Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

XakEp posted:

As I understand it, thats what its supposed to do. Pick best path routing and route the traffic over the links that'll get the data there faster. As one route gets congested, it switches over.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6628/products_ios_protocol_option_home.html

Yeah but shouldn't it be a soft cutover, where current traffic on that line keeps flowing? I'm getting the impression that it's just doing a hopping dance between the two lines, completely moving everything over at the slightest hint of congestion, instead of balancing load across both links simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

M@ posted:

They're certainly trying like hell to stomp out the used market. They like painting the "grey" market as stolen/counterfeit gear and don't have any problem telling customers that.

Part of that reasoning is that they can't have any real knowledge of the chain of ownership on any given part, and stuff like T1 WIC cards are easily counterfeited. I've had at least 3 couterfeit WICs pass my desk in the past 3 months, and two of them went bad within 30 days. If Cisco had to support that, it would be a monetary black hole.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Is it possible to break out individual serial T1s (for MLPPP, bonded t1) from a ATM-IMA card? I've got this card in one of our 7206VXR routers, and want to run a MLPPP connection for lab/testing purposes, and I can't seem to find any configuration notes on google. We were originally using this card for a 8x T1 IMA interface, but have since upgraded that connection to a DS3. Now that this card is vacant I want to putz around with configuring it a little.

IMA WAN DS1 Port adapter, 8 ports
PA-IMA-T1

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

inignot posted:

Eh? MLPPP and ATM-IMA are two totally different types of link bonding. I really doubt you're going to get anywhere with this. Actually, without a spare ATM switch I don't think you're going to be able to do anything with the IMA card.

That's why I'm asking. MLPPP is a software implementation on top of whatever interfaces you put into the bundle, right? So if I could break out individual Serial T1's instead of using the IMA bundle, couldn't I do MLPPP? Basically I have that IMA card with 8 ports in my lab, and I've got a 2611 with two WIC-T1s in it. I was wondering what it would take to connect the two together.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

inignot posted:

Ok, here's the short way to test this. Try to use "encap ppp" on one of your IMA interfaces.

Well yeah, that doesn't work since it's still an ATM/IMA interface. I was wondering if there was some way to configure one of the ports as a serial T1 like you can with the VWIC-2MFT-T1 cards. At this point I might just dig around and see if I can find a spare ethernet PA card & ethernet WIC to test with. Thanks though.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

InferiorWang posted:

Is there an adapter to convert the serial console cable to USB? I just got my Thinkpad at work and didn't realize it doesn't have a serial port. It's not critical, but it would be nice to have.

take your pick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=usb+serial&x=31&y=39

Personally I use the Keyspan one, but that's because I use a macbook pro, and it was the only compatible one on the market at the time I bought it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

What serial console software do you use? I have an older G4 PowerBook that I wouldn't mind carrying around instead of my heavier Dell.

Zterm

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
How can I find out the number of points any particular card uses on a 7206VXR? I need to make room for a 400 point gigabit card (out of 600