Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I couldn't loving believe that poo poo. Keith is my least favorite Captain, but man I feel bad for him with his poo poo Greenhorns. Its my belief that a crabber like Jake Anderson is 1 in a million and Sig was smart to make him a full share as quickly as he did.

I love Jake so much, I just wish the dude had more confidence in himself. It's like everything he does is filled with perpetual self doubt (much like Josh). My least favorite season was the season where Jake was on the Kiska Sea because 1. he wasn't on the show very much and 2. everyone the Kiska Sea treated him like poo poo. I'm really glad Elliot is such a gently caress up and is giving Jake a chance to shine, I just hope he makes the most out of it.

I think the kiska sea poo poo on him because from my limited google most crabbers not on the show hate the deadliest catch. I have read that there is even one captain who under bids everyone to get a quota that he can only afford because discover channel picks up the tab.

Also why do the deckhands talk poo poo when they are working if they can be heard by the captain? I never understood that. Like last nights episode and everyone saying the druggie elliot would be better then Jake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

I have never seen a behind the scenes explanation for how the captains can hear everything being said on deck. They make it seem like it is coming over an intercom, and I know that most of, if not all of the decks, do have one, but that is usually in one spot on the deck, and the person has to stand near it to use it. Not sure how people talking poo poo by the launcher are being heard over it. The microphone would have to be permanently transmitting, and also sensitive as hell, and I feel like they would mostly only be hearing wind, water, and mechanical noises at that point, based on my own experiences with various mics and recording in various conditions.

It would make more sense if the crew were wearing mics for production, which is something, again, I don't remember them mentioning BTS. Because then the captain could have an audio monitor just like the producers would (but it wouldn't sound like it does on the show, it would sound crystal clear, unless for some reason they were running the production audio through the radio speakers in the cabin.)

But it seems weird that they never bring that up in their BTS stuff, unless I have missed it.

It has to be a discovery channel thing because it easily sparks drama as we can see.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

It's pretty hilarious that Josh can't even pretend to give a poo poo, must really suck for Casey though working with someone who only wants to be on TV and whose disregard almost maimed him.

That must explain why Jake is able to do a poo poo load more with a boat when it seems like they are on the same level captain experience wise.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Smelly posted:

The fact that everyone was rooting for Josh and trying to help him get that boat back just to watch him not give a poo poo is really depressing.

Only because his father died and his brother is a worthless heroin addict. America loves a sob story.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Jake Harris, not Josh, who tried to bring the flat screen onto the boat. Up to now Josh had been working pretty hard to take over the CM, putting in all that time working on the Time Bandit and such. That being said it was shocking how indifferent the editing made Josh look while Casey was trying to repair the rudder,

I wonder if the CM is the boat that discovery Channel covers part of their bid for quota that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Would make sense.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

I wonder how they got so many of the Breaking Bad people on the show. It's not like they're promoting it. But I suppose they've got nothing better to do.

Probably fans of the show? When you're famous it seems like it's easy to get on these quasi reality shows.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I got a question. Since there is a discovery channel chase boat following all these boats why do they talk like they are in trouble if the boat should sink? Like Jake this episode said "If this tank fills up with water we are getting in a raft". But they aren't because theres a boat following you filming you. Also when Keith went near the russian border. You were not there alone, there was chase boat filming you. I assume they just act like there isn't a boat filming them to not ruin the immersion?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someday he'll find a greenhorn that isn't a drug addict, has two knees, doesn't go into dehydration from seasickness... gently caress, even Captain Rex Ryan over there had a functioning crew this time around.

Him and wild bill both. Wild Bill always gets poo poo greenhorns it seems.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Norwegian Rudo posted:

"If you run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you ran into an rear end in a top hat. If you run into assholes all day, you're the rear end in a top hat." -Raylan Givens, Justified

I know editing is editing but he wasn't that mean to the guy this past Tuesday and over the show and he bitched out. He needs to stop recruiting 19-23 year olds with jack poo poo fishing experience. That woman would have been fine had she had more man strength that Keith got.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I wonder if bill picks up these terrible greenhorns just to stay on the show. I mean besides seeing how bad is his greenhorn going to gently caress up what else does he have going to be on the show? His deckhands are boring and hes just an angry old man most of the time. And hes near the bottom of the pack in amount of crab gathered. It's always north western, time bandit, and the wizard at the top.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Photex posted:

Pretty sure Bill is one of the most respected in the fleet, I know there was an episode where Jon and Andy said Bill has fished almost every fishery on the planet.

