Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Can someone confirm or deny this (latter preferred :gonk: )?

I've been too lazy to touch the ICND portion of the CCNA yet, but the INTRO portion as of Dec 06 was verbatim from the newest version of the Cisco Press books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
What is the typical order in which to tackle the CCNP? I've read that BSCI is a good starting point, but looking for other input.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
What do you guys think is a good second step on CCNP after BCMSN? I'm set to take that in a week or so and I'm completely indecisive on where to go after it.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Any opinions on ASA codebase 8.x versus 7.2.X? Lately the 7.2.X has been going nuts, but I'm not sure if the 8.X is stable enough for production usage.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

mamboman posted:

I've got a weird VPN hairpinning problem on an ASA 5540.

[config]

Help?

Run it through packet-tracer. Although what an issue may be is a same-interface routing issue, as ASA's dislike sending packets back out the same int it received it on. Also note - technically a VPN client is considered to live on the outside interface. But really, packet-tracer is your new best friend.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

mamboman posted:

Ok. I kinda found what the problem was (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a0080734db7.shtml) and i needed to put something in the ACL.

But now I get IPSEC Spoof Detected when running packet-trace

Thats fine, its because the ASA treats it like a real packet - without any flow, or sequence numbers it assumes someone is running a packet-injection attack on you.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

atticus posted:

I've just tried it on at least 3 of our production routers (2800s) and I get the same results. I tried it on two 6509's and two 3750 stacks and it works fine. What's the platform that you're having success on at work?

It seems that 2800's with switch WIC cards work with Show int status.
flash:c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T2.bin which is a 2811 modular router it works on, while a 2811 with the same code version but without a switchcard does not have that functionality.

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 30, 2007

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

mamboman posted:

Hm, well the ping still doesn't work.

Post the packet-trace for both directions (client to remote network, and vice versa)

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ionn posted:

The L2 switch interface modules work with "sh int status", since that is switch hardware. The built-in "real" FastEthernet interfaces aren't present in the output, are they?

Correct. Since it's strictly a switch-based command, only the linecard ports are displayed in the output.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Smegmatron posted:

Is it possible to have two default routes with different metrics?

The situation I'm looking at is where two internet links are being terminated on separate routers and there needs to be some automatic redundancy in the event of one going down.

They're both on the same internal subnet, so I was hoping I could get away with assigning a default route pointing down the internet link, and then another default route with a higher metric pointing at the other router.

Is there a better solution in this case?

This is usually done in the case of a backup WAN connection by using a floating static route. Basically the default route is learned via a dynamic routing protocol and a backup static route is put in place with a high metric. That static 'floats' until the dynamic one goes away and then becomes active.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
My impression of internap is quite positive. I cannot speak for their path selection, but diversity in paths between data centers in Chicago seems to be a strong suit of theirs. That and their knee-jerk reactions whenever they notice the line down, I was still in the process of configuring two routers and when I reloaded it we got a call asking if everything was alright.

Impressed me.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I am experiencing an issue where any RADIUS authentication calls that run through an ASA 5520 are coming back as false negatives. The device queries the RADIUS server, gets an affirmative response back (confirmed on the IAS server), yet states authentication denied. This is consistent across platforms and models. Is there something in the ASA itself that I am missing? This only is causing problems for devices that run through the firewall, anything that lives on the switches are fine.

Static translations are being utilized to give the device access to the RADIUS server, so the return traffic isn't being NAT'd back to the device.

Anyone run into this before?

Edit, I should add that packet-tracers run clean as it talks to the IAS server just fine.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
wanted to update this, I ran a capture outbound on those interfaces and the traffic was getting PAT'd to the interface even though an existing (inbound) flow was present. The device was rejecting the RADIUS call because it received a response from a device it did not try to contact, or in this case, the PAT'd address of a server it did not contact.

I cleared out the static translations and put them back in and the RADIUS auths ran clean. Chalk that up to a crazy bug, this was on 7.2.3-18.

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 3, 2008

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Tremblay posted:

It sounds like you have a static that overlaps with a dynamic PAT policy. If that is the case then all bets are off.

No dynamic PAT policies or route map craziness going on. It was just a bug that was fixed with re-entering the static translations.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

legalcondom posted:

Stuff

Here's how I envision your physical cabling:

Use a L2 vlan to terminate the ISP handoffs into the switches, then out to the router (outside interface). Use a different L2 vlan to terminate the return-cabling (router inside interface) into the switches.

