Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Asking for advice on defrauding the government (whether it's common practice or not) is probably a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Oh right. thanks for that legal tip lol

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

lmbo calrissian posted:

SGV is where I live Royal Nonesuch yes! Dude I would totally love to hear about this shop, since I'm so close to Pasadena and I'll need a future mechanic. I don't have PMs but can you get me the info? I appreciate it!

Here you go!. My dad's been taking his cars to Joe for over ten years now, he's a super nice & honest man.

As to the selling price thing, well, what Godholio said. It is super common however. You're in the big boy world of car ownership now so the number you write is up to you :) Also (if I'm understanding you correctly) the private sale price on a car like that doesn't really factor into your insurance rates except in situations like collector cars, etc. You could buy it for $1 but it will still cost the same to repair if you get in an accident. Your insurance rates will be determined by what model of car it is, how old it is, your (lack of) driving history, the region you live in, what levels of insurance you choose to carry, the number of seashells on the beach, the price of beef in Omaha, and any number of other factors and arcane calculations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In some states it doesn't even matter. Nevada bases the tax off the MSRP, regardless of age. Other states use the number you write.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a good resource for "I like $car what else might I like in the same market space?" I didn't see it in the OPs.

Alternatively, I'm looking at the Hyundai Veloster and Toyota 86. I want to be in that 20-23k spot for a smallish car that sits low and has both bells and whistles. I no longer really care about it being a manual, unfortunately.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 24, 2017

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Sweet thanks bro! I'm def bookmarking him

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Also (if I'm understanding you correctly) the private sale price on a car like that doesn't really factor into your insurance rates except in situations like collector cars, etc. You could buy it for $1 but it will still cost the same to repair if you get in an accident. Your insurance rates will be determined by what model of car it is, how old it is, your (lack of) driving history, the region you live in, what levels of insurance you choose to carry, the number of seashells on the beach, the price of beef in Omaha, and any number of other factors and arcane calculations.

Really? Is that true in California? Well I'll just be safe and put a middle ground sale price/ I'll just be safe to say rates will be through the roof for me cause I'm new. Dude thanks again. <3

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

lmbo calrissian posted:

Really? Is that true in California? Well I'll just be safe and put a middle ground sale price/ I'll just be safe to say rates will be through the roof for me cause I'm new. Dude thanks again. <3

Insurance won't care how much you paid for the car, but the amount of tax you pay when you first register the car in your name will depend on it. I'm in California.

This conversation should be in the questions thread, not in the reference thread, I think.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

lmbo calrissian posted:

Think of it this way: your wealthy parents give you a brand new car for your birthday, but you are paying the insurance. You got the car for free, do you think your insurance company will charge you less because of that? Nope, it will still cost them the same $$$$ when you mash it into someone while texting.

Raluek posted:

This conversation should be in the questions thread, not in the reference thread, I think.

This is also true. We love answering car questions, so feel free to ask more in the appropriate thread!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lmbo calrissian posted:

Really? Is that true in California? Well I'll just REDACTED. Dude thanks again. <3

I would not have posted this on the internet. I mean sure, it's not like California is going to try to find this kind of poo poo online, but you really don't need to post your intentions to do this.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

signalnoise posted:

Is there a good resource for "I like $car what else might I like in the same market space?" I didn't see it in the OPs.

Alternatively, I'm looking at the Hyundai Veloster and Toyota 86. I want to be in that 20-23k spot for a smallish car that sits low and has both bells and whistles. I no longer really care about it being a manual, unfortunately.

The recommend me a car thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thank you!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

signalnoise posted:

You can get an rspec Veloster for $18k now if available. Seems 17s aren't out in us yet. It takes a bit of money to handle well but a tune with an exhaust are seeing 230whp. The dct has a lot of complaints so definitely get a manual. Auto I'd go GTI which are around $23-25k now with pricing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Please tell me if this is a stupid goal or not: getting cheap steelies and some moderately aggressive all terrain tires for my Outback, with no changes to suspension/geometry.

