Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SolarFire2 posted:

Personally? I think Bear is an idiot. Well, maybe not so much of an idiot, but I feel that he takes foolish risks to make his show more dynamic.

You've basically hit the nail on the head. As far as the layout of the shows goes, Man vs. Wild is set up to be more dynamic and exciting than Survivorman, and Grylls is trying to be a more exciting host to watch (which he is, even when he's jumping into frozen water or otherwise doing things that you shouldn't attempt).

What makes Man vs. Wild a better show than Survivorman is that it has that proper blend of entertainment + learning that Discovery is always aiming for. That's also why it gets higher ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Robot Relations posted:

That said... Please... Find something, ANYTHING to air besides Deadliest Catch. Deadliest Catch is a great show without question and is far more interesting than any show whose premise is "watch guys crab fishing in Alaskan waters" should be. However, there's only been three seasons and yet no matter when I turn the channel on, there's a 95% chance you're airing a Deadliest Catch rerun.

When did this become an open letters thread?

Anyways, the new season of Deadliest Catch is getting the series' highest ratings to date, so it's unlikely they'll scale back the repeats while the show is still in premieres.

The reason that Discovery networks (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Health, Science, etc) air so many repeats is because they own all their content. Because they don't get any syndicated shows, they have to fill all of their time with original programming. And because daytime and primetime audiences are vastly different, and a repeat of Deadliest Catch will still do better than a repeat of almost anything else they could show, the show's going to continue to get repeated all over the schedule.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Trotsky1940 posted:

He is filming, whether Discovery will opt to pick it up is another story. I would imagine they will as they run the first season so much.

There will be a second season of Survivorman. It should air on or around 8/10.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Syncopator posted:

I miss How It's Made. SHARK WEEK:argh:

There's always the Science Channel?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

IRQ posted:

Building the Ultimate?

Really, after Flip this House and Flip that House, I stopped trying to tell the difference.

You're not alone. Even execs at TLC/Discovery get the two names mixed up.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

LordOfThePants posted:

I think they only did the Shark Week special one year.

They did a shark week Dirty Jobs last year I think.

There is both a new Dirty Jobs and a new Mythbusters next week, I don't know if it's the start of a run of new episodes because my Tivo's guide doesn't go out that far yet.

There's going to be 4 weeks of new Dirty Jobs, and then another new ep a week or two after that, and 5 weeks of new eps of Mythbusters, both starting next week.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Robot Relations posted:

I'm not sure what the Mythbusters' issue is, but with Dirty Jobs, I think the problem is Mike Rowe's busy as hell and doesn't have the time to go do the jobs they need for the show.

Mike Rowe is under contract with Discovery. He's never "too busy" to do the jobs they need for the show.

The problem they've been having is finding new jobs, and the time it takes to make episodes. It takes time to go to location, shoot an episode, have it approved, sent to post-production and finished, and then they need to do a few more before they can throw them on the air so they can have a string of new episodes airing for several weeks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

burmart posted:

Man, the nerd rage at Mythbusters not being a new episode last night is AWESOME.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9401967776/m/1241997979/p/1

I've never seen such nerd rage at what seems to be a fairly rational decision to not put new episodes up against the olympics.

Yeah, the discovery boards are full of incredibly unbalanced people. Especially the TLC Miami/LA ink boards. They'd probably make a good weekend web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hazo posted:

I have to say, beating the everliving poo poo out of an eight foot white shark with a broken oar is pretty loving metal. :black101:
Here's the (complete?) schedule for the week:
http://dsc.discovery.com/sharks/programs/2009-program-schedule.html

Can't wait for Les Stroud's special, nothing else really jumps out at me. The fact that they're doing a special on the ":downs:Summer of the Shark" is pretty sad though.

edit: I guess there's not enough interest for a dedicated Shark Week thread?

Yeah I haven't been excited about Shark Week in a while, but I'll definitely watch Stroud's special.

• Locked thread