Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Brick Hardmeat posted:

Where is he from? Announcer Voice takes away from an accent, but certain words he says in kind of odd ways (no examples at hand).

According to IMDb, the announcer voice is Robert Lee, and he is from England, but is based out of Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

For those of you who want some spoilers, this is the site I have been using since last season's thread, they do have some reporting as the season is being filmed: http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/

Is there anything Sig won't put his face on?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I have to be reading that wrong - the Tastiest Catch Sauce doesn't say "Use as Tarter Cocktail or Love Sauce" - does it?

Louie sauce, you put it on things like cold shrimp or crab.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Timby posted:

It's the F/V Katmai that goes down on tonight's show.

It's not even a fishing boat, it's a cod processor ship.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Failourman: Completing missions with his bare grillz. Don't loving eaven arguaite.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Women's Rights? posted:

When the greenhorn went up to talk to Keith I was like "Hey it's Moi 2.0!" but I was really surprised that Keith didn't flip out on him like he did for Moi...I thought he didn't like whiney greenhorns in the wheelhouse.

Moi went up and screamed and ranted, this guy went up and apologized after his whine. I think that's the difference, unless I missed something. Verizon was screwed up yesterday and kept playing commercials in the middle of the show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doronin posted:

Yeah, what the hell happened to the Lucky Lady? They just stopped following it as abruptly as the introduced it into the show.

Maybe they decided it was too boring and didn't show any more footage? There was a whole boat cut out of Season 1.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Even better is talking about 6 weeks of harsh fishing for the Northwestern, and then immediately cutting to the CM captain talking about the 2 weeks of fishing they did?

Some seasons run concurrently. During one opilio season, the major processor ship caught fire near the beginning of the season so the boats switched to fishing for bairdi crab until the processor was running again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Chef Tony posted:

There was a browser game based on Deadliest Catch called Bering Sea Online. It was created by a goon but got shut down about a year ago. Now it's back up and I'm fishing for opies. :w00t:

Oh hey. Our accounts still exist too! Captain Jens of the Helmargunnarjanjenssenson sails again!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ew, old man booty on my TV :gonk:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Zimadori Zinger posted:

OH THANKS HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING STATING THEY GET HELP WHEN THEY REALLY NEED IT.

THANKS. I'LL TUNE IN NEXT TIME.

Isn't that the same disclaimer they run on Man vs Wild?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MrDingleDangle posted:

Deadliest Catch
Why did they have a camera on some random boat that we never saw before? When that one boat almost flipped they had a camera on some random boat, which was strange

Maybe they throw cash at other boats to let them put a fixed camera on or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I thought the 1916 special was good. Those striped bathing suits are pretty cool.

Normally, a shark wouldn't go up a creek into freshwater. But in 1916...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I guess he likes short careers that get you lots of money?

quote:

EUGENE, Ore. – Police say a man who appeared in the Discovery Channel show "Deadliest Catch" is wanted for three bank robberies in Oregon and has been arrested in Illinois.

Police in East Peoria, Ill., say they arrested 23-year-old Joshua Tel Warner early Thursday on the Oregon bank robbery warrant after a vehicle he was riding in was pulled over for a routine traffic stop. He was being held on $30,000 bail in the Tazewell County Jail.

Police in Eugene, Ore., say he is the same Josh Warner who appeared as a greenhorn deckhand on the king crab fishing boat Wizard in the "Deadliest Catch" earlier this year. The television reality show depicts the crab fishing industry in the treacherous Bering Sea near Alaska.

The warrant charges Warner with one bank robbery in 2007 and two in 2009.

I guess we won't see him anymore.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Teek posted:

Of course not, same with all the other Discovery shows involving well known hosts. Insurance throws a fit if Adam and Jamie, Mike Rowe or Bear get involved in something without some sort of safety help/mechanisms in place.

I think Les could get away with it since the show was essentially his baby.

Les Stroud created, produced, directed, shot, and wrote the theme song for his show through his own production company. I don't think Bear did that :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lordblytzkrieg posted:

So, does bringing up the fact that Bear Grylls gave himself an enema with water filled with bird poo poo on national tv make Bear Grylls cooler?

Les Stroud wouldn't put himself in the position to have to shove bird poo poo water up his rear end :smug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Fire Storm posted:

EDIT: So, do you think the series will continue? If so, will they Cornelia Marie be one of the featured boats still?

The series is Sig's baby, not Phil's. They'll probably feature some other smaller boats more like in the earlier seasons.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

If this were reality, Jim would have been shanked ten or eleven times by now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I hope the raid was a psychological thing and they're not planning to make it look like some horrible LARP battle with lead pipes and pepper spray for the whole season.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

The best Shark Week episode of anything was the Monkey Farm on Dirty Jobs.

The South African crazy monkey lady is the best episode because it's such a giant clusterfuck.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't know why Gold Rush is so entertaining. It's just one failure and disaster after another.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MetalGnomes posted:

Any other Canucks excited for the start of the new season of Canada's Worst Handyman? It's always hilarious, so I've loved every season.

