Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Sir Tonk posted:

Do you think that the windblocker is worth the cash? I was looking at it on NewEnough and couldn't tell if it would be effective.

Yeah, I used my Scorpion for a long time without it, and then went and bought one, and it helps quite a lot to stop the wind from blowing poo poo up into your helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

DILLIGAF posted:

I want a new helmet.

I know, goodie for me, right?

Here's the thing, I have a, well, unique bike. I want a unique helmet that will offer protection and still look cool. I am looking at full-face helmets, not faggoty spiked, chromed or german "I just rode out of a bad 70's movie" helmets.

Been looking at helmets all over the place and, to be frank, most of them are boring as hell or make you look like a power ranger on acid. I want one that is as aggressive looking as possible. A helmet that makes soccer moms lock thier mini-van doors and little children to point in awe and wonder. I want one to make the church-going squares purse thier prunish lips and shake thier pencil necked heads in disapproval. I want a helmet that is flat black or a mix of flat and gloss. I want a helmet that fits with my bike.

Any suggestions?

For weird and unique, have you considered an Airoh? The S4 and Tyger are both pretty distinctive looking, and you can remove the sun-visor to make them look less dualsport-ish and more streety.

Tyger:

S4:

without sunvisor:

Just imagine it in black and without the nerdy-looking guy in it. I have a couple friends who use them, and they're pretty sweet-looking in person.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

nbv4 posted:

Can someone recommend me some "regular" looking motorcycle gear? I'm looking all around the sites listed above, and all I see are either tacky looking clown suits, or something an old man would wear. I don't ride a crotch rocket, nor am I 55 years old.

Is this asking too much? I mean, I care about being safe, but why not get something you'll look good in?

I just want to be able to get on my motorcycle, ride somewhere, be able to get off and go walking around, go to a restaurant, and not look like I just stepped off a space shuttle. Is there a company out there that specializes in gear for this purpose?

Keep in mind, I'm not at all interested in going to track days, taking corners at 500 mph, popping wheelies, or anything like that. I ride a 500cc Honda cruiser from 1982.

For non-spaceman riding pants, I'm looking into the Olympia Recon Transformer pants. They look just like khaki cargo pants, but they've got the usual Cordura reinforcements and whatnot. They make matching jackets too, but I'm more into leather for jackets, like my Cortech Coaster jacket, which is totally non-Power-Ranger.

Or there's the usual selection of Kevlar-reinforced jeans, like Draggin' Jeans or the Teknic Rage jeans or a bunch of other brands that make that kind of stuff.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

nbv4 posted:

What do people typically wear when just riding around town? I'm planning a trip in a few weeks where I ride down to L.A. (3 hours), then just ride around the town, stopping at various places along the way.

I'm thinking of maybe getting some kind of jumpsuit that I can wear while on the bike, then when it's time to get off, I'll just takeoff the jumpsuit and wear my regular clothes underneath...

For oversuit purposes, I love my Fieldsheer Highland suit. It's got all the usual armor, can be put on or taken off in under 10 seconds with some practice, and it's waterproof as gently caress, as I was delighted to find out while traveling through the Godforsaken Yukon a few weeks ago.

Also, it's only $260. For what it does, that's wicked cheap, even though it makes me look like a fat fighter pilot. Probably should have gotten one size smaller.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

ChiliMac posted:

I was looking at putting a pad/armor in the back of my jacket (has a pocket)--do I need to match brands to the jacket or is there a better way? What about some sort of trim-to-fit foam? I don't want to "cheap out" on protection but at the same time I have an inkling that as long as we are talking about impact foam there needn't be a price premium on cutting it into a fancy shape.

I just read about this in WebBikeWorld's Top 10 Gear, might be worth a look:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/furygan/fighter-jacket/

the optional back protector, not the jacket--scroll down a little bit. It's CE level 2, looks like it has a few different sizes to fit whatever jacket, and it's squishy but stiffens when something hits it. For ~$35, I doubt you'll find a cheaper one that's a CE level 2. Looks like it might fit my jacket too--I'm thinking about trying it to replace the cheap foam in mine.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Uthor posted:

That looks nice, but just doesn't look convenient enough to wear to and from work. I'll think about it.

