Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

trouser chili posted:

I really wish this show would get more technical with the operations of the boats. It's hard to judge the quality of the work these guys do when you don't know what their IFQ was, how much they leased on top of it and what percentage of it they caught. The stupid crab count counter thing doesn't really mean much of poo poo, although the Kiska Sea sure seemed to pull a big number. Presumably since the entire quota system is managed by the DNR, these numbers should be available. And show us what these guys have for IFQ as compared the rest of the entire fleet. Are these boats we watch really the big producers? Are they mid-pack? Are they all small players in a sea of corporate boats? Some mix between? I'd be interested in all that information. It would really give the show a feeling of a goal since the derby days are dead and buried. Obviously these are floating businesses so not all the numbers will likely be shared, but some of the captains have mentioned things like $9,000 a day to operate the boat and whatnot. I'd love to see information like, preseason dockside prep and provisions and fuel @$DATE ($248,000), then see them make that money back over time fishing and bust out of the red for the season. Timelines, daily takes, incurred costs. That would all be awesome to me.

And you know what? For all the crap and whatnot we were shown Jake taking on the Kiska Sea, for a $100,000k+ per deckhard Opie season it sure beats working on the Saga, busting your rear end and risking your captain unintentionally manslaughtering you while he masturbates about women that either want nothing to do with him or do nothing but take advantage of him, all for $22,000.

I would also be interested in a logistics of the Bering sea special, going by the numbers Kiska Sea seems to be a much bigger operation and it's only logical that the Captain is demanding and wants Jake to learn the boat properly before he hands it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So why didn't Josh help the guys out with the gear? He might have been able to motivate them to work better if he had helped them and not sat around moping while watching them work.Also him rejecting the deal with Keith was just arrogant and pretty drat stupid, he's really drat inexperienced and should be a lot more humble about people who have been fishing for decades when they try to help.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Gazaar posted:

Yeah you'd think with how absolutely dire things seem to be on the CM he would've at least gone out to rework the pots. Also the part where instead of saying "hey guys get back to work we're already ludicrously far behind let's go" he instantly flipped his poo poo and got his apparently best deckhand to quit.

Though he's miles ahead of Jake I feel.

Jake knows his poo poo when it comes to how the boat works at least, when CM have mechanical problems Josh once against start moping about how unfair everything is instead going along, trying to help and learn how to deal with mechanical issues.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It's pretty hilarious that Josh can't even pretend to give a poo poo, must really suck for Casey though working with someone who only wants to be on TV and whose disregard almost maimed him.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

That must explain why Jake is able to do a poo poo load more with a boat when it seems like they are on the same level captain experience wise.

Jake knows his poo poo when it comes to the boat, there's a reason that Wild Bill made Zach the engineer that if Zach ever wants to be a Captain he must know how fix poo poo. Pretty much every Captain have a pretty drat good mechanical knowledge, except for Josh who don't even want to learn how the boat functions. I also somehow doubt that Josh fishes while the cameras are off, something which most of the other guys do.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

The kid who sucker punched freddie and wouldn't cut his hair hosed himself over imo.

If I had to choose between Keiths boat or wild bill I'd pick Keith. Because he seems at least nice to you at the start and if you aren't a complete idiot it should go well. Wild bill seems like the type who will always be angry or disappointed at you no matter what.

Well seeing how that's how he also treats his son it's hardly surprising!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Keith is a lunatic normally, I wonder if he will snap and kill someone this season.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
And that's why you don't hire friends as deckhands Jake.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

In wild bills defense it does seem like he gets a lot of pussies who look for the first opportunity to quit. Zach looks like he's dead inside and has no hope of getting out of where he's at.

It looks like he has put quite a lot of grey in his hair, I think that Bill will hand the reigns over when he has broken him completely and turned Zach into a bigger oval office than himself.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Grem posted:

The boat can probably cross the entire Bering Straight without a captain 98% of the time. Only problem is that 2% means everyone dies.

Yeah but what the gently caress was Kenny's reaction " It's not that of a big deal, nobody got hurt". I'm starting to understand more and more why some of the Captains are such loving assholes, I wonder how many times someone like Bill has had retards falling asleep at the wheel.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Keith once again shows off some sound reasoning on how to manage personnel, now he have to get another greenhorn again to replace the dude he fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Maybe the fact that everyone is treating Keith's son decently and not bullying him mercilessly have something to do with him not failing in five days like all other greenhorns?

• Locked thread