Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Deadliest Catch has always felt like the most real (as minimally scripted as possible) of the reality shows...but the GoPro camera strapped across the Greenhorn's chest as he was taken off the boat and loaded into the USCG helicopter was pretty ridiculous...

"Holy crap, this kid is in bad shape..."
"Gang, can we just strap this little...camera...across him here? For TV? There we go!"

Also, didn't Flying Wild Alaska just end? They're already talking a new season in a couple weeks.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PowerBuilder3 posted:

:dance: Ice Road Truckers are back! I don't know why I like this show exactly, but I never miss it. They are doing a 3-way split this year, Alaska, Manitoba, and the Yukon Territory. Too bad no Lisa though.

I'm glad to see IRT back, but for whatever reason, it doesn't have the staying power as Deadliest Catch. I don't know if it was the narrator/producer (Thom Beers) and getting tired of his "The DASH for the CASH..." crap that got the show thrown off the original road, but I'm less enthusiastic about IRT than I used to be.

I'm glad they've brought back the roads in Manitoba and the Yukon which follow actual frozen lake driving, because after hearing about lake roads from a friend who lives in the Yukon, actually seeing stuff like driving past a cabin with a dock and being where the boats from said dock go during summer months is what's cool to me.

Lisa seemed to be trying too hard to become a celebrity. I followed her on Facebook only to later hide her stories because each post was "The episode's coming on tonight, hope you like it GO BUY MY poo poo!"

e- If anybody wants me to do an OP for IRT, I can, or if the mods would prefer IRT talk stay here, that's fine, too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This has probably already been discussed to death (and I read through most of it), but:

Throughout watching this series, I'd always liked Freddy, seeing him as a class act and mentor-type, which is the type of guy I like to watch at work in this series.

Then he pulls the poo poo he did riding Dane like a mule over a mohawk, causing Dane to snap. You can argue Dane probably should've gone along with it due to the whole crew bonding/crew tradition thing, but Freddy could've backed the hell off and done his job. Not a fan of Freddy anymore, and that's disappointing because he was one of my favorites (and a guy I picked for my "Fantasy crew" game on Discovery, which I basically made an All-Star Team of the show).

Keith? Nothing surprises me with him anymore. gently caress that prick and the Wizard.

Maybe it's the pilot training and crew resource management stuff I've learned, but while they were all wrong in their own ways, Keith and Freddy look like the biggest assholes in this mess. Kid doesn't want a haircut? Kid doesn't get a haircut. Do your jobs and work as a team, not as a petulant veteran deckhand.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Disappointed at Airplane Repo. The original show was a somewhat honest documentary. The new show has your standard jackasses, a script, and an airport in "Philadelphia" fairly obviously being Daytona Beach Int'l Airport. (The backstretch grandstand at the speedway is visible out the windshield in some shots.)

Has TV just given up on not being scripted crap posing as "reality"? Deadliest Catch seems to be the one oasis on History , TLC, NatGeo & Discovery anymore.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I couldn't believe the difference. It was almost insulting.

Original three episode run of Airplane Repo: "OK, our spies found the plane. Let's coordinate the crews and get down there. Once we get there, we HAVE to get the repo notice taped to the plane. It's all over for them once it's there."

Relaunch: "Hey, let's tow this $5M airplane outside and crawl around inside. No logbook? poo poo! Oh, wait, there it is! OK, I think we've got it. Oh crap, the owner's here, we told him to piss off, it's all goo--poo poo! We left the logbook in the unlocked car? The plane can't fly without it!", followed later by "Hey, let's run out with airport vehicles with their flashers on to intercept this guy flying a plane that will be doing 150mph when it gets to us. That will catch them off guard, because this is fool-proo-OH GOD DAMNIT THEY DID A TOUCH-N-GO!"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

evilwaldo posted:

Ok, Freddie is insane jumping into the water half naked.

I'm not one to hope somebody dies despite Freddie's rear end in a top hat status, so I was hoping the block would break when they were getting the tusk off the dead walrus instead.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Forgot about this thread. Sig and the Northwestern still own, and it's legitimately fun to watch them work because they seem to be the best organized among the boats they follow.

Campbell posted:

Freddie also seems to magnify the personality of his captain like 100 fold. Old days Phil, Freddie: seemed like a calm but sarcastic mentor. Keith Freddie: angry bully picking drunken fights. Sure it could all be the edit, but we had a lot of Phil years to see Freddie and he seems totally different now.

