Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey it turns out that for some reason my cable company has completely dropped the Discovery Channel! While I didn't watch a lot of shows on it I enjoyed Mythbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the thing about Mythbusters is that they can't magically just make time go faster and sometimes the experiments take a while to do or set up. It seems like a very time intensive show to make.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like my complaint was a little premature as Discovery is now back in my cable line up. It looks like it was just a victim of the cable company changing channels around and they just didn't put it in its new spot right away.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nmfree posted:

Huh... I always wondered what it would take to liquefy a car (2.6MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Rocket-Sled-v-Car.gif

Adam is right, you can see the shockwave expanding (2.1MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Explosive-Welding-Animated.gif

...and an oldie, just to be gratuitous (1.3MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Cement-Truck-Boom.gif

My favorite part about the rocket sled versus car is how the car doesn't even have time to move backward. If you look the car was just resting on those cinder blocks it wasn't secured at all but it doesn't budge until the sled has smashed almost the entire thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite myths are ones where they have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. Yesterday I was watching the Youtube episode and they had the Lego ball segment and it was hilarious how they spent so much time and money on the thing (they said they spent 2 weeks and over 1000 man hours on building it) but when they took it out to test the myth it broke completely apart within 10 feet of rolling.

Stuff like that and the exploding rocket car (when they retested the pilot episode myth and got everything ready to go only for the rocket to detonate destroying the car when they tried to launch it) are why the show is worth watching even through the mediocre stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jesus Christ, my cable company FINALLY got around to adding Discovery HD, the real one that is. A while back we had A Discovery HD channel but it wasn't actually the Discovery channel in HD, it was just random shows from Discovery. Now I can finally watch Mythbusters in HD.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I thought it was pretty good, surprisingly. They seem to do a better job with setting up equipment in ways that can actually capture evidence, and the pace is different. Where Ghost Hunters feels like you're tagging along for an investigation Ghost Lab is like Mythbusters in that you're jumping to the important parts and pausing for extra recreations/research before moving on.

The one thing that's super cheesy (just like Ghost Hunters) is how one person walks into a scene and presents a case as if the cameras aren't there and they haven't already discussed it.

That kind of reminds me of a super cheesy Mythbusters thing where they were replicating the scene from Last Crusade where Indy puts a stick through a motorcycle tire. They do pretty much everything to replicate it using normal means and then they go and pretend that they JUST noticed how it was faked. Jamie and Adam are both special effects guys so I'm pretty sure they took one look at the movie and knew exactly how the shot was actually set up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was a little disappointed that they didn't go into what exactly failed on the rocket at all. It didn't just spin out of control it burned through somewhere because there was a big hole burned through the side of the rocket.

Has Kari actually had her baby yet? She certainly seems ready to pop on tonight's episode especially since she's so far along they didn't want her to go that far out into the middle of nowhere to do the test.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new girl on Mythbusters isn't too bad so far and by showing her welding they seem to be making sure you know she wasn't just hired as a pretty face. The Kari segments have been pretty inconsistent though with some obviously filmed after she had her baby and some before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

you said that much too early :barf:

Yeah, that was probably the grossest myth ending ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I caught a little bit of Storm Chasers today due to the marathon and was struck by just how bizarre the concept of the show was.

Its a TV crew filming guys, filming storms. What's next, Storm Chasers Chasers?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm wondering what they're going to do with that prison cell since its pretty solidly constructed. You can't just knock it down with some sledgehammers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Adam and Jamie part of that episode just kind of petered out. I mean, it was an interesting myth but there just wasn't that much to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really wasn't expecting them to be able to light a match with a bullet. Also, all that earwax was so gross its almost making me throw up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't get past how stupid that name is, Motor City Motors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

The warm water bowl pee myth was a tremendous failure and they shouldn't have bothered airing such a half assed attempt. Everything else was fine, even though the ear wax was more of a gross out, and the canon was not a good episode ending.

Have they ever talked about myths that they tried but never actually bothered to air?

I agree that the warm water one was really stupid and I don't know why they bothered. They hung around that place for what, four hours and only got someone to do it by just grabbing one of their peons who agreed to maybe pee themselves on national TV. It really seemed like the lob ball kind of myth they fob off on the other group.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to know who was the retard who put Tory over a loving window? That could have permanently disabled him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The phone book thing is from the USA show Burn Notice which I think is a first for that show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ahaha, that's a pretty funny conclusion to that test.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seems like Kari decided to showcase her new "assets" in certain parts of that segment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It seems like they were inspired by the bullet drop myth which was fun but hard as hell to set up.

