Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Biggz posted:

policy-map WAN
class Biggz
priority percent 33
class Housemate1
priority percent 33
class Housemate2
priority percent 33[/code]

Thanks for looking this over.

Don't use 'priority', that turns on the low-latency queuing (llq) behavior, which you don't want. Packet throughput for that class above the configured LLQ rate will be dropped. You want 'bandwidth percent 33' or something similar.

However, like I mentioned previously, the problem is that these percentages are percentages of the reported interface bandwidth, which is not necessarily the actual throughput of the interface (ie., your cisco is connected to a 10mbit ethernet interface, but your cable modem will only push 6mbit, or whatever).

That's the problem with queuing on residential broadband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Biggz posted:

My WAN interface is Fast Ethernet so the percentages will split based on the speed of 100Mbit?
Yes, and that's why it's difficult to implement class-based weighted fair-queuing on residential broadband. Your best bet is to shape to what you gauge your upstream bandwidth to be through the use of generic traffic-shaping (GTS) which can be combined with CBWFQ in a nested hierarchical policy-map. However, you still have to figure out what kind of upstream bandwidth you have in order to shape to that value.

Biggz posted:

The command "bandwidth" in "int fa4" lets me set a value, but is this assumed to be the same in upstream and downstream? I have 10MBit down, and 512Kbit up. If i set that to "bandwidth 512" this would, I assume, limit the downstream to that as well.
The bandwidth command under an interface doesn't actually allocate bandwidth- it's counterintuitive, I know, but what it does is signal the dynamic routing protocols (such as EIGRP, or OSPF), to calculate certain values (in the case of EIGRP, it's one of the K values, in the case of OSPF, it's the interface cost).

Short answer, the bandwidth command isn't very useful for you.

Biggz posted:

In that case, could I get around this by giving the minimum bandwidth values as follows.

code:
policy-map WAN
class Biggz
bandwidth 100
class Housemate1
bandwidth 100
class Housemate2
bandwidth 100
I know "bandwidth 100" isn't a 1/3 each but this would give each person 100Kbit minimum each?
Here's what you do- if you know you have about 512k up, you'll artificially shape to 512,000 bits per-second with the use of Generic Traffic Shaping (GTS). Then you'll nest a class-based weighted fair-queuing policy underneath that.

This is all off the top of my head, so there's bound to be some problems with the following:

code:
class match-any biggs
 match ip access-list 150
class match-any housemate1
 match ip access-list 151
class match-any housemate2
 match ip access-list 152

access-list 150 permit ip host 192.168.1.100 any
access-list 151 permit ip host 192.168.1.102 any
access-list 151 permit ip host 192.168.1.103 any

policy-map wan
 class biggs
  band percent 33
 class housemate1 
  band percent 33
 class housemate2
  band percent 33

policy-map shaping
 class class-default
  shape peak 512000
  service-policy wan

interface fa4
 max-reserved-bandwidth 100
 service-policy out shaping
I'm pretty sure that's close enough. Once it's set up, you can use the 'show policy-map interface fa4' command to check it out and make sure stuff is hitting the correct classes. You can also use 'show traffic-shape queue' to see if anything is being queued by the GTS shaper.

edit: By the way, you realize that none of this is going to prevent one of your housemates from clobbering your downstream bandwidth, right? Once the packet is on the wire, inbound, the only decision you can really make is whether to throw it away or not. Fancy high-end gear can do inbound service-policies, but I don't think most lower end or ISR line can. Could be wrong about that, but the fact is, what you're really doing here is just ensuring that your tcp ack's make it out the door. Also, you may want to tinker with the queue depth(s), as the defaults might be too large for you (40 packets per-class sounds familiar). Also, you might want to put random-detect on each class, which can be done by adding a 'random-detect' command to each class under the 'policy-map wan section'. Before you do that, read about random-detect first.

Korensky posted:

(i forget the default maximum and the exact command - cisco.com)
I think it's the 'max-reserved-bandwidth', and it defaults to 75. I'm not sure why.

jwh fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 25, 2007

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Are you sure you don't want "ip access-group vlan2 out" instead of "in"?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It's from the perspective of the interface, if that's what you're asking, not flow direction from a nat inside / outside perspective.

edit: Also remember FTP is stupid, and active mode likes to server-initiate the data channel, which it sounds like you might be running in to. Try passive mode ftp, which is less of an abomination.

jwh fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 2, 2007

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Mierdaan posted:

Yes, our network here is 10.10.0.0/16.

