Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I have a feeling I'll be dropping some coin on new gear this summer. I picked up a used Dainese two piece suit in great condition for a bitchin price last fall. It was great in colder weather but it's going to completely suck rear end for warmer weather. Non-perforated, extremely limited vents, and super thick leather doesn't make for a very good summer suit.

Would I notice a big difference in perforated pants? I'm thinking of just getting a new perforated jacket that will connect to my current pants. It seems you would get more cooling by keeping your core in the airflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, I took advantage of Buell's recent demise (and subsequent firesale pricing...) and picked up a 1125R last weekend :woop:

I have some old gear from my cb750f days a few years ago and found out apparently I've lost some weight. I've got a set of Dainese two piece leathers that are too big on me, and kind of annoying for commutting since I can't fit pants underneath the leathers. As such, I'm looking for some new gear... warm poo poo since it's going into winter :(.

Anyone have experience with Olympia gear? I'm looking at either the Phantom one piece or an AST jacket and Ranger 2 pants. One of the guys at my office (multiple IronButt rides, ridden from Iowa to northern Alaska a couple times...) recommended against the one piece because he said even great gear manufacturers like Areostitch's one piece suits tend to eventually leak along the huge zipper across the front -- easy in and out of the suit but a big potential leak point. He didn't have any firsthand experience with the Olympia stuff but had heard good things about it.

My big question is -- who HAS had firsthand experience with the Olympia Phantom or AST? The other thing I was concerned about with the AST is I don't see any mention of a zipper to connect the jacket to the pants, which I would like to have. I'm also slightly concerned it seems like it would be a bit... "flappy" at speed. Other than that it looks like a great jacket for touring and commuting.

I'm also going to need another set of gloves for the winter. I've currently got Alpinestars GP Plus's that have a few years on them but are still in pretty drat good shape, but they really don't offer much if anything in the way of warmth. Suggestions on cold weather gloves?

I'll be picking up some proper leathers late winter or early spring for more spirited riding / track use. Any particular ones I should consider?

It's awesome to be on a modern bike :)

Edit -- the Dianese leathers are up for grabs if anyone is needing a set. I'll get sizes later today. Anyone interested in a used but never crashed in set of leathers?

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 19, 2009

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Just use your Suomy in the rain you baby. You could buy roughly 8 sets of replacement cheekpads/internal padding for 200$, so if it starts to get rank then you can just replace the padding.

I guess this would go in the gear thread and it's somewhat related to Suomy helmets...

If anyone is looking for a great set of earbuds for riding I can heartily suggest the Etymotic er6i's. I picked up a set before my short trip last weekend, wore them on that and commuting to and from work ever since and have been extremely impressed with them. They come with four different types of inserts so it's very likely you'll find something that works well for your individual ear shape. I've found the larger gray triple flange inserts provide the best sound quality (great, punchy bass and good reproduction of highs), however, that type of plug always has a tendency to work itself out of my ear. I've been using the foam plugs the past few days and while the sound reproduction isn't as nice as the bigger triple flange plugs they seal out wind much better and my ear doesn't spit them out after a half hour or so.

My question is, while these earbuds work just fine with my 3 year old HJC helmet, I'm looking at getting something a bit better in the near future and have been looking at Suomys. What I'm wondering is how much room a spec 1r has around the ears -- is it possible to wear some kind of earbud with them? Also, are they basically a racing helmet that's obnoxiously loud for commuting and/or touring?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I use ER6is with no problems in my Suomy, both in my Spec 1r and my Spec 1r Extreme. The 3 flange plugs fit my ears great and I use them on just about every ride. Helmet noise varies wildly between riders and has a lot to do with how your head fits into the helmet and your motorcycle and riding position. I find the Suomys louder than my Arais, but not in a really bad way. It's just the usual roar of wind passing over the helmet, not a whistle or anything like that.

If you know what your fit is like on the Suomys, send me a PM/E-mail through the site and I'll hook you up with the guy that I get my helmets from. He's got killer deals when it comes to sales directed at him personally.

Thanks for the info :)

I wish I did know my fit with Suomy, NO ONE in my area carries them :(. I'm taking another trip this weekend and will be running by/through a number of big cities, hopefuly I can find a shop that carries them.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Oh god motorcycling very harmful to my wallet.

