Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

BlockStacker posted:

As for Mythbusters, They've been re-doing old myths alot lately. I'm starting to worry that they're running out of ideas.

I haven't watched that Bear Grills guy's show. Survivor man has made me think that anyone who isn't in the wilderness alone is kind of cheating.

To people who have seen both shows: How does Man vs. Wild stack up against Survivorman?

As far as "MythBusters", they aren't running out of ideas, so don't worry about that. I went to a 'live' show thing with Adam and Jamie last weekend, and they talked about some of the myths that they are currently filming, and they sound very interesting, so don't worry.

I actually seem to prefer "Man vs. Wild". Bear isn't alone, but he does a hell of a lot more, mostly because he doesn't have to lug around the camera equipment by himself. He will specifically do things that he doesn't have to do or that are dangerous simply to show viewers certain situations.

As an example, when he was filming in this frozen glacial area, he jumped into freezing/below freezing water to show viewers how you are supposed to handle those situations. First, he said that most people gasp when they first hit the water from the shock of the freezing temperatures, and that this will cause you to suck in water which can cause you to choke and then drown. Then, he demonstrated how to get out of the water and how you must do some exercises (e.g. pushups or jumping jacks) to keep the blood flowing. Things like that.

I have also seen him drink the water from elephant feces for nourishment, as well as eat a fish raw, straight out of the river (like Gollum in LOTR!). It's pretty crazy. Oh, he also came across a dead zebra that had been killed and eaten by scavenging birds in Africa, and he ate that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

BlockStacker posted:

Cool, What was the live show thing? Were they taping a show or was it like a convention appearance?

It was a two hour seminar-type thing. Jamie and Adam were on stage along with a host, and they talked for about an hour or so, then showed us some "never before seen" footage that didn't make it onto the show. They discussed that a little bit and then had an audience Q&A.

I was surprised that the audience seemed to be mostly families. I think the younger audience was probably upset that they weren't filming a show or busting myths, but for me, it's just what I would have wanted, really. Plus, it was only $10, and $10 for two hours of entertainment is a bargain.

Jamie and Adam were both just like they are on the show, and Adam in particular was hysterical. I'm not sure if he was just joking around or not, but Adam made a comment about how he and Jamie don't get along and don't do anything outside of the show. I had heard that before, but now I really have to wonder.

Robot Relations posted:

I think they're just redoing a lot of myths on Mythbusters to show how much impact the viewers have on Discovery's programming. It's kind of a nice thing to see, really.

They said more than once that they enjoy hearing from viewers in regards to questioning what they had shown previously as well as for submitting ideas. They mentioned that to have someone second guessing their conclusions is the aim of the show (those weren't the exact words but that's the general idea).

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did you see the episode where they were testing methods to pass the Breathalyzer? Jamie looks like he'd be a mean drunk.

They talked about this at the event I was at. Adam said that he went to his local bar afterwards, but didn't want to drink any more alcohol, so he just drank water. Jamie said that the whole thing pissed him off pretty badly and that he just sat and stared at the wall for a few hours.

Grandpa Pap posted:

I also don't think Jamie can be too bad to work for; I read something (an interview? her blog? don't recall) with Scottie (she of the tattoos), where she said she loved working with everyone on the show, and loved working at M5, and only quit because the producers began to treat her less like an artist and more like a general mechanic.

Evidently, Scottie also didn't adjust to being on camera very well. Jamie mentioned that she got annoyed by being filmed all the time and that the other assistants have all been able to work on camera as if the camera wasn't there.

Robot Relations posted:

I did see that one. I think Jamie's got some secrets only he knows about. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was a Green Beret or such.

He was some kind of diving master in the Caribbean and did over 5000 dives. I think that was the most colorful aspect of his background.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Robot Relations posted:

That's another example, yeah. I mean, obviously they're going to take every possible measure to ensure no one gets hurt and I'm sure this is the kind of thing they were all told they might be asked to do before they took part in the show, but at the end of it, you're still basejumping off a building holding a sheet of plywood. I suppose it's possible that she was a lot more of a hazard and a hinder off camera than we saw, but it's no wonder she seems to have quit the show or taken an extremely reduced role.

