Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Mentioned this in the other thread we had a bit ago about gear, might as well repost it. I have a 2pc Alpinestars suit I am trying to sell if anyone is interested. Jacket is 42US/52EU, pants are 34US/50EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Also, how stupid is it to purchase without having tried that exact suit? I know my size from trying on stuff from a local shop, but I'm not sure how universal I can assume that size is.

Pretty stupid. The suit I'm trying to sell above, I bought without trying on and it ended up being about 1 size too big for both the pants and jacket.

Sizes will vary according to the brand. Different brands have different "cuts" to them

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

ChiliMac posted:

Anything negative to be heard of AGV?

Some people don't like them but one of my best riding friends swears by them. He has an AGV Sport Podium 1pc that has held up very well.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Plexus is gods gift to plastics. It's known to even make scratches disappear.

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize it was that good. Would you guys say its even better than the Honda cleaner/polish?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I've heard Target sells something that's similar (but not the Under Armor brand) and it's a fair bit cheaper. Under Armor gets kind of expensive at $25 for a short-sleeved top.

They do as well as Walmart. I have a couple of the Walmart version of the UA Loose Gear and its exactly the same as US only half the price, if even that.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Alright well since I'm back in northern VA, I figured I would post this stuff up again. I have an Alpinestars 2pc leather suit I'm trying to sell.

Jacket is 42US/52EU and the pants are 34US/50EU. If you're interested my AIM Sn is in my profile

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Kruzen posted:

Anyone have some comments on the Aerostich Roadcraft 1 pc?

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Roadcrafter-One-Piece-Suit-p-16133.html

From the reviews and other reccomendations from people it sounds like it even beats leathers for daily riding and safety.

Quite a few of my riding friends own them and they never shut up about how amazing it is.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
If you guys had about $800 to spend on a 1pc leather suit, what would you go with?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

shoafer0 posted:

Sure will do. Honestly, I'm kinda nervous about the solid leather gloves for all year round. So I'm really not sure what to expect.

The only times I've had a problem with my solid leather gloves was in the dead of winter, when I probably shouldn't have been riding anyways. Really, if it gets that cold you can probably just put on a smaller pair of regular cotton or wool gloves to keep your hands warm inside the leather gloves.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

shoafer0 posted:

Honestly I'm just worried about the summer, or is this a non issue?

Do you normally have sweaty hands? I've ridden through some godawful hot days both here in Virginia and in SC and haven't had a problem. Palms get a little sweaty but once you take the gloves off they dry out.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Mapless posted:

Is anyone interested in a pair of Sidi Vertebra Aire boots in sz44?

They're quite well worn but still a good set of boots for someone on a budget.

It's garage cleaning time again I think.

Not sure if the 44 is too big or not, what size in regular shoes are you?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Mapless posted:

You know that MotoGP and Berik are one and the same, right?

Do you know anything about this Berik company? I see that they put their name on one of the MotoGP suits but I don't think I've seen any stores in the US carry their other stuff nor have I heard anyone ever talk about them

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Oops. How did this get on me

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Blaise posted:

That's a fantastic suit... 'roo leather? :D

Thanks, and I wish it was kangaroo but unfortunately the Kangaroo Titanium is like $1300. I like it a lot though, fits a thousand times better than my Alpinestars 2pc did.

edit// Suit looks funny with my old sport-touring Alpinestars GPS3 boots. Thats the next upgrade. I'm thinking Oxtars

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 24, 2007

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Braincloud posted:

I'm looking for a tail bag for my 06 GSXR 750 for the trip to Laguna Seca this year. I've been heavily eying these:

Nelson-Rigg CL150

Anyone know anything about them? Have any other suggestions? This is going to be a two week trip, and, though I'm packing very light, I'd like to keep as much stuff out of my tank bag and in the tail bag as possible. this one seems to have a lot of room.

I have the smaller version of that. Works somewhat well, although I think it was designed assuming you would still have some sort of massive plastic undertail to attach the bag to. I ended up just having to use some extra bungee cords to get it down tight

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

ReducedFat posted:

Anyone have like, an opinion on the gear I listed?