Plus, I just can't pull off this look:

I'm just not cool enough.

EDIT:
Some of the other stuff on that site looks cool, too.

A good cheaper alternative to that suit is the Fieldsheer Highland suit. It's got a zipper from bottom cuff to neck, so you can take it off/put it on in under 10 seconds (how's that for convenient?). it's warm as hell with the liner in, and as waterproof as you could possibly want. I wore it from LA to the Arctic Circle and back this past summer, and it was absolutely perfect, other than making me look like a pudgy fighter pilot.

Also it's $240 right now at Ridenow Motorsports (http://www.ridenow.com/product/detail/RN78698.aspx).

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Whatever it is, it's actually pretty sturdy construction. Not equivalent to leather, obviously, but it's definitely beefier than some other textile gear I've had.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Holy poo poo, this is brilliant.

Long-johns made from solid 100% knit Kevlar. Now ALL my pants are motorcycle pants. And yeah, you can add knee armor too if you care about your kneecaps. Whatever. And they're made by Draggin' Jeans, who I've heard good things about.

Finally, gear that covers my balls with Kevlar. Took 'em long enough.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

rope kid posted:

Nice. I don't even wear my Draggin' Jeans anymore because I don't like the cut. And because I lost 2" off of my waist.

Yeah, the cut is one of the main reasons I don't have any Draggin' Jeans--I'm pretty sure tapered leg hasn't been remotely acceptable since some point in the 80's. Would it kill them to make something in a remotely fashionable cut?

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Fantastipotamus posted:

The US site aren't the only manufacturer of kevlar lined jeans. In fact, the australian 'draggin jeans' site (http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/) has a bunch of different styles and types of normal-looking kevlar-lined pants. Jeans, cargo pants, zip-off's, even khakis/chinos.

These pants are actually pretty good looking, if they weren't $235. Stupid american dollars. :(
http://www.flexegate.com.au/cgi-bin/djstore/m_silverbk.html?id=kWGnffPf&mv_pc=198

My Shift Lodown kevlar jeans look pretty dsmn good, if it helps, and they're only $70, although the Kevlar portions aren't quite as thick as I've seen in some other brands. But hey, they look good.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I've been considering these as well as the Torque model. My biggest concern is the lack of armor (or ability to add armor). Ideally I'd like at least knee armor. I guess they're still better than the regular jeans I usually wear any way you look at it.

Wear motocross knee/shin guards under them? Or the low-profile Icon ones, those aren't bad either. Yeah, it'd be nice to have some knee armor sometimes.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

LOLLERZ posted:

No kidding on this, I've been trying to figure out how to make my own pair of pants that don't suck. Mainly I want to be able to unzip both legs and take them off without having to take off my boots. Locking them to the bike would be an awesome bonus.

The Olympia Recon pants sound pretty close to what you're trying to do. They don't look bad at all off the bike, but the leg zippers go up to the knee, so you can either take then off with your boots still on, or zip off the legs (with armor attached) leaving you with a perfectly reasonable pair of cargo shorts.

The mesh bits vent super well, too. My only complaint is that they'd look better if the legs were just a tad wider at the bottom.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

pr0zac posted:

The wash ain't bad, but they are baggier than my textile overpants. Thats the issue, its either grandpa light blue wash, or hip-hop star baggie. Kevlar is cheap on ebay though: http://tinyurl.com/6z22uq , so I might see if I can convince my seamstress friend to sew some into jeans I already have, since I already own kevlar thread.

Edit: (anyone have 1.45 mil I can borrow?) : http://tinyurl.com/62k53g

Shift makes another style called the Lodown. Not sure why they're cheaper than the Torque model, but they also have Kevlar in rear end/hips/knee areas, and they're drat good looking jeans. I have them in both the regular blue and indigo colors, and I can take pictures of how they look if you want.

I've had the Teknic Rage and Teknic Warrior aramid-reinforced jeans, and the Shift Lodown ones are, so far, the best-looking ones, at least on me. No one's suspected that they were anything but a regular pair of (in my opinion) stylish jeans. They're kind of a boot-cut style, I think.

