Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Here is my request, you generous geniuses you:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1261580256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, everybody. I actually came across this thread by pure chance while googling for obscure Windows programs. Please forgive me if I am doing something wrong in my request. And please keep in mind that I know nothing about programming other than making bad AOL punters in 1996.

I feed stray cats in my neighborhood, and I trap them to get them neutered/spayed (and if they are friendly, usually a home; otherwise I just release them after being fixed). I do not like leaving the traps out overnight because it's freezing here in VT (plus I feel bad leaving them in a trap for hours no matter what the weather). Anyway, the solution I came up with was I set up an IP camera that makes a loud beep on my laptop when it detects motion, so yes I get very broken sleep but I don't really mind.

The trap is set up in a way that I can close it from bed, so if the alarm goes off and it's a cat, I spring the trap and then go outside and bring the cat downstairs for warmth and food until I can get it help. If the alarm sounds for a movement that is from a raccoon or something that is not a cat, I don't spring the trap and I just go back to sleep.

This has been working except for the fact that THE LOUD BEEPING ALERT DOES NOT STOP UNTIL THE drat RACOON OR WHATEVER LEAVES. So I have to lay there and stare at the ceiling instead of going back to bed because if I mute it, I'll fall back asleep and and won't get any more alerts that night. If I wait the 20 drat minutes for the racoon or whatever to leave, I've been up so long that I usually can't fall back asleep.

Help me goons smarter than I am, please. Is there any way to make a small Windows program that I can just type in the length of time I want the computer to be muted? Then after that amount of time, Windows will unmute? This is how I picture it:

(sorry for the crude mock-up).

I searched for something that did this for quite a bit of time but came up with nothing. In fact, I only managed to find one other person on the entirety of the internet that also wanted to know if such a program existed.

If someone could please help, it would be greatly appreciated. This with the combo of a baby who is teething is giving me some pretty bad sleep deprivation so any help would be literally improving my quality of life. :D

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicFrog posted:

Here you go. Based on nircmd.

Unzip somewhere, double-click raccoons.bat, enter how many minutes you want it to mute for. Press any key to unmute early.

A response with the program I needed in less than an hour :stare:

Thank you so, so much. I somehow have never heard of nircmd before. Holy moley what a useful piece of software. When I was googling what I wanted, all I got were people complaining about volume issues in Windows.

Seriously, thank you again. If you ever have questions about uh, modding retro game consoles or something, let me know. You've literally gifted me extra sleep; thank you again!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chunjee posted:

I did a quick 1 hour version.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/41vnjxnrjp8da2y/Put-A-Sock-In-It.zip compiled and source included.

The "UnMute" is more of a "Toggle mute status and kill the timer". With another 20mins I could check the system's current sound status.

This one works just as well too. Plus I love the sock icon.

Thank you both so much.

• Locked thread