Any reason I shouldn't replace my too big Gaerne street boots with a pair of Sidi Vertigo's that actually fit :ohdear:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

They squeak if you don't lubricate the plates, and the extra flashy bits will sometimes hang up on the heel guards of a bike.

But those are pretty much the only reasons not to. Great boots, good protection, look .

Good enough for me, I'll snag 'em tomorrow :D

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Anyone familiar with fieldsheer branded bags? I'm looking at this
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tail_bags/fieldsheer/expander_motorcycle_tail_bag.html
plus it's saddlebag counterparts. Anyone have one of these? Can you fit a helmet or jacket into this bag? I'd love to know before I buy it and realize its too small to really be useful for carrying boots/pants/whatever around when I'm off the bike.

Thanks!

No experience with that bag directly but I just picked up a set of Cortech Sport saddlebags and tailbag -- I'm going to throw those on the bike tonight and will have a good idea what they're like when I take my little road trip this weekend.

needknees fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 30, 2009

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
damnit double post

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

dietcokefiend posted:

I used my Sport saddlebags and seat bag on my last trip. Decent space, but awful rain cover design. When you have all the straps securing the bag to your bike, you cant fully cover the bag with the rain fly thing. I ended up losing one about 30 miles out of cincinnati, and saw the other one was about to fly off. Even with the rainfly though, in a constant downpour your poo poo is going to get soaked. Put clothing and whatnot in a trashbag to keep the water off it.

Thanks for the heads up about the flying rain covers :-/. That was my fear with a soft bag... I was definitely planning to use a trashbag for a waterproof liner. I always used them backpacking, figured this would be much the same. If only someone made good hard bags / mounts for my bike :(.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, picked up a little more gear last weekend :). I got the Vergigo boots per Z3n's recommendation and because it was pretty goddamn cold I snaged a pair of Cortech Scarab winter gloves. The are definitely warmer than my A* GP Plus gloves, at the expense of control feel. Not bad though, and they kept my hands significantly more comfortable in the cold weather.

If anyone is on the lookout for some gently used Dainese 2pc leathers let me know. They're just too big for me. The shoulders of the jacket are just about right but it's huge through the torso. The pants are just flat out huge on me. I want to say the jacket is a 49 and the pants are 52, I will check on this tonight. I'll get some pics and whatever other info I can offer later tonight.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

aventari posted:

The earplugs I use for riding don't seem to cut out enough noise because I can still hear ringing after long rides at high speed. I just use the ear plugs they have at the pharmacy or walmart or whatever and get the ones that claim to cut out the most dB's possible, but I'd like something better. I've tried many different ones.

Are there better or custom earplugs or something I could get?

I use these plugs for both riding (if I don't have the er6i's in) and shooting:

http://www.howardleight.com/family/index/1

They offer a great NRR and are quite comfortable. One thing you want to make sure of with ANY earplug is that it's inserted correctly. Roll it up as small as you can, hold your ear up and out from your head with one hand while you insert the plug with the other, then most importantly, hold the plug into your ear while it expands. This amount of time varies with different plugs and temps but is crucial to good earplug fit.

Some people just have ears that don't adapt to plugs well. Custom molded plugs are pricy compared to disposables but they're reuseable and tend to be much more comfortable. You can get DIY kits pretty cheap. I can't remember what company it was but I've seen vendors at big uspsa matches setup to do custom plugs right there.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Selling a two piece Dainese set of leathers:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3236113

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, finally took the plunge and ordered some textile gear for commuting and "normal" riding. The Dainese leathers I'm selling ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3236113 come on SOMEONE needs a nice set of leathers!) were just too drat big... I wanted to get something that would *actually* fit.

I've been looking at the TPG gear for ~3 months and ended up cracking when I saw it linked here AGAIN a few posts up. Went with a Rainer jacket and Escape pants. I'm quite interested to see how they perform. Of course, I ordered them just in time for the freakin blizzard we're forecast to get on tuesday, along with single digit lows :(

Winter can't end soon enough! I don't mind riding when it's cold out but I think it might be time to call it quits for awhile when there's 8-12" of snow and 40mph winds coming :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

PlasticSun posted:

You'll really like the TPG stuff, I got the overpants for my gf and I think they're better than my Rev'it Ultimate pants in a lot of ways.

That's good to hear. The jacket was pretty drat cheap but the pants were on the expensive side. I've got a couple fairly long trips planned for next year so I definitely want something that's going to hold up and be wind/waterproof.