This is a good point. I liked Freddie until he pulled that poo poo with the Greenhorn over the mohawk last season, which was utter garbage. He went from "reliable guy I'd like to have on my boat" to "meathead frat boy douchebag".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The one thing I love about this show that I wish carried over to other documentary-style "reality" shows is that it seems hard, if not impossible, to inject staged confrontations and drama into. It was disappointing to see Ice Road Truckers go down that path, to where it's not fun to watch anymore because it's all about "The DASH for the CASH" interspersed with the girl trying to market herself.

Elliott's saga makes me afraid this show will go that way with him, fabricating made-for-TV garbage involving he and Val we'll have to deal with as opposed to actual crab fishing stuff.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ariza posted:

Since it seems to be the only show ever discussed in this thread, is Deadliest Catch worth watching? My tolerance for reality shows is pretty low, but they've got 8 seasons on Netflix now. I've seen a few random episodes and I thought it was pretty boring but people here seem to dig it.

Yes. Great show and, as others have mentioned, it's about the only documentary left on TLC/NatGeo/Discovery/History at this point that isn't fabricated drama. What worries me is that Discovery seems to be focusing more and more on Elliot's personal drama each week, veering it toward the cliff.

You get attached to certain people. The Hansens and Hillstrands seem like cool guys I'd like to have a beer with. Captain Phil was in that (pardon the pun) boat, too.

ToastyPotato posted:

Watching other shows from the same producer (all made post DC) it is clear that he has been obsessed with catching lightning in a bottle, except for the fact that nothing else is any where near as interesting to make an entire show out of (they make fine specials and docs, but cannot carry a 20+ episode season). So you end up with the ridiculous, over the top fakeness of a lot of these "job" shows that have popped up.

Ice Road Truckers is a show where the premise is that this is a SUPER DANGEROUS JOB GUYS HOLY poo poo but nothing really happens so they just stir up driver drama instead and you get to watch people drive up and down a road for weeks. They ended up making a spin off where they found much more interesting places for the truckers to try to drive in other countries. And that was the premise of that show. BOY HOWDY THESE ROADS ARE WEIRD AND DANGEROUS!

Thom Beers and his voice (The DASH for the CAASH) deserve to be fired into the Sun.

I feel like I remember Ice Road Truckers trying to be like Deadliest Catch in the first season or two and it worked, except for the part where they pissed off the people who manage the Yellowknife ice road because they made the truckers look like cowboys. So then they jumped the shark and rammed that poo poo into the ground with THE DASH FOR THE CASH/Lisa trying to parlay the show into some sort of modeling/acting career and it went to poo poo.

I'd forgotten about IRT: Deadliest Roads. Alex quit in the first 10 minutes.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 4, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Elliot's girlfriend is joining the crew of the Saga tonight.

If that's baby mama, I'll have officially reached "disappointment" level with this show joining the ranks of every other bullshit show trying to shoehorn dramatic storylines into an otherwise good show.

e- Ok, they said that was going to happen tonight at the end of The Bait and it didn't.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 2, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Can we talk IRT here?

Darrell "I'm just doing this to help my son through college" Ward on IRT has turned reality TV douchebag this season.

Speaking of IRT, I picked up Hugh's book (yeah, that's a thing) at Dollar Tree. He basically said the cameras turned several people into toolbags, and Rick Yemm's firing in Season 1 was due to his efforts to play it up for TV getting to his head.

He also basically admitted that much of what you see out of him on the show is forced and that he adopted a can't beat 'em, join 'em attitude when the informational, "share the story of the ice road" documentary he thought he was taking part in turned into a shitshow.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

As I said a few pages ago, I think Mandy Hansen is more competent and serious about what she's doing than Ariel Tweto, who seemed like she was cuteing everything up for the camera to try and become an actress. Or, to that end, Lisa Kelly from IRT who's an obvious attention whore.

The entire Elliot and The Saga Saga feels like Thom Beers/Deadliest Catch's attempt to find a way to shoehorn drama into what's otherwise an actually good show. Fortunately, there are enough decent boats the show features (basically, the rest of them) to wash Elliot's "Y'all stay on deck, I'm about to GET SOME!" out.

