Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

WindMinstrel posted:

Brilliant, that solves the problem for my OS X machines, now I need something for XP.

I went ahead and submitted an official request under your name, since you hadn't done it, and then filled it: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1203270257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

PianoDragn posted:

* JAVA *

* IMPORTANT: Performance is very important, please make the method efficient *

You should try the Cavern of Cobol.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

DoggPickle posted:

Anyone who can help with this would make my work day much awesomer :)

--

Everyday, I manually scan and rename all the signed cable-box trade in and out sheets for the previous day. I scan them as greyscale PNG's with windows scanner and camera wizard and they get auto-numbered in sequence.

I need these files to be renamed for ex. "12345vu_04.30.08", where 12345 is the customer's account number and the date is yesterday's date (the vu stands for video update and should be static). There is no way to pull the account numbers off the PNG's automatically, so I would still have to view each PNG and note the account # to type into the file name.

Ideally, I would like a program where I select a batch of PNG files, set the correct date, and then it opens one PNG* and lets me type in just the account #, and then it renames the whole file and opens the next PNG and waits for input.

*The viewer has to default to 100% zoom size so I can read the account number off the sheet.

I did this and uploaded it but without a sample image I don't know if you can see the account number or not. I sent you a PM about this, but hopefully it works as is.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

DoggPickle posted:

The Littlest Prince, Wow, thanks! Thank you for fulfilling my app request. It is NEARLY perfect. The size of the png is fantastic. Sorry I didn't get your PM. We were away for the weekend.

The only problem I have is that I need to be able to set the date because I do them the next day (so if it always pulls today's date, then it will always be incorrect, especially Friday to Monday or over a Holiday. If you could make one more line for date, and make sure that it doesn't reset the field after each entry, that would be awesome! This silly little thing is going to save me SO much time.

Totally forgot about this, and since then I installed a fresh copy of vista and I don't know where I put visual studio. The source is on the site, so if anyone cares to change it and re-upload, that'd help (it'd be a really minor tweak). If I find time (and visual studio) while this is still in my head I'll re-install and go fix it.

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 6, 2008

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

hyperborean posted:

An update and "thanks again" :

Neurozys answered my request with Sound View. I have played with it a long time now, and have kind of worked out a method of using it to compose music. (It helps that I am not musically-minded, so I don't have a specific melody in mind. Therefore I can just make an image and sort of know if it's going to come out sounding interesting.)

I have found that the program makes no discernible distinction of hue, only brightness. So I made a simple scale to use

(It's a gray scale! :v: )
Darker colors are lower notes, and this goes from low to very high. I'm still working on understanding the way it reads pixels. Using this in the vertical orientation, it plays each note once, slowly. Turning it sideways will make it play the scale very rapidly, many times. (This is at the default setting of 1 tick per pixel.) So I make an image using only these colors, then load it up.

Thanks again, Neurozys! I'm having a lot of fun with this!

This is pretty drat cool (and if you plan to screw around with this, heed the warning that you might need to kick up the ticks per pixel to make anything sound half-decent).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

LunchMoney posted:

I am looking for a software solution to manage a list of employee/client associations.

Basically if I look at the profile for employee01 I want to see that he is associated with client01, client02, & client03.

If I look at the profile for client01 I want to see that they are associated with employee01, employee02, employee03, etc.

I, of course, would need a way to edit/remove/add those connections.

I would like the profiles to show basic contact information like first name, middle name, last name, job title, company, street address, zip code, state, country, phone number, email, and a section for notes.

I do not need anything much more complicated than that.

You could probably do this in Excel pretty easily. Make a sheet for the employees, and one for the clients, and put all their information there, then make a third sheet which would just be a table of relationships.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Plastic Snake posted:

This makes me wonder how many other little applications for specific uses are like this.

Probably the majority, as nobody wants to bother optimizing something that will be given away for free and used by as few as 1 other person in the world.

Plus, simple programs like this aren't really all that bloated, as they're still incredibly small.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Hmm.. I did GymBossier - 141 downloads on SoftPedia. Go me, I guess.

Something about this pisses me off, but I have no real idea why.

Probably because whoever did it didn't have the decency to ask for permission.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I posted this is the software forum too, but maybe I can figure this out here too.

I've got a drive with about 100k+ of files with all of these spread across some 600+ folders amounting to a total of 300Gbs+. All the folders are named appropriately, 1,2,3,56,57,102,etc.

code:
Parent Folder
-1(Folder)
-3(expanded folder)
+fileblah.001
+fileblah.002
+fileblah.003
What I need to do is put these files into a zip, of course I really don't want a 300gb zip, so I'm thinking I could do a bunch of 5GB+ zips.

My question is, is XCOPY capable of at least moving these all into one folder? Or am I going to have to program something to do this, and if so how would I figure this out in Java? I know a bit, but if someone could point me in the right direction, that'd help and I could probably take it from there.

xcopy can be used to copy entire directory structures, but it doesn't have options to delete the files afterward (i.e. move).

I'm a little unclear on what exactly you're trying to do; you'll have to be more specific.