How is that supposed to work when the voice network (vlan101) is a subnet of the inside interface's address space?

Wouldn't clients on the inside network just arp for 10.10.7.x hosts? Is the pix doing proxy-arp?

quote:

interface ethernet1 auto
interface ethernet1 vlan101 logical

nameif ethernet1 inside security100
nameif vlan101 Voice security90

ip address inside 10.10.2.1 255.255.0.0
ip address Voice 10.10.7.1 255.255.255.0

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

atticus posted:

Yeah that also caught my eye... technically they should both be /24's shouldn't they?

You can proxy-arp to fake it (clients in 10.10/16 arp for what they think is local, gateway responds with it's own MAC), but I don't know if proxy-arp is enabled by default on pix interfaces. It probably is, because it's been like that on IOS devices forever, but I don't know for certain. If I had to guess, it's probably enabled by default, and isn't really the problem here.

You also used to be able to set yourself as your gateway in windows, and it would cause the stack to arp for _everything_, which was pretty cool.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Herv posted:

If the clients are running a /16 subnet mask they sure as heck won't hit the gateway.
I don't know, do you think so? This is one of those weird cases; on the one hand, if the pix is doing proxy-arp by default (which is probably is), it should respond to arp requests for things on the 10.10.7/24 network, but since the "inside" interface is configured as 10.10/16, I don't know what would happen.

Pretty weird.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Don't know if anybody saw this over on Network World, but apparently Len Bosack has a start-up that's making a little 1U DWDM box. They have CLI manuals online:

http://www.xkl.com/products/product-literature

Looks kind of interesting.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Arkady posted:

The issue is why doesn't the router advertise RIP to a 192.168.0.0 network.
192.168/16 is classful /24 space, so your third octet needs to play ball with what's configured on the interface. RIPv2 is classless, but it's configuration isn't. The reason your 10/8 and 172.16/16 attempts worked, is because they were accidentally the correct classful mask.

R2#sh run | b router rip

router rip
version 2
network 192.168.0.0
^Z

R2#sh ip proto
Routing Protocol is "rip"
Outgoing update filter list for all interfaces is not set
Incoming update filter list for all interfaces is not set
Sending updates every 30 seconds, next due in 0 seconds
Invalid after 180 seconds, hold down 180, flushed after 240
Redistributing: rip
Default version control: send version 2, receive version 2
Automatic network summarization is in effect
Maximum path: 4
Routing for Networks:
Routing Information Sources:
Gateway Distance Last Update
Distance: (default is 120)

R2#sh ip rip data

R2#sh run int ser1/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 88 bytes
!
interface Serial1/0
ip address 192.168.4.26 255.255.0.0
serial restart-delay 0
end

R2#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
R2(config)#router rip
R2(config-router)#network 192.168.4.0
R2(config-router)#exit
*Jul 12 15:21:57.495: RIP: add Serial1/0 to RIP idb list
*Jul 12 15:21:57.499: RIP-DB: redist 192.168.0.0/16(metric 0, last interface Serial1/0) to RIP
*Jul 12 15:21:57.503: RIP-DB: Get redist for network 192.168.0.0
*Jul 12 15:21:57.503: RIP-DB: adding 192.168.0.0/16 (metric 0) via 0.0.0.0 on Serial1/0 to RIP database
*Jul 12 15:21:57.507: RIP-DB: add 192.168.0.0/16 (metric 0) via 0.0.0.0 on Serial1/0 (donot_age)
*Jul 12 15:21:57.511: RIP-DB: Adding new rndb entry 192.168.0.0/16
R2(config)#exit
R2#
*Jul 12 15:22:00.651: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
*Jul 12 15:22:03.675: RIP-TIMER: age timer expired
R2#
R2#sh ip rip data
192.168.0.0/16 directly connected, Serial1/0
R2#

