Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Docjowles posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress is going on with Vyatta these days? I went to download the latest OS image from Brocade (we have support) as I usually do, but it's gone and the product is labeled End-of-support and End-of-engineering. Nothing is available to download. Apparently the IP was sold to AT&T this summer, but I can't find any way to get anything Vyatta-related from them yet. Is it just in limbo now?

Thanks Ants posted:

It's AT&T so they probably have a plan for supporting existing customers that looks a lot like "lol go gently caress yourself".

Brocade got acquired by Broadcomm who split up the company and sold off the pieces. AT&T bought Vyatta (IP and team) as part of their internal efforts to build out their SDN offerings. IE "Brocade vRouter" is going dark for internal use by AT&T. Perhaps a handful of Brocade's biggest customers w/ shared customer relationships with AT&T got some sweetheart insider contracts but that's pure speculation. Everyone else is simply getting dumped. AT&T has no plans to offer licensing or support for Vyatta.

Your next closest option is going to be VyOS, or perhaps the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have a support contract then surely somebody has an obligation to continue to support the product, or credit you back for the term that you can't use? Or is this a "yeah try suing AT&T if you want" moment?

They waited out pretty much everyone's support terms and/or did not renew contracts before the sale

96 Port Hub posted:

I just set up VyOS on a VM in my home lab to handle all the network traffic for both my lab and general household use. I was pretty impressed with how easy it was and totally think that it would be worth considering an enterprise support contract if it fits your needs. Depending on how quickly you need to update you might want to wait until 1.2 which I believe will change the routing daemon being used away from quagga or whatever it was that vyatta used.

Vyatta 5 used Quagga, Vyatta 6.x moved over to ZebOS
VyOS uses Quagga
EdgeOS uses ZebOS.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 8, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

MF_James posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

it's loving terrible

:same:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

MF_James posted:

Yeah, I'd recommend Adtran's, that's what we use.

Same. Also helps that their support is still good and not run by idiots.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

Any specific model recommendations on the Adtran side? It's hard to determine exactly which are the lowest end models in their scheme and I only really know the TA600 and TA900 series.

Single T1 data to ethernet?
Total Access 904 #4212904L1
Total Access 600R #4203600L1

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
In other news, LibreNMS is pretty damned nice.

My secret shame:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Also fun fact, most (all) optical transport carriers, like Cisco, Ciena and that one that starts with "A" Adtran maybe? have modern TDM equipment that you can buy today. It's going away, but it'll be a LONG time before it goes away.

Yep. Adtran's still a major player in TDM space. Just look at the cards that get deployed at the CPE side.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ragzilla posted:

There was HSSI back before port adapters with built in CSUs. But that was a 50 pin SCSI-2 connector not RJ45.

Yeah a classic T3 non-coaxial is 25 pairs

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

unknown posted:

I've seen people want to terminate 1G on just about anything that has a 1G network port, which includes things like your cheap home router/nat boxes and then blame the ISP.

Very much this. The ISP like Verizon and AT&T U-Verse don't give a poo poo about what you plug in for the home-game gig links because they can just tell you to gently caress off. Business links carry SLAs and guarantees, so they're going to make sure they stack the cards so that it's likely to work without issues.

SamDabbers posted:

If you're just doing basic layer 3 forwarding between routed ports and/or SVIs, then just about any commodity L3 switch that does static routing should be able to do it at line speed. It should be fine as long as you don't expect to do any filtering, logging, non-static routing, or anything that may hit the CPU at all.

This too - The minute anything goes wrong, you'll need some diagnostic info and a managed switch doing L3 forwarding isn't going to be able to keep up.

Routers connected to ISP public internet links also reduce the switch TCAM and MAC processing/security requirements in the ISP edge network as well, since a L2/L3 switch is going to pass all the MAC addresses upstream instead of routing IP like it should when the end user forgets to actually "route" through the switch's L3 backplane. For example, AT&T's ASE offering is limited to 250 MAC addresses per EVC. UVerse gigabit IIRC is limited to one MAC connected to the ONU.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 7, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FatCow posted:

What? First off, a L3 switch will behave exactly like a router when it routes packets when it comes to MAC addresses. The MAC will only pass through to the ISP if it is switched traffic.

You're absolutely correct - assuming the end user actually configures their switch and connected clients to route and not just switch up to the network egress

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ragzilla posted:

NIMs are the future. ISR4k and ENCS both use NIM form factor.

you use a stick to install them.

cisco p/n NIM-ROD

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thanks Ants posted:

If you aren’t comfortable with what you’re doing then do not gently caress with spanning tree settings, especially on a Friday.

... Unless you enjoy working on Saturday.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Lonoxmont posted:

Thanks guys, looks like I got lucky, and all that happened was the sonicwall has to do the routing for the new range until I get all the /24 changed to /22 on the clients on my end. So everything stayed up and running, but until everything has the new hostmask it is still a bottleneck through the sonicwall (I presume). At some point I will probably get around to moving the default gateway etc where the sonicwall lives to somewhere closer to the beginning of the address space, where networking stuff should go. Not looking forward to running through all the clients again for that.

set your router to 10.1.0.0 /15

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Lonoxmont posted:

That sounds like a bad idea from a performance standpoint, from what I have been told.

