Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I haven't read that spoiler, but whatever it is, an injury was pretty much inevitable on that boat.

Toucan Sam posted:

Might as well include a funny Keith story

I despise Keith as much as any other right thinking person, but unless I'm missing some important context, he's not the one that comes out badly from that repugnant story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Early seasons of Deadliest Catch had a much lower level of blatant 'reality' scripting. It's fairly tiresome nowadays because they've decided the actual day to day isn't really interesting enough any more.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

It was also because it encouraged the fishermen to behave extremely dangerously.

Like the Northwestern at the end of the first season.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was getting a weirdly obsessive vibe from Elliot during the whole series. I dunno, I could see her being justified in thinking he would do something stupid (he's Elliot).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Crazy Ted posted:

I missed the episode of Deadliest Catch where Elliot visits his kids. What exactly did he do?

And it doesn't surprise me at all that everyone's dumping on him now. gently caress, he's a 27-year-old former cocaine addict with an attitude problem, and he actually got hired to captain a boat?

There was something about the exchange

Elliot: "It's good to be home."
Ex: "This isn't your home."

that made my ears prick up. That and his constant calling her, and jeopardising his how-the-gently caress-did-he-get-that job by just abandoning the crew to fly home mid-season.

Also he's just so obviously a piece of poo poo from what we've seen on the programme and heard about from behind the scenes that I can see him being 'that' ex-boyfriend.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Firing a gun the way he was, on the deck of a ship covered in ice isn't a bit reckless. It's loving stupid. The man shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jake always struck me as a weasely little poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

kefkafloyd posted:

The special had some sensationalist elements (and I thought they made obvious blunders like not mentioning DB Cooper when referring to the 727's airstairs). I also felt they minimized too much the experts at the NTSB who reconstruct plane accidents. Yes, there's only some things you can see when observing a crash as it happens, but we've learned a hell of a lot from after-the-fact analysis.

I don't think they mentioned DB Cooper at all in the UK Channel 4 broadcast. It seemed odd when they used "f*****" in the subtitles but didn't alter the guy saying "hosed" in the audio, but I wasn't really thinking about it being shown anywhere else. And the post-crash analysis seemed fairly informative.

Interesting, I wonder how much is different between the US and UK versions.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Elliot calling himself the big dog and then backing down as soon as his idiocy started to cost him was hilarious.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was inevitable that someone was going to get seriously hurt on the Time Bandit because of that boat's culture of moronic messing about. Allowing, let alone encouraging, employees to be playing with a blowtorch and high power fireworks on a shifting surface should be enough to get their captain's licences revoked.

loving idiots.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I wouldn't be surprised if Elliot has a massive inferiority complex, it's the only thing I can think of to explain his hilarious superiority complex. Also his hosed up relationship. And the grand gesture of jumping straight down the debt toilet to buy his own boat.

Junior seems like a run of the mill dick.

Wild Bill is a stereotype of a bullying father. It's no wonder his son shrugs off getting shouted at for serious mistakes, he's constantly getting bollocked and belittled for nothing in his dad's quest to 'make him a man'.

And yeah, Jake seems to have needlessly burnt bridges and thrown away what was probably a job for life, and a very well paying one at that, in his desire to prove himself. He gets a lot of leeway from me though because it does seem that his life is some sort of waking nightmare.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I honestly think Keith is just genuinely mentally ill.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The ongoing saga of greenhorns being chewed up and spat out on that boat makes so much more sense when you look at it as not just Keith being an unstable prick, but the entire crew being a bunch of abusive shits as well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ToastyPotato posted:

He's probably one of those guys who believes that every deckhand should learn how to do every job on the boat.

He just seems like a classic bully to me.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's something really hollow and sad, and cynical, about two entertainers working together for decades and really not caring for each other beyond their own financial success.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wow, Eliot's even more of a oval office than normal in this episode. And that's saying something for the dangerous, loud-mouthed, junkie shitwit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
How does Elliot have insurance to captain a boat? How?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Keith's a demented shitbag though so he was fine. Besides, if a guy doesn't do sufficient witchcraft to ward off injury then he probably deserves it.

*taps out repetitions of rhythm on the furniture while spinning counter-clockwise in chair and imitating a female tennis player*

*punches cameraman*

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Freddie's a loving idiot.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, goddamn pussy, not giving in to abuse by a gang of thugs who wanted him to radically alter his appearance for no reason other than they are cunts two steps shy of Lord of The Flies.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I find it hilarious that Freddy got fired for the sake of getting drunk in a hotel room. Shitbag.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I believe the captain said "he's in the Pelican room" as he set off for the hotel. Which would line up with that theory.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's a shocker, unchecked dangerous idiocy on the Time Bandit leads to a serious hand injury. Again.

They are really bad at captaining.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't care how tough and rough your job is meant to be, it's insane that the management were fine with someone striking a co-worker in the face, on a dangerous shop floor no less. The Health & Safety Exectuive wouldn't just shut that boat down, they would burn it to the ground and fire the captains into the sun.

What's even more infuriating is that the poor bastard who got his had buggered also seemed to be by far the most rational member of any crew to appear on the programme. Did his job, gave a poo poo about safety, didn't cower to bullying, and kept his head when he was assaulted. I hope he comes back. And I also hope that he doesn't.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 11, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm imagining Keith finally snapping and wearing the cameraman's skin as a onesie for luck, and the crew blaming the gi.... 'female' for causing it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What a mincer. Real men suck it up while telling the camera how tough they are, and how they can't afford to let a bit of pain stop them fishing. And then they have to give up fishing for life because they fished so hard their spine fell off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wild Bill is a nasty piece of work. Keith is a dangerously unstable crazy person, but Bill comes across as a textbook example of a bully.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bill is a oval office.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, his overweening ego basically destroyed his spine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't know. I think that if my GP, let alone a Consultant, told me that if I didn't give up my job my spine would explode I would quit immediately. Maybe I would seek a second opinion. But I absolutely wouldn't continue doing the job in the meantime.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Maybe it's not having been in that position, but I hope to god I would prioritise the long-term good of my family over not going bankrupt. Especially in America where there's no NHS and his sort of condition would basically render him a financial blackhole for his family.

Really though, the vibe I got from him on the programme was simply one of "I'm the best most badarse, I'll man-up and get through it like a man." Which was just irredeemably stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I finally gave up on Deadliest Catch last year. It's just another indistinguishable manufactured drama for wilfully stupid people now. It's a shame because the formula was perfect as it was.

• Locked thread