Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Doesn't that blow the point of the experiment, if the plane doesn't remain stationary until liftoff thrust is achieved?

No matter the speed of the treadmill the free floating wheels will always rotate fast enough to leave the plane in the same place. Therefore it has zero force on the airplane and doesn't effect take off at all. It's all because the wheels are allowed to move at whatever speed the ground is moving at that allow the plane to take off.

Now my question is this, if there was a wind counteracting the thrust from the engine, the plane wouldn't move. Correct?

The reason I ask is from learning about aircraft carriers. They turn into the wind and it acts as a bit more "speed" for the plane to take off with.

Thats how I figured the whole "myth" out for myself. The ground has nothing to do with it, it's all air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

If you mean the plane has a tailwind of say a 90mph or something? It might actually have sufficient lift from the airflow going the wrong direction over the wingshape to have lift before the engines even start. But as it starts taxiing closer to the speed of the wind blowing from the direction of its tail the airflow of its wings will start to get closer to zero and it fail to take off until it gets a groundspeed way higher than normal.

Yah thats what I thought and thats how I "got" the solution. The wheels provide zero movement at all towards the plane. They are neutral, only air movement contribute since any force that is applied to the wheel is effectively canceled by them being allowed to roll in any direction they want to move.

So the only force actually being applied to the airplane is air motion provided by the engine and any wind.

Thank you very much Agitator.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

IRQ posted:

You could, but it would involve moving the treadmill so fast that the friction of the the wheels moving would be enough that they couldn't spin any faster or would simply fail.

Even then they'd probably just drag along the conveyor belt and take off anyway. :v:

But in physics you always assume it's frictionless unless stated otherwise. :v:

I got your joke.

Edit: thought of this while in the shower.

With as condescending as Adam and Jamie were in this episode, I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them got it wrong at first and went back and filmed it like they knew. That or they were just pissed off about how much arguing there was over it.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 31, 2008

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Broken Condom posted:

It's literally been posted on their forums for years.

They weren't going to do it as it wasn't a myth, but more of a "I don't know physics" question.

They finally got fed up with it.

Hey for them it's another hour long show they get paid for and even if they think it's stupid, it's now put to bed, hopefully, forever.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's not like it was that out-of-the-blue, the Straight Dope column that said "the plane takes off you idiots" is almost 2 years old and I'm sure the question came up before that too.

But of course the people who believe things like the airplane won't take off, 9/11 was an inside job, or that Ron Paul would be a good president, will pretty much never be convinced by any amount of evidence.

They could also be confused by the question as it is designed to be confusing. At first glance it seems like a simple opposite, equal, force question and most people could just take it at face value and get it wrong.

Now add in that to explain it can sometimes get a bit confusing and add in the fact that people get so drat upset about this question that they will belittle and dehumanize others over it and it becomes more than a simple physics question. People are actually getting insulted and that is no way to teach another.

If you want a perfect way to explain to a person how the plane takes off, tie a paper airplane to a fan. The airplane will stay airborne but not move forward or backward, showing that airspeed is what is necessary to flight. Then explain about the wheels in neutral and finally add in the prop engine explanation.

Now if you explain that all in a congenial manner, without insult or injury and they still don't "get" it there may just be some confusion so keep explaining calmly. If they just come back with a "lol you suck, gently caress off" realize you are dealing with a jackass who is being dense for the fun of it or is just unwilling to learn because of sheer bullheadedness and move on.

I'd like to say that 80% of the people are just confused and because of all the bullshit are getting defensive because of all the fighting and 20% are just there causing problems.

This being the internet though it's probably more along the lines of 20% confused 80% gently caress heads.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I enjoyed the chemistry those three had together. So whatever the reason, I hope we get to see them all again, wherever they end up.

Hey, I'm also glad that there is going to be another season. 11 years is a amazing run for a show and it's not over yet.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well Grant's a kick-rear end electrical engineer and one of (I think) three people in the world who's considered good enough at effects works to work on R2-D2 so I'm sure he'll be snatched up.

Well that sound like they focusing on all the stuff that made me watch the show in the first place so, yay me, I suppose.

I hope they also go back to showing all the build work. I loved watching them build all their stuff and really missed it when they decided to focus on all the standing in front of a desk doing rehearsed totally spontaneous segues.

Agreed On Grant, he's exceptional. He'll land on his feet and quickly. That's my guess.

Kari is my favorite, hey, there is something about a chick that likes guns and isn't afraid to get dirty. I'm a heterosexual male, sue me.

You bring up a really interesting point. The build work, for the more major myths, jato take off and such, that was really neat to watch.

So who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

The thing I liked about the old shows is that they explained what they were doing and why. For instance, if they put 100 lbs of dynamite in a cement truck, they'd explain what that meant, what they expected to happen and why they chose 100 lbs over 75 lbs or dynamite over plastic explosives. They don't do that anymore, and haven't really done much of that since shortly after the build team was introduced. Nowadays they just do stuff without any explanation and it really sucks.

You can't really tell the viewing audience. We're blowing this up to get ratings.

It kind of undermines the effect.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Reality TV isn't reality?

Where's my pen, I'm writing my Congressperson!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

I am disappointed that the station has yet to be renamed The Reality Show Station.

Airplane Repo? Really?

Amish Mafia. Kill me now.

I try and stick to the educational portion; How it's made, how the universe works and I do enjoy some of the flagship reality shows still; Mythbusters and Deadliest catch.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Watching the A-team special of Mythbuster's now. I'm suprised how much I'm not missing the build team at all, as the new format is keeping me entertained.

Criticisms; Yes the intro is very "manly man man oooo rah" and I miss seeing Kari.

:shrug:

That's it, it's still a good show.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Mythbusters: The Search.

MEH!

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

How do you feel about the contestants?

Give me another two episodes to decide.

I knew Sarah was gone at the half way point of the episode.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I have less than zero desire to watch that loving show, but one really funny thing that I've noticed from the commercials is that more often than not when the contestants are all OMG SCIENCE!!! WACKY!!! they're looking away from the camera lens as if there's a producer nearby going "OKAY NOW ACT LIKE ADAM WHEN HE'S EXCITED"

Well yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Mythbuster's is completely unwatchable now.

Finishing up the latest episode.

• Locked thread