Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I recertified on my CCNA a month back, taking the single test just like the original time. It seemed harder than the first time around especially considering I've got 3 years of decent level routing and switching experience under my belt.

They sure do hit you with all the poo poo you might not commit to memory and you can find out by doing a show X or show Y. Luckily I didn't have the dreaded ISDN alphabet soup questions as I can never remember all of the position points and pieces, but I did get some ISDN questions about how to view call status etc.

The test format itself has changed a lot, I certainly don't remember the multiple answer interactive semi-sim.
I do like nitpicking their little questions though, like when you get asked in a sim to create an ACL list that blocks port 8 from IP x to IP y. Even if you do all the ACL work right you can still get to the web server from the place you arent supposed to. This made me panic a little thinking I had gotten the placement of extended vs standard ACLs mixed up, but when I reversed them I got the same results. Then to test my theory that ACLs don't get processed properly I created an ACL that would block outbound access to everything and sure enough, no change. So I set it up and away I go.
I left a little note on that question saying that I should have gotten bonus points for troubleshooting the sim to provide supporting evidence for my answer. That question made me finish with 2 minutes left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ray_ posted:

That's up to my boss. We have the electrical contract too, so they'll decide if it's cheaper to run electrical outlets or add in 48 port power injectors at each switch. I was looking at injectors by Powerdsine.

I had thought of stepping up to Catalyst 3560 switches, but they're about double the price of the 2960 switches and I can't find any with 4 SFP ports. It's cheaper to get a 2960 and a Powerdsine injector than it is to get a 3560 with PoE.

Edit: ^^ Good ideas. I will definitely be practicing before the pitch.

The 3560Gs have 4 SFP ports :)