Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Well the ISE upgrade went as smooth as you can ask for. Got delayed a couple times because I started the install and after 10-15 minutes it would give me an error, had to set my primary to standalone since I wasn’t upgrading any of the other nodes. Then when it rebooted, gave it 30 minutes like it said, no reply to ping and wasn’t coming back so I asked a VM person to check the console. Sends me a screenshot that was a boot menu for ISE 2.4 and I nearly poo poo lol. I realized that they must still have the image mounted from the original install and it booted to that, so he needed to press enter to get it to continue.

Then all I needed to do was register my secondary and policy nodes, join them to the domain and we are all good. No serious problems and only upgrading one node but it took about 4h 50 minutes lol. Glad to be done with it tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I'm currently taking Cisco II, after being beaten down by the initial class. Are you supposed to like, memorize and just shoot out every single text command for what does what when messing with Cisco routers and switches bcz I see no way I can recollect all of that without an enormous cheat sheet.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yes but also you get a mental model for the config structure and can basically just "?" your way to what you want eventually if you're CLI cowboying. Or just look it up and/or automate the config.

doomisland fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 25, 2024

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

doomisland posted:

Yes but also you get a mental model for the config structure and can basically just "?" your way to what you want eventually if you're CLI cowboying. Or just look it up and/or automate the config.
It's amazing how logical and explorable the Cisco CLI layout is until it suddenly does something backwards from all reasonable expectations like enabling a port via `no shutdown` or of course everyone's favorite learning experience `switchport trunk allowed vlan add`

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

wolrah posted:

It's amazing how logical and explorable the Cisco CLI layout is until it suddenly does something backwards from all reasonable expectations like enabling a port via `no shutdown` or of course everyone's favorite learning experience `switchport trunk allowed vlan add`

Logical? Junos > IOS

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Moey posted:

Logical? Junos > IOS
I've never actually touched Junos so no input there, just saying as someone who doesn't work with Cisco gear all that often I can usually find my way to and successfully configure any setting I need in an IOS CLI (or a good imitation of it like Adtran's) with a few tab completions.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

wolrah posted:

As noted ios isn't logical at all, it's 30 years of them mashing more commands in while not breaking compatibility.

It's sad that most other vendors cloned it.

Not Junos of course which is actual legit 95% logical. Give it a try on some virtual thing sometime.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Fortinet gear is also pretty good overall.

IOS is fine because I know it, which basically means I know 50% of other vendors CLi, and yeah it's not intuitive at all

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Junos is harder to learn but it's so well designed that it makes the time spent worth it.

IOS is what happens when you make your system so backwards compatible you can punch commands from the original AGS manual into a modern router and almost all of them will work just fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fortigate CLI tab completion doesn't automatically insert a space after you use it, which is the single most annoying feature.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Fortigate CLI tab completion doesn't automatically insert a space after you use it, which is the single most annoying feature.

The fact that its tab completion toggles through all valid options is really bad. This is one thing IOS does better.

Also arbitrary numbers for things - wtf. Makes it really hard to have config templates and make bulk changes since everything is an arbitrary number.

Sorry last complaint, locking down management interface to source IPs is so stupid - you can't just define an ACL, it's based on each user. so if you lock down users to specific source ranges, something internal blocks https/ssh/etc from everything else. But if someone adds a user, it defaults to 0/0, and is then open to the world again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Local in policies aren't per-user are they? Or is that not what you mean?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Local in policies aren't per-user are they? Or is that not what you mean?

quote:

Setting trusted hosts for all of your administrators increases the security of your network by further restricting administrative permissions. In addition to knowing the password, an administrator must connect only through the subnet or subnets you specify. You can even restrict an administrator to a single IP address if you define only one trusted host IP address with a netmask of 255.255.255.255.

When you set trusted hosts for all administrators, the FortiManager unit does not respond to administrative access attempts from any other hosts. This provides the highest security. If you leave even one administrator unrestricted, the unit accepts administrative access attempts on any interface that has administrative access enabled, potentially exposing the unit to attempts to gain unauthorized access.

https://help.fortinet.com/fmgr/50hlp/56/5-6-1/FMG-FAZ/0900_Administrators/0005_Trusted%20Hosts.htm

Basically there should be a setting to permit which source IP's can get to management interfaces that's not associated with user accounts, just 'listen on mgmt iface from x/y/z'.