But the Red Green Show ended in 2006 :confused:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I saw some show on one of these channels about drug dealers, at one point they had a camera crew following a bicycle courier in New York who casually talked about how he delivers "everything but crack, you gotta go to the ghetto for that poo poo" straight to your house on the Upper East Side while cycling down a busy street. :psyduck:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I hope you're all watching this show on National Geographic about some fat douchebag who takes medieval fair jousting way too seriously. 2 hours of rooting for people to get mangled on your TV.

It's a show about this group in Texas who joust at the medieval fair circuit and want to become the world champions of jousting or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Crisco Kid posted:

I feel like a lot of the WACKY JOB or REDNECKS ARE SO HOT RIGHT NOW shows on the Discovery family of channels would make legitimately interesting specials or mini-series, but trying to milk an entire series out of these single concepts makes them less entertaining in addition to crowding out programming that's actually educational.

History Channel produced a pretty good 2-hour special on moonshiners a couple years ago.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

They should just go back to that monkey sanctuary or whatever it was in Africa. That was hilarious.

That disaster of an episode will never not be funny.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bear Grylls has shoved pee up his rear end on TV for the last time on the Discovery Channel.

quote:

Discovery Channel has terminated its relationship with Bear Grylls, the British television personality and star of the network’s Man Vs. Wild. The severing of the relationship, which began back in 2006 when Man vs. Wild launched on Discovery, comes after the network has allegedly been unable to get Grylls to participate in two unannounced projects he was contracted for, say sources. The sixth season of Man Vs. Wild wrapped in August.

“Due to a continuing contractual dispute with Bear Grylls, Discovery has terminated all current productions with him,” a network spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter.

This is not the first time Discovery has had a disagreement with its talent. In 2010, the network sued Deadliest Catch Captains Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand for allegedly failing to complete work on the spinoff Hillstranded. The $3 million lawsuit prompted the Hillstrands and Captain Sig Hansen to quit, though a month later the dispute was settled, the suit was dropped and all three returned to work on the show.

Grylls, 37, has parlayed his fame as an extreme outdoorsman into an international media career. He’s written nearly a dozen books, many of them survival guides. His memoir Mud, Sweat and Tears – due to be published in the U.S. in May – already is a best-seller in England and Australia. He’s landed numerous endorsement deals including with Dockers and Degree deodorant. There's a Man vs. Wild video game, he has an iPhone app, and his clothing line is sold at REI and Walmart.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't get Keith. Every season he hires complete shitheads for his boat, spends half the season yelling at them for being shitheads, fires them, then hires more shitheads for the other half of the season and spends the rest of the season yelling at them. And occasionally slams cameramen against walls for not getting him coffee.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

I just watched Kari Byron fart on TV to prove a point. Mythbusters owns sometimes.

Well, they were right that it was a terrible idea.

The myth they confirmed by blowing up a car 30 seconds in and going "welp, no more myth, we can't run this on TV!" was great though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

We talk about Keith is going to get someone on the Wizard killed one of these days, but Elliot on the Rambling Rose is going to get one of his crew members killed this loving season.

Keith's a shithead but even he was like "okay, this is not fishing weather, everyone off the loving deck" when the 35-foot waves and 50-knot winds started coming in. Elliot was just "55-knot winds? What's so special about that it's just 5 over 50, we fish in 50 :smug:" and he's going to get his whole crew killed at this rate.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

And the Wizard goes through more greenhorns.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Well Deadliest Catch was finally redeemed today, Elliot got yelled at by the boat's owner over the phone :toot:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Looks like Keith breaks more greenhorns this year too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Someone gave Elliott $1.5 million.

Someone gave Elliott $1.5 million and thought it was a good idea.

Someone gave Elliott $1.5 million and he bought a piece of poo poo rustbucket.

Everyone told you you can't do it because you're a terrible captain.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

nmfree posted:

Everyone takes a turn in the wheelhouse while the captain sleeps, but you don't put the greenhorn in the chair when you're remotely close to anything that the ship could hit/ get hosed up by.

Also, some ships have two guys that can run things like Andy and Jonathan or Keith and Monte. Didn't Elliot completely hate his crew, too?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I just don't see why Sig and Edgar can't alternate captainships like Jonathan and Andy do

Did you see the Time Bandit special? Jonathan Sr. paid to build the boat for them, then took it back and waited for them to say "gently caress you, give us the boat or else" before he'd sell it to them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Hopefully without Jake around to gently caress it up and turn the boat into a floating meth lab.

A Breaking Bad crossover?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

haveblue posted:

They could have been safer, yeah, but they've actually done a lot of myths over the years about igniting fuel (including throwing a car over a cliff with the express purpose of exploding the gas tank) and it's not as easy to do as movies make it look. Also, the truck probably runs on diesel, which is even harder to light as its meant to be ignited by pressure.

Diesel is not explosive and not very flammable at standard temperature and pressure. The vapors are but nowhere near as much as gasoline. You can put out matches in a tank full of Diesel and nothing will happen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

And Jake Anderson is going insane.

You would too if you were stuck on a crab boat with all the poo poo that's happened to him over the years.

Also Junior's a dick. I can't believe Elliot looks like the reasonable one here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Who cares now that the derby system is gone? Work together and you both get home faster.

• Locked thread