Then why are his numbers always low and why does he keep getting lovely greenhorns?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wasn't his lovely greenhorn last year his son?

I don't remember. I thought Zac was his only son? I'd say make sure they have a fishing background but the guy he got the other season had a good fishing background and he bitched out as well. Clearly changing from the death race it used to be that made it the deadliest job in the world has made all new green horns soft.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Photex posted:

because it's a quota system, he goes out and catches what they give him..

Yea I think howe covered it nicely.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's interesting the disparity between the seemingly well-oiled machines that are the Northwestern and Time Bandit and the disorganized messes like Every Other Boat.

I'd like to know how if Discovery has any influence on the hiring/"casting" of some of the lame-assed greenhorns the Wizard, Cape Caution, Saga, etc. get. Wild Bill's son going from John's cheerleader to worst enemy was interesting.

Maybe I'm cynical, but in the world of "reality" shows, it doesn't make it feel very real if they admit on Behind The Catch that "we rig mics on deck and put a receiver in the wheelhouse so the captain has a reason to get visibly pissed".

I still think this is the most real docureality show there is today, but it's clear they're trying to shoehorn garbage in where they can.
I'd change my tune pretty darn quick if someone I tried to help spit in my face and was like "nah gently caress you I'm out"

I think we also have to remember they shoot a poo poo load of hours of footage. I'm sure it's not super hard to find something they can edit to be interesting.

I think time bandit and northwestern do so well because they don't get greenhorns as often lately and the ones they got were pretty good and/or family. Not some random person.

spanky69 posted:

Well when everybody else was finished wasn't Bill headed back out to catch bairdi?

Ya half way through the season he got told his quota was wrong and because of a typo he had less quota.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

RE: Chase Boats

There are only a couple, and most of those external boat shots you see every episode are gathered within a short period of time. It's B-roll, and just shots that they can use as filler and to establish scenes and stuff. They probably have instructions to get B-roll of most of the boats for day time, night time (with rough see variants when possible) and both with ice variants. If they know something interesting maybe happening on a boat, they will send a chase boat their to grab it if possible.

I wonder how much longer Sig's crew is going to keep going. But when you make 112K during one Opie season, that is probably a good enough reason to stay. Also, I am guessing they don't film/show most of the season? Or did NW crew really make over $100k in 2-3 weeks?

They are on the boat for the whole season. And I guess the chase boat thing just confused me because they seem to match it up really well and make it look like the chase boat is there next to them when the scene is going on. Like when they were fixing the crane on the northwestern (i think) I am pretty sure the chase boat was there as they were doing it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

Shark week has been terrible forever, it was just marginally more acceptable when we were 10 years old, had the entire summer off, and literally nothing worth watching was on over the summer.

Ya pretty much this. I think I stopped watching shark week right around high-school or after.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm so glad Discovery is still willing to cover the worst gold mining operation in existence.

With a name like Jack Hoffman how could they not?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

azflyboy posted:

And thus ends the last show on Discovery, TLC, or History where the viewer might actually learn something from watching an episode.

On the plus side, at least Adam and Jamie got to end the show on their own terms, and I'm sure Discovery Communications is thrilled to have one of their flagship programs finish its run without being cancelled due to child molestation.

I learn plenty on shark week :colbert:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Unless you believe in conspiracy theories, History is basically right out. TLC is nothing but reality shows at this point, isn't it? Deadliest Catch might be only Discovery show left that doesn't lead toward pure reality drama, and even that show has slipped in recent years.

It's not even the deadliest job in the world since they changed the rules in the mid 2000's. Still a loving really hard job but hardly as deadly as it used to be.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Someone should do an experiment to measure the brain damage done watching the non-historical portions vs. the knowledge gained from the brief educational segments.

the more chumlee you see the more brain damage you incur.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Why would Adam be the one to drop? He seemed like the most normal one of the two.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Does jack Hoffman still go for the glory hole?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Photex posted:

nah he's getting too old for the glory hole.

The talk soup bit about the show was pretty great.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I like the unspoken narrative that they cut those guys in an attempt to shake up the show/return to its roots/improve ratings, but it didn't work and the show was killed regardless.

Do people hate on them? I always enjoyed there side projects they did. But I also wasn't a hardcore loyal watcher of the show.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, but who on earth watches Mythbusters for the pre-test setup banter?

Probably the same people who watch gold rush for the hope of them making it big.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

It got worse as the years went on. It seemed natural at first.

Ya i vaguely remember them acting really dumb when presenting a new idea. Like it wasn't casual at all.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Deadliest catch coming back soon? I feel like this is when it back on. Aren't one of their fishing seasons from nov-dec or something?

Edit: Nevermind. Looking at my TV app it appears the season comes back in April every year.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gazaar posted:

I'd love to see the pallette of cig cartons they load onto those boats before heading off for a long trip.

Why don't they just vape? Healthier(debatable depending on who you ask I guess) and less overhead.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

I imagine that the deck guys pretty routinely lose cigs to waves or whatnot so having a relatively expensive non-disposable thing in that situation seems like a bad idea.

And their old and probably stuck in their ways. I did see elliot using a vape but that was probably so he could easily smoke pot.

IRQ posted:

Bringing back Josh or Jake or whatever the kid was training to be captain on Northwestern to co-captain with Edgar would be a great narrative point for Discovery on a show that is pretty well circling the drain.

Iirc jake was a bad captain on his dad's boat and not confident in his abilities at all.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
To be fair that kid was kind of a poo poo stain dick head to the crew before that happened. It's called fitting in. You aren't in an office job where you can do your own thing and ignore everyone else besides the most basic interaction.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Smelly posted:

Violence isn't the answer to that problem, however.

That was the episode where it clicked just how much of a douche Freddy really is. He was so lovable on the Cornelia Marie

They were never violent with him until the kid sucker punched freddie iirc. Like come on. If I was that kid I'd be like "ya they are getting hostile but no way are they gonna punch me in the face un provoked to be shown on discovery Channel. " Now if discovery wasn't there I'd be a little worried.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't think the guy whose fake knee blew out a week into the season last year was Keith's fault! But the other 40 guys he's run off his boat totally are.

The kid who sucker punched freddie and wouldn't cut his hair hosed himself over imo.

If I had to choose between Keiths boat or wild bill I'd pick Keith. Because he seems at least nice to you at the start and if you aren't a complete idiot it should go well. Wild bill seems like the type who will always be angry or disappointed at you no matter what.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 21, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I caught the tail end of a look back/preview thing for the new Deadliest Catch, and Keith is going out with the youngest crew he's ever had? :psyduck:

:getin: this gonna be good.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Wild bill and keith running the same boat like the hillstrand brothers do. One can focus all thier rage on the green horns whie the other drives the boat. It would be amazing.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I wonder how much input discovery has in bringing on some of these poo poo hole green horns. Like the ones without a fishing background and straight out of college.

Glad to see sigs daughter is coming back. She was entertaining last time she was on the boat. And maybe it will distract sig from picking on good jake.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I read an article a while back on that and apparently it's just a problem they've been having ever since the show started. They get people who want to do it for just a year or something to get on TV.

Ya makes sense. I also read most of the other crab fisherman don't like the Deadliest catch. The reason being is the boats on the show will super underbid the normal people and discovery supplements the money lost to the boat owner or something along those lines.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Wild bill didn't do the hiring. His son did. And I really doubt they're actors. As bad as they are they still do(the ones that dont quit) more work then most people will ever do in their life in such a short amount of time.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Mop top's gonna fall asleep at the wheel and Wild Bill's gonna be pissed for a great TV moment. Calling it now.

e- Yep.

How in the gently caress!? Like really!! This has to be made up. Like ya you're tired but gently caress stay the gently caress awake. JFC

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gazaar posted:

During deadliest catch I'm pretty sure I saw a little corner ad for some contest to win a trip to DUTCH HARBOR. Oh boy yes I want to go on vacation in a crappy fishing town where the only things to do are stare at docked boats, pop pills/smoke meth, and drink amongst savagely depressed fishermen.

Same but un-ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

A change of scenery would be nice.

e: they probably have prostitutes too fwiw

The prostitutes they have probably look like the strippers who are dancing at 12pm on a Wednesday.

• Locked thread