Maybe there's a better way to do this now but our folks didn't seem to find one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah, FortiManager vs. FortiGate

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

It's fortigate (firewall) 600e/1000d/etc.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

falz posted:

It's fortigate (firewall) 600e/1000d/etc.

You quoted from the FMG/FAZ manual not FGT.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

It's the same for the fortigate's as well from what I remember, I can tell you in about a week when I need to configure our new ones.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Yeah that was just the first google hit that had the infoz.

Since there's fortigate chat here - I think the answer is NO but.. scenario is a Web Server is behind a Fortigate as a DMZ (both public IPs)

On the web servers config we whitelist certain hosts, block others. But we put a nice 403 message up saying 'you're coming from the wrong ip' (our customers ips)

Ideally I'd move this functionality to a firewall in front of the server - can a Fortigate do some sort of FW policy that only permits certain sources, but for others it displays HTTP error message itsself (not passing those requests to the web server?)

Seems like a stretch for this, but pretty sure PA can do it?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

falz posted:

Yeah that was just the first google hit that had the infoz.

Since there's fortigate chat here - I think the answer is NO but.. scenario is a Web Server is behind a Fortigate as a DMZ (both public IPs)

On the web servers config we whitelist certain hosts, block others. But we put a nice 403 message up saying 'you're coming from the wrong ip' (our customers ips)

Ideally I'd move this functionality to a firewall in front of the server - can a Fortigate do some sort of FW policy that only permits certain sources, but for others it displays HTTP error message itsself (not passing those requests to the web server?)

Seems like a stretch for this, but pretty sure PA can do it?

I think you can do that with an app policy, but I've never had cause to do it, I'd talk to Fortinet support if I were you.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Last post on this here.

So I work for a hospital primarily and then also do "IT Work" for a small clinic near the hospital off hours. "IT Work" meaning making sure their servers are updated and replaced, keeping their network up to date and somewhat secure, etc.

However I've got a request now that is out of my wheelhouse and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly, if it can even be done. The request is one of our scheduling teams wants access to the clinic's Allscripts systems to check on referrals and whatnot. The allscripts instance is hosted in-house and there's no direct external connection to the server or clients.

The clinic is behind a Fortinet FGT-60F. The client they're looking for is housed on a windows virtual desktop via a link. What the physicians currently do to access this remotely is to log into the VPN, RDP to the VM desktop via IP, and open the client that way.

I spoke to my NetSec super, and he suggested for our needs to have an SSL connection that they can open via a link on one of our desktop pools that would connect and open the client automatically. I've dug around in the firewall and see the settings, but I want to ensure that when they connect, they get to the specific desktop and not another one. It also looks like we'll need a certificate, of which we don't have, so I'm not sure if a self-signed certificate will work for this or if we're going to have to buy a trusted Cert and install.

I'm probably missing vital information to get this to work correctly, help would be greatly appreciated.

At this point I'm probably going to have to hire out to get this set up at least somewhat properly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

Last post on this here.

So I work for a hospital primarily and then also do "IT Work" for a small clinic near the hospital off hours. "IT Work" meaning making sure their servers are updated and replaced, keeping their network up to date and somewhat secure, etc.

However I've got a request now that is out of my wheelhouse and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly, if it can even be done. The request is one of our scheduling teams wants access to the clinic's Allscripts systems to check on referrals and whatnot. The allscripts instance is hosted in-house and there's no direct external connection to the server or clients.

The clinic is behind a Fortinet FGT-60F. The client they're looking for is housed on a windows virtual desktop via a link. What the physicians currently do to access this remotely is to log into the VPN, RDP to the VM desktop via IP, and open the client that way.

I spoke to my NetSec super, and he suggested for our needs to have an SSL connection that they can open via a link on one of our desktop pools that would connect and open the client automatically. I've dug around in the firewall and see the settings, but I want to ensure that when they connect, they get to the specific desktop and not another one. It also looks like we'll need a certificate, of which we don't have, so I'm not sure if a self-signed certificate will work for this or if we're going to have to buy a trusted Cert and install.

I'm probably missing vital information to get this to work correctly, help would be greatly appreciated.

