Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ramzi posted:

Yay. Thankees. It works great. The hard part was figuring out how to bind it to a keyboard key. But now I got it. I wonder why Control Alt Delete sucks so much. It takes forever, and you end up pushing "End Now" 100 times. This skips all that.

I'm not too familiar with Windows here, but I'm guessing that the "End Task" tries the windows equiv of a "kill -TERM" or such, to get it to gracefully exit and not do strange things to memory or file states. I think it at least tries that. Anything that is killing it quicker than that is probably doing similar to a "kill -9" (or kill -KILL.) While it will kill the app in a big hurry, it probably won't leave your system in a great state, probably some memory will be tied up unless Windows does its own crazy garbage collection, which I don't think it does.

So, if this is the case, I'd recommend rebooting shortly after doing these before the system gets into a funky state and corrupts something important.

Apologies if this is dealt with in the code, or if Windows doesn't work quite the same way. I just happened to think it should be mentioned, in case it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread