Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

They never showed it on air, but the Do Girls Fart clip with Kari still makes me laugh out loud. They showed it during their college stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JisgLhWghRQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Anyone catch the new I Love the World commercial Discovery has been playing the last week or so?

It's fantastic, and unlike most of their blurbs I catch myself watching it every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BxymuiAxQ

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

First new episode of Survivorman is up tonight, and it looks to be interesting.

quote:

When "Survivorman" Les Stroud gets lost in the rugged Sierra Nevada mountains, a Search and Rescue team is called in to track him down.

I also caught this article off Yahoo earlier about how this is the last season for Survivorman and Les is moving on to do other stuff.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081107/people_nm/us_stroud;_ylt=AqKZTW_JBByqIUOKIn2aCPBxFb8C

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

He doesn't have to starve, he could eat gross stuff and drink his own pee like Bear does.

Don't forget stopping by Outback for a nice steak after the days shooting, that always helps to.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

According the AP article floating around out there.

quote:

The Web site reports a family friend, Derek Ray, has flown to St. Paul to take over the role of relief skipper for the rest of the opilio crab season.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Adam Savage was on this weeks Nerdist podcast (https://www.nerdist.com) and it was seriously one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time. He goes into a lot of behind the scenes stuff about Mythbusters as well as telling some pretty funny Jamie stories. It is totally worth listening to just to hear the story about Jamie's thoughts on what if Angelina Jolie was a couch.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

iastudent posted:

On the flip side, I've contemplated making a Travel Channel megathread since there's some stuff on there I'd think some people would like. Man v. Food is an exception since there was a thread for that last season that got some attention and I made one for this season, but I could always roll that into the megathread.

That would probably be better since the new season or No Reservations start in a couple of weeks.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Emancipator posted:

Back to Deadliest Catch for a moment:

Was it me or did Edgar look especially angry on After the Catch? I know Edgar is typically not a shiny happy kind of guy but he looked honestly pissed off. I thought he was going to slug Keith when Keith interrupted him.

It seemed like every time he was trying to make a point that Sig was interrupting him, so he probably wasn't too happy when Keith started doing the same.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I saw a similar history writeup in an article I read after his death, but the Wikipedia entry on the boat had this to say.

quote:

The Cornelia Marie was built in 1989 in Alabama on commission from original owner Ralph Collins; she was one of the last boats built by Horton Boats. Named after Ralph's wife, co-owner Cornelia Marie Collins, she is 128 feet (39 m) long, 28 feet (8.5 m) wide, and carries 28,500 U.S. gallons (23,700 imp gal; 108,000 L) of fuel and 3,000 U.S. gallons (2,500 imp gal; 11,000 L) of fresh water.[1][2] The Cornelia Marie fishes for King, Tanner, and Opilio crab, and also does Salmon and Herring tendering. She features an aquamarine and white paint scheme with yellow banners bearing the ship's name.

Ralph and Cornelia Marie divorced, and Cornelia Marie took ownership of the boat. She eventually sold partial share to captain Phil Harris. His share is currently in possession of his estate.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I actually found Edgar's reaction to be the hardest to watch. He has been pretty sentimental this year with his injury, but still comes off as a hardass when it comes to work. Having him openly weeping at the table around the rest of the crew was a really good scene.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The Nerdist Chris Hardwick was the admin for the Mythbusters Comicon panel, and has posted the audio from the panel for this weeks Nerdist podcast.

http://www.nerdist.com/2010/08/nerdist-podcast-30-mythbusters/

It is really funny, and has a lot of interesting stuff from each of the mythbusters crew.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The_Raven posted:

Sorry, but the Mythbusters shark myth episode featuring Kari Byron in a bikini trumps that all day.

When I listed to the Mythbusters Comic-Con panel podcast I thought to myself that the guy who asked Kari if she was planning on doing another FHM photo shoot had to have been a goon.

This just reaffirms my suspicions.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Last year it wasn't much better with the Maine Lobster fishermen.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Ganon posted:

After seeing this episode of Dirty Jobs at the bowling alley, I think they may be out of ideas. The last half was drilling holes in a ball, Mike bowling for a while, then an old clip from another job.

They've been focusing more time on 1 or 2 jobs per episode this season than they have in the past. I heard an interview with Rowe recently where he said they had more than enough stuff to shoot for a long time, but that they had been trimmed back somewhat to keep their costs lower.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Looks like a lot of gambling on blue crab this season since their quotas were neutered so badly.

I can't wait to see what the Time Bandit comes up with in retaliation to the North Western's prank.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I thought Captain Elliott on the Ramblin's Rose was arrogant last season, but holy gently caress did he turn into an all out douche bag.

I can't wait for him to explain himself on After the Catch later in the season. There is no way the other Captains will give him any kind of respect after him chasing Jr. around throwing his pots right on top their string on purpose.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Came for the crabs stayed for shark week.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Really impressed by the amount of science and experimentation the Mythbusters are doing so far this season.

For science!

http://i.imgur.com/SiXVC.gif

Actually I really liked that trench explosion myth.

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 16, 2012

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Alton was on Nerdist podcast a while back and made mention of it. He wouldn't specifically say Mythbusters when asked, but he did say it was going to be a food mashup with the science show based in San Francisco.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

That sucks, even though it has been eight years of Dirty Jobs I'd still take it over Mythbusters. I saw Mike Rowe earlier this year doing one of his speaking engagements and even in person that man is down right amazing.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Everyone's favorite crabby captains will be back for a new season April 16th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dT_ZpIEQic

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

iastudent posted:

How did they convince the Cornelia's owner to let the ship back out of port? I thought last I heard that the owner didn't want anything else to do with it or the show.

:10bux: talks when your ship is just sitting there collecting barnacles in port. I'm sure selling your share of the quota to another boat every season is less profitable than the actual catch.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Sig has a big ego and doesn't want to give the boat up.

After their argument in the new episode I'm leaning towards this. Edgar really drove it home about Sig holding his past over his head regardless of how well he performs now. He had a point with that every time he brings up him running the boat that Sig shuts it down by not talking about, but then wants to rail on him for poo poo he won't share in the first place.

I did think that scene with Elliot's father breaking up with pride was good, but I'm sure at some point in the season we'll get him being a douche to even his own father.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Elliot is actually coming off as a better person then Junior this year. When his Dad lost the pot over the side he seemed pretty genuine that a $1500 loss meant nothing over the poo poo his dad put up with him when he was younger.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

e: Is Elliot wearing a Deadliest Catch hoodie?

I don't know how he could with all of that 686 endorsement poo poo he has plastered on everyone on his boat.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jake's not going to get to see his baby born and that will be the straw which makes him completely lose his poo poo, right?

Seemed to be manufactured drama to me. Doesn't mater how much of a career boost it might be you don't loving leave your wife in the middle of labor or even a week after the baby is born.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pro athletes, soldiers, ER doctors, etc have to do that poo poo all the time. Jobs a job. Not saying it's not manufactured in this case, but a lot of people can't leave their job, or maybe even can't afford to miss work to be there.

Oh I get that sometimes jobs and careers come first. What I meant is up until the Elliot call it was implied he was taking the season off to be with his wife and newborn. So it seems completely manufactured for the sake of drama, even going as far as zooming in on his phone to show Elliot calling while they had his wife pushing like he needed to leave right then and there. Kind of like the Jonathan Keith fight on the season opener a few years ago over sniping deck hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I gave up a couple of seasons ago, but the manufactured drama really started to show when they had the captains standing around a barrel fire and Jonathan knocked Keith down over him trying to take a crew member on. It was cringe worthy dumb and I lost a lot of interest after that.

• Locked thread