Since people were discussing touring and luggage here I suppose this is as good of a place as any to ask this... Who's done some reasonably long distance touring on a sportbike? I'm looking for suggestions for luggage for my CBR1000. I had a set of Cortech sport saddlebags and the tailbag that went with it for my Buell but they just don't fit very well on the CBR due to its extremely thin tailsection. The bags have a tendency to sag underneath the tail and I'm worried they're going to get into the tire. I've not been using them and just running with the tailbag and a backpack instead... and I really don't like wearing a backpack on a bike.

Here's what I'm looking at right now:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/919/474/

Little bit on the pricey side for soft luggage but everything I've read about it has been positive and it's seems to be designed with sportbikes in mind -- it's got an internal frame to keep the bags stiff so they don't sag underneath the bike. It's also got an optional tent bag that attaches securely to the top of it, and another upside is it looks like it'll hold a shitload of stuff. Downsides? Looks pretty freakin huge... I don't know if I'd want to leave it on the bike all the time like the cortech stuff. Seems like it would work great for longer trips though.

Anyone else have suggestions? I'm looking for a tankbag as well.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
:toot:

NewEnough Email posted:

This is an automated shipment notification from your friends at New Enough!

The following items have been shipped:

Items
-----
1 TPG Rainier Textile Jacket [$149.00]
1 TPG Escape Textile Overpants [$224.99]

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I might take this, I need a set of winter gloves.

On that topic I need winter gloves. My summer gloves are alpinestar SP2's which I am fine with down to about 50-55 degrees. I picked up a set of glove liners which work ok down to 40 or so but are pretty incomfortable in the finger tips. I would like to find a good set of cold weather gloves that I can ride with down to around 30 degrees. Anyone have any recomendations? I plan on swinging by cycle gear tonight to see what they have.

I ride a SV650 naked and a DRZ400SM so I have no form of wind blocking on either bike at the moment.

I picked up a pair of Cortech Scarab winter gloves before a 800mi trip in fairly cold temps about a month ago and I've been pretty pleased with them so far. I've ridden with them down to upper 20s and they keep my hands pretty warm. They're supposedly waterproof as well, but I've not ridden in the rain with them. The one problems I've had with them is if it warms up my hands start to sweat a little bit and get kinda clammy in the gloves, and for some reason my right pinky finger got a little numb when they were brand brand new... I suspect they just hadn't broken in yet because I've not experienced that since.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bought these and went for a 20 mile ride at around 40 degrees without the liners or grip heaters on and the hands stayed pretty comfortable. These will work great, turns out most of the people I ride with have the same gloves.

Cool, glad they worked out for you :). Did you find any of your fingers going a bit numb?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
A 13.1 pound package from NewEnoough finally found its way to my local fedex sorting facility this morning, and is heading to my door right now!

:toot:

Aaannnnnnd it showed up when I went out to run some errands. I got a TPG Rainer jacket and the tpg escape pants to go with it. The jacket fits great, it's nice to actually have gear that fits! The pants with the liner in are a bit too small to go over the outside of my (somewhat baggy) jeans but with the liner out they fit fine over jeans. With the liner in and the adjusters pulled all the way tight they still fit pretty well and holy poo poo do they ever seem warm. With the liner and a pair of longjohns underneath I think I could ride in pretty much any reasonable condition.

But, my one concern about the jacket was justified :(. The Rainer is a 3/4 length jacket and it kinda bunches up when I get it a position like I'd be on the bike. I need to get everything on and trounce through the snow to the garage and give it a sit on the bike, but I don't know if it will work because the forward lean will shove everything up towards my neck. I probably should have gotten the Teton jacket instead, and will likely send the Rainer back to exchange it. It a little bit more expensive but still on closeout so it's still reasonable. It doesn't have the huge amount of pockets the Rainer does but if it's more comfortable it'd be worth it.

All in all though, both pieces of gear look to be well made and hopefully will last a long time. I can't believe that fabric, being that flexible, provides the kind of abrasion resistance they claim apparently it does.

needknees fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 12, 2009

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Uthor posted:

Does the jacket have one of those zippers that you can unzip from the bottom? I always unzip the bottom inch or two on my 3/4 length jacket so it sits more comfortably on me.