You can then run an HSRP (or VRRP) group on the router-inside interfaces since they can both talk on the same L2 vlan and send their heartbeats etc etc. That's just a simple interface-level command of:

standby (a_number) ip x.x.x.x
standby (a_number) priority (0-255)
standby (a_number) preempt

Post your interface configs for the firewall network that is working and the firewall network that is not, as well as the ports that connect to the firewall so we don't start running down the wrong path in troubleshooting.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
The cisco ccnp ONT book is pretty good about WLCs and LWAPPs. Honestly though just toy around with the gear, I find it far easier to learn that way.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

jwh posted:

Can you have somebody fund a pilot ahead of time? We just got a lot of Cisco's lightweight wireless stuff in a few months back, and I haven't been very impressed. If you're only buying a single controller, be advised the 2106 will only support 5 AP's I think, and only provides PoE on two of it's 8 ports.

Additionally, be advised that if you have a reason to support more than a dozen controllers, you almost have to start looking at WCS, which is a real big ticket item, and also it's very own obnoxious pain in the rear end.

Not to nit-pick but 2106 will do 6 APs and yes has 2 PoE ports. However you can jam the AP into any old PoE switch and as long as its vlan is trunked across your network that AP can live wherever it needs to be. So you don't have to be restricted by the 2 PoE rule.

For small offices, I am a big fan of the 2106 - however WCS is both awesome and expensive, not exactly in the small/mid market space.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

loosewire posted:

Quick question

using Redundant Supervisor 32's in a 6513 is it possible to run an ethernet connection from both supervisors inbuilt wired ethernet ports to an identical unit and have them both work at the same time (i.e a gigabit etherchannel) or will it only work with the active supervisor ?

If I read this right - you want to etherchannel a port on each supervisor to another 6513? If so - yes that works. Blades 5 and 6 are each respective SUP720 (and a fiber port).

Port-channel: Po1
------------

Age of the Port-channel = 67d:06h:11m:16s
Logical slot/port = 14/1 Number of ports = 3
GC = 0x00010001 HotStandBy port = null
Port state = Port-channel Ag-Inuse
Protocol = PAgP
Fast-switchover = disabled

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index Load Port EC state No of bits
------+------+------+------------------+-----------
1 49 Gi4/24 Desirable-Sl 3
2 92 Gi5/2 Desirable-Sl 3
0 24 Gi6/2 Desirable-Sl 2

Time since last port bundled: 67d:05h:53m:42s Gi4/24
Time since last port Un-bundled: 67d:05h:54m:01s Gi4/24

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

brent78 posted:

words... ipsec tunnel between two Cisco 3825's... words

nevermind, just read IPSEC tunnel, not metro ethernet like I thought.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

brent78 posted:

The two connect over metro ethernet... if that matter or not.

I was going to say crank the MTU and window-size for the servers way up if you control the entire metro run. Basically you can kind of fake what a Bluecoat box does.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

jwh posted:

If you connect two networks with a PIX or ASA, and you configure the interfaces with the same security level, will the PIX route between the two networks without explicit NAT configuration? I've never had reason to try to do it.

With same-security-traffic permit inter-interface and/or same-security-traffic permit intra-interface you can. Otherwise no.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

XakEp posted:

I've got a 3524XL thats giving me grief. I cannot figure this one out. All the ports are in Vlan1, and there are no other vlans. The devices can pull an IP address from the PIX firewall, but they cant ping each other or see each other at all. They can get out to the internet with no problems. Ideas?

I'd say the best way to troubleshoot this would be to change the vlan to something arbitrary like 40, like jwh said about private vlans. I was going to suggest incomplete arp entries on the mac-address-table but if the PIX gave it an IP I don't think that applies.

Is vlan1 a layer 3 network different from what the PIX gave out? The only thing I can think of is that the addresses attempt to find each other but they cannot find a gateway. Try something that floods native layer 2 broadcasts (like a chatty domain controller) and see if they show up on the other hosts' wireshark logs.

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 14, 2008

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I'm personally a fan of Kiwi CatTools and Syslog.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Straylight posted:

How about a simpler (stupid) question:

No VLAN trunking means that devices on one VLAN cannot talk to devices on another VLAN, correct? If VLANs require special setup on a user's computer, when a user connects to a public wireless network that is on its own VLAN but the user's computer has not been set up to see virtual interfaces, what happens?

Also, repeating a question from above, is a DMZ really necessary?

No vlan trunking means that multiple vlans' traffic cannot be passed over a single link. What you are referring to is the function a L3 switch or a router, assuming the router has a L3 interface for that vlan.

Usually VLAN tagging is done on the switch, with the specific ports being designated to the various VLANs. It is technically possible to tag it on the device but that is rather unheard of.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
:edit: don't do PFS, I only read a snippet about the group, not the pfs = no portion of SWAN.