I don't know who the gently caress would want anything to do with whatever 686 is given that Elliot Goddamn Neese is their pitchman.

e- I'm enjoying the Cornelia Marie's rebirth, with Josh being Casey's (and, vicariously, his dad's) protege.

e2- Northwestern crabbing with the Super Bowl on the PA. :allears:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 16, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

IRT now has computerized, superimposed snowflakes which fall in the foreground when a semi getting buried in three feet of snow isn't dramatic enough.

God, this show is colossal poo poo, and I'm not exactly sure why I'm watching other than something being interesting about semis driving in ultra-remote Northern Canada in the Winter.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

smg77 posted:

You're going to miss out when his crew finally snaps and murders him.

He's going run the Saga at full power into the docks at St. Paul Island Speed 2 style when he realized the mutiny is under way.

Except, if I recall, it wasn't intentional in Speed 2.

I hope Thom Beers is on the ship for that trip and gets tossed overboard when Elliot runs that fucker aground. Cameras will be in position on the dock and on the ship because it'll be obvious it was planned all along.

Meowbot posted:

I can't get enough of Discovery reality shows. Gold Rush, Bering Sea Gold, Jungle Gold, Bamazon all of these shows are loving amazing buta lways end. I also liked Game of Stones. I don't know why I guess it is because I work in an office and a computer monitor tipping over and hitting me in the dick is the kind of perils I need to worry about.

I like Street outlaws and fat n furious also. I wish Jungle gold would come back on those guys were the worst at everything and it is really funny to watch them try and fail.

The only "reality" shows I've ever been able to stomach on Discovery have been Deadliest Catch and Storm Chasers. DC, as discussed, as been able to fend off the staged situations.

Storm Chasers was interesting when they actually focused on the science and Josh Wurman's research, with Wurman playing Air Traffic Controller to the TIV team. It got painful when it became Reed Timmer's Extreme Adventures featuring Sean Casey and The Amazing Technicolor Never-Ending IMAX Project and I was glad to see it cancelled.

e- Airplane Repo v2.0 was terrible and I quit watching after the first episode when "Philadelphia" was actually Daytona Beach International Airport, complete with Daytona International Speedway grandstands visible in the background.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 29, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Freddie was a really likeable guy on the Cornelia Marie, but he got to the Wizard and became a shitbag. It doesn't help being under command of Keith The Grunting Jackass Colburn.

Also, I hope Elliot gets the help he needs, but I also hope that's the last we see of him on this show. DC's about the only "real" docu/reality show I think that's still out there (and I think that because you can't really fake what's going on in a Typhoon in the Bering Sea), but his entire saga (pardon the pun) always felt tinged with "let's see what controversy or bullshit we might be able to generate with him for drama".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Coast Guard boarding the Cape Caution and the ensuing cranking up of the heat to make them get off quickly was a fun trick.

Even better was the USCG guys knew it was coming, saying some guys start smoking AND crank the heat to get the guys to get done as fast as they can.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jake's not going to get to see his baby born and that will be the straw which makes him completely lose his poo poo, right?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

IRQ posted:

Odds he comes back next season in some way for some fake drama?

He's going to rear his ugly head again on the Wizard or one of the other lovely boats on the show.

Probably as Freddy's replacement.

E- Does Discovery do these little look in things with any other of their shows? It's a pain in the rear end to see the show come back on on DVR only to have it be a 30 second snippet before more commercials.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 21, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Starting to get tired of Jake's saga. His "sit on the bridge of the Northwestern and whine about how he's going to fail in an effort to maybe talk Sig into talking him out of it" was cute.

Then again, I'm not convinced the opportunity for him on the Saga wasn't some forced Discovery Channel bullshit concocted after Elliot went to rehab..

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The buildup to the crabbers' letdown at the end of the Super Bowl because of Pete Carroll's amazing stupidity, especially in light of the equally creative and stupid ferry system to the mid-sea Super Bowl party, was entertaining as hell.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It's interesting the disparity between the seemingly well-oiled machines that are the Northwestern and Time Bandit and the disorganized messes like Every Other Boat.

I'd like to know how if Discovery has any influence on the hiring/"casting" of some of the lame-assed greenhorns the Wizard, Cape Caution, Saga, etc. get. Wild Bill's son going from John's cheerleader to worst enemy was interesting.

ToastyPotato posted:

I have never seen a behind the scenes explanation for how the captains can hear everything being said on deck. They make it seem like it is coming over an intercom, and I know that most of, if not all of the decks, do have one, but that is usually in one spot on the deck, and the person has to stand near it to use it. Not sure how people talking poo poo by the launcher are being heard over it. The microphone would have to be permanently transmitting, and also sensitive as hell, and I feel like they would mostly only be hearing wind, water, and mechanical noises at that point, based on my own experiences with various mics and recording in various conditions.

