Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sri.Theo posted:

Is is possible to write a programme that detects whether video is playing and automatically uses the media keys?
This seems doable in AutoIt with my level of experience, so I'll take a look at it. What I'll need, however, is a list of the media keys you want supported and the regular key they correspond to on your laptop.

Like:
PgUp=Play/Pause
End=Stop
etc

EDIT
Here's a thing I made that works for me. You can edit which media key corresponds with which keyboard key in the ini file. You can also set the name of the process that triggers the translation there. Keep .exe and .ini file in the same folder. There's not a trace of error checking, so you can make the thing not work by messing up the .ini-file, so maybe keep a copy of that until you've got it figured out.

The .au3-file is the source, if you want a good laugh, not needed for execution.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

It works fantastic thanks! Exactly what I wanted, hope it didn't take you too much work.

It's also nice that the home/end keys still work as long as no media is playing.

So er, can I chance my luck with another request? I'd like the volume slider to go up in larger increments when I use the volume keys. Rather then the tiny increments it uses now is it possible to write a script that makes it go up and down in around 6 large ones?

Thinking about it, it would be really nice if these were standard options in Windows.
Updated MediaKeyTranslate!

Same caveats as before. Now there's a section in the .ini file that allows you to set the number of times the {VOLUME_UP}/{VOLUME_DOWN} key is sent when the corresponding keyboard key is pressed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Yes, the customer fills out a form for the background check. We then rewrite that info into our bound-books.

For the program, just the full name and purchase date would be required. From the purchase date and name I can always go into the bound book for more information. The main problem now, is finding the date in the first place.

As it is now, if I need to find a name with no date associated. I need to go through paperwork manually for YEARS of information.
You could actually use some calendar application for this, if that's really all you want to do with it.

I've used Sunbird for a while to keep a searchable history of what was happening. Each event has different fields, you could enter the weapon's name and serial number along with the customer's name and so on. All that would be searchable.

It seems that Sunbird isn't under development anymore, though. But I'm sure there are plenty of other options in the calendar department.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Hogburto posted:

You'll find yourself using "display: none !important;" a lot. So very much.
On an only vaguely related note, I'm going to say that if -and only if- your only goal is to hide elements from pages in Firefox, Adblock Plus with Elements Hiding Helper does a decent job without having to edit the CSS manually.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TheEffect posted:

(is it just \\server\path\thing.exe)?
Yes.

TheEffect posted:

If I use xcopy will it retain the source directory's permissions?
There's a /O switch that "Copies file ownership and ACL information", I don't understand permissions fully though, so I don't know if that qualifies.

TheEffect posted:

And (sorry) if the directory path has a space in it do I need to use %20 in its place?
You need to put entire paths between quotes, like this:

xcopy "c:\path with space\file.txt" "\\server2\other path with space\"

What I wanted to say is that you can just type help at the commandline to get available commands and that you can just type something line xcopy /? to get the available switches.

All this stuff is pretty well documented on the internet as well.

Typing mkdir /? shows me there are no specific options for creating permissions directly with mkdir, which means doing that will involve using some other command. (e: apparently called icacls ?)

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 19, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

DNova posted:

I have a request I am not sure is technically possible. I would like a utility that would toggle the availability of certain drive letters for newly inserted drives/devices in Windows 7 (and 8/8.1 if possible).

It would be ok if a drive that was previously assigned to a letter was plugged in and re-assigned a forbidden letter (but if that behavior can also be prohibited, that would be good too).
I haven't bothered with this since XP, but if it works in a modern Windows, this might be what you're looking for. Requires some hardcore configuration though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ElPipiripau posted:

Hi! I'm a Premiere Pro user. As you may know, sometimes you have to render what you have already edited in your timeline. This can take a few minutes and, here's the request, I would like a tiny app to watch CPU usage when it is more than, say, 80% [user specified] and if it is this way for more than %seconds%, chime a %sound% when CPU goes back down to < 10% of usage (so i can know when rendering is finished).

This could be wonderful if I can define what aplication (like Premiere or AfterEffects) are running when this app play the sound.

Thanks in advance!
You'll get most of the way with Shutter.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ElPipiripau posted:

Thanks for your suggestion, Flippewaldt, that app would be perfect but it does not work the way i need. You see, you can specify CPU usage (above or below a percentage) and the time and you will hear a sound. But i need the event FIRST to wait until CPU usage is, for example, above 85% for more than "x" seconds and THEN monitor it until it goes back below 10%. Then BEEP.

Shutter's great, but it only monitor if CPU goes above or below a % for %seconds and then beeps. It is missing a step required in my proccess, described above.

Great app, tho. Thanks.
You can make presets. These presets can be triggered from the command line.

You make one preset that waits for the cpu usage to go above x1% for t1 seconds. Have it trigger another instance of Shutter running the other preset and have it wait for its execution to end. Then let it trigger your alarm. Then make it restart events (if that's what you want).

The other preset waits for the cpu usage to go below x2% for t2 seconds and then closes its own window.

This seems to work, though you'll have to click through the popup confirmation that you know it's for non-commercial use and blah blah the first run for each concurrent window. After that, it just does what it's supposed to, apparently, and hopefully without ever bothering you again with that.

You can possibly do the same thing more reliably if the rendering process has its own progress window and you can monitor for the window title to exist/stop existing, by the way.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

PhotoSift seems to be exactly the sort of thing he's looking for, except that it's for Windows.

Would be a cool Android/iOS tablet app though, where it shows you the picture surrounded by a rectangular frame containing different target (network) folders. You could just swipe every picture in the right direction. Or buttons with customizable EXIF tags you could drag on top of the photo or something. Maybe that exists already, I don't know.

I mean, that's if it's all so disorganised that you need to go through every photo one by one. There's probably still a lot that can be deduced from date taken as was suggested.

e vvvv Yeah ok, that needs manual intervention.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I cannot even make a proper assessment whether I'm wasting your time with this or what, because I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Macs, but there's a pre-alpha build of Wine for OSX here. The sifter program might just be simple enough that it works in that.

• Locked thread