I recently went up to the mountains and hills outside Vegas, terrain was dry travel and rock; felt like risking my commuter tires to sharp rocks wasn't worth it, but the outback felt perfectly capable of tackling the easier trails. I'm not trying to rock crawl or do a Baja run, I just want something that can be more sure footed off-road without sacrificing my road comfort.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Does anyone have any good resources for obscure electrical connectors in cars? I mean ones like the ones that go between wiring harnesses and not the pigtails that go to sensors and such.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kid sinister posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for obscure electrical connectors in cars? I mean ones like the ones that go between wiring harnesses and not the pigtails that go to sensors and such.

You might try PMing Kastein or post in the stupid questions thread. Or chat thread.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I really need to getting a proper harness in my Outback for my stereo. The dude on ae86 whatever doesn't reply anymore to emails.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

years ago someone made a thread about resurrecting a Yugo. where is it?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ohio State BOOniversity posted:

years ago someone made a thread about resurrecting a Yugo. where is it?

It went

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a tool for painting to see the colour on the car before you make a 5k mistake?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Speed shapes

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there a good source for replicas of antique hood ornaments? A friend of mine is really into this Buick number from the '30s, and I'd like to get him one.

The originals go for way more than I'm willing to spend, and he'll care more about build quality than provenance anyway.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Is there a resource that keeps track of past holiday sales? Basically, I'm trying to find out if Subaru or Hyundai are likely to do anything big within the next couple of weeks. Googling isn't turning up anything useful.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I only just got my licence this past year, and with the fervor of someone who's found religion late in life I've discovered I actually rather enjoy cars!

This is all fine and good but I find myself pretty quickly out of my depth when talking with my friends who restore old 2002s or race Miatas, because I don't actually know that much about cars themselves. Most of what I know fell out of taking stick shift lessons, but even that doesn't get me very far. What the hell is a limited slip differential? Why does displacement matter? What the heck can I reasonably be expected to be able to wrench on myself?

Given all this, can yall recommend your favourite book to get me started? Last time I was home I read my stepmom's old Car Talk Q&A book, which was maybe a bit too light on details.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Is there a tool for painting to see the colour on the car before you make a 5k mistake?

https://www.3dtuning.com has 3D models that you can put custom colors on (and different body kits). Has a ton of common models.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

I only just got my licence this past year, and with the fervor of someone who's found religion late in life I've discovered I actually rather enjoy cars!

This is all fine and good but I find myself pretty quickly out of my depth when talking with my friends who restore old 2002s or race Miatas, because I don't actually know that much about cars themselves. Most of what I know fell out of taking stick shift lessons, but even that doesn't get me very far. What the hell is a limited slip differential? Why does displacement matter? What the heck can I reasonably be expected to be able to wrench on myself?

Given all this, can yall recommend your favourite book to get me started? Last time I was home I read my stepmom's old Car Talk Q&A book, which was maybe a bit too light on details.

Start reading car forums (none are as good as here). Be young and fresh, and enter the VW Vortex.

Also, for cars are lego until they aren't watch South Main Auto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfHZmCDMYcw

Ask stupid question in the stupid question thread and get decent answers.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Thanks. A GTI is at the top of my purchase list so the VW Vortex sounds like a good place to lurk anyway.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dijkstracula posted:

Thanks. A GTI is at the top of my purchase list so the VW Vortex sounds like a good place to lurk anyway.

VWVortex is frightful. If you have model specific questions we have some very knowledgeable VW guys here.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 10, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I dunno where else to put this, but half of us probably own HF jackstands. Check those model numbers, half a million stands are being recalled because they don't sufficiently engage the pawl.

I own two pairs of these.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh snap. I have unboxed but old pair that didn't match the first recall but might match the new recall I wasn't aware of, so that's at least one person very happy you brought this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Godholio posted:

I dunno where else to put this, but half of us probably own HF jackstands. Check those model numbers, half a million stands are being recalled because they don't sufficiently engage the pawl.

I own two pairs of these.

The jack stands that they replaced the recalled stands with, have also been recalled: https://www.motortrend.com/news/harbor-freight-jack-stand-recall-safety-tips/