It looks to me like SWAN is trying to do PFS from the medina config
code:
conn Medina
	ike = 3DES-MD5-MODP1024
	pfsgroup = MODP1024
Set up pfs on your crypto map statements, also I saw no match statement for interesting traffic for the tunnel.

code:
[strike]crypto map dyn-map set pfs[/strike]
crypto map dyn-map match [[match ACL goes here]]
This is based off pix/asa 7.x code though so the syntax may be different for 6.x and below.

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 7, 2008

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Bank posted:

Our company has a small lab that only a couple of people have access to. I'm looking to be part of this group, and one of the main things they need to get done is to reset a password for their Cisco 1800 series router. The previous lab owner recently left, so they'd like to keep a backup of the configuration in case things go south.

I found this link here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_password_recovery09186a0080094773.shtml

and it looks very straightforward, but I'm having trouble just connecting to the box. I tried a regular RJ45 cable and a crossover cable, but no go. I believe I need a "rollover" cable, RJ45 to RJ45, as my laptop doesn't have a serial port. I tried searching around some bigbox stores but they don't seem to have it in stock. Anyone know if Fry's will keep something like this in stock? The closest one is 30 miles away from me..

Other than that, is there anything else I should be looking out for when trying to reset the password? Will the configuration get blown out if I follow the instructions in the link, or will it stay?

Personally what I use is a USB/serial converter device that I then plug the rollover cable into. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107108 for example. Don't mess around with ethernet jacks and console cables it's just a mess.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I've recently been tasked with investigating multicasting as a routable solution. There are 3 main sites and the idea is to route multicast traffic between all 3 sites (that are all interconnected) over point-to-point links.

Is there anything crazy I need to be aware of? From what I've researched it looks like MOSPF (ospf w/multicast) seems to be the solution. It's basically the same as rigging PVST+ with regards to segregating flow patterns.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

CrazyLittle posted:

Get this one - it's cheaper and it's Vista compatible:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156003

Agreed, thats the actual one I use. Googling newegg serial usb converter lied! But look out if you lose the mini driver CD, its ridiculous to find them online.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Girdle Wax posted:

It seems like the de-facto mcast protocol (assuming you're running cisco kit everywhere) is pim sparse. Other than that the only option I'm aware of is DVMRP as Cisco doesn't support MOSPF/CBT. Or you can also carry mcast in MBGP.

The netcraftsmen papers have a pretty good basic coverage to get you up to speed with the various protocols and concepts: http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/multicast01.html

I looked up the pim sparse settings with declaring the match statement akin to a crypto map and setting the interfaces to flood the traffic out. Is there much more to it than that?

Thank you for the links, will dive through those tonight.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Girdle Wax posted:

If it has the ssh client feature:
code:
>ssh ?
  -c    Select encryption algorithm
  -l    Log in using this user name
  -m    Select HMAC algorithm
  -o    Specify options
  -p    Connect to this port
  -v    Specify SSH Protocol Version
  WORD  IP address or hostname of a remote system

To add onto Girdle Wax's comment, if you can SSH into a device you can SSH out of it.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Weissbier posted:

Thanks for the info on SSH.

Can you SSH from an ASA? If I putty into our ASA from home using SSH, how can I access the internal switches?

ASA commands are all different :(

No you cannot and that is intentional. What is recommended is to create Remote Access VPN profiles and use those to gain internal network connectivity. This is because of the multi-interface functionality of the ASA and the desire to enforce the ingress/egress interface policies. Also it's just bad form in general, because if you're having to hop through your firewall there's problems abound anyway :)

We can paste scripts for that if so desired.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

H110Hawk posted:

I'm having an oddball problem with a port on our 6748-GE-TX w/ 6700 CFC line card in our 6509 chassis (Sup720-3BXL) when connected to a 4948 switch running the standard image.

We have it in a 4 port etherchannel, both sides configured identically using the range command. When the ports are connected, the 6509 side just blinks slowly green/off, nothing in logs, and it always makes me nervous to turn those on debugging/logging on that switch. The other side shows nothing, turned on all event logging for that interface and nothing comes up in the logs. Changed ports on the 6748 and it links up just fine.

I suspect the port is simply hosed. Ideas?

code:
!
interface Port-channel5
 description nav-core01
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 102,200
 switchport mode trunk
end

!
interface GigabitEthernet1/48
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 102,200
 switchport mode trunk
 media-type rj45
 channel-group 5 mode desirable
end

IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I9S-M), Version 12.2(25)EWA11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

As a matter of habit I never let DTP have a crack at anything, as there's no need to negotiate ever between what I would assume is the core switch and a top-of-rack distribution switch. What happens when you change it to 'channel-group 5 mode on' ?