At this point I'm probably going to have to hire out to get this set up at least somewhat properly.

Could you elaborate on the bolded section? I'm not entirely sure what is being suggested there.

Unless you want to setup a permanent IPsec tunnel between you environment and the clients the best-practice solution will be FortiClient SSL-VPN from your environment to the FGT-60F and then RDP in (I hope that is what you meant by VPN and you're not doing PPTP/L2TP). I suspect what your colleague is suggesting is something like Citrix where individual applications can be published which is an entirely different technology altogether.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Could you elaborate on the bolded section? I'm not entirely sure what is being suggested there.

Unless you want to setup a permanent IPsec tunnel between you environment and the clients the best-practice solution will be FortiClient SSL-VPN from your environment to the FGT-60F and then RDP in (I hope that is what you meant by VPN and you're not doing PPTP/L2TP). I suspect what your colleague is suggesting is something like Citrix where individual applications can be published which is an entirely different technology altogether.

This is definitely out of my scope of experience, and I'm pretty sure what he's wanting isn't going to be (easily and/or cheaply) possible.

Hospital has a pretty robust system in place with firewalls and security. I do not have access to the networking side as that is not my job and we're pretty heavily silo'd. We use VMWare (instead of Citrix), which is where access is going to originate. Creating a VPN (IPSec) is impractical and quite frankly gives too much access.

Clinic is a much smaller clinic where we have a physical server for the Allscripts database. This clinic has never had a properly set up network, and just now I was able to get them on completely updated networking equipment. The way the inhouse people access the software now is primarily though a RDS setup (finally got them to upgrade from terminal services after their previous server died). There are a few fat client scattered around, but those are because of card readers and whatnot, and nobody wanted to deal with making them use the desktop pool. This clinic doesn't want to spend a lot of money because they just dropped a ton of money in the past two years on IT (which lol -- I told them that server was gonna crap itself) two years ago, and this year they dropped a ton of money on a new phone system for their 25 year old phone system (that lol the phone system operator told them they wouldn't be able to fix it if it failed). The clinic manager is terrible about putting things off until they're broke, and while I do get some leeway, they still balk when it comes to spending money to prevent issues.

The request is that a group of people want access to a read-only view of Allscripts from hospital to clinic. Parts of this are kind of in place (the desktop pool, etc), but there is no other access other than a VPN connection (again, IPSec tunnel CURRENTLY only for physicians, Clinic manager and myself), RDP to the desktop and access the client.

The NetSec manager is the one that mentioned the SSL VPN tunnel (probably so he doesn't have to do poo poo on his side), which is where we're at. My networking knowledge is pretty firmly in the basic camp, and much of this is still a mystery and well out of my wheelhouse. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that someone who does this every day would find obvious that I wouldn't see at all.

The other two clinics (who are much larger than the one I'm doing work for) have web-based access to their server, and I'm not sure if our Allscripts server can handle that as well (which WOULD simplify things, but I doubt it as it's something that probably needs to be paid for).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

The request is that a group of people want access to a read-only view of Allscripts from hospital to clinic. Parts of this are kind of in place (the desktop pool, etc), but there is no other access other than a VPN connection (again, IPSec tunnel CURRENTLY only for physicians, Clinic manager and myself), RDP to the desktop and access the client.

That sounds like permission delegation within the Allscripts application itself which is dependent on the configured identity provider and RBAC architecture, none of which can be interrogated or altered by a FGT-60F (At least not in any way that would be secure).

To keep things both secure and supportable you should just keep it simple: FortiClient SSL-VPN (Tunnel mode only and with MFA, Duo Auth Proxy is a common way of doing that) into the environment, then RDP to a common RDS host where users then access the Allscripts application. Ideally users would have their own login to the Allscripts application which then grants them permissions based on assigned roles or whatnot (A quick Google turned up the following which implies that read-only accounts can be created for users: https://wiki.galenhealthcare.com/index.php/Creating_a_Read_Only_Account_in_Allscripts_Enterprise_EHR).

Gothmog1065 posted:

The NetSec manager is the one that mentioned the SSL VPN tunnel (probably so he doesn't have to do poo poo on his side), which is where we're at. My networking knowledge is pretty firmly in the basic camp, and much of this is still a mystery and well out of my wheelhouse. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that someone who does this every day would find obvious that I wouldn't see at all.

