Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I have an idea for an app, but I'm not sure if it's too intense to request in this thread, but here goes anyways.

Every person on the planet has files on their computer that they cannot afford to lose. Stuff like their resume, tax information, incriminating e-mails of their wives cheating on them with the Hamburglar, whatever. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have some sort of online encrypted backup system, but rather than a central storage system, use a sort of P2P system and just encrypt anything leaving our own computer?

Let me give an example:

• Person A has a file called FILE.EXT that he absolutely cannot lose, whether his computer starts on fire, or he starts on fire.
  • He has created a private P2P network with his friends Person B, Person C, Person D, and Person E
  • Anytime the application detects a change to FILE.EXT and it detects that it has internet connectivity, it encrypts a copy of the file, and uploads it to 3 of the 4 people who are in his "network" at random to increase fault-tolerance (such as one of them being offline, or having THEIR machine spontaneously combust)
  • Each person in the network would pre-configure a certain amount of HD space that they would devote to hosting other peoples' backups, and filesize maximums could be determined by the creator of each network so that one network might only allow a filesize maximum of 5MB (a good size Excel document) whereas another might allow 100MB (groups made up of graphic designers)
  • Should the original creator of the file ever need to reinstall his OS, or perhaps just recover a copy of the file, he would once again, open his "network browser" which would show which of his files are available to him at the moment (e.g. the other people in his network who have copies of his files who are online) and would allow him to re-download them at his leisure
  • Files that do not belong to him would not even show up on his browser, and even if they did, they would have been encrypted before they left the creator's computer, making them useless anyways

This is probably too crazy, but hey, I thought I'd throw it out there. Or if someone knows of a comparable application to this, by all means, tell me please. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a PC version of M_nus's (Richie Hawtin's label) Twitter DJ. What it does is act like a very basic version of a Shoutcast server, but rather than actually streaming the audio to anyone, it takes the track names that Traktor sends and posts them to a linked Twitter account.

The Mac version (along with the documentation and even an example video of what the Mac version looks like) can be found here: http://www.m-nus.com/Twitter_DJ/

If possible, I'd like to have a working version before May 13th, as I have a gig at a new LAN party concept, and I'd like to have people be able to check what track is playing from their machine as I'm playing it.

If it's too difficult (I'm no programmer, so it very well could be), I totally understand, but the app doesn't *look* that complicated so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you so much!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Delirium posted:

So basically you want a program that automatically puts posts on twitter about the music you are currently playing?

From what i've read from the site you linked, this twitter dj application does not contain a shoutcast server, but instead listens to an existing shoutcast (/ icecast) server, reads all track info from this shoutcast steam and dumps it to twitter.

Are you planning to run a shoutcast server on this lan party, where this program should listen to? Or do you just want a winamp plugin (for example...) that sends all track info to twitter? In case you want the last option, there seems to be an existing plugin for this: http://www.winamp.com/plugin/twitter-plugin/221831
Sorry, reading over my last post, I guess I didn't exactly explain it right.

It should be a completely separate app, that just listens for an incoming Shoutcast/Icecast stream but discards the actual audio and just uses the track data to update Twitter.

There won't even be an existing Shoutcast server that it needs to re-pipe the audio to, as there will be a massive soundsystem there for those people who want to actually listen to the music - this is just for people who might not be gaming at the moment and want to see what track is currently playing.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Apparently my Google skills could use a bit of work.

I found "Traktor Scrobbler" which does exactly what I'm looking for.

URL: http://www.ali.dj/traktor-scrobbler/

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Ok, I've tried to wrap my head around Swift and Xcode for the last few days and being that I'm absolutely not a programmer, am not getting very far.

What I'm trying to do is build a VERY simple app for my wife that tracks her decision making; specifically whether she made a good choice or a bad choice.

The way I envision it, the main screen would just be two big buttons "Good Decision" and "Bad Decision" and something smaller at the bottom to review previously recorded ones, and then once either is clicked, the next screen asks for the time/date of the decision and a description of the circumstances surrounding it, and then the ability to save it in CoreData.

The list of previously recorded decisions could be sorted by good/bad decision, or by date.

An example:

GOOD DECISION -> April 4, 2016 7:45PM, "Chose to not have thirds of a meal." -> Save.

That's literally it. Depending on the results, I'd even consider buying all of the source code from you so I can make it pretty for her with graphics and stuff.

Can anyone help me out?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Oh wow, this blew up. Sorry for not explaining more, I guess when you live it every day, you forget other people might not experience the same stuff.

Anyways, this is absolutely NOT about being a nagging husband whatsoever. I love my wife more than she loves herself a lot of days in fact. She has some health issues and making good decisions is really important to her daily health. She has something similar to fibromyalgia, which really limits what she can physically do in a day. Whereas you and I can get up and shower and go to work and go to the gym and go out for dinner and go out to a buddy's house, she can *maybe* do one of those things if she's having a *really* good day. But since she can be rather determined (to the point of almost being stubborn), she'll try and do too many things in one day, and then what ends up happening is that she wears herself out to the point of exhaustion and being bed-ridden for 2-3 days.

The app would be more to help reinforce those days where she only did one thing even if she felt like she had the energy to do 2 or 3 for example, more than to point out the days when she didn't make good choices.

Her and I actually talk about her good *and* bad choices regularly in a very constructive - and what I think is positive - way; in fact, she's the one that comes to me a lot of the time saying "nexxai, today I made a bad choice...." We have a *very* healthy and communicative relationship, this app would just help us keep track so that we can try and see patterns if there are any, and to show her that she makes more good decisions than she thinks.

Chunjee posted:

Could do something like this:

Does this have to work on a phone? Never worked with CoreData before but I can save as JSON.

Of course I would want to know this is something she wants. Making a list of all transgressions is ill advised.

Yeah, that would be awesome, as long as you could add a date field (in case we're not adding the decision at the very second that it happened).

nexxai fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Chunjee posted:

Had a feeling this had more to do with a health condition than anything else.

What I posted might take 1~3 hours. It would only work on windows, I mention this because I know Swift is an iOS thing. I have a small window of time today I'll try to finish it. A custom date button will be there as well, forgot that in the mock up.

If it has to work on a phone I'd have to do it as a web app and that would take significantly longer.
Yeah, I'd really prefer it work on a phone because the whole point is we want to be able to record the decision, whatever it was, as soon as she remembers it, which could very easily be when we're out for dinner or at one of her doctor's appointments.

• Locked thread