I realize that moving physical ports works for you but I'm curious as to the result.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

atticus posted:

DTP != aggregation protocols used for Etherchannel.

H110Hawk,

I suggest you try "show etherchannel 5 summary" as you bring up the interfaces so you can monitor the port-states for the ports in Po5 from an etherchannel perspective.

I'd also suggest running "debug etherchannel events" on the 6500 and the relevant equivalent command on the 4948. Everyone likes to freak out about debug commands, but certain ones aren't as bad as others and are completely invaluable troubleshooting tools.

Wow, I dunno why I called that DTP, but my question remains. Why allow it to negotiate instead of forcing the port bundling?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

Thanks for the info.

In continuing my questions, how do you all utilize the sh mac-address-table command? I understand what it does, I just haven't (yet) run into a day to day scenario when I would need to use it. Can you show me how it helps you? Thanks

Tracking down which access (edge) switch a user and their associated IP address is plugged into from the core. Basically comparing arp / mac-add table and hopping around out various uplinks until you find the access switch/port that the user is in.

This obviously doesn't work from a routed perspective but on local segments it is very helpful.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Internal IP: 10.0.1.22
ports: 80 (HTTP); 51413; I can figure the rest out from that
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp any host PUBLIC_IP eq 80
access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp any host PUBLIC_IP eq 51413

access-group outside_access_in in int outside

static (inside,outside) PUBLIC_IP 10.0.1.22 netmask 255.255.255.255

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

I learned recently that some organizations are moving towards a security setup involving a Mars box, IPS module for the ASA, and the Cisco Security Agent.

Can anyone chime in on how good this setup is for security? Is it all Cisco marketing or the future golden age of security? Thanks

I've seen this setup implemented - mostly in financial settings. Personally speaking I think it is a bit overkill, since MARS does the job of the IDS in the ASA anyway.

The latest version of CSA apparently has horrible problems with heuristic pattern matching (ex: XXX-XX-XXXX aka SSN's). Lots of false positives.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

One more question. What is everyone using to backup router/switch configs? We have so many at this point, that manually copying them to a tftp server is an administrative nightmare.

I did some checking and found Kiwi Cat tools will do the job, but I'm not sure if management would make the purchase. Is this a good product? Are there any others? Thanks

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm a big fan of Kiwi (Cat Tools and Syslog). Its what - $395? Yes you can script stuff out yourself but why bother, that's not much to mess with for the ease and config comparisons you get emailed to you.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

The Beavis posted:

I'm currently looking at the ASA 5500 line (specifically the 5510 or 5520) and interested in the CSC-SSM module, which does "Content Security" (i.e. anti-spam, anti-virus, etc).

Does anyone have experience with this module? Is it even worth getting? I'm sure rolling my own solution behind the ASA might be better, but I might end up doing both. However, I'm not entirely convinced about this module, thoughts?

I compared this module + ASA to Websense + ASA and ended up going with the Websense combo. I like the trilogy of Websense + Antivirus + MXLogic for content security (and Cisco Secure Agent if youre all about data leakage).

The rationale was future expansion in the 4ge expansion port, as well as licensing costs. Websense came ahead on $$.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

The Beavis posted:

Thanks for the info. What sort of tests did you perform on the CSC-SSM?

Cost aside, is it useful at all? It's not likely that I'll use the expansion port and the costs are well within my budget.

To be completely honest - if your target enterprise doesn't already have virus protection and spam protection, you already have bigger problems than which card to shove into your ASA.

For testing we did none, the target implementation was a financial institution who was concerned about inbound virus/spam and data leakage/improper web surfing/protocol usage (IMs, https proxies etc).

Post what you're trying to accomplish and in what industry/setting/executive mandate and we can all talk it over.

CSC-SSM isn't completely useless, it just did not fit into the requirements I listed above.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

inignot posted:

As it's been told to me, a PIX isn't a router. It has multiple interfaces, and it has a routing table, but it won't "route" traffic from one interface to another. Forwarding traffic between interfaces is accomplished via the nat translation statements, even if they aren't used to alter a source or destination address.

But I'm no PIX expert either.

You're half right. The device will route traffic, but it must also pass the ACL and NAT / security-level conditions as well.

Edit: I'm approaching this from an ASA perspective, so apologies if pre-7 code PIX act differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

One more thing that is more an irritant.

I upgraded the IOS on one switch to one that supported SSHv2. I'm anal retentive and wanted to clean up (delete) the old .BIN.

I ended up having to delete what seemed like a ton of files/directories....HTML...Info, etc. Is there a simpler way to delete all those directories without having to CD into the directory and delete each file, then CD out to delete the directory? Thanks

delete /all /recursive flash:/foldername