Network access for SSL-VPN users can be controlled in a granular fashion with user groups on a FortiGate but that only really covers you for Layer 3/4/7 network connectivity (e.g. users in "Group-A" can only connect to "RDS-Host-A", users in "Group-B" can only connect to "RDS-Host-B"). There's no mechanism where the FortiGate can inform an application of the connecting user's role-assignment or permission delegation, that has to be handled entirely within the application itself (And for something like this that is where it should be controlled).

One more note, I'd recommend keeping the core principle of Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) in mind at all times: never trust, always verify.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That sounds like permission delegation within the Allscripts application itself which is dependent on the configured identity provider and RBAC architecture, none of which can be interrogated or altered by a FGT-60F (At least not in any way that would be secure).

Correct, and Allscripts has it's own userbase outside of LDAP (Namely because LDAP didn't really exist outside of shared logins before I got there). So we'd have to A> get tunneled to the system, so they could B> log into Allscripts.

quote:

Network access for SSL-VPN users can be controlled in a granular fashion with user groups on a FortiGate but that only really covers you for Layer 3/4/7 network connectivity (e.g. users in "Group-A" can only connect to "RDS-Host-A", users in "Group-B" can only connect to "RDS-Host-B"). There's no mechanism where the FortiGate can inform an application of the connecting user's role-assignment or permission delegation, that has to be handled entirely within the application itself (And for something like this that is where it should be controlled).

One more note, I'd recommend keeping the core principle of Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) in mind at all times: never trust, always verify.

This would actually be functional and fit with what we're doing. All external access from x IPs would only be able to access x internal IP. "Group A" would be these users. "Group B" would still have the IPSec tunnel for full access.

I guess the next question is where my ignorance really shows. What would be the medium for the tunnel itself? I know for our IPSec tunnels, we have to install the Fortinet VPN Client (not the full client since we don't use any of the other features), the hospital uses Cisco AnyConnect, which has to be activated and logged in to for RDP, etc to work. It's not an active site to site vpn or anything like that. The request would basically be the ability to click a desktop icon on the hospital side that would open the vpn, which would bring up the remote desktop, which would allow them to complete the request.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It's probably not enterprise enough or too janky but for lab access I use Apache Guacamole to sit in between the RDP hosts and the clients which provides a seperate auth mechanism so your end users aren't directly logging in with RDP credentials, and use users/groups to control what RDP hosts they have access to.

Guacamole will use internally known credentials to automatically log into the chosen RDP host.

This runs in a browser, so you still need a the FortiVPN client to connect via the Fortigate (IPSEC/SSL mode doesn't really matter much), and then fire wall down access to only the Guacamole web interface.

I guess the other benefit is they can have a browser bookmark to gain access once they're on the VPN and you could stick Guacamole in some kind of DMZ to further limit access where it can only hit the RDP hosts via the Forti firewall as well.

Downside is you need a server to run Guac on. It's kind of a poor man's half assed secure remote access setup.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Aware posted:

This runs in a browser, so you still need a the FortiVPN client to connect via the Fortigate (IPSEC/SSL mode doesn't really matter much), and then fire wall down access to only the Guacamole web interface.

This is the ultimate issue I believe that all of this is currently boiling down to: There's not an easy way bypass the need for the FortiVPN client.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Comedy answer: just expose guacamole to the internet.

It's a rabbit whole you can go down into reverse proxies, SSL certs and some kind of SSO but I'd say a dialup client is still the simplest method. I think FortiWeb or whatever it's called does all this if you wanted to stick to a vendor solution.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

I guess the next question is where my ignorance really shows. What would be the medium for the tunnel itself? I know for our IPSec tunnels, we have to install the Fortinet VPN Client (not the full client since we don't use any of the other features), the hospital uses Cisco AnyConnect, which has to be activated and logged in to for RDP, etc to work. It's not an active site to site vpn or anything like that.

Are you using the FortiClient VPN in IPsec mode? Normally it's just used in SSL-VPN mode.

SSL-VPN mode establishes a Layer 7 tunnel using DTLS for transport. IPsec mode establishes a Layer 3 tunnel using ESP and IKE. SSL-VPN mode is far more common as it's simpler to setup and just uses TCP, usually on port 443, which most environments allow. IPsec mode is less common as it needs extra configuration on both sides and uses uncommon protocols (ESP is IP protocol 50, IKE is UDP on port 500) which are often blocked.