The helmet is really nice although I am admittedly a Shoei fanboy. Have you tried one on to make sure it fits right?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Are Sidi boots considered the top of the line? Boots are probably the next thing I need to upgrade. Not really sure whether I want to look into Sidi, Alpinestars or Oxtar

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
I only started to think a bit more seriously about upgrading from my old Alpinestars GPS3s after seeing a local guy have his right foot smashed all to poo poo in a freak accident. He was wearing seemingly nice Teknic boots but I guess they didn't help much.

On the grand scale of things, this is how I imagine the comparison goes:
Alpinestars Supertech - Sidi Vertigo Corsa
SMX Plus - regular Vertigo - Oxtar TCS Evo RX
SMX-R - B-2

I'm sortof leaning towards the Oxtar TCS Evo RX replica, problem is that no where on loving earth apparently carries the drat thing so there isn't any "trying it on"

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Cuchulainn posted:

Depends on what country you're in. Oxtars and Sidis are more popular in Europe than in the US, but they're all very good. I've owned Oxtar and Alpinestars (and worn and tried on basically everything else), but give Alpinestars the edge.

What models from those brands have you worn? I liked how the SMX-R felt when I tried them on. That inner sock thing they have really felt like it would keep my ankle from snapping like a twig if I flew off

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

abunchofnumbers posted:

Also, are you able to wear racing boots like normal shoes? Such as ride to school, walk to class, sit down and wear them for 3 hours, ride home etc or does that totally kill your feet?

You probably wouldn't want to walk around in the more hardcore models like the Alpinestars Supertech or Sidi Vertigo Corsa. Racing boots tend to be incredibly stiff and are designed to lock your ankle into a certain position. Try on a pair at a store and see how well you can walk around in them

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Question for the guys that have back protectors separate from a jacket: do you only wear it when you're on the track/up in the mountains or do you wear it everyday?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Are they particularly noticeable when you wear it? Can you pretty much not curl your back? I haven't ever tried one on so I really have no idea how comfortable or not comfortable they are

edit// Also, brands to stay away from?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

that pad is essentially their stand-alone back protector without straps. it's not as good as a stand-alone because the armor will move around with your jacket, which probably doesn't have a tight fit, but it's better than the EVA foam that came with it.

Doesn't look like it goes as far down your spine as many of the other stand-alone protectors do. They pretty well get to the small of your back if not the top of your rear end

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Trintintin posted:

This may be off topic, but how in the hell do you upshift in sandals. I've ridden in tennis shoes before and shifting was loving horrible after using riding boots only.

Toes of Steel

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Fuuuuck. I can't decide on either Oxtar TCS Replicas or shell out another $100 for Alpinestars SMX Plus

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Fantastipotamus posted:

And a MotoGP Corkscrew jacket in blue (matches my helmet :gay:) for $125.

Nice, I snagged a MotoGP TT leather jacket the other day. Call me a brand whore but I'll be damned if this stuff isn't really good gear for a great price.

Also, don't look at my seemingly brand new knee pucks that are in fact 7 months old.

Still trying to decide what boots to get next. I was given $150 in Visa gift cards for my birthday, so that bumped my price range up to $300, maybe a little more. So now the options as best I see are Alpinestars SMX Plus, Sidi Vertigo or Vertigo Air, and the Oxtar TCS Replicas.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Tactical Bonnet posted:

So I'm in the market for a new helmet, are there any brands I should steer clear of? How much should I look to spend on a decent mid-range full face helmet?

NewEnough, Parts411 and SportbikeTrackGear generally have good prices on helmets. You're going to need to find what fits you first though

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Finally got around to picking up some boots. Got a pretty good deal from CG on Alpinestars SMX Plus for $220. Looks like I only have my helmet to upgrade before I'm happy and no longer need to look at moto gear.

Are they're any "smaller" companies that fit the same as Shoei?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

swanage posted:

I've driven by their place before but never stopped in I think I will go check them out some time.

