Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

From the last thread, for my stats-output-to-text custom app:

JediGandalf posted:

Unfortunately I know nothing when it comes to windows scripting. However, I did construct this in C#. Hopefully this will be just as good if not better.

Program and Source. Requires .NET 2.0

Let me know of any exceptions or other problems.

Thanks man !

Seems really cool, I can't get it to output the text file though...in APP > Preferences it asks me to OPEN a file, so I tried creating a blank info.txt file and opening it but that didn't work, wouldn't let me click OK. So where does the txt get outputted to ?

I minimized it and after a while I think it quit itself ? I'll leave it open again to see if it does it again.

Thanks a lot anyway man, it's otherwise exactly what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

JediGandalf posted:

Ok I think I fixed everything. Most of the issues were "Hurrr. Why'd I do that?" The default file is stats.txt in your my documents if you don't set a file preference. Lemme know of any more issues.

Program & Source.

Thanks a lot, again.

I installed it and it worked fine for a few days until I migrated it to my server. Now, upon launch I get an error and when I click details I get this message:

http://yossarko.com/atom/img/Picture%2011.png

Sorry for the wonky display, it's running through a VNC viewer (I have no monitor for the server).

Any ideas ? It worked fine on the computer I tested it on (same version XP). I've tried repairing .NET framework 2.0 and everything. It might be because it's a little old - a 400mhz 128mb ram PII "Zenith Powermate".

Oh, and this is only if you really have the time and enjoy working on this : could you add the current upload/download speeds for the network ? I'm not sure if this is complicated or not. And possibly change the "write to file" cycle from every hour to every 20 minutes. Thanks a lot !

Yossarko fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 9, 2007

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Don't sweat it, I don't want it taking up too much of your time.

If you don't mind though, I would like to change it to every 20 minutes as every hour is a little large.

If it helps, for the bug: the new server has one large hard drive partioned into two...a 8gb and a 270gb partition. Apart from the ram/cpu it's pretty much the same as the machine I tested on: XP pro.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Do you have the latest version (with the InvalidOperationException catches) so I can try it out on the server ?

Thanks

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

http://yossarko.com/atom/img/error.png

An error still pops up. It must be because this is running on a lovely PII, 400mhz Zenith Powermate and probably lacks some processor function .NET needs. Don't worry too much about it, I don't want you spending too much time on it, it's already great that you made me this.

:)

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

JediGandalf posted:

Oooh. Good idea. I did implement the DialogResult notion (I thought I did that though :confused:) and threw try/catch (InvalidOperationException) almost everywhere.

Updated

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Itt doesn't work, as soon as it opens it crashes. Same error. Gah loving dot net. Sigh. Sorry for wasting your time :( It really was perfect though.

If anybody else wants to take a crack at it, maybe in script...

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

This may be more complicated than I think !

I'd really like a small (invisible) app that reproduces the Mac OS X way of taking screenshots. Three shortcut keys, one to capture the screen, one to capture a window and another to capture a region (cropping). Either Mac-style CTRL+SHIFT+1/2/3 or (the preferred) PRNT-SCRN, ALT+PRNT-SCRN and CTRL+PRINT-SCRN.

This will then save the image in memory / clipboard while also saving the image (PNG, else JPG) on the desktop as screen001.ext.

The program actually exists (almost) but it contains a trojan : Print Screen Replacement.

Seems to me like it's pretty simple for the first two tasks (as windows already does it, minus the region cropping) but I'm probably wrong.

There are other solutions on the net I've tried but they are all way to bloated / feature-full with options, tabs and taskbars. I don't want a GUI, and if there was one it'd just be to set shortcuts or to set the destination folder (but I think desktop is fine).

So...does this exist somewhere or does someone want to try and make it ?

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Awesome, thanks a lot. Very configurable.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I'm not sure if this is tiny, but am willing to pay however much it costs a dev to make this.

I make web applications and want to be able to distribute them in .EXE format, using the webkit engine. What I imagine, is a folder (engine) that contains a modified (or maybe not) recent chrome engine (css3, html5), a folder (www) that contains some HTML files (a webapp / offline site) and an executable that loads in a window or fullscreen /www/index.html. I also imagine a config file (somewhere) where I can specify the path (maybe even point to an online [url]http://[/url] resource), the width and height of the window and if it's fullscreen (kiosk) or not.

If it's not fullscreen, and this is where it may be tricky (impossible?) is to strip out the toolbars and tabs of Chrome and just have a titlebar, and that's it. You can't navigate elsewhere - it just opens the address that is specified in a config file.

I've been able to do this (sort of) with Adobe AIR 3.0 which uses webkit but doesn't support HTML5 (audio, video) and some CSS3.

I think either the dev will have to re-build webkit (stripping out / hiding the toolbars and forcing the location) or maybe create a small application (windowed, fullscreen, etc) that uses a webkit webview inside it (.NET or Python or something maybe?). The very best would be to have support for mac (.app) and windows (.exe), although this may be very complicated ?

For the moment I use a ChromePortable with it's config file pointing to a folder and launching with --kiosk. It works good but I can't have a windowed mode (without toolbars, etc) and it doesn't exist on mac.

If anyone one is interested in this project please say so, as I said I am willing to pay (hourly or global sum). If this isn't "tiny" sorry for posting it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Hoborg posted:

By "web application" I assume you're referring to self-contained HTML+JS applications that don't make use of any local system resources (filesystem, etc) nor any backend logic (PHP/ASP.NET/CGI/etc), unless this is a client-side "frontend" UI that makes AJAX calls to some web-service?
Yes, it is self-contained HTML+JS, no backend logic, the only AJAX calls are made between local files.

Hoborg posted:

...because it's not like a PHP website can be easily packaged-up to run on a local computer (it can be done, it just isn't pretty).
I have done this before using PHP 5.4's built in webserver, and using it with ChromePortable (opening 127.0.0.1:random-port) but this isn't really needed.

Hoborg posted:

Well, the best I can do for you is if I take the WebKit.NET project and build a .NET application (I don't have the time for native, sorry) which hosts WebKit and also contains the website files all in a single EXE file. I would also build a program that can generate these EXEs for you. The down-side is that you won't get non-Windows support.
That sounds good, but will this .NET webkit run HTML5 stuff (and video / audio ?).

Hoborg posted:

Chrome added support for kiosk mode on the Mac back in late March (well, specifically the Chromium builds), it's possible this feature hasn't bubbled up to the GA builds of Chrome yet - I suggest you download an experimental build of Chromium for the Mac and see if it works for you then.
OK, thanks, I'lll look into that for mac - but does a ChromePortable equiv exist for mac ? Might be complicated, especially if the user already has Chrome installed.

• Locked thread