Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

B40C posted:

Jamie and Adam were both just like they are on the show, and Adam in particular was hysterical. I'm not sure if he was just joking around or not, but Adam made a comment about how he and Jamie don't get along and don't do anything outside of the show. I had heard that before, but now I really have to wonder.

I just watched "Mythbusters Revealed", their behind the scenes show. It was actually a bit disturbing to see Jamie being such a dick to Adam and to see them not being "super best buddies" as the show would have you believe. Also, Jamie is a Sociopath, no joke, dude is cold as ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

I fell asleep last night during the middle of the Mythbusters James Bond special, so I caught the rest of it tonight. It was sort of underwhelming, they only did three myths - does the magnet watch really deflect a bullet, will shooting a propane cylinder blow it up, and can they recreate the jump from Live and Let Die.

The boat "myth" wasn't really all that interesting to me, because they actually did it for the movie (I think they set a world record too), so I knew it was possible. It was cool seeing them remote control something different.

If anyone's curious, I'm 90% sure that the minigun they used was provided by Dillon Aero. They censored Kari saying the company name on the show, probably to keep the "super secret location since this is highly illegal in California" thing going.

I'm pretty sure they went to Nevada to do the minigum thing. No way would such a conservative* network air them blatantly breaking the law.

*they blur every logo possible, always get permits and insurance etc etc.

I don't think they explained this though, why was the bullet tumbling? Was it the magnets or did it hit something before it passed over the magnets. If it was tumbling solely because of the magnets, they forgot to explain something very-to me anyway-amazing.

I hope part 2 is a little more interesting.

Also, I just watched the Smash Lab with the truck bed liner stuff. drat what a boring inconsequential show.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Electric Hobo posted:

They used custom made steel bullets. One of them made a passing comment about them using steel bullets, but the footage of them actually making the bullets got cut out apparently.

http://forum.mythbustersfanclub.com/index.php/topic,11552.0.html scroll down to the post(s) by alwaysjust1*, who is Lt. Alan Normandy.

Woah, cool. They should not have cut that bit out.

I finally watched the concrete arrestor bed Smash Lab and wow is that show intellectually bankrupt. Their tests are stupid and have no justification. What did they think smashing a car into the barrier would do? How could you think that a car with that velocity behind it could be stopped in such a short space without ridiculous G force/destruction of the car. Also the last test at the airstrip their was no reason to run a bus through. God drat.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Just an aside, holy lol am I getting creepy internet person vibes from the "webmistress/administrator" of the mythbusters fan club site.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

Just from the "webmistress/adminstrator"? I always figured that practically everyone there was a goons.jpg superstar that either drools over Kari or debates to death the "science" of the show (NUH UH YOU CAN NOT/CAN SO DO [myth] THIS WAS WRONG).

My favorite thread is where someone asks where is the website to order dead pig carcasses.

Edit- found it:
http://forum.mythbustersfanclub.com/index.php/topic,10949.0.html

WHY????!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

anotherone posted:

Comcast OnDemand has a series of short videos with Jamie giving a tour of M5. It's kind of interesting just to see the areas of the workshop without all of the TV lighting. The room they introduce the myths in now is a set, but on the older episodes they used Jamie's office. There's also a lot of areas of the office you never see, there's a whole upstairs which is pretty cool. Every single corner of the building is full of artifacts from SFX jobs and stuff from the show.

Jamie comes across as a crazy person though, he spends half of one segment talking about every single random nut and bolt in the machine room and the other half passive-aggressively dressing down the cameraman because there are too many pencils in the cup next to the phone. You kind of get the impression that he doesn't really want to be on TV, he just wants to be left alone with his toys.

After watching one of the earlier Mythbusters "Behind the Scenes" episodes I came to the conclusion that Jamie was a sociopath. He really seems to dislike the coworker-interaction they were filming, it was kinda sad. However in newer episodes and BtS stuff he seemed more normal. Until this thing though.

• Locked thread