Fake edit: whatever, I took a picture. They're filthy with chain grease and whatnot, but you can mostly tell they're pretty standard non-Grandpa jeans:

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Nait Sirhc posted:

Has anyone linked MotoDirect.com in here yet?

They sell pretty much all the gear you'd need, at amazing prices. I've ordered a mesh jacket and EXL helmet from them, it should be here next week. The jacket is comparable to a Joe Rocket ballistics jacket and only cost me $70 shipped.

wow, dang.

I dunno if I'd trust the no-name protective stuff, since I don't know anything about it, but the other stuff, like cheap-rear end textile saddlebags and MX goggles and stuff, that's all like 50% of what the usual brands are charging, which is a drat good deal even if it's made in darkest China out of a Cordura/Lead alloy.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

gotly posted:

What am I looking at here? Do I have to wear another jacket over this? I've never seen anything like this.

Or there's the Troy Lee Leather Speed Jacket, which is basically the same thing, only made of perfed leather:

Pretty hardcore. I was thinking about getting one to match my post-apocalyptic supermoto, although the back protector isn't as long as I'd prefer.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
I was just wondering something: am I the only guy who prefers a motocross helmet in the summer?

I never see anyone else doing it, but in 6 years of riding, I haven't found a full-face street helmet capable of half the airflow as a dirt helmet plus goggles. There's just no comparison. And it's DOT/Snell-approved, so as far as crash tests are concerned there's no difference in how well it protects.

Granted, I wouldn't use it for 500-mile days on the freeway, but for commuting, especially through the city, it beats the poo poo out of my usual street helmets. Plus, they're cheap as hell if you wait for a sale. I got mine for $20 at the Long Beach bike show, and the goggles for another 15 or so.

I admit it would feel weird to wear it on my other, non-dualsport bike, but on a hot day here in LA, I'm pretty sure I'd wear it anyway.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

FunkyJunk posted:

Yeah, I guess you're right. But the guy says he bought it for $20 - there's no way in hell a $20 helmet is getting Snell certification.

Dude. Have you never been to a bike show? Who buys anything at full price at a bike show? It was end of the day on Sunday, when they just start making up new prices so they don't have to pack all that stuff back up.

I didn't say it was a $20 helmet, I just said that's what I got it for.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

m0nk3yz posted:

B> a decent net for the back that fits the sports bike hooks that comes with the F4i. Any of you have any recommendations?

My dad and I have tried a few nets, and nothing's worked better than the basic $6 one we got at Cycle Gear. Vinyl-coated metal hooks > loving plastic hooks that will eventually weaken in the sun and break.

One of these.--$4. They eventually get less stretchy over the years, but I haven't had one actually break yet, despite strapping way too much heavy poo poo down with them repeatedly.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Are there any motorcycle boots that dont look like, well, motorcycle boots? This would be for street riding and it would help if they were inexpensive.

I have a pair of these, the Frank Thomas Pro Stunt shoes. They have the basic minimum protection: plastic ankle protection discs, shifter reinforcement. Comfortable as hell, just like sneakers. I wore them all the way to Alaska and back, and they're still in one piece. $80, maybe less if they're having a sale at Cycle Gear.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Question for those in hotter climates...what jackets are you wearing? I'm in SoCal and it's starting to get up around 80 degrees F and I can already tell that the leather jacket is going to be unwearable in about a month and a half when we hit summer time with temps around 100.

I can usually manage in my vented leather jacket, but on the really hot days, I add an evaporative cooling vest, and all is good with the world, as long as you don't mind getting a little bit damp. If I'm not planning on going over 40mph or I'm on the scooter, the vest under a mesh jacket is like my own little pocket of winter, plus I dust my undercarriage liberally with Gold Bond to alleviate swamp crotch. It's like a golden breathmint for my balls (maybe a little NSFW)

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

ChubbyPitbull posted:

Question for office-job riders who use their bikes for daily commute. I just started riding this season, and wanted to see about getting some gear for leg protection in addition to my helmet/jacket/gloves.