Nothing magical about that subnet aside from being able to set an IP that some stupid devices won't recognize as a valid address... which it is.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I'm looking at 10/40/100gig switches and don't particularly enjoy the $20k pricepoint of Cisco Cat9500 or Arista's new generation. Anyone here use Cisco Nexus 9300, or specifically Cisco N9K-C93180YC-EX ? Any thoughts on these boxes? I probably won't need any fancy features like NAT or MPLS on them since it'll be sitting in between 2+n routers, but netflow might be a nice bonus.

Also what does Arista's grey-market support services look like? Non-existant? Can you get bug fixes / firmware patches for 7280SE's anymore?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thanks Ants posted:

Would the Juniper EX4650 work for you?

Probably? But it's also $20k

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
yeah don’t extend the LAN past “local”. I’m guessing Aruba uses bonjour or
Another broadcast/multicast announcement protocol.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm looking at 10/40/100gig switches and don't particularly enjoy the $20k pricepoint of Cisco Cat9500 or Arista's new generation. Anyone here use Cisco Nexus 9300, or specifically Cisco N9K-C93180YC-EX ? Any thoughts on these boxes? I probably won't need any fancy features like NAT or MPLS on them since it'll be sitting in between 2+n routers, but netflow might be a nice bonus.

Also what does Arista's grey-market support services look like? Non-existant? Can you get bug fixes / firmware patches for 7280SE's anymore?

say hello to my new stack

*edit* ignore the chaff that's being used as a temporary shelf. This was taken while I was still testing the hardware for faults, basic config, etc.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thanks Ants posted:

Also throw Cisco’s SMB switches away they are trash.

I was going to reply "log into the gui, unplug switch, throw into the river" but that seemed a little too snarky at the time

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ragzilla posted:

Are those the 93180s down at the bottom? Because drat if they don't look near identical to the NCS5501SE.

Yep

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
From the service provider's perspective there's no reason why they should ever route v6 space that's not theirs nor explicitly granted to them to route. Nor should they accept RA's from downstream for similar reasons.

From the client side, you could totally do two providers if you assigned v6 addresses from each provider and then let the client devices figure out the least cost route, but DHCPv6 doesn't seem to want to do multiple dynamic leases at the moment and the majority of client devices seem to be moving in that direction.

With PI space you're guaranteed that address space as long as you maintain it, and the only additional cost is some small fees from the RIR and any associated net-eng time at the ISP level.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

adorai posted:

Today I had an auditor tell me I should consider replacing my Nexus 5548UP switches because they were end of life and out of support.

"... Considered. Pass. Next?"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Boooooo hisssss

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bob Morales posted:

They are Cisco 7200’s :haw:

wha-wha-WHAT?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I mean... it's not the most elegant solution but for some switch vendors (FORCE10) it seems to be the only way to do both tagged + untagged traffic on a port with a non-native VLAN1???

What was the problem that needed this "fix"?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bob Morales posted:

The trunk ports weren’t the “fix” it was the aging.

The problem was wireless clients werent able move from one AP to another and flushing the MAC address table fixes it, because the main switch doesn’t know which connected switch the client is on...which makes zero sense assuming the AP isn’t broken

By any chance, you're not doing some hosed up implementation of zero handoff / roaming are you?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Digital_Jesus posted:

I mean I don't know if you've actually had to work with Cisco regularly in the past, but them hiding all their API documentation inside the bowels of the ASA is... legitimately not nearly as frustrating as 99% of the other licensing related poo poo they make you put up with.

Like I'm seriously not even baffled or given moderate cause for pause reading that scenario. That sounds perfectly normal for them.

yeah, I'm doubting their cisco cred if licensing issues are some new discovery.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

The other problem I have with that idea is that there's no technical reason the equipment couldn't advertise only one mode in autonegotiation, so it both worked without requiring any pointless manual configuration and only operated in the desired mode.

This. If you're thinking of AT&T's metro ethernet products, you can actually request they do exactly this ^^^: "please set my port to auto-negotiate advertising only 100/full" on a 100mbit port.

The other half of the reason why is because they wrote their design document back when Fastethernet was the copper standard and simply never updated them to reflect that "Fastethernet" doesn't exist on gigabit Ciena/Juniper/Cisco hardware ports.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tetramin posted:

Yeah, I just experienced this at a new site with metro Ethernet. Our “100mb symmetrical” link was auto negotiating to 100/half duplex giving us like 10mb actual speed. Got to experience the hell that is ATTs support too, after 3 auto closed tickets they finally fixed it.

I dont think the speed 100 was an actual problem but it negotiates at 1000/full now and speeds are what I expected.

Make sure you have your own equipment shaping or policing to 100/100 or else you will have a lot of large file transfers magically fail when the ATT policer kills your session.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

falz posted:

If you're an environment that has hardware from multiple vendors, ease your stocking by getting programmable transceivers from flexoptics or similar. Fiberstore may also have a box like this now as well.

Keep a few first party optics around for support cases.

Also in the programmable game is Solid-Optics, https://solid-optics.com and then Fiberstore FS is trying to get into the same thing but getting their programming box is kind of a bunch of bullshit.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Moey posted:

https://www.fs.com/products/75866.html

I really don't have a need for it, but this is pretty cool looking.

You have issues with it?

The issue I had was that it was simply unavailable for purchase (perhaps until very recently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Narrator voice:
It was a dumb tunnel