R2(config)#access-list 1 permit any
R2(config)#exit

R2#debug ip pack 1
IP packet debugging is on for access list 1
R2#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
R2(config)#
R2(config)#int ser1/0
R2(config-if)#shut
R2(config-if)#no shut
R2(config-if)#exit
R2(config)#
*Jul 12 15:26:26.427: rip_route_adjust for Serial1/0 going down
*Jul 12 15:26:26.431: RIP: Removing everything from Serial1/0's retrans queue
and stopping the retrans timer.
*Jul 12 15:26:26.435: RIP-DB: flush route of 192.168.0.0/16 on Serial1/0
*Jul 12 15:26:26.435: RIP-DB: Remove 192.168.0.0/16, (metric 4294967295) via 0.0.0.0, Serial1/0(permanent)
*Jul 12 15:26:26.563: RIP-DB: redist 192.168.0.0/16(metric 0, last interface Serial1/0) to RIP
*Jul 12 15:26:26.563: RIP-DB: Get redist for network 192.168.0.0
*Jul 12 15:26:27.047: RIP-DB: redist 192.168.0.0/16(metric 0, last interface Serial1/0) to RIP
*Jul 12 15:26:27.051: RIP-DB: Get redist for network 192.168.0.0
*Jul 12 15:26:27.051: RIP-DB: adding 192.168.0.0/16 (metric 0) via 0.0.0.0 on Serial1/0 to RIP database
*Jul 12 15:26:27.055: RIP-DB: add 192.168.0.0/16 (metric 0) via 0.0.0.0 on Serial1/0 (donot_age)
*Jul 12 15:26:27.059: rip_route_adjust for Serial1/0 coming up
*Jul 12 15:26:27.063: IP: s=192.168.4.26 (local), d=224.0.0.9 (Serial1/0), len 52, sending broad/multicast
*Jul 12 15:26:27.067: RIP: sending request on Serial1/0 to 224.0.0.9

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Arkady posted:

I'm still not entirely sure why doesn't the router recognise the 192.168.4.26 interface in the 192.168 /16 network. Are you saying that even though the network is /16, the interface is being recognised with the /24 mask?
Also, what debug command did you use?
Still, the solution you suggested works perfectly. Thank you very much.

Well, I'm no expert, particularly on RIP, but from what I was able to test in a lab, the reason IOS didn't pick up on the fact that you had an interface covered by the 192.168.0.0 statement, is because the RIP configuration is approaching things with a classful mentality. This seems to make a certain sense if you consider that RIPv1 was a classful protocol, and maybe for historical reasons, the IOS configuration was never retrofitted.

So in other words, it looks to me like IOS uses the RIP network statement along classful boundaries. Even though your interface is technically 'covered' by the larger supernet of 192.168.0.0/16, IOS is considering 192.168.0.0 classfully, which would match the 192.168.0 portion of the network, because 192.168 is part of class C or /24 classful address space.

That's my theory anyway, it seems to be true, even if it is a little brain-dead on the part of IOS.

Debugging commands were 'debug ip rip event' and 'debug ip rip database' I think, and then the 'debug ip packet' example that's included in the text I wrote. Be careful with debug ip packet, because I have successfully killed production devices with it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Jeff73 posted:

I'm buying a doberman. :colbert:

How about some of these? http://www.speedysigns.com/signs/DANGER_High_Voltage.asp

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Jeff73 posted:

Interesting. I suspect I'd need to buy a version that doesn't require reading. By the way, did 8.0(2)'s VPN VLAN support resolve your default route problem a few pages back?
Sadly, no. New ASA code provides VLAN tagging and enforcement to remote-access VPN client traffic on the inside, but the ASA only has a monolithic routing table, so it doesn't make much sense (that I can tell).

In other words, you can drop users into vlans on the inside no problem, but good luck getting them out of there with any intelligence.

We've scrapped the ASA's for now, and are looking to do vpn remote-access termination with an IOS based platform and new PA-VSA or whatever the successor to the VAM2+ is.

IOS is much smarter at routing than ASA, which is to be expected, so it's a good fit. Ultimately, we just needed VRF capabilities. I've labbed the entire thing out, and we'll be going to a phase 2 limited production deployment soon. There are still a few issues, namely IOS vtemplate manager not reclaiming cloned virtual-access interfaces all the time, and IP local pools not always being freed up when a client disconnects unexpectedly- pool IP's show tied up by IKE hwidb's.