I need to wear khakis at least at work, so I was thinking about trying to find a set of riding pants I could easily put on when I leave in the morning and take off when I get to the office. Is there a style of gear that could accomplish this without leaving me bathing in sweat by the time I get to work? Or would it be better to instead get regular riding gear for the trip and just change when I get to work?

I have a pair of Olympia Recon 2's 2 inches larger than my regular waist size, and I use them as regular riding pants or overpants, depending on my needs, and they flow air like a mofo. Also, they convert to shorts and everyone tells me they look badass, although sometimes I wonder if they're being sarcastic.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Spiffness posted:

Seriously, need to talk about this:

rear end numbing.

My 690 is brutal on the cheeks after a couple hours riding. The seat is narrow, and you have to change position constantly or stand up for a few minutes to retain feeling in your rear end. I'm really not interested in changing out the seat on the bike, I'd rather suffer than compromise the looks or how nice the bike feels when you get to a fun stretch of road with a wide comfy aftermarket seat. So I'm considering a gear solution. Anyone else have a bike that's a torture device that was able to solve it with a gear solution?

I find that some nice tight bicycle shorts help with particularly hard/narrow seats. My DR650's seat feels like it's made of wood, and my bike shorts made the ride to Alaska comfy comfier decent tolerable barely tolerable.

Have you considered a temporary seat pad/cover to throw over the seat for longer rides and then remove to retain badass appearance? I hear sheepskin is nice.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Methusulah posted:

Can anybody recommend me boots, preferably under 100 bucks, that are comfortable to ride in for extended periods of time; and look fairly normal when off the bike? I'll be riding it to school and work and would prefer to not have to change shoes. Hell that's not even a big deal, I mostly don't want sore feet.

They're naturally not as protective as a proper full-length race boot or anything, but I have a pair of Frank Thomas Pro Stunt boots, and they're basically suede sneakers with ankle armor. Wore 'em to the Arctic Circle and back a couple of years ago, and they're comfy enough to hike in too.

I'm told the Icon Super Duty is also pretty comfy, and it looks a little beefier than the Frank Thomas.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

OrangeFurious posted:

What do you guys do with your old helmets? I've got a couple that are no longer suitable for riding in, but not so trashed that I wouldn't feel bad throwing them out. Anyone have a creative scheme?

I've heard someone suggest donating it to your local EMS/Fire Dept. so they can use it to practice removal techniques for injured motorcyclists.

Or you can turn it over, make a base for it, and turn it into a flowerpot, or an aquarium.

Or drill a hole in the top and make it into a lamp base:

or Helmet Computer.

Or get drunk with your friends and put them on and have boxing matches.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 2, 2009

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So i finally gave in and am now a member of the Aerostich army--got me a pair of their Combat Touring boots that I'm always hearing so much about, even though they were 300 fuckin' dollars.

My opinion so far: worth every penny. It's going to take a lot of riding and walking to get these broken in, because they are crazy solid. A little under 3 pound each, and if I ever step on a landmine, I guarantee you there will be plenty of DNA left in my pristine lower legs to clone me.

My only complaint is that they're built for dudes with much thicker calves than I've got, so most of the velcro straps are hanging off the back. Thinking about replacing the straps with buckles, like this dude did:

Then just for kicks, add a metal shin plate to complete the Mad Max look.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

DrakeriderCa posted:

Speaking of boots, I'd like to get something for riding, but I'm not a fan of the average motorcycle boot. I was thinking about a pair of these: Alberta Boot Coy - Men's Biker Boot. As far as boots go, would I be putting myself into danger with these? Would I be missing anything crucial to protection in case of a crash?

You'd be missing pretty much everything. Cowboy boots are worth basically dick in an accident. Disregarding the total lack of armor, there isn't even anything keeping them from flying directly off your foot, leaving you with zero protection.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

DrakeriderCa posted:

Can you recommend any boots that would protect me better, cost less than $Texas, and could be wearable with jeans without looking like I stepped off a Moto GP track?