Either way for an end-user they should function the same. Also given this use-case split-tunnel should definitely be enabled so that only traffic destined for the RDS host is sent over the tunnel.

Gothmog1065 posted:

The request would basically be the ability to click a desktop icon on the hospital side that would open the vpn, which would bring up the remote desktop, which would allow them to complete the request.

The only way I can see this working is with a custom script/automation which when run performs the following:

1. Launches the FortiClient VPN connection dialog so the user can enter credentials and connect.
  2. Waits until the RDS server is reachable.
  3. Launches mstsc using a prepared RDP connection settings file with the RDS server details in it.

This script/automation can just be put on the desktop so users can run it like any other program.

In addition to the script/automation you'll need to configure the Start a program on connection setting via Group Policy on the RDS host so that when the user connects it fires up the Allscripts client.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I've got a tiny office(3 people) that someone else put in a lot of Cisco equipment. Switch, security gateway, 7 cameras.

They weren't really made aware that this was all a subscription deal as far as the licensing goes, and now they are looking to cut costs.

They have 5 mr enterprise licenses(these seem generic, not sure what device they represent), 1 mx68w(security gateway), 1 ms120-48lp(switch), and 7mv(camera) licenses

I'd love to tell them to drop all of this for a 3 person office, but I'd like to have at least a modicum of understanding on how meraki licensing works in case some of these licenses still have time left on them and they want to put off changing everything at once.

Are the camera's still fully functional if you swap the security gateway and 48p switch(assuming poe compatibility) with another brand or does cisco's cloud access require the gateway? What exactly are mr enterprise licenses? I assumed they represented number of employees with portal access but google mentions devices.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MR enterprise licenses are per-access point, so you should have as many of them as you have APs. Though it sounds like you don't have any APs so I'm not sure what they are doing there, are you sure they aren't MT licenses which every tenant has five of to try and get people to use Meraki sensors?

The cameras don't have a dependency on the MX gateway or MS switches.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
MR is access points in Meraki terms. You’ll have more luck searching on Meraki than Cisco, since that’s what you have.

For licensing, they have two models - co-term and per device. Per device is more popular now, but they still offer co-term. You’ll want to see which model of licensing you’re on, then you can decide from there.

In the Dashboard, check Organization (Left side) -> Configure -> License Information

It does sound like overkill for literally 3 people, but of course we don’t know what your actual costs are. Licenses are 1-1 with Meraki, you need a license for each device you have.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You’ll want to read this. https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Licensing

Both rhinonetworks and hummingbird networks are good sources for meraki license purchases when you don’t have an account rep with publicly listed prices.

Also I hope you have access to the account. If you don’t; Cisco won’t help you and you can’t claim the device without the existing holder releasing them. (Ask me about the $30k worth of Meraki gear under my desk that I have no idea do “manages”).

Rough estimate is around $100/year per AP, switch varies but around $120 for that one, and $180 for the cameras each. Most of the expenses for these come from the purchase price.

The router is the opposite and most of the costs come from licenses on the smaller models. You’ll want at least the advanced security licenses (not the enterprise) and that’s going to be $400-$600/yr based off commitment. That looks like a lot, but it’s pretty close to what a fortigate with similar licensing and online management will run you.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 12, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also don’t buy annual licenses as the multi year terms are massively better value. Here a 5-year license on a basic 48 port PoE switch is about £350, 3-year license for an AP is around £170.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Thanks guys.

Just to confirm, if they rip out everything but those 7 cameras, they can just pay for the license on those 7 cameras and will still have full access to those cameras like nothing has changed?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bobua posted:

Thanks guys.

Just to confirm, if they rip out everything but those 7 cameras, they can just pay for the license on those 7 cameras and will still have full access to those cameras like nothing has changed?

Yes. It's all licensed through the Meraki dashboard. The benefit of keeping it all is the whole single pain of glass bit. Easy to update all your poo poo from one interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you know you are only keeping the cameras then move the tenant to per-device licensing as soon as you can so that expired stuff that you leave in there by mistake doesn't shut the whole thing out