If you want to stuff everything from folder '1' into '1.zip' and repeat for all folders you could probably script that pretty easily.

If you want to keep adding files from sequential folders until you hit 5 gigs (e.g. let's say it works out to adding everything form folder '1' and half the stuff from '2'), you'll probably want to write a program. Or ask someone to do it, since that's the kind of thread this is.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It also gives the directories, is there a way to do it so it only outputs a line if it hits a file?

If not that's fine, I can just go through and delete the stuff I don't need

Try:
code:
dir /a-d /s /b
You can see what this does by running:
code:
help dir

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

The Pell posted:

I'm looking for an OS X app (or applescript) where I can choose multiple disk images and the app can partition a disk and deploy all images.

I wrote a simple bash script that basically does what I want, except that I need to modify the script every time an image changes. It would be great if I can click and drag images (or select through a prompt) to a list, and then have the program create the appropriate partitions and restore the images.

Something like this:

Disk [disk1]
APM [X] GUID [ ]
HFS [ ] HFS+ [X] FAT [ ]
Image---------Partition Name---Size
image1.dmg----Stuff------------10G
image2.dmg----Things-----------15G
image16.dmg---What Nots--------5G

Can't you just pass the image name to the bash script?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I think you guys are overthinking this gun registration thing. The guy wants to enter two fields and be able to search through it.

Why don't you use Excel (or the free OpenOffice version if you don't have Office). It will be easy to pick up for pretty much everyone and when he decides to add more fields, it'll be easy as poo poo to do so. Create new worksheets for each month/year if you want. I don't know what your volume is but I can't imagine it's enough to warrant creating forms in Access that won't be easily modifiable by the people running the place. The only benefit you would gain is that searches would be a little more precise, maybe. Doubt it's worth it.

Just create the two columns and then format it as a table so you can easily sort it. Easy.

Tip: Press CTRL-; to put in today's date. Don't use NOW() or TODAY(), those update each time the file is opened.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

That URL isn't any good. If I replace (Insert State Here) with Missouri or MO, it's still a That Page Is Not Found.

Has to be all lower-case apparently.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

juche mane posted:

I'm trying to watch my weight/health and I've determined monitoring my urine uptake to be the next step

Do you have some strange disease? I have never heard of the amount of excreted urine as an indicator of health, only its color.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

juche mane posted:

I've altered my diet to a healthier one and I haven't seen any gains. What I have seen is that for every pound of liquid that I consume, I release probably half of, later in the day. I want to put this into data so that I can figure out what to do next.

This isn't getting any traction at $5, so would $15-20 be more in line? Give me an idea people.

What you're trying to do isn't going to tell you anything. Go lurk YLLS for a bit (if you aren't already) and you should pick up on what might be wrong (e.g. not enough sleep, not enough protein, not pushing yourself hard enough in your workouts, expecting too much progress too quickly, etc.).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

King Gonorrhea posted:

There may be a better thread for this but I'm hoping to just have a question answered and I think experienced app builders might know best.

My Dad wants to build/commission an image recognition app where you would take a picture, and then your phone serves up a bunch of information on what was in your picture. He has asked me to research how an app could access current databases of knowledge to assist in this, what is required etc.

I've attempted looking around but I haven't found enough information to tell me whether he's even asking the right question or not, so, at a very high level, is there any special access required for an app to consult google or wiki for information? What other storehouses of knowledge are there that may be useful in this?

Thanks for your time, a high level quick answer is fine.

Give up; image recognition is very very hard.

Alternatively, I think I recently heard about an app that likely uses amazon turk to get living breathing people to describe what is in a picture. That is the only feasible option, and someone may have beaten you to the punch (I don't have a link to it or remember the name).

I don't know whether there is an amazon turk api that you could easily call from an app, but there probably is. You would just need to mark your app as requiring internet access.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Can someone write a greasemonkey script that puts a link that shows all your posts in a thread on every page of every forum thread on this forum? In other words for this thread there would be this link for me at the top of the page in the post/reply bar preferably:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898&userid=67042

I requested this multiple times via lowtax and via SALR but it never gets added despite it being a simple useful feature IMO. It doesn't have to automatically detect my userid, I can enter that manually into the script since I think that is the hardest part of this.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        sa_allposts
// @namespace   com.sa
// @include     *forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php*
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

var userid = 67042;

var url = window.location;

var argStart = url.toString().indexOf('threadid');
var argEnd = url.toString().indexOf('&', argStart);
var tid = url.toString().substring(argStart+'threadid'.length+1, argEnd)

var link = '<a href="showthread.php?threadid=' + tid + '&userid=' + userid +'">Check Out All My lovely Posts</a>';
$('div.top ul.postbuttons li:nth-child(2)').before(link);
$('div.bottom ul.postbuttons li:nth-child(1)').before(link);

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Plus, you're going to see a lot of random pictures without enough context in them to tell you where they came from. I guess you could show the date taken and maybe location, but still it probably wouldn't be enough.

Google plus can autosort pictures sometimes. You could try syncing them to that. Of course that's a lot of data to sync and it wouldn't end up on your own computer.

• Locked thread