Well, if it covers the ankle and has something actually keeping it attached to your foot it's already head and shoulders above a straight-up cowboy boot. Depends on exactly what you're looking for, I guess.

work boot style:
Icon Super Duty 2
Jeo Rocket Orbit
sneaker style:
Frank Thomas Pro Stunt
Shift Fuel

Alpinestars Harlem
bikery:
Tour master Nomad

My basic minimum rule of thumb:
-leather
-won't just fall the hell off in an accident.
-covers ankle, preferably with some kind of actual hard armor for those useful and oh-so-breakable bones in your ankle.

Ideally, torsion and shin protection are nice too, but that usually brings you back into Look, I'm Valentino Rossi! territory.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Gnaghi posted:

Wow I might have to pick these up. If they are as comfortable as they look I won't have to cart extra shoes to work and keep my Icon armor boots by my desk.

They're exactly as comfy as they look, although as with nearly every shoe I've ever had, they're better with a good quality insole added.

Methusulah posted:

I wasn't sure what to get on pants, and I didn't want to drop 300 bucks on pants without really finding out what I should get. I plan on riding to school (half mile away, probably taking the 3 mile route to get there :P) and a 1.5 mile ride to work, with a lot of riding around when i'm not at school/working. What kind of pant should I get? I was thinking overpants, but with the unpredicatble heat of the midwest, should I get dedicated pants for riding that would vent better? Vise versa, dedicated pants that would keep me warmer? (if I get pants just for riding, should I get multiple pairs so I can wash one or more and still feel comfortable riding?) It's an area I'm really not sure which way to go in and would like some insight and advice in before I drop a few hundred bucks on clothing.

I've tried various pants options--kevlar jeans, leather pants, etc., and my favorite so far is a pair of Olympia Recon pants, in a size 2" larger in the waist than my regular pants. If it's not too hot, I can wear them as overpants over my jeans. If it's hot, I can wear them over a pair of workout shorts and enjoy the loads of refreshing airflow around my legs and crotch. If it's cold, I can wear them over jeans and long johns. If it's wet, I can wear rain pants over them. The elastic in the waist makes them fit pretty much equally well over stuff or by themselves. Plus, they zip off into cargo shorts, which is surprisingly useful, and they actually get a lot of positive comments on how they look:

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 6, 2009

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Teknic Rebel, large, on Ebay

If I didn't already have way too many jackets, I'd be all over that.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Zool posted:

Found a used Alpinestars S-Moto suit for 240 shipped!

So? Link, man! Share the love!

edit: gently caress, missed the word "used".

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Uthor posted:

Cheaper (but not quite as nice) is the Olympia Phantom.

Even cheaper is the Fieldsheer Highland, which kept me toasty and dry all the way to the arctic circle some years back, although I've recently had the epiphany that it's probably cheaper and just as effective to just wear my regular poo poo under a dedicated rainsuit.

My solution for making my boots waterproof was to just wear whatever drat boots I wanna wear, with a 1 gallon plastic bag worn between my sock and the boot. It's what Macgyver would do.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 23, 2009

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Skier posted:

A friend has that Fieldsheer suit. The construction quality isn't in the same league as my Roadcrafter.

Yeah, it's also $500 cheaper.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

ohwandernearer posted:

I think I remember some discussion of one-piece textile suits a while back but I cdan't find it.

I saw this on motorcycle closeouts
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/rustys+favorites/fieldsheer_cyclone+suit+-+one+piece
the fieldsheer cyclone suit.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? What range of temperatures is it viable in?

Any comments on the overall protectiveness?

Thanks

It looks like basically an updated version of my Fieldsheer Highland. I'm sure someone will mention that Carbolex < Cordura, which is probably true, but other than that, my Highland took me from LA to the arctic circle and back without a drop of all that loving rain getting inside, while keeping me toasty as hell. Granted, it was the summer, but with the rain and stuff, I'm quite sure the wind chill brought it effectively below freezing a few times and I was fine. I had to leave out the quilted liner in all but the coldest stuff.

Had to leave it partially unzipped once I was back in Oregon and Cali because the venting sucked, but maybe they've improved that.

