Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Blooot posted:

Hey dudes, I'm looking for some recommendations here. I just started a new job at a motorcycle company and thus am going to be riding motorcycles. My commute is super short, so I go by bicycle or car, and once I learn how to work one of these things, I intend to do all of my riding for pleasure and get to the track ASAP.

My conclusion is that I should get a real leather suit if I intend to go to the track. Am I going to be bummed learning how to ride in one of these? And as an extension of this, 1 or 2 pc?

I've been watching CL for cheap race used 1/2 pc race suits, but am also in need of everything else. Ideally inexpensive as my new job also doesn't pay as well as my old one (start up!). New boots/gloves would be good as used foot/handwear is gross. Saw these http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/gloves/cortech_by_tour_master/injector_motorcycle_gloves.html in this thread and have them in my cart pending word they are suitable for the track. Track OK boots look to be pretty pricey -- $200 seems to be as little as I can find them for.

On helmets, am I dumb to use my OMP SA2000 auto racing helmet? The view port is quite a bit smaller than motorbike ones, but it doesn't block my peripheral. I suppose it wouldn't be technically street legal, but would it also be no good for track work? How far into lapping/racing do you need to get before you need a motorcycle Snell rated helmet? Should I just risk $120 and order one of those deeply discounted Shark helmets?

I haven't tracked a bike, but I like wearing my two-piece. It lets you take off the jacket when you get somewhere, or even if you're taking a short break from riding.

I'd buy a motorcycle helmet. They're designed to protect different things than a car helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

RichBomb posted:

Any recommendations on waterproof touring pants? I'd prefer to avoid overpants, the dork factor is just too excruciating. I have an Olympia AST jacket which I like except for some of the stitching, are the Ranger pants any good?

The Ranger II pants are overpants, though you don't need to wear them as such.

I like 'em. Go well with the AST. Very warm and waterproof. Nice feature in the crotch where there's a flap sewn in behind the zipper which keeps water out of there, too. However, they are almost too warm to wear in the summer. Definitely too warm over jeans. There is no ventilation at all in the pants. I wish there were some pockets like in the jacket or a removable panel or even having zippers that would unzip from the top and the bottom. Anything to get some more air flowing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Olympia seems to have gear that would fit you:
http://www.olympiamotosports.com/home.htm

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I accidentally signed up for NewEnough's newsletter and they sent me a 10% off coupon. Valid through Sept 22nd. Who wants it? E-mail me at turkosza [at] gmail. First to e-mail gets it. Gone now.

Also, they have three tank bags for $17 right now. Look small, but that's good for people with tank mounted gauges. If I didn't already have a small bag that I like, I'd jump on this.
http://www.newenough.com/parts/closeouts/luggage/rapid_transit/s4_tank_bag.html

Uthor fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 2, 2010

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

JP Money posted:

That's awesome. I think in that case I would have insisted on sending them back just on principle alone, that guy deserves to make all the money he possibly can if he's that awesome about customer service.

They accidentally sent me a motorcycle cover one time (how or why that got shipped to me is beyond me). New Enough is so awesome that I didn't mind sending it back to them. I think they even threw in :10bux: when I told them about the error.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SlightlyMadman posted:

A messenger bag would work better, since they tend to rest lower on the back.

The few times I've taken my messenger bag instead of back pack on my bike, I've had a pain in my shoulder within a mile. Not sure if it's the bag or the way I wear it or what.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AncientTV posted:

Depending on the size of garment under the motorcycle pants, you can typically order a size or two larger (for example, I wear skinny jeans, and ordering one size up is enough) in normal riding pants to use them as overpants.

I generally think of "overpants" as pants that have some sort of opening in the legs to make getting on or off easier.

Like this:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If anyone needs a new jacket, you can now get Akira's. Or Kaneda's. Or something. I don't think I've ever seen Akira all the way through...
http://io9.com/5848721/for-900-you-can-rock-kanedas-jacket-from-akira

Only $900. Not sure how protective the sleeves will be, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

28_days posted:

QUESTION: I've stopped in two different shops. For some reason as soon as I mention that I'll be starting on a 250, their gear recommendations changes from some of the more high-end items, to middle of the road (still very nice) gear. Is there a reason for this? Both said something to the equivalent of "Oh, well in that case (a 250) you don't need to be looking at X, Y will be just fine".

Am I missing something? I realize that low-end riding is not the same thing as attending track days, but it's still inherently dangerous. Is there a reason that I'm getting pointed AWAY from higher end gear?

They probably think you're cheap if you're getting a small bike, so they're directing you toward cheap gear. In fact, the distance from your head to the ground is the same no matter how fast you're going. Speed just matters for abrasion resistance. Get what you can afford. That said, higher end gear costs more because it's more comfortable, not be cause its safer (generally). Make sure it meets minimum safety standards first before looking at further features and higher costs.