Anyway, speaking of spanning-tree, when is it worth going to MST? I'm not much of a spanning-tree wizard, and currently we're toting around somewhere in the neighborhood of ~100 vlans on our most critical trunks, but with a collapsed distribution/access model and vtp pruning enabled. Everything right now is PVST, but we're not utilizing per-vlan cost features. Worth considering MST at this point?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

XakEp posted:

So here's a question. I'm dinking with getting an 1811 and getting a second Internet connection, one DSL the other Cable. Whats the best way to load balance between the two interfaces? CEF or what?

Check out OER: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6628/products_ios_protocol_option_home.html

That's actually a good price for the 2620. A WIC-1DSU-T1 version one or two is still fairly expensive to begin with.

You won't have access to 12.4 IOS, but that's probably fine.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

All I know about OER is what I found in the design doc "Cisco IOS Optimized Edge Routing Configuration Guide, Release 12.4T". I haven't used it myself.

OER is one of those things that's apparently new enough to not work correctly unless you stumble upon the one IOS image that was broken in such a way as to accidentally fix it.

Are you running OER MC/BR on a single router, or distributed?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

inignot posted:

The problem is that if you have an ethernet connection to an external dsl or cable modem, that interface isn't going to go down when the dsl or cable service does.

Ugh, this is the thing I hate the most about cable/dsl. We have a deployed base of about 100 broadband sites, and we can't use our standard monitoring packages to detect link failure, because the link doesn't typically go down.

I don't understand why cable/dsl modems can't be configured to down the ethernet side if the cable/dsl side is down. It would make life so much easier.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

inignot posted:

I'm driving to RTP tomorrow. :ninja:

Good luck! Routing and switching?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I have yet to encounter a firewall that didn't make me at least partially irate. I don't like my PIX 501, and I didn't like the ASA's, although they're markedly better to work with. I'm not too crazy about NetScreen's either.

We're a big CheckPoint shop, and I don't even like them very much come to think of it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Checkpoint has a few good things going for it, and a truckload of bad things going for it. The logging is nice, although it doesn't scale well- lots of enforcement modules logging thousands upon thousands of entries per day with nightly rotation can make scouring through logs late in the evening a real chore. You can rotate out faster, but that means having to pull up hourly chunks of data at a time.

There's also the issue of the object database, which is a tremendous source of entropy.

My biggest problem with Checkpoint is that it's sugar-coated to appear easy to use, but the underlying mechanisms are obscure, unnecessarily complicated, and potentially disastrous. Anybody could add a few rules to a Checkpoint policy, but if the enforcement module croaks on you, or the policy corrupts, you are in a nightmare world of suffering.

There's also the issue of Checkpoint not naming anything sensibly. SmartView Dashboard is the policy tool, for instance. Recently Checkpoint decided to screw around with their code train names, leading to nonsense like "RG62 NGX," whatever the christ that is.

Oh well, at least the Nokia IP series boxes are pretty painless, even if the routing engines leave something to be desired.

I want to like the PIX, but it just never feels right. It seems like the 7.x code is trying to make things more like IOS, which is a good thing, but it's still just different enough to irritate the living hell out of me.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

Are they honest-to-god real Cisco cards? We've had 3 out of a 4-card purchase of WIC-T1-V2's and that's pretty much because they're all cheap chinese counterfeit WICs

Are they WIC-1T's, or WIC-1DSU-T1?

Apparently there are a lot of counterfit WIC-1DSU-T1's around, especially the V1's with the four big Taiwanese capacitors.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Does anyone have any experience with the NM form factor WLC's?

We're looking into a big wireless deployment for our customer associations, and while I'm not on the project myself, I'm trying to stay ahead of what's being proposed. Cisco came in and proposed WiSMs, but they would trash our customer security model, so the revised proposal is for a boatload of NM WLC's and 140 site ISR fork-lift upgrades :(

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

And right after that NHRP PSIRT notice went out. :tinfoil:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Should work I think, is the WIC known good?

