Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Godfrey posted:

I would love someone if they could make a program that copies a Dir, its sub folders, and its files then moves them to to a different Dir (I would love for the source and destination to be editable via a .ini or something) but leaves the folder structure from at source the same (its dose not remove the folders but does remove the files).

if you have any questions my aim is in my profile and thank you. :3:

C# command line app moveclone: http://www.tinyappz.com/index.php?title=Moveclone

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

wrok fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

JediGandalf posted:

Ok I think I fixed everything. Most of the issues were "Hurrr. Why'd I do that?" The default file is stats.txt in your my documents if you don't set a file preference. Lemme know of any more issues.

Program & Source.

Not to derail, but that's a pretty decent program. :glomp: I scrapped my attempt after I saw yours. ...though mine did use less memory :colbert:

Godfrey posted:

This works great! :h: seriously

Glad to hear it :awesome:

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Treytor posted:

Perhaps this is impossible, but I've yet to see a real time bandwidth monitor (network traffic) with a decent refresh rate. Task manager and other similar monitoring applications do the job, but I'd like to have a little app that shows what bandwidth (up / down) I am using at any time, and have it update as frequently as possible.

Any way this could be done?

This looks like it does what you want.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemeter/

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

The Fold posted:

Here's something I've been after for a while.

I noticed the [url]http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Moveclone]Moveclone[/url] app on the wiki, and this does half of what I'm looking for.

I'd like a directory structure to be cloned then for all files not modified for a period of time (say 6 months) to be moved to the cloned structure (that is, create an archive of sorts for old files). And if the move empties a directory then that directory gets deleted.

I used to work for a fashion company and had to frequently do this to stop the designers from filling up the servers to capacity each month, although I always had to do it manually.

So basically you just want moveclone with the option to delete empty dirs?

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

The Fold posted:

Here's something I've been after for a while.

I noticed the [url]http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Moveclone]Moveclone[/url] app on the wiki, and this does half of what I'm looking for.

I'd like a directory structure to be cloned then for all files not modified for a period of time (say 6 months) to be moved to the cloned structure (that is, create an archive of sorts for old files). And if the move empties a directory then that directory gets deleted.

I used to work for a fashion company and had to frequently do this to stop the designers from filling up the servers to capacity each month, although I always had to do it manually.

I updated moveclone to do what you want. Just call it with the -r flag to remove empty source directories (inclusive of the root source directory).

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Neurozys posted:

You don't need to create an account to post it

You have to create an account to upload files, but not to simply edit pages.

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

identikit posted:

Anybody know of a program/easy way to make file extensions show/hide? I normally have them visible but sometimes I want to hide them quickly to make changes to filenames. A right-click menu would be great. Thanks.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/ExtensionToggle

You must use the included install to add this to your right click menu. The program itself simply toggles the display of extensions, so you could run it standalone if you so desire.

PS - thanks Ramzi, you did all the groundwork, I just 'programified' the registry keys you read up on.

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Neurozys posted:

Eagerly awaiting upload. I started trying to write this one, but the only shell extension tutorial I could find was specific to an older version of visual studio and I was too lazy to try to figure out what everything in it actually meant.

Hrmm, :wtc: I thought it was uploaded already. But apparently with the wrong file name :(

Should be up now.

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD
Okay, here's a request of my own that I'm too lazy to figure out:

A Firefox extension that gives you the ability to drag a tab out of the current window to spawn a new window with that tab. Simple enough?

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Chozo posted:

Thanks in advance, guys! I love these threads. My program should be pretty easy.

This may sound stupid, but I would like a context menu extension that can toggle "show hidden files and folders" on and off, preferably with only one context entry. That is, I don't want one context menu entry saying "Show" and one saying "Hide," but rather one entry, like a toggle.

I don't really use hidden file settings to hide things, but just to reduce clutter by hiding infrequently accessed files/folders or those stupid undeletable ones that come with XP. Sometimes, it is necessary for me to see them and I hate having to go through folder options to toggle this. Basically, I am lazy.

