just super comfy. Do recommend to anyone that has thought of getting a new helmet.

One question though - is it possible to but darker tint goggles inside? The ones in it are a light smoke tint which isn't too bad, but I'd like to get either a dark smoke tint or an iridium one.

Awesome, I just ordered one last night. How did the sizing work out for you? My wife's four year old shark fits me perfect in size large but from what I can tell people are reporting that you need to order a size smaller in the S700.

As to visor replacements, check euro stores as they've had the s700 for a while. There is a pretty good chance that anything from the older s900 will fit. The technical section at shark's website has a parts fiche you can download. Can't remember if it listed other visors though.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

What is it about textile riding gear that makes people think their washing machine will destroy it? Perfectly fine for tumbling down the road, but get it near an agitator and it will somehow get destroyed. Wash it on a gentle cycle, hang dry, put the armor back in. Probably not going to get all the bug guts out though.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I'm gearing up to not be a giant wuss this upcoming fall. So far I have heated grips installed, hand guards on order to deflect the wind, and a rev'it sand jacket with liners. This morning it was 48 and it was a very grumpy 36 mile commute.

I ride a Honda 599/hornet which is a naked bike so no wind protection. I just picked up a shark s700 which is pretty awesome except that when the wind is blowing I get a blast of air up through the neck and straight into my eyes. It sucks. So first step is getting a wind deflector for the helmet. Next, I have a klim neck gator that honestly doesn't do much. Needs a scarf to go with it. Where I fail is in the glove department. I need a recommendation on the best riding gloves for cold weather.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Terminus Est posted:

I need a recommendation on the best riding gloves for cold weather.

I got stuck in a downpour on the way home with temps in the low 50's. Said gently caress it and bought a pair of these:

Racer Elevate Goretex gloves. Bring it cold lovely weather.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

devians posted:

I also find that the gauntlet style is tricky to decide how to wear with my Klim Badlands jacket, as in over or under the sleeve. I opt for glove over jacket because of ease, but it seems like you cant win. Either way you have the jacket draining into the glove or the glove draining into the jacket :/

It seems like a no win situation. My rev'it sand jacket essentially dictates that gloves go under the jacket as the cuff is too big for the gauntlet to go over. The nice thing is that the waterproof liner is easy to get in the gauntlet so I don't get water running up my arm. What does suck is that my jacket gets completely soaked through to the liner.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Shark make a little insert that fits into the gap in front of your chin. I'll upload a couple of pictures when I get home tonight!

That's fine in Europe, but I cannot find a retailer to sell me the part in the states. I found a German site, Louis.de that had what I need but they won't ship to north america due to 'regulations'. I then asked revzilla about it and they were surprised at the lack of parts as well. They told me to check back in October as the shark distributor is expecting a large parts shipment.

I've ordered an AGV K3 to be my winter beater in the mean time.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I had bought a Shark S700 last year and discovered that in the States there was no support in terms of accessories from Shark for their bottom end helmets. My problem was that the long chin guard essentially created a direct flow of air into my eyes. Not a huge deal when it was warm, but not ideal. In my quest for helmet satori I tried to get bits and pieces from a German web retailer such as a chin curtain and a pinlock insert. They didn't ship across the pond because they're fuckers who hate money. As autumn approached, I got fed up with watery eyes and my face freezing in cool temps. I desperation bought an AGV K3 on closeout for my "cool weather" helmet. Nice helmet, but no internal sun visor.

This spring, pissed off and eyeballing my helmets I had an idea. I noticed the K3's chin curtain looked about right size, considering it tries to fall out every time I take the helmet off. I grabbed it and jabbed that fucker into my Shark. It fits, it works awesome. I now like my Shark. Best part is that unlike my AGV, the chin curtain does in fact stay in place. Best part is you can order a chin curtain for the K3 pretty easy for cheap. Alas, no pinlock. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I've recently retired my S700 due to my accidentally spiking it into the ground like an idiot. I've got two (used!) pinlocks and the proper chin guard, shoot me a mail and I'll ship em over to you from Blighty if you like?

rainy dot home at that popular google owned mail service :)

E-mail sent!