Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm teaching some technical workshops to some very novice people soon, and what I'd really like is a very simple online app that will let me keep track of whether the students think I'm going too fast or too slow. Here's my ideal setup:

I have a private URL that I send to students in the class.

On that page, the students see a slider or set of ~ 9 buttons ranging from WAY TOO SLOW to WAY TOO FAST, with some intermittent values in between.

Students can move their sliders/buttons back and forth at will, and said info is automatically transmitted to the instructor's web page, where I see either a constantly updated average or the overall distribution (density plot or histogram) of the students' feedback.

This may already exist somewhere, but I haven't quite found anything suitable yet. I can fake something like this with Google Forms, but it requires that students constantly click links to revise and resubmit their answers, and requires me to constantly refresh to update the results page. I'd like something that requires as little moment-to-moment interaction as possible, so they can just change their scores when they feel bored or swamped, and so that I can just glance at a separate tab or screen and have some idea of how they're feeling about the class. I'd also like it to be anonymous, so students don't feel compelled to pretend to understand more than they actually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
This is not my first technical class, and I'm asking because I have encountered a need for exactly this, suggested by students themselves. If it ends up being a distraction we'll axe it, but we've already seen huge benefits from using etherpad for live chat and note-taking.

e: We're also wanting to use this to revise the course and see what needs more, and less, attention for novices. A lot of times people won't raise their hands to say that they didn't understand something, but they will push the hell out of an anonymous button.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 18, 2015

• Locked thread