Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack
I was just looking at some gear for when I get a new bike, and I saw this kid on the Schuberth website:

And I fell in love. I honestly think it's the nicest helmet I've ever seen. Some people may not like the pattern on the exterior, but I think it's sex. So I decide "right, I will own this helmet" and whipped onto froogle to see what average prices were. £750! :aaaaa:. That's coming up to what the bike itself will cost! Dreams shattered, I suppose I'll have to find something else :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

PlasticSun posted:

There's the HJC AC-12 Carbon. I've got it and aside from it being a bit noisy I've been very happy with it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/carbon/

That's a nice helmet, and much cheaper, but it doesn't have the built in sun screen. Unfortunately, I imagine that all helmets with built in sun screens are well expensive.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

PlasticSun posted:

The new Scorpion 1000 helmet has a built in sunscreen and that funny Rebock Pump cheek pads. I like the idea of internal sunscreens a lot, but the schuberths that I've tried on the screen ends just below my eyes causing me to have to look through the edge of the screen depending on the helmet's position on my head. It's a really cool idea, but I'd rather see one that slides down closer to the visor rather than closer to the eyes.

I looked that up, and it is a really nice looking helmet, and not overly expensive either. I'll definitely look into that whenn it's released/I get a new bike.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

Road_Warrior posted:

Inst that what The Stig wears? (but in white)

I think it is, but the Stig wore a black on as well for the first few seasons.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

RC212V posted:

I'm wanting to buy one of the those new EXO-1000 Scorpion helmets so I don't have to carry a clear visor with me everywhere, but the only place I've really seen them for sale is NewEnough.com. If I go into a store and try on the other Scorpion helmets, should the fit be the same from the 700 series?

Just as a heads up, that's because they've not been released , so far as I know. They're only available for pre-order, so if you wait they might get some in stores when they are released (june I think.)

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

Mapless posted:

Are you really wanting to buy a helmet with inflatable bits?

Hell yeah. If they work well, then it's a really nice helmet. I'm gonna wait for some reviews to come in when they do come out and if they're favourable I'll try it out.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack
Can anyone offer an opinion on armoured shirts, such as this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-armor/velocity-gear/juggernaut.htm

The review there is very positive, and I tend to trust their opinion, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiance with them?

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack
Just ordered an Airoh TR1 (as reviewed here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/airoh-tr1/) in blue. I'll post a full report when it gets here tommorrow or saturday. I'm so excited!

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

bung posted:

^^^ That's a nice looking helmet and I really like the ratcheting chin strap. I'd kill for a Roof Boxer though.

I think my bank account would kill itself if I got a Roof Boxer.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack
Alright here's my quickie report of my brand spanking new Airoh TR1. It's loving mint! I love it. For one, it weighs hardly anything, and is really well balanced, so it honestly feels like it's part of my head. I took the reccomendation of the sight and bought a large (59-60cm) instead of my usual medium (57-58cm) and they were dead on, fits me perfectly.

It looks fantastic, and the internal sunshade is the dogs bollocks, really easy to use, should be standard with all helmets I reckon.

The strap is great as well, because it has velcro to hold the pad in place whilst you do up the main ratchet. The ratchet is also great and can be operated with both gloves on, which is a big plus for me, simply because I always thought it looked cooler to put your helmet on last before riding off :c00lbert:.

The only downside of it is that because of how it has ear indents which make it very comfortable to wear whilst riding, it can hurt my ears a bit to take off. If anybody knows of a way to minimise this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Overall, despite that sole caveat, I have to say I loving love this helmet, best one I've ever owned in my opinion.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

iroc_dis posted:

Fuuuuck. I can't decide on either Oxtar TCS Replicas or shell out another $100 for Alpinestars SMX Plus

I can't say about the Alpinestars, but I have a pair of Oxtar TCS replicas (bought them with the helmet above) and they are the dogs bollocks. I honestly love them, really comfortable, even after long hours. I've ridden to work, worked for about 4 hours, and back in them, as well as a couple of longer rides, and I have no complaints about them.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

IAMKOREA posted:

Anyone heard about the UK SHARP system for helmet ratings?

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

I saw this on the cover of MCN earlier in sainsbury's, the seemed really positive about it at least.

23reasons fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

Coredump posted:

Didn't Oxtar get changed to another name? I don't think these will be easy to find?

No, Oxtar are still going strong. I don't know about the Explorers, but I have a pair of Oxtar TCS's that I got about 6 months ago.