I'm kind of glad Jessi is gone because I didn't really like her all that much. She was way too fakey with being super perky all the time and the forced camaraderie between her and the rest of the team. She also seemed too network mandated. I mean, Tory and Kari worked their way up doing crap work for the show and Grant worked with Tory and Adam back at ILM but her inclusion was way too calculated. Like someone said "the hot girl is leaving the show for a while so we need a replacement one."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Compton posted:

Definitely too much drama, not enough crabbing.

I missed the first half of Mythbusters. What was in that bowl where they were sticking their hands? Was it just ice, or something else?

Recirculating ice water that was kept at 1 degree above zero. The other pain tests they tried were interesting but not feasible due to a)being too complicated for them to do and b)less control over starting and stopping it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wikipedia says that on Wednesday they're going to revisit 'Knock Your Socks Off' and, for the SECOND TIME, 'Compact Compact'.

The way they've been advertising it it doesn't really look like they're revisiting Compact Compact so much as it's part of their new "physics math reality check" series where the take physics ideas and test them out. Like the bullet shot/drop one. With this week's episode being is two cars hitting each other at 50mph the same as one car hitting a wall at 100mph.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, tonight's episode of Mythbusters felt really hollow. Like nothing was really accomplished at all. Jamie and Adam's thing involved a really simple rig and then going off to let someone else deal with setting everything up and running it while they just stood around watching. The build team's was a little more involved but they just kind of ran through it rather fast.

Also, oh joy next week ANOTHER revisit episode. They should really just stop listening to the fans since they never really have any suggestions that really help.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, she looks great. Her bigger boobs are some nice additions, too. :v:

Motherhood has been very kind to her looks.

As for the episode, eh. This is obviously another "light" episode. The first failure for the duct tape car stop was pretty spectacular though. Especially funny how the battery went flying way out of the car.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What was with that super dramatic music they played when Adam actually hit the target though?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

iastudent posted:

Is it wrong when I saw the coming up segment announce a daytime break-in that I thought the homeowner didn't invest in Brinks security?

Only if the homeowner is a woman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought there was supposed to be a new episode of Mythbusters this week?

Also something I was wondering, a while back (like a year or two) they made a big point about doing a complete redesign of Buster however it seems like they've moved back to just a regular crash test dummy in recent episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I could have sworn they had a "New Mythbusters Wednesday" bug during the marathon Sunday.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm guessing they never came out and said "we wasted a lot of money on redesigning Buster" and just quietly switched to the simuloids?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight's episode was mostly okay but saved by Jamie breaking out the goddamn flamethrower to send that dummy to hell. I have to say I was also pretty surprised that they actually got the unmodified pepper spray to catch on fire like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well I wasn't too surprised when the sprayed version caught on fire. It was the stuff that was just sitting on the shirt burning that was shocking.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

iastudent posted:

I'm honestly trying to pick my brain at what Discovery had before Mythbusters. For better or worse it was that show that got me to pay attention to the network as a whole.

You're blocking out the dark days of Discovery when it was all car building shows all the time. Except during the day when it was Gay Man Shows You How to do Home Design.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would have totally put the JATO II failure up higher in the list. It was just a fantastically horrible moment as absolutely the worst thing that could happen did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the problem with a Mythbusters thread is that the show has such a haphazard new episode airing schedule.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm loving Grant's robot army backdrop.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TL posted:

What's that one?

I'm assuming that it would have been about how Monster Cable doesn't actually do anything different. It just costs a hell of a lot more. Even though it would have been interesting I can kind of see why they didn't do it since it doesn't really fit in to their milieu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe they could do something about energy drinks. Since they could do both objective and subjective tests. It especially seems like something that they'd put Tory through making him drink a bunch of energy drinks until he spazzes out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh what a surprise, Discover has yet ANOTHER gimmick survival show! (This one about a survival expert taking his non-survival expert wife out in the wild with him.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

The Meatman episode of Mythbusters was on the other night.

I'm stunned Discover chose to show that in full. That was horrifying.

I loved how even Tory was kind of sickened by it.

• Locked thread