What's 'sh inventory raw' say about the WIC?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Not exactly a Cisco item, but ouch:

08/13/2007,13:35:39 [RoBo ][PROG][PROGRESS/STATUS MESSAGE FROM AT&T]
There are 128 Core T3??s failed of which 100 are restored in Palm Springs, CA (LSANCA03 PHNXAZMA). The AT&T T3 Group has isolated this to a fiber cut in Palm Springs, CA. There is no ETTR available at this time.

That has to be a bad day for somebody.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Paul Boz_ posted:

Dude could I paypal you the money for a 2500 with wic slot? That is, if that place isn't too far out of the way.

They're not regular WICs, you know that, right?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Arkady posted:

I've read that FAQ, but from my understanding all it does is override the COS with a different value, not strip it. Meaning I'd still be left with a COS value, be it 0, or something else. Am I wrong in this?

The problem I'm having is one of the propriety devices on the network, a router of sorts, dropping all packets tagged with COS. This problem is being worked on a system level, but I was hoping to find an networking solution in the meanwhile.

You can't strip the 802.1p bits out of the frame- it's either there as part of the 802.1q header, or not there at all. At least, that's my understanding.

What if you connect the router-like device to a port configured as static access?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Analog LED posted:

I'm curious, who here has dealt with TAC and how are they with solving your issues?

I deal with the TAC pretty often, as I'm sure most everybody else here does. I thought we even had a few people here that work in TAC.

I'd say they're good at solving issues overall; there's occasionally problems relating to where your case is being worked from, versus where you are, which can lead to some delays in communicating, but on the whole they're a good group to work with. They've always been top-notch smart once you get your issue routed to the right group, at least in my experience.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

RabidFox posted:

When the hardware based packet router gets overloaded it goes to the software based one, which blows balls, btw.
Aren't 2600 and 2800 series software CEF only? What hardware are you talking about?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

I managed to get OER working on a 3640 with a T1 and DSL interface.

Can you share sanitized configs, as well as which IOS image you're using? I'd love to see what you came up with.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

R1CH posted:

Is there any way to adjust DHCP client retries / timeouts on a Cisco 871W?

Can you hard code the ID? I think there's an option for that. There's an option for hard-coding some client identifier, although it might not be the one you need.

I haven't seen any options to tune the dhcp client, sadly.

For that matter, why is your ISP so slow to reply to your request? Fifteen seconds is a long time.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

No! YOU MUST PAY ME FOR IT!!! MUA HAH AH AHHAHAHHA...

(yeah - just gotta grab it from the router some how, and I seem to have locked myself out of telnet over the DSL interface :P )

I'm prepared to offer you all of my returnable beer bottles, shipped at your expense, plus a cat. You can choose a grey cat, or an orange one. That is my final offer.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but Cisco came back to me finally and told me that, more or less, "IPSec client VPN termination against IOS is an afterthought," and that the recommended platform for client VPN termination is an ASA.

Well, no kidding, I'd love to use my two ASA5540's, since I already paid for them. Problem is, they have no VRF capabilities, and that's what I need.

So as near as I can tell, Cisco's remote access VPN offering can be described as follows:

PIX/ASA: Platform of choice, provided you don't need VRF termination
IOS: Sort of an afterthought; you get VRF termination, but lose most other features.

AT&T does large-scale virtualized VPN termination; what the hell are they using?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ashgromnies posted:

Where can I learn this stuff/suggestions?

IPSec is the collection of protocols commonly brought to use as 'VPN'.

IOS is the operating system of Cisco routers and switches.

ASA is Cisco's 'Adaptive Security Appliance', which is more or less the successor to the PIX, which had been Cisco's security product.

The best way to learn is probably to read, ask questions, and then read some more.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Tremblay posted:

6k/7ks with VPN-SPAs I think. I understand you need VRF support but what other features are you looking to implement that IOS doesn't provide for RA?

EDIT: I'm not a VPN eng but I'll do what I can to help.

I appreciate it; I'm finding remote access VPN on IOS (ie., Easy VPN with Dynamic Virtual Tunnel Interfaces: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6635/products_white_paper0900aecd803645b5.shtml ), to work great, except with respect to control and administration.

This makes sense, like I mention, because IOS is focused on site-to-site VPN configurations, and user VPN termination isn't as feature-rich as it is on the PIX/ASA.

