Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Campbell posted:

Regarding the couple of Deadliest Catch questions above, I might have a little info on that. The different offload ports are typically associated with canneries that they crab boat is contracted with. There are a total of 3 major ones in the Bering Sea. Basically a boat has a quota given to them by the Alaska Fish & Game (based off of past performance in the old Derby seasons, money and voodoo magic I believe).

That is how the original permits were issued, but boats can sell quota permits to one another. That's why 60 boats can do the same amount of work as >200 used to.

Campbell posted:

As far as payout, Captain & Boat takes 50% off the top. Deckhands get a % share based on their seniority/rank/whatever (such as "Senior Deckhand" or "Fullshare" guy, "Half Share" and I think greenhorns get even less). Different boats prolly give their guys different percentages too.

Greenhorns don't generally get a percentage, they get a straight wage off the bottom unless they do *really* well, sometimes the deckhands will vote to give the greenhorn a small percentage of their combined cut.

Campbell posted:

I kinda just wish that they'd let the captains talk about whatever was on their mind, even if it doesn't relate to EXCITING NEAR-DEATH BOAT STUNTS or something.
I think the other episodes will be a little more freeform and a little less of the sensational crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

headtrip posted:

After the Catch kind of weirds me out a little because the narrator's hubris is creepy as poo poo when he's actually on camera instead of just his voice. It makes him seem a lot more smarmy, or something.
Mike Rowe is a formally trained opera singer, so it's difficult for him to *not* sound smarmy.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Darth Freddy posted:

They also have another one that’s about lobster fishing that’s just as bland, they are trying to cash in on deadliest catch but failing so bad.
Take two on this concept, I guess.

I dunno, I didn't think the first lobster one was so bad, because all the captains hate each other and gently caress with each others' stuff not because it's funny, but because DEY STOLE ER LABSTAHS.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Darth Freddy posted:

Something tells me that the people at mythbusters don’t really know much about firearms. Though I do think its filmed in California so you cant blame them.
If it's true that Jamie was in the Special Forces at one time then he knows way more than he lets on.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Teek posted:

Anyone else catch the waterheater Mythbusters tonight? drat. That's about all I can say, I figured they'd blow, but not to that extent.
I started laughing uncontrollably when it lit off, and I couldn't stop for almost a minute.

That was AWESOME.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Ape Agitator posted:

The ending was a failure, but that was a beautiful explosion and the flaming carnage making a couple dozen yards off the ramp made for a wonderful replay.
I :laffo:ed when Jamie said, "The rocket car SUCKED when it blew up."

I also laughed at "someone owes me $10,000" after the rocket went up.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Eunabomber posted:

My favorite thread is where someone asks where is the website to order dead pig carcasses.

Edit- found it:
http://forum.mythbustersfanclub.com/index.php/topic,10949.0.html

WHY????!!
Step one: Buy 3 of them
Step two: Spraypaint the numbers 1,2,4 onto their sides
Step three: Release them as a HILARIOUS SENIOR PRANK MAN gently caress HIGH SCHOOL

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

New episode of Mythbusters tonight, apparently something involving a stun gun.

quote:

MythBusters
Water Stun Gun
TV-PG

On this episode of Mythbusters, Adam and Jamie investigate a secret agent myth - that you can turn a conventional electric stun gun into a water-powered electric stun gun.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Huh... I always wondered what it would take to liquefy a car (2.6MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Rocket-Sled-v-Car.gif

Adam is right, you can see the shockwave expanding (2.1MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Explosive-Welding-Animated.gif

...and an oldie, just to be gratuitous (1.3MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Cement-Truck-Boom.gif

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Doronin posted:

Having actually owned large boats (commercial fishing and offshore oil service boats), you run those inspections when are able to get the people out to do them. You have to have a welder (or two), an electrician and a drat good diesel engine mechanic to get those things going. Typically they are done some time right before the Coast Guard is due to arrive to do their own inspection and grant your boat its certificate.
This would make more sense to me if all the boats were based out of Alaska, where I'm sure there is a shortage of quality labor. However, most of the boats sail out of Seattle or Portland, where I have a hard time believing that it's so difficult to find someone to do the work at a more convenient time.

That being said, knowing (from TV, obviously) some of these captains pretty well, I'm not surprised that they're not more proactive about things like preventative maintenance.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

the-jam posted:

They already renewed it but haven't announced when it's coming back.
Reed, et al., have been sort-of liveblogging this summer here: http://blogs.discovery.com/storm_chasers/

Sean also has some posts on there updating the status of the new/improved TIV. When the new episodes are scheduled to come out I would guess the first announcement will be on this page.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

but it does sort of sound like it could be a couple of the American Chopper guys possibly - which would seriously limit my enjoyment of the show.
It depends-- if it's, say, Vinnie and Cody, it would probably be pretty good.

If it's just another hour of the Teutels fighting, not so much.

My guess would be that it'll be people who were on American Chopper until the end, since it seems like it might be close to ending/being canceled.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

There's a trailer up for the new season of Storm Chasers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsrHpYk8uhU , for those interested.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

Edit: Wow, pregnant Keri on Mythbusters looks really weird. It's like her head on someone else's body.
It's because she's pregnant and still dressing like a 13 year old.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

iastudent posted:

To Mythbusters' credit last night, I caught the opening minutes where they showed Red Green clips while introducing the duct tape myths. God I miss that show. :smith:
Keep your stick on the ice indeed. :unsmith:

iastudent posted:

Lobstermen is supposed to premiere tomorrow night, but I dunno. I didn't catch the swordfish show when it was on, but did it come anywhere close to being as good as Deadliest Catch?
Not even close. They tried to play up the drama between the captains because the work on lobester boats isn't 10% as "TV dangerous" as it is on DC, but since most of the lobster captains have no personality, it was mostly just boring bickering between old men who didn't get along.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

FYI, the premiere of Storm Chasers is tonight; Discovery is showing a highlight clip show from the first two seasons right now.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Philip J Fry posted:

That one group's name they passed on the road was pretty clever:

Severe
Hail
Intercept
Team
I completely missed that when I watched. :lol: Also, that was the car that Reed hung halfway out of his car and gave the ol' double barrel, wasn't it? I thought that was pretty funny.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

DurosKlav posted:

I'm just wondering where the tension between DOW and TIV came from. There was a little last season because DOW was being a little timid but this year head guy in DOW is just being a cock and its way over the top. I can understand everyone being annoyed at Reed since he doesnt really seem to be doing any of this for any other reason then to make money off his website, plus he's an annoying turd.
From what I saw last year, Josh is the ultimate :smug: because "He's not doing it for the science, but I am. HOW DARE a mere plebe try to privately research the same thing I am; doesn't he know that I'm from the government, which means I know better than he does?" It pissed me off so much I fast forwarded through their little "conversation" when I watched it last night. I guess I'll watch it again later to see exactly what Josh threatened.

Reed is no better, though; between his screaming all the time, being a douchebag fratboy, and "no we don't have to go no we're staying no no WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU LOLLYGAGGERS DOING WE GOTTA GO :argh: " So from a LOLbertarian standpoint I want him to shove his work up Dr. Dickbag's rear end, I don't want to see him anymore.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

spidoman posted:

Right behind the original Cement truck explosion.
http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Cement-Truck-Boom.gif

...like I needed an excuse to post that.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Fire Storm posted:

Is it so bad that I want to see them do an autopsy?
It would be the first autopsy in history conducted with ladles and spoons.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Tyshalob posted:

And now that Sean got his shot I have a feeling that next season (if there is one) will pretty much just be the Reed Timmer Show.
How much you want to bet that Sean hosed something up with his camera and his footage is mostly/completely useless?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Philip J Fry posted:

It's definitely a far cry from being around the droning muses of her Xtreme 4x4 counterparts. She's been working with them for years and those guys are always so serious. She probably just really enjoyed being in a more carefree, scientific environment for once. Hell of a fabricator, too...probably the best of the bunch.
I used to watch her occasionally on Xtreme 4x4; she sounds so stilted because all the people on those shows have to spend so much time reciting sales pitches written by the PR departments of manufacturers who give them free parts. She's definitely got the chops to keep up with everyone else on Mythbusters, though, and she's easy on the eyes, too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

A few weeks ago he posted a picture of his smashed-up finger on Twitter. I bet this is where it was from.
The way his finger was trapped inside the trigger guard and torqued I honestly thought he broke it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

American Chopper is still on?
Not anymore, apparently :shobon:

Anyway, it was obvious that the show was going to have to end soon, since the three main characters were all doing completely different things. I did find it interesting, though, how many times in each episode that someone would say "Gee I wish Dad/Paulie/Mikey were here for this", and I wonder exactly how much of the drama is manufactured (and not necessarily by the network for once, both Sr. and Jr. are involved with pretty obvious golddiggers) and how much would really be there if the cameras weren't around.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

If you're not keeping up with the Storm Chasers blog:

quote:

April 24, 2010
FIRST HIGH RISK OF THE SEASON!!! Dominator in position!

We have been grinding out 48 hours of non-stop storm chasing, seeing 4-5 tornadoes from close range a few days ago in the Texas Panhandle, and are currently heading toward west-central Mississippi from Iowa for a historic tornado outbreak today. By the end of today's chase, we will have covered 3000 miles in our first three days on the road, and likely several more tornadoes across multiple southern states. We are targeting Greenville, MS right in the Mississippi River Valley which is perfect storm chasing terrain - flat farmland with not too many trees - similar to southeast Kansas actually. The Storm Prediction Center has issued a rare High Risk for this area, expecting a massive tornado outbreak from East Texas northeast through Kentucky.. I seriously would not be surprised if there are over 100 tornado reports by the end of the day, many of which will be strong, violent, and long-track, so residents in this area should keep a VERY close eye to the sky. If the tornadoes happen we'll be there to drive into them! Stay tuned for updates, and be sure to check out our live stream!
The live video actually kind of works, too, although it looks like Reed has been stopped for a while helping people with cleanup.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

