Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

melon cat posted:

The winter tires have rims, so I'm just trying to dismount the winter tires from the wheel and mount the summer tires on.

Thanks for the resources, so far!

So you have summer tires that aren't mounted.

This is a no-go if you need to ask, because even if you used tire irons to break them down and mount them on the wheels, you still need a balancing machine to make it right. By which I mean, if you have to ask you obviously don't have this equipment and it likely costs as much as your car to acquire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

melon cat posted:

Sorry- I wasn't being as clear as I could've been in my previous post. My winter tires have rims, and the summer tires sitting in my garage also have rims of their own. I figured that it should be an easy off-and-on job- am I correct in assuming that this eliminates the need for a balancing machine?

Yes.

And please don't use lingo you don't completely understand. That's why no one was able to figure out what you were talking about.

A wheel is the rim. The tire is the rubber part. Dismounting a tire from a wheel means removing the tire from the rim, which requires a tire machine (and a balance after you've put a new on on).

Your question, as I understand it now, was quite well answered by Boaz MacPhereson.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lampey posted:

Is there any better resource for finding mechanics besides yelp? Im looking for one in mississauga, dealerships always feel like they are completely unfair.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechanics-files

and

http://www.angieslist.com/auto-repair/

But local references from people you trust is always going to be best.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

How is tirebuyer.com for tires? I would do tirerack but the shipping is insane (130ish for 4 tires) while tirebuyer seems to be much more reasonable (30 for each tire).

You do understand that is only a $10 difference, right?