I will do this in just a few minutes. It just requires a few changes to the ExtensionToggle program that I wrote already.

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Chozo posted:

Thanks in advance, guys! I love these threads. My program should be pretty easy.

This may sound stupid, but I would like a context menu extension that can toggle "show hidden files and folders" on and off, preferably with only one context entry. That is, I don't want one context menu entry saying "Show" and one saying "Hide," but rather one entry, like a toggle.

I don't really use hidden file settings to hide things, but just to reduce clutter by hiding infrequently accessed files/folders or those stupid undeletable ones that come with XP. Sometimes, it is necessary for me to see them and I hate having to go through folder options to toggle this. Basically, I am lazy.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/HiddenToggle

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

NOT WGET, just getting that out of the way right now.

A program that would download full sized pictures from Wikimedia commons. You'd provide the URL, and it would download all of the images on that page. For example, the link http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Language would return those 16 pictures in full resolution.

Bonus points for...

- Having a recursive option, so that the Language page would then go into the Bengali category, and then into the Bhasha Andolon category for their pictures.
- Having the directory and file name structure be pulled from the category and picture names.
- Having the option to slow the download or increase the delay so I don't hammer a website.

I tried using DownThemAll and wget, but neither actually does what is needed. In theory I should be able to enter the URL http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Counties_in_Virginia into a little script, and it'll slowly crawl through all of those counties and return all of their pictures into appropriate folders.

http://urltoys.com/ does exactly what you need.

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I get off work in 7 minutes so I'll check it when I get home. I swear if you're right you're getting buddylisted so hard.

It's not wiki specific, so it might not do *exactly* what you want, but it crawls a list of URLs (multiple levels if you like), and compiles a list of all links/embedded images -- you can then filter *.jp* or whatever to download what you want. All saved in a customizable directory structure based on the URL, filetype, or what not.

----------------

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD
Here is my request.

I don't know how best to describe this, but it's a tiny application that keeps the audio channel to my receiver 'open'.

Typically, my stereo (hooked up to the computer) will 'turn off' input processing when it notices silence coming in over the optical input. This results in a half-second delay 'turning on' as soon as sound is sent again. The solution until now has been playing mp3's on the lowest volume possible to keep the input going.

Up until recently, paused google videos would also keep the input channel open, so they must have been doing something with the sound hardware keeping a buffer open or data flowing or something. I have not found *any* help googling for more information.

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

CasualCliffy posted:

You may have already done this, but have you read the manual for the stereo system? You would think they would offer some method of turning off this 'feature' if you were listening to music that had moments of silence.

I've looked but not found anything. It's a nice system but not very customizable (not even an EQ). It was cheap and does what I want, with this minor exception, so v:shobon:v

I'm sure that if I were using the regular inputs, or directly playing music in it's DVD drive that this wouldn't happen -- it's just an optical input weirdness.

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

bazaar apparatus posted:

I actually posted a thread for this a week or two ago, but didn't get a lot of help. I don't really even know how small of a job this would be, nor do I know if somebody's asked for something like this already because I haven't read every page of the thread.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is a little app where I type a word into a search box, hit enter or whatever, and it goes through the registry to delete every key that contains that word. For example, I type in "McAfee" and it deletes every McAfee entry instead of:

Ctrl+F -> Search -> Delete -> Enter -> F3 -> Delete -> Enter -> etc.

I'm all over this, sounds like such an awesomely dangerous and reckless program :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

bazaar apparatus posted:

Haha well, it should obviously stay within the confines of whatever is typed in, so it doesn't harm the system somehow. Another use I would have for it is cleaning out viruses so that I could search for something like "yavafike.dll" or "av2009" or whatever, and it gets rid of any entries with those names. I don't know if that helps you, but I figured I should specify what I might use it for.

Thanks for helping!

For some reason this has become harder than I thought, keys without values don't show up querying the registry, etc.

If you have a more minimal/specific spec I can probably take care of it (i.e. "delete all values named or containing some string, forget the actual keys")

• Locked thread