By now, they probably get a massive discount on buying them to the point where it's just cheaper to use them rather than deal with Buster constantly falling apart.
It's Mythbusters, they don't really pay for a lot of things they use. (I even wouldn't be surprised to find out that they don't pay for the cars they smash up.) I bet if one were to watch the end credits carefully every week there'd be a "Special Thanks" to some crash testing company or other in at least a few episodes.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Stormchasers was good this week, but man Josh Wurman is a whiny bitch. I'm curious to see what that video entailed, because passing a line of cars when you're legally able too is just fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMdJy3qMak

The description:

quote:

I appreciate all of you looking up the full video I shot on this chase day & hope you continue to watch Storm Chasers & enjoy it.

It's important you understand this is a TV show & people like me chase to provide alternate angles for your favorite Storm Chasers; the TIV, Twistex or Reed's group. A production company buys & shows this content for affect, be it a situational drama, a different vantage point, etc. No need to read anything else into it. No vendetta, no BS, just business.

edit: Josh Wurman was already established as one of the biggest :smug: on TV, so this didn't surprise me.

edit 2: Wurman is still a big baby, but that was some incredibly reckless driving by both the TIV2 and the Discovery chase vehicles, and with :smug: being at least somewhat liable (since he's backing the project financially) I can understand him pulling them off the road.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the :siren: DRAMA :siren: was all contrived for the cameras.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 20, 2010

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Crisco Kid posted:

What the hell is Discovery doing with the Brewmasters schedule?
I don't know if it's just DirecTV but the Discovery Channel/TLC/Science Channel schedules have sporadically been all wrong for the last few weeks.

Also, I think Brew Masters (which is great, if you're not watching it) only had four episodes planned anyway, so it's done after the next one.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

The most requested myth was that bags of water repelled flies. :aaaaa:

The problem with the show is that they listen to their internet forums. Internet forums are full of retarded people. The refuse to get everything. I mean, the loving airplane on a treadmill.
Even on "the smartest forums on the internet" there was a surprising percentage of people who couldn't understand that the plane takes off.

Also, the water bag/bucket thing is a lot more widespread than you think; the Milwaukee Brewers were keeping bags of water in their dugout (at the insistence of the manager) to keep mosquitoes and flies away for a while.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Radio Nowhere posted:

Speaking of fillers, has Brew Masters ever been re-run again? It's like after a brief run of new episodes dropped in last-minute random timeslots it disappeared completely. Was it that unpopular? I should surf the food channels to see if they have any beer shows.
This is why you and I would be bad cable network executives.

Popular Show? Play it once during prime time and then bury that thing so that it never sees the light of day again!

Unpopular Show? Let's show that thing ten million times over this next week! It's only unpopular because there haven't been enough chances to watch it!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

I still find it funny that even Phil didn't think Josh had what it took to be a captain, while he thought Jake was a shoe-in for the seat.
I think a lot of that was because Josh went to college and worked outside of crabbing for a few years before coming back to the boat, unlike Jake who started on the boat full-time right out of high school. I think Phil didn't think Josh was all that serious about being a crabber until Josh started studying for his Captain's license, learning as much as he could about literally every facet of the business and operation of the boat, etc.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

My guess is that Elliot is still under contract with Discovery, so the network paid for him to get the chair on a new boat.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Overdrift posted:

Is it that unusual for someone to take over while the captain sleeps? It seems like a huge fuckup on the greenhorn's part, not Elliot's.
Everyone takes a turn in the wheelhouse while the captain sleeps, but you don't put the greenhorn in the chair when you're remotely close to anything that the ship could hit/ get hosed up by.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Wooten posted:

Tim Samaras, his son Paul, and Carl Young from Team Twistex were all killed by a tornado on Friday night. Really sad, especially considering they were the only team on Storm Chasers that was really interested in science. I really always thought it would be Reed. :smith:
How much you want to bet that the executive that cancelled Storm Chasers at Discovery is cleaning out his desk today?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

ashpanash posted:

I'm not saying it gets to its heights often, but when it does, it certainly makes them count. Aren't we all sad that they aren't making more Good Eats?
Not really, because they kind of ran out of things to do.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

the cement mixer they blew up years ago in slow motion.
The very first animated .gif I ever made.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Deb Duchon ruled, and was maybe the most frequent guest star on Good Eats.
Indeed.

(I don't remember saying Nutritional Anthropologist. Did you say Nutritional Anthropologist?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

The untitled drama, which has received a script commitment from the network, revolves around two Hollywood special effects artists who are recruited by the CIA to complete seemingly impossible covert ops missions by creatively using the most basic tools from their craft.
More like "literally pitching MacGuyver and/or Mission Impossible".

• Locked thread