The jacket does have those side zips and while they did help, it still bunched up a bit :(. I guess I should have known a 3/4 length jacket and a sportbike wouldn't mix. I did go and try it sitting on the bike and instead of pushing up all they way and putting pressure on my neck it bunched up around my waist/gut instead. I don't think it would really hinder anything, especially with the liner out. I tried it with the liner in and that provides a fair amount of bulk and limits flexibility.

It's not THAT bad, and I'm sure when the jacket breaks in a little bit it would be more comfortable. But, it'd be eve more comfortable if the front was 3" shorter or so. I do really like the coverage in the back that it provides though. I would always get a bit of air coming through the back of my leathers before, which was pretty annoying when it was cold (but kind of welcome when it was hot...).

infraboy posted:

Are Arai helmets worth the money? Someone from my MSF class LOVED hers in terms of comfort. I've been considering one if I get another bike sometime.

I would say the general consensus is yes, they're worth the money. I currently have a HJC and will be upgrading in the spring. I've tried on a couple Arai and Shoei helmets and they just seemed better built than the HJC. ...for the money, they should. The big advantage to Arai is they have a number of different shells so you can tailor the fit to your head's shape.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I am a huge dork.

My super cheap (previously expensive) leathers from newenough showed up today! And... they actually fit pretty drat well. This is the first set of one piece leathers I've had but honestly they fit drat near perfect. Fairly tight through the legs and shoulders, a bit big in the forearm area and chest but not too bad. I walked through the snow out to the garage to see how it fit on the bike... then everything made sense. The stomach area bunched up a tiny bit and the femur length (crotch to knee) is a *little* bit short but I think it will stretch enough to be about right. Thank god for fitting an off the rack size!

you really do feel like a goddamn power ranger wearing these things :parrot:

Edit: they're also really difficult to get on and off. What's recommended for an undersuit?

needknees fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 23, 2009

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Underarmor is the best. The knockoff stuff at walmart or whatever works great, get it so it's tight but not uncomfortably so. You'll also start to learn the particular contortions that it takes to get out of a suit.

Is the walmart stuff you're talking about that Starter Dri-star compression shirts/pants? I saw those online but haven't checked my local store for them yet.

..."Contortions" is a very apt description of what you have to do to get out of those goddamn things. Holy poo poo.

Also, judging by the price and the fact that right after I bought mine they were completely out of my size, I would say they are basically out of them. They have only one size listed, 46US -- if that fits someone and they're looking for a pretty drat good deal on leathers here is a link to them.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/joe_rocket/factory_replica_one_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Yeah, the Dri-Fit/star/whatever stuff is what I'm talking about. It feels kinda like spandex and wicks sweat.

Picked up a set of those and wow, what a difference in ease of entry/exit of the suit. I can't really say about the sweat wicking capabilities of it since it's like 8* outside but it's worth the :10bux:X2 for how the suit just slides over it.

I'm still debating on whether to get that bags-connection monster of a tailbag/saddlebag tihng or get a decent normal tailbag, tankbag, and possibly a nice backpack. I've always disliked wearing backpacks when riding but I've always just used a regular pack, nothing fancy. Anyone have thoughts on this or recommendations on a backpack or tailbags?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Methusulah posted:

http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/alpha_touring_wp_motorcycle_boots.html

Thinking of getting these for the coming riding season (whenever my bike decides to run) Anything particularly uncomfortable about waterproof boots in hot weather? My last pair were more like hi top shoes and vented pretty well. Anybody ever previously or currently owned these? Are they as sharp as they look?

Also the say EU size 44 is about US size 9.5. My last 44 size boots were compared to size 10's (TCX brand). Does A-star run smaller in the US on boots?

Those boots will be fine unless you ride in a desert year round. Euro sizing is kind of a mystery to me. I normally wear size 10.5 or 11US depending on the shoe, and my first pair of motorcycle boots were some Gaerne waterproof touring boots, size 46 euro. They were way way too big :(. My cycling shoes are size 45 and fit perfectly, and the Sidi Vertigos I got not too long ago are size 44 and fit loving great. So... you pretty much need to try them on before you buy.

Tsaven Nava posted:

What were you looking at to start with, what's your budget, how much stuff do you need to haul, and how weather-resistant do you need it to be?

