Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Hi guys, I really need a lot of help buying a car for the first time, used. As in, I'm ready to cry cause I don't know the first thing.

I read the #9 used car shopping section in the first post, but I don't even know what anything said means. Long story short I don't know the first thing about cars, I barely learned to drive (no one I can practice with, very unconfident of the safety of me driving alone), and I also don't have any friends or any family members who can help me at all. I don't know what the diff drive gears do. I've never been more stressed about having to do something, besides getting my license itself this September. It feels fuckin awful

I did ask some online friends who know a lot, I'll cite their tips and the trouble I'm having as well as my own criteria:

1. I live in SoCal, in the valley a little east of East Los Angeles.
2. I prefer a small car, but I'm now willing for anything. Friend says buying used SUVs is a good deal cause no one buys them here- I don't want one for many reasons but I'm willing
3. My budget is $6000 (my first car, I'm extremely inexperienced and will get in accidents)
4. Looking for no older than 2002-03.. Hoping less than 170,000 miles (b/c I'm aiming for Japanese car, they say mileage matters little to nothing?)
5. My daily commute to work is 13 miles each way. Never drove there myself tho. Also, I can't drive on the freeway, until I've practiced more.

I know that I don't have to worry about knowing that much myself, that the safest is to take it to a pro mechanic when I test drive it.

[list]-What else good first-car models are there to look for, besides Civic, Accord, and Corolla, that are common enough to have 1) inexpensive replacement parts 2) problems that are known like clockwork so they can easily spot them for me?

-So I need to see the title and ask for maintenance records. I know carfax verifies the meter readings and different ownerships. Do I ask them "do you have the carfax?" Do I need to buy a Carfax account? I need the VIN right, do I run the check on the spot when I'm there? What else I need to ask to see?

-I'll be going to random places for prospective buys. How do I know how to find a trusted mechanic? Do I google or just look for one? How much would they usually charge for an inspection like this?

-I'm quite uneasy about not knowing anything. Can I read anything with simple lessons? Automotive for dummies? I can't get any hands on learning. Should I take auto classes?

-What is a dealbreaker? Should I absolutely not go for any that's been in an accident? If I can accept very minor ones, what is the threshold of a minor accident?

That's just what I can think of off the top. I'll take a printout of the criteria from the first post here with me to any car I check out. If anyone can give me a walkthrough, any advice, I'm extremely desperate for any. If there were resources for this posted, sorry. Thank you. Plz help

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Thank you

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
2 weeks later- Hey guys thanks so much I decided to just be ballsy and proactive and safe and I trusted my gut bigtime on this private seller who happened to keep a super well-maintained 05 Civic with 145k miles for $5k, with Carfax with every service on it. Luckily owned by a body shop owner and a carhead. Everything part needing replacement was done pretty drat recent ago and fluids freshly changed, even the scratches on both bumpers removed and repainted before he sold me it. Everything looked solid from a mechanic's full inspection, I honestly got way lucky/I deserved it. I appreciate it you guys :)

he payed for smog and literally freshly renewed registration stickers

As for what my friend said about used SUVs, he ain't dumb he used to be a car flipper, but I don't know just what he meant. Maybe he thought that initial saving was really important to me. He was suggesting me way ugly stuff like a Nissan cube, toyota matrix, a '99 outback... I'm choking

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

-If by Valley-East-of-Los-Angeles you mean SGV, I know a good honest mechanic/shop in the Pasadena area who won't do you wrong.

SGV is where I live Royal Nonesuch yes! Dude I would totally love to hear about this shop, since I'm so close to Pasadena and I'll need a future mechanic. I don't have PMs but can you get me the info? I appreciate it!

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Oh I forgot. Can I ask here advice on how to judge what to put on the DMV form for Selling Price? It was $4950... I'm not sure what insurance I'll get yet (I'll do it tomorrow) but I do have to tell my seller what I'm putting because he needs to put the same price on his form.

He said there's ups and downs to putting it higher or lower, but I want lower cause I want to pay less. Like, low $2000s range or less.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Oh right. thanks for that legal tip lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Sweet thanks bro! I'm def bookmarking him

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Also (if I'm understanding you correctly) the private sale price on a car like that doesn't really factor into your insurance rates except in situations like collector cars, etc. You could buy it for $1 but it will still cost the same to repair if you get in an accident. Your insurance rates will be determined by what model of car it is, how old it is, your (lack of) driving history, the region you live in, what levels of insurance you choose to carry, the number of seashells on the beach, the price of beef in Omaha, and any number of other factors and arcane calculations.

Really? Is that true in California? Well I'll just be safe and put a middle ground sale price/ I'll just be safe to say rates will be through the roof for me cause I'm new. Dude thanks again. <3