Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I know this particular thread doesn't see much traffic, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'm looking for literature on how to design and build an engine. I don't mean tune one. I mean from nothing. Right now I have these sitting in my cart, but was wondering if there was anything better.

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Automotive-Engine-Math-Design-Pro-ebook/dp/B00B77AN34/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0262700263/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Krakkles posted:

Are you looking to design your own engine, or build an existing engine type?

Sorry, but it's still rather unclear from what you posted. If you're looking to build up an existing engine type, I'd strongly recommend looking at a variety of books on the specific engines - you'll see different recommendations from different authors, and by looking at all of them, you can usually get a better idea of what works and what doesn't.

If you're designing your own, I must know what it's for!

I apologize, I'm looking to design and engineer a piston engine from scratch. Displacement, cylinder, and configuration is still up in the air but it's going to be a low displacement (~1.0L), high RPM motor. I've been working on the idea on and off for a few years now but finally have an income to make some progress. I'm going to design and build them with the intention of making them project engines for track cars, stupidly dangerous go-karts, or whatever you want to use it for. The goal is to make 'em quickly, reliably, and cheaply.