It would make more sense if the crew were wearing mics for production, which is something, again, I don't remember them mentioning BTS. Because then the captain could have an audio monitor just like the producers would (but it wouldn't sound like it does on the show, it would sound crystal clear, unless for some reason they were running the production audio through the radio speakers in the cabin.)

But it seems weird that they never bring that up in their BTS stuff, unless I have missed it.

Maybe I'm cynical, but in the world of "reality" shows, it doesn't make it feel very real if they admit on Behind The Catch that "we rig mics on deck and put a receiver in the wheelhouse so the captain has a reason to get visibly pissed".

I still think this is the most real docureality show there is today, but it's clear they're trying to shoehorn garbage in where they can.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Elliot was bought out by another company. Thank gently caress. :unsmith:

Jake is the replacement captain. :smith:

e- Oh, Freddy's back, too. :smith:

Hoo boy, you guys like drama? We've had an hour featuring problems out of the gate for Jake and newly-divorced-and-correspondingly-depressed-and-drunk Keith...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 30, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Yeah, Sig's better than that. That's disappointing from him.

I just hope this isn't something the three of them were all in on beforehand (e- I figure it'd be pretty stupid to risk blowing a quota because Thom Beers said so). I'm cynical enough about "reality TV" that I've been waiting for them to find ways to poison about the only show left in the genre that hasn't been terribly tainted. The first couple seasons of Ice Road Truckers were interesting before it turned into trash. I feel like most everything this show did with Elliot (especially on shore) was trying to stir up DRAAAAAAMA.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 30, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

General rule for reality tv: it's all made up garbage.

I've used before and will use again the example of how Hugh Rowland (IRT)'s autobiography has a section where he admits the Hugh you see on TV is a character (i.e., isn't the real him). He was on board from the beginning as a consultant thinking he was going to get a documentary educating people about the industry, which is what he wanted to create. When it went trash TV, he realized resistance was futile and joined in.

The only reason I still watch this is I find it hard to believe they can fudge the operational side of putting/not putting piles of crab in pots with 25 foot waves for intrigue, but they're definitely doing what they can to drum up storylines at sea (case in point, "HEY, FANCY MEETIN' YOU HERE!" in the middle of the Bering Sea between the Time Bandit and Wizard tonight for Keith's pep talk) to go along with the stuff that goes on on shore for the cameras. It wouldn't surprise me if most of the dumbassed greenhorns are actors.

e- Holy poo poo, Wild Bill hired a guy who's not a dumbass greenhorn! :stare:

e2- Another thing I hate about this show: I don't know what the technical term for them is (I call them "peekaboos"), but I hate fast-forwarding through my DVR to get to a 30 second to one minute segment of show in the middle of commercials only to have to fast-forward again.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 6, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mop top's gonna fall asleep at the wheel and Wild Bill's gonna be pissed for a great TV moment. Calling it now.

e- Yep.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 20, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The new guy (Dwyer) at least seems like he's got a decent grasp on dealing with crew bullshit, talking about how he's expecting his greenhorn to get poo poo, which could possibly ruin the attitude of somebody who otherwise appears to have potential as a deckhand, and how he'll deal with it accordingly.

I can't remember what started it, but I'm kind of surprised at the underhandedness of Mazar calling Sig. The Northwestern (and the Time Bandit) seem to be the two boats that have always been the most well-oiled machines on the show.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jake really needs to hire better crew.

I find it hard to take anything involving Jake, Wild Bill, or Keith seriously anymore, especially when they're on land. They're the platform for finally allowing faux reality crap to trickle into the once seemingly-immune Deadliest Catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's finally gone, isn't he?

I think the last we saw of him was when Jake took over his boat a couple seasons ago, which itself seemed like a made-for-reality-TV situation. "Let's take this douche who's now a drugged-up douche and replace him with another cast member who really wants his own boat yet looks like he's ready to start crying at any minute and appears one good outburst away from pulling out a revolver and shooting himself on national TV!"

There always has seemed to be a greenhorn in the last few seasons who felt like they were cast for the show as opposed to actually hired to work a crab boat and had absolutely no business being there, and they usually wind up on the Wizard, Cape Caution, or with Jake.

• Locked thread