Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keeper
Jun 5, 2002

Robot Relations posted:

And while I've got your attention, please ramp up the difficulty on Cash Cab. I only like the show for the host anyway, but it's annoying to hear people strike out on questions that 4th graders would be ashamed to get wrong.

I still hate it because it's a game show but it's the only one I ever get anything correct on because it's actually questions about stuff that is good to know and not bullshit trivia about celebrities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keeper
Jun 5, 2002
This last episode (Big Rig myths) was one of those frustrating as gently caress episodes. I have to hope they were hamming it up for the cameras but Kari was sounding like she had no concept of air resistance. And while their dynamometers were cool the blowout myth was a perfect example of Adam and Jamie attempting to re-invent the wheel, shotgun at the tire? wtf? There are much easier ways to replicate a blow out, or the much more common event of one losing a tread, to top it off neither really replicated a realistic event.

I was one of those who didn't think the Knight Rider trailer thing was possible though, so the coolest myth to me was the one they paid the least attention to.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

IRQ posted:

This is lovely because it's someone filming their tv, but not that bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buF-feh51eg

Once you know what happens you can rewatch it and see how tense everyone is.
Tori was looking terrified in some of those scenes.

What makes that worse is how depressed Adam got when he couldn't do that awning ripping stunt with all the harnesses and pads, I imagine they had a different producer at that point. Or the insurance company was just paying more attention.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

Fantastipotamus posted:

jesus christ

I would go right back to that hair weave place and demand satisfaction! He simply did not get what he paid for.

"I wanted something in a golden... mane... and you gave me this silly orange.. mess!"

Mike Rowe, you are awesome.

I'm surprised he missed that they were both male, nowadays that would be enough for that weaver to get strung up.

"It's like a Rorschach test ... if you see seagulls... you have something in common with the designer."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-yp_U4xYF0&NR=1

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

IRQ posted:

He did have some nice scores, but I still think that cops don't go all out for stuff on the level he was doing. That's a lot of time and effort to invest, even the times where he makes off with a car and a big pile of jewelry.

I'd love to think that if someone broke into my apartment and jacked thousands of dollars of electronics and stole my car, that David Caruso would stick his head in the door, scream YEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH and take a bunch of prints, but in reality it's more like "well we'll let you know if we come across any of your poo poo ok bye."

But yeah, if they do new episodes, they probably should address this. I get the impression he was just doing exactly what he did as a burgler, hamming it up a bit with his commentary of course, but other than that I don't see why they'd change anything.
Think about how hard it would be to get a clean print out of something like a house, unless there's something like a just washed glass that he used or something equally stupid by the crook any object will have 80-1 prints of you/friends/family/pets/everything else vs. the criminal that would need to be filtered out. And if the thief doesn't have prints on record or was someone you know it would be pretty much worthless.

The viciousness of things he did was the culture shock that sold the show to me, plus the service of letting people know how worthless their annoying "guard dogs" are.

On the Discovery channel(s), shouldn't they have a massive library of their old shows? I'd prefer seeing stuff from the 90's over a lot of the non-science stuff that they've been running. Just put a disclaimer on topics that are outdated, or a date of initial running.

keeper fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 6, 2008

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

Dr. Memory posted:

Airplane on a conveyor belt tonight.
Was it just me or did the announcer guy sound very condescending during the explanation?

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

n0n0 posted:

I should have said that the wheels were moving rather than the car. I mean, nothing is really MOVING. Only the wheels are turning. And the axles. And so on. What are you, some kind of an rear end in a top hat?

If a planes wheels are good enough, if the bearings (or whatever) are all super slick and bitchin, and the runway "treadmill" were in perfect sync with the plane's engines, there would be no lift because the plane would still be stationary, moving forward at the same rate as the 'treadmill' moving backwards.

Thinking more about it, it turns out that I may be completely wrong. But you are still some kind of an rear end in a top hat.

To a more accurate adjustment to your analogy, instead of strapping wings to the car tie a rope (representing the propellers providing a plane thrust), when the rope is pulled the car will go forward, putting the car in neutral will still have it travel at same speed (with more resistance on the rope, this is what Adam showed with the toy car on the treadmill). Strap wings to the car and pull the rope fast enough giving it enough airspeed it will fly, you don't see wheels on a kite.

For those to believe the plane can't fly they have to deny the existence platoon planes, water provides much more resistance then wheels ever will.

keeper fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 3, 2008

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

XK posted:

Weaponizers was only a 3 episode run, so I guess we can stop complaining about it. I wish they would revamp it into a real competition show. They could fill 2 hours a week if they did it right. One night could be build night, then another night could be competition night. That way you could fit more than 2 teams in as well. A 4 vehicle rumble would be pretty sweet.

They just needed to pick a way to go, either setup a large scale battlebots-style tournament letting people/teams spend however much they want or make it junkyard wars like with a few days to build and a grab bag or very limited budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

Bremen posted:

I was tempted to send in a complaint that if the legos had been staggered instead of built into intermediate sized blocks first, it might have stayed together, and thus needed to be retested :devil:.

But I'm not that cruel.
I sort of felt the same way, the way it crumbled it looked like they built it into a grid of bricks instead of interlocking. If built like that an actual ball of bricks and mortar would last just as long. The myth was still busted but could've probably lasted a lot longer (a consistent shedding of outer layers) if it was all interlocked with no big breaks in between.

keeper fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 24, 2009

• Locked thread