Some of the issues I've run into include not having any correlation between cloned virtual-access interfaces and the user that it's been cloned for, and a general clumsiness with administration- for instance, if I don't know who's on what interface, it's difficult to troubleshoot remote access problems. Things like 'show crypto session' don't produce any information about which user is occupying which crypto socket, either.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why the limitations are there, and I'm well aware that I'm operating outside the norm on this one. I guess my dream, would be for the ASA to receive full VRF support, with it's full range of VPN features intact, or for IOS to receive remote access VPN administration improvements.

edit: By clumsiness, I mean things like not sending the virtual-access information as part of radius data, as either Cisco VSA or NAS-Port.

jwh fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 24, 2007

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Going through the 12.4(15)T release notes pdf, and there's some neat stuff worth mentioning:

Beginning in 12.4(11)T, apparently the ISR IP Base line gets BGP, and BGP support in Advanced Security as well. Wish that had happened last year, since we bought about 90 IOS upgrade licenses from Advanced Security to Advanced IP Services.

ISR's get BFD

SSL VPN VRF integration (which sounds good).

Rommon booting from usbflash.

Bunch of AToM junk

I only have two routers running 12.4(15)T, because they need to do Active Directory password changes via RADIUS, which is also a new feature, but so far it's been pretty swell.

PDF is here: http://cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps8258/c1161/cdccont_0900aecd80679ce3.pdf

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

InferiorWang posted:

What is the general opinion on refurbed cisco gear? Seeing as I work for a not for profit shop, is refurbished equipment, specifically a 45xx series core switch, a bad idea?

Can you put the refurbished switch under smartnet? If so, it sounds like it would be fine.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

jwh posted:

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but Cisco came back to me finally and told me that, more or less, "IPSec client VPN termination against IOS is an afterthought," and that the recommended platform for client VPN termination is an ASA.

AT&T does large-scale virtualized VPN termination; what the hell are they using?

Just figured I'd come back and mention that after a conference call with Cisco last week, I've been told that AT&T does in fact use SPA's for their virtualized remote-access stuff, as someone had suggested.

Also, I was told that remote-access VPN on an IOS based platform isn't really a bad idea, provided you a). know what you're doing, b)., need the router functionality not presently available in the ASA code, or c). need fantastically huge pps (ala VPN SPA).

Needless to say, I feel a little better. At least I don't feel like I'm teetering on the edge of the cliff.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Help me out here guys, I'm having a bit of a problem.

I spent the weekend bringing up a second 6509 in one of our datacenters, and redoing all of our access switches. All of the access switches now have trunks to both core switches (clearly this is a fascinating new idea that is going to change the way the industry thinks about switching).

Everything's gone great, generally, except for one older 4510R running an older IOS image (12.2(18)EW).

Whenever rapid spanning-tree is enabled on the 4510, it works fine for a while, and then suddenly whole vlans will stop forwarding for between five and thirty seconds. Then everything goes back to normal, and there's no indication of what might have happened. Spanning-tree debugging doesn't indicate a root bridge change, and I've disconnected all redundant trunks to this switch, but the problem persists.

Since it's Monday morning now, and this is an end-user facing switch, I had to disable spanning tree entirely to stop the problem, but that isn't tenable in the long run.

I've already opened a Sev3 with the tac, but I'm just wondering if anybody has any thoughts, or has run into anything weird like this. I'm not very layer-2 savvy, so it's entirely possible I'm just doing something stupid.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

inignot posted:

Sounds like some obscure code issue. I dunno, try upgrading the code and see what happens. Other then that, try running the same debugs on whatever the 4510 is uplinked to.

Yeah, it's looking like a code issue- at least, that's my read on it. We didn't have time to try and upgrade the code before I had to get on the airplane, unfortunately. Oh well, they can run with a single trunk for a while.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

Personally I use the Keyspan one, but that's because I use a macbook pro, and it was the only compatible one on the market at the time I bought it.

What serial console software do you use? I have an older G4 PowerBook that I wouldn't mind carrying around instead of my heavier Dell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ILikeVoltron posted:

Anybody have any ideas why this is happening?

Each side has a different dot1q native vlan, causing spanning tree to receive BPDU's into the wrong VLAN.

Make sure both sides are configured as dot1q trunks with the same native vlan.