I don't mind spending a bit of cash for quality gear, but obviously cheaper is better if it'll do the job and last a long time :). As for capacity, for the most part I'll just be running to work and back and taking weekend jaunts. I do have a couple longer trips planned for next year (although nothing anywhere NEAR what you did...) and will be camping so I'd like to be able to haul a reasonable amount of stuff. The issue with this is often times I have to run errands at work that require a fair amount of space to haul poo poo. Haven't run into any big issues so far but then again I've not been able to ride for awhile due to the fuckton of snow we've been getting. Hurray for the second snowiest December on record for my city!

For capacity and what appears to be a very well made, sturdy bag I've been drooling over the Bags-Connection Speedpack Wide for awhile. The other issue I'm running into, other than being a masochistic motherfucker who wants to tour on a sportbike, is the tailsection on my CBR1000 is so thin and wide that finding decent saddlebags has become a chore. I had a set of Cortech sport saddle and tail bags that worked well on my Buell but don't work worth a gently caress on the Honda. There's not enough material to hold the bags up -- It didn't matter how I tied them they always flopped towards the middle and were pretty drat close to the tire. The Speedpack will hopefully solve this because it's got an aluminum frame that keeps the bags sturdy.

The only apparent downsides to the Speedpack is it's pretty goddamn huge, which is also a good thing. I think it would be a bit much for normal day to day stuff but on longer rides it would be great.

Regarding backpacks, the two mentioned look pretty snazzy although the hardshell one is a bit... interesting. A buddy of mine recently got an Icon (I know...) Squad II backpack and has been pretty happy with it. http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/backpacks/icon/squad_II_mil_spec_backpack.html . He has been wearing it without the little arm things and says it's quite comfortable with how wide the straps are and with the front closure setup. The helmet carrier would be nice for wandering around off the bike. The Ogio moto no-drag looks promising as well, but doesn't seem to have much capacity. Again with Bags-Connection stuff, but their drypack backpack looks like it would work great and is pretty reasonably priced. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4863

Still haven't figured out what to do about a tankbag :-/

Edit - Holy poo poo sorry about the wall of text.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
More gear I'm going to have to wait months for (motherfucking -17* this morning!) will be on the way soon... Ordered a Suomy Spec1R from speedaddictcycles.com. Very knowledgeable and informative guy to work with!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

kylej posted:

Anyone have experience with speed humps on jackets? I have a nice gift card and was thinking of spoiling myself with a Dainese Santa Monica jacket. All the reviews say the Santa Monica is incredibly comfortable but I wonder if something like that would look ridiculous on a standard and interfere with my backpack.

If you are going to be wearing a pack that would get uncomfortable QUICK. Speed humps look cool but they're not going to accomplish anything unless you're hauling rear end in a full tuck... without a backpack ;)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
YAY! Look what just got dropped off at my office! :parrot:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

kylej posted:

Are Sidi Vertigo boots overkill for someone who has no plans of going to the track and doesn't ride like Rossi on the street?

I got a pair of those in the fall and they're freakin great boots. *This* might be a bit overkill but newenough put the new Vortice on clearance for $330.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
One of my friends is finally looking to get some proper riding gear... he's held off on getting anything more than a jacket and helmet because he's never found something that fit properly. He's probably 6'4"-6'5" and here's the kicker... maybe weighs 150lbs, with extremely long arms. If he was going off alpha sizes he'd be like a small through the torso but double tall with the arms to match. Basically, nothing off the shelf is going to fit right. He's tried on a number of different jackets/suits and never found something he was happy with. Some of the high end BMW stuff came close but the arms were still too short.

From talking to him it doesn't seem like he minds dropping the cash to get something that's properly sized and will offer good protection.

What custom gear manufacturers are there out there? I know you can get Aerostich stuff sized basically however you want. Z3n is always pimping Helimot, although I don't know if they really have more casual type gear. Vanson would be another possibility. This gear would basically be for commuting and "general" riding.

Any other ideas?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

There's also the Pakistani custom guys...Tilt, Spartan, etc, who will make a custom suit for under 500$, usually.

There's also Teiz, who seems to be a newcomer to the custom market, doing the same sort of thing as the Tilt/Spartan guys, but with textiles. Webbike review and ADV rider thread here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/teiz-cross-continent-suit/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433219

I honestly wouldn't buy a helimot suit unless you could go in to get it fitted. Not worth the money if they can't measure you personally. I would check what the local racers in your area use, though, as most areas have at least one custom leather maker who will make motorcycle gear.

That Teiz suit doesn't look too bad!