Made me look like a fat fighter pilot too, but them's the breaks.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

DiscoKid posted:

Do you guys think this

looks cool and will perform well for the price?
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Scorpion-Helmets/EXO-700-SCORPION-Gold-Helmet/57115.html
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/TOURMASTER-MENS-COASTER-II-JACKET-FLAT-BLACK-BROWN/62295.html

Total of about $470.

edit: It's either this or a new set of golf clubs...(changed the price from my original post, misread the prices)

I love and wear Scorpion helmets, but gently caress, $250? You gotta be able to find one for less than that.

The Coaster jacket is a solid piece of gear. I have the previous generation Tourmaster Coaster, and it's beefy as hell, has great armor, and looks classy, and only falls short in the (socal) winter when the vent zippers pass way too much cold air when they're closed. Maybe the Coaster 2 has improved on that particular issue.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Or you can just add then onto your existing gloves:
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-veewipe-squeegee.html

e:f;b

oh hey, $1.76 option: http://www.helmetsforless.com/finger-squeegee

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 23, 2010

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

ought ten posted:

Also disappointingly the two snaps on my Olympia Airglide overpants failed (:btroll:), one on the first day of the trip and the other on the last. Both tore the snapping part from it's housing in the pants flap, something I haven't ever seen a snap do. I guess I was just ripping my pants off too aggressively for all those ladies we met.

I've had the same issue with Olympia snaps. The cargo pocket snaps on my Recon pants have both lost their stupid snaps. Also the stitching is coming apart right where the seams meet on the pant's taint. Could we maybe have better stitching that close to my balls, Olympia?

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Re: audio and earplugs.

I've tried various versions of the Sony EX-whatevers and some of them I crossbred with some flanged etymotic earplugs, and they're okay, but the best blocking of outside sound I ever got was from a pair of Koss earphones.

The "The Plug" model ones were seriously like using gun-club earplugs. The "Spark Plug" ones were the same, but the extra bulk made it hard to get my helmet on without knocking them out of my ears. Run out of foam tips? Drill a hole in some cheap foam earplugs. Bam. Done. It's cheap and ugly, but, uh, it's cheap and keeps the noise out.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
I'm not sure what's going on with people thinking the exo-400 is a boat anchor and the 700 isn't. According to the reviews on webbikeworld, the 700 is 1733 grams and the 400 is 1785 grams.
That's a 3% difference, guys.
The 400 flows a tiny bit less air, but for all intents and purposes, they're the same helmet. Get a 400, it's cheaper. I've had two, and worn them both on exceptionally long road trips, and the weight of my helmet has never once actually been a thing.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Armyman25 posted:

I'm thinking of taking a long motorcycle road trip next spring. I'm looking at what jacket/gear would be the best for spring weather, which might alternate between cold and rainy and sunny and warm.

Would a jacket like this be the best all around solution?
AGV Telluride waterproof jacket

http://www.newenough.com/street/jackets_and_vests/textile_jackets/agv/telluride_waterproof_motorcycle_jacket.html

It doesn't look as cool as something like this, but I'm guessing that it'd be more functional:
Tourmaster Coaster II

http://www.newenough.com/street/jackets_and_vests/sport_leather_jackets/tour_master/coaster_ii_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

Would I be better off getting the textile overpants/ and longer jacket set up than trying to work with leathers?

It seems like the textiles would offer better all around performance, even if they don't look as cool.

In my totally subjective experience, jackets that are "waterproof" are rarely actually waterproof, and I've finally given up on the concept as part of a riding jacket. I have the earlier version of that Tourmaster Coaster, and it is probably the best piece of gear I've had. I've been wearing it for years, because it looks good and it's solid as hell, and it works well enough to be a 4 season jacket here in socal. For rain, I just wear a dedicated *actually waterproof* Frogg Toggs rainsuit over my gear, and it's worked better than any other solution I've tried yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Speaking of moto gear, do any of you guys get annoyed at characters in zombie movies that go out in regular clothes and then get bit? "Man, I'd never do that. I'd just throw on my leathers. See if you can chew through armored cowhide, bitch."

Zombie apocalypse comes, my rear end is prepared.