I'm mildly local to them as well (Northern VA) so I ordered my 1pc MotoGP suit from them. Really cool guys. They helped me a ton with getting the sizing right. Very prompt service as well.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

Went to a Cycle Gear store and tried on some helmets and jackets. I have a helmet on hold, but I still will try on more when I go back Saturday because I got there an hour before close and didn't want to hold them up. I really liked this Alpinestar jacket and it fit really well, so I'll be picking it up this weekend. They are having 10% off all gear and 20% off of helmets. The guy was nice enough to put it on a long hold. Really good store and helpful staff.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=74&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=ASR_331-104-12-XS_G&tier2=24

Let us know how that jacket works out. I was thinking about getting it for a friend of mine and CG is the only store that carries it.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Do they make good reinforced jeans for girls?

edit// well, really, I'm just trying to find any sort of female riding pants. I have no idea what is good and what is not when it comes to women's apparel

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 10, 2008

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

teknicolor posted:

These aren't jeans though :v:

p.s. these are for real on my list of poo poo to get

e: newenough.com has a pretty good ladies' section. I shop there for most of my stuff.

Haha I'm not sure she needs Dainese track pants quite yet

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

teknicolor posted:

What conditions will she be riding in? Commuting? Rain? Hot weather?

Riding on the back of my bike for short trips of < 4 hours and in mainly hot weather.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Is a Shoei X11 that much better than an RF1000? It looks like I can get a light silver X11 for about $411 + tax or a light silver RF1k for about $278 + tax. I know the X11 is supposedly a little lighter weight and has better ventilation but is that stuff even all that noticeable?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Z3n posted:

IMO, it's worth it if it fits you better. Otherwise it's not.

I tried on a L and XL of both. Both XLs were way too big, too much flopping side to side and up and down. Both Ls fit snuggly. I think the RF1k probably fit "better" than the X11 but it was by so small a margin that it would be negligible.

bung posted:

$411 is a great price for an X11.

My local Cycle Gear is having a Halloween sale Oct 25. 20% off all helmets, and because I'm all :hfive: with the manager and every employee there, they gave me one of those 5% cards which I can stack on top of the Halloween sale.

Twenty-Seven posted:

I've owned both. The extra ventilation on the X11 is definitely noticeable, but the difference isn't HUGE. Still, I switched from the RF1000 to the X11 in the middle of this summer, and I certainly appreciated it. As bung mentioned though, the X11 is LOUD.

The biggest thing for me though, is that the stupid RF1000s padding isn't fully stupid removable for some stupid reason, only the cheek pads are replaceable. You'll get a longer life out of an X11 just from being able to replace all the pads every year or two.

Oh drat, I didn't realize you could only replace the cheek pads in the RF versus all of the pads in the X11. Hmm, gently caress, that doesn't help the decision making process any.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Whelp ended up going for a light silver metallic Shoei RF1000. Out the door it was $296 so I am very pleased. I think the only piece of gear I am missing now is a nice spine protector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Orange Someone posted:

That makes sense. When I checked my kit when I got home the first time, I found it was all swedish. Jacket is Jofama and the trousers are Halvassons. All that fish and snow must make them crazy swedish a lot skinnier than you americans.

Only problem with buying the European stuff is the sizing. My jacket is a 52, and I don't know what 52 it is, it's not inches (I'm not that huge), it's not centimetres (that would be tiny), it's just Euro-crazy. Might be something similar to Euro shoe sizes, the scale doesn't actually mean anything, it's just a scale.

I had the same problem as you. I'm not as tall and slim as you (only 5'10 and 165lbs) but I have a pretty small waist and broad shoulders so every jacket from US-based companies I tried on ending up fitting like a loving dress. I started checking out European-based companies and sure enough, they would fit perfectly. I ended up going with a MotoGP 1pc suit that while not fitting like a second skin like a custom tailored suit would, it fits a whole hell of a lot better than anything else I've tried

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2008