He's been looking fairly hard for a month or so and not found anything. Realistically he'll end up with a 'stich since that's the most accessible "low cost" option and he's not really looking to do a bunch of trackdays or anything, just wanted some good gear.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Be careful with old leathers. If they haven't been cared for, leather will weaken over time. I'd suggest conditioning and going over them carefully. They can definitely still protect fine, just check them over carefully.

Speaking of conditioning... what exactly should you use on leathers? Just regular old leather conditioner?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

ohwandernearer posted:

That jacket looks dynamite and is exactly what I want. That price tag makes me sad inside :-(.

Some of the REV'IT gear looks similar and is cut slimmer. You're not going to come out much better on the price though...

http://www.revzilla.com/mens-textile-motorcycle-jackets#v2-facets[]=156&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Anybody here got a Kriega backpack?

I've been looking at hiking stores etc. for a decent backpack I can carry a hydration bladder and change of clothes or maybe some camera gear in, but I wasn't really seeing anything that looked the goods until I spied an ad in a magazine for Kriega backpacks, which are purpose designed for motorcyclists, apparently.

I'm looking at this one, which has 25L capacity and is hydration compatible (4L). The reviews on their site certainly seem to suggest this will be a good buy, I just wondered if anyone here had any first hand experience.

I'm also looking for a pack and will be checking them out this weekend. I think I'll probably go with the R35 though, unless it's comically huge.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Only the last 3 quotes are from reviews on the Kriega site. It certainly sounds like comfort shouldn't be a problem. I certainly hope this is the case anyway, as I pulled the trigger two days ago and hopefully the bag will turn up tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you all know what it's like. :)

I forgot to respond after checking them out last weekend. I tried out both the R35 and R25 and I was VERY impressed -- A buddy of mine was getting sized for gear at Aerostich and I went along pretty much just to check these packs out, since apparently there's only two resellers of them in the US and 'stich is one of them. I was mainly interested in the R35... WOW what a pack. I wore it around the store looking like a complete dork for ~20 minutes and I could barely even tell it was on there. The top adjustment straps didn't seem to do much, but when you cinched down the bottom straps most of the weight disappeared off your shoulders and was transferred to the heavily padded hip strap, with the rest (which isn't much) going on your chest. I liked the zipper closure on the R35 better than the R25, but the 25's system would offer more ventilation. Bigass reflective section on the back of the pack, smart compression system, seemed very well built. The 10yr warranty doesn't hurt anything either.

The one thing that did surprise me was the size. For some reason I had the impression the R35 would be a huge cumbersome pack... it was not. In fact it seemed to be about the perfect size. I'd say the R25 is almost a bit small, but it would work just fine for day to day riding or commuting. I wanted something with some fairly serious cargo capacity as I'm planning on a number of weekend trips this year, along with a week long blast through the southwest. I also end up hauling a fair amount of poo poo around on errands for work, and it's way more fun to do that on a bike than take a car... :)

Other than the cost I think they're fanfuckingtastic backpacks. I didn't end up getting one over the weekend but after thinking on it and checking out my other options I ended up ordering it yesterday.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Taelrin posted:

This may be a silly question, but do helmet liners shrink in the cold? I took my brand new Shoei Hornet out snowmobiling that I'd worn once and by the time I was done it was loose. When I bought it it fit perfectly. The temps ranged from about 5 degrees to 30 degrees so could that have caused the looseness? Can I expect it to go back to normal once it warms up or do I get to buy myself another new helmet?

You're going to see the most break-in of the liner in the first few hours of wearing a helmet. It might just be the liner breaking in. I can't see the cold shrinking the liner enough to make a huge difference. You say the helmet fit perfectly when it was brand new... chances are it was too big on you. Ideally a helmet will be almost too tight when it's new then break in to something that's still snug yet comfortable. Depending on the size of the shell you may be able to get new cheek pads / liners a size smaller. It'd definitely be cheaper than buying a totally new lid.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Anyone still have that link to a page where all sorts of various fabrics, mostly motorcycle-oriented fabrics, were tested and rated for abrasion resistance?

I would like to see this as well.

I have to say, after visiting Aerostich last weekend and seeing their "crash rack" I was very surprised, and slightly concerned. Realistically though these suits were the worst of the worst; 'stich will repair any suit they can and if they cannot they'll offer a new one at a discount. These suits are ones that could not be repaired that the owners didn't request be returned... and some of them were pretty drat nasty looking.

The material they use is definitely thicker than what's in my Firstgear Teton jacket and it's a bit freaky to think how it will hold up in the case of a crash. The TGP escape pants I got with the jacket seem to be pretty close to the thickness of the aerostich stuff. Interesting they would use different thicknesses of material on the the pants and jacket. I'm sure they will both be fine but it was a bit eye opening seeing all the ripped through material and a few torn seams on the aerostich stuff.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

redscare posted:

I almost lost a scarf that way too. Learned to tie a knot in it real fast.

Alternative even dorkier (yet more practical) solution -- balaclava!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

redscare posted:

I wear a terrorist mask when its cold but it doesn't do much for the neck. Some outfits sell bike-specific ones that go down to the clavicle, going to get one of those next fall since the cold season is going to end soon.

Yeah I have looked at the more motorcycle specific ones but haven't ponied up for one yet. I want to say the one I have is made by LavaWool or something -- nice and thin, fits under a helmet just fine. Even better than the warmth it provides is the extra fogging protection you get from having something covering your nose and mouth. Mine doesn't come down really far but it does go down enough that with my jacket all the way buttoned up I can tuck it in and it more or less stays put. The bike specific ones look like they give you a hell of a lot more coverage on the neck though.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

-Inu- posted:

Balaclavas are loving awesome for keeping the cold air out of your helmet/off your neck. The antifreeze one I have is a nice heavy duty fabric that also keeps moisture out. Warm as gently caress. I won't wear a balaclava unless its below like 30 though. Despite being amazing functionally, I always feel like a complete idiot wearing them and drat if they don't give me some helmet hair.

That one looks awesome... how thick is the part that would fit under your helmet? It looks like the front of it that comes down over your chest is thicker, which is good. But with that new Suomy helmet I got I don't have a hell of a lot of room to spare. My super thin lavawool balaclava barely fits inside.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
What heated gear did you end up going with? Liner and gloves? I'll probably end up picking something up over the summer if it ever goes on sale for some reason... at this rate I won't have to worry about riding in cool/cold weather till the fall because we keep getting loving snow every single goddamn week. It's insane. I'm not going to be able to get out of my drive until late June if this poo poo keeps up.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

If you want something a but more built, I've been able to find last year's GP Pluses on closeout sometimes for really cheap.

Speaking of which:

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/alpinestars/gp_plus_motorcycle_gloves.html

I've got a pair of older GP Plus gloves and they've served me well. They're fine for the temp range you're describing but don't expect them to be comfortable in the cold. I've found my lower limit with them to be around 45 degrees or so for a short ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Skier posted:

My Roadcrafter came back from Aerostich's cleaning, inspection and waterproofing service. I also had them do some repairs on their suggestion, such as new velcro in places and replacing some zipper sliders.

The damned thing looks, feels and smells like a new suit. :flashfap:

If I would have had the chance to try on a Roadcrafter before buying my other textile gear I probably would have one right now :). Even though my experience up there wasn't the greatest (although, it seems we hit them on an off day... none of the employees I talked with up there rode and a couple of them didn't really even understand their suits :downs: ) you can definitely tell they make a quality product. What shocked me the most about the Roadcrafter was how goddamn easy it was to get on and off. My Firstgear Escape pants are a huge PITA in comparison. When my current crop of gear wears out I'll be seriously considering a 'stich.

In other gear news, the rest of my trackday stuff came the other day. Picked up a Knox Contour back protector and the chest guard to go with it. I ended up getting the "race" version that has added tailbone protection and I'm kinda on the fence about it. Yes, it'll be perfectly fine on the track or if I go out for a fun ride wearing full leathers, but the thing is so goddamn long that it sticks out the bottom of my normal jacket. Honestly I could see myself wearing the other version without the tailbone protection most of the time, but the one I got just isn't reasonable for that.

Regardless, construction, fit, and feel of the Knox stuff is great. The back protector has outstanding coverage and even sits over your shoulder blades. The chest protector really wraps around your ribs too. The back protector fits great under my suit, but it gets a bit tight when I try to cram the chest guard in there too. I'm sure it'll break in though, considering I haven't even been able to ride since I got these leathers :(.

Wearing both of these makes you feel a little silly but I'm sure I'd want them on in a wreck. Being suited up with all this crap definitely give you a sense of security.