I'm not sure if it was the same producer or not, but Adam mentioned his hatred of their former producer, who was the one that convinced Tory, Grant, and Kari to shock him when they were doing that Mayan battery myth or whatever it was. Adam said that it was like getting hit in the chest with a sledgehammer, and that the trio didn't want to do it to him at all.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Campbell posted:

I guess it comes down to the fact that really, it makes my lovely days at the office seem pretty dang good. Oh hey that guy got his finger about taken off by a 500lb crab pot...guess that's way worse than the knucklehead at the office that was pissed about not printing today.

I can't even fathom how these guys are able to go 32+ hours in a row like that. It's insane! This season has been very good so far, though. The only thing that bothers me is that, on some camera angles, you REALLY get the feeling like you're on the boat when it's rolling in the waves, and I feel like I'm starting to get seasick.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Davidnssbm posted:

saying bear gryll quotes at works with some other MvsW buddy is what gets me through the day! Vit-uh-min C!

Be careful when you're walking on top of those glah-sea-ahs, there can be caverns thousands of feet deep!

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Today they gave the entire run of a show that I can only guess was the proto-form of Deadliest Catch. I think it was called America's Deadliest Season: Crab Fishermen, or just Crab Fishermen.

The show took place in 2004, which was one year before DC started right? I didn't see any familiar boats or faces in the few episodes I watched though.

I seem to remember this show, too. There weren't that many episodes of it that I can recall. I know that I watched something about crab fishing before the 'Deadliest Catch' first season.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Is this "Everest" show worth watching, overall? I've seen it in the lineups a few times, but never really watched much of it. The whole Everest thing is pretty interesting to me, but from what I saw of the show, it seemed kind of drawn out and slow-paced.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

Check out the first season if they ever re-air it, it looked like at least one of the climbers was re-attempting it for the second season.

I set my DVR to record all episodes whenever it airs, but it seems like it isn't on that much, leading me to believe that it's probably not repeated that often. Like was said, though, hopefully they'll do a marathon sometime soon like they've been doing with "MythBusters", "Survivorman", and "Man vs. Wild", particularly on weekends.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

That's an interesting story about that incident in the first season. I also read that the Discovery crew may have been around and/or filmed footage of a climber that was attempting a solo ascent and had crawled under a small cliff where he slowly died, and there was some controversy about how no one (apparently) helped him. Was that in season one?

Sherpas are pretty amazing. What's crazy to me is how some people struggle so much on the ascents, even with oxygen, yet there are those who can do it without any oxygen at all.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Loving Leader posted:

Every one at my job agrees with you. We had bets going on when he was going to die this season. And then the "after the climb" episode let us know he's still alive at the end.

He was a dumb rear end for continuing with the broken hand, even though he made it. Getting to the summit of Everest really isn't all that difficult, in the grand scheme of things, yet he barely did. Getting back down is the real challenge. I was waiting for him to get back to camp and find out that it wasn't really broken or something like that, though.

For anyone familiar with Everest in general, can you tell me how it is that these guys are summiting so quickly? They leave Camp 4 around midnight or so, which is what is to be expected, but they're on the summit just after dawn. From what I have read (admittedly not all that much), it seems that it takes until early afternoon to get to the summit. And where is the Hillary Step?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

It just sucks that we have to wait until April for "Deadliest Catch".

I have a DVR full of "Survivorman" and "Man vs. Wild" to tide me over until then. The new season of "Everest" wasn't very long, and I'm almost done with it. Too bad they aren't replaying the first season.

It's obviously off topic, but since someone brought up the Science Channel and the History Channel, I may as well ask: any recommendations for shows on those channels? I also get the National Geographic Channel, too. If there's anything along the lines of the shows that are popular on Discovery, I'd be interested to hear what people suggest.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Filthy Assistant posted:

He really just oozes charisma, and has a voice that would be perfect for a talk show, really. Perhaps Late Night after Conan leaves? :krad:

Discovery Channel should wise up while they have him under contract and start their own late night talk show with him as host. Give it some kind of Discovery-type angle in some way if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

I just caught the first two episodes of The Alaska Experiment on my Tivo.

How many episodes have aired so far? I didn't set mine to record it, but I want to see them. Knowing the Discovery Channel, they'll re-air them, but I don't know how many to look for, and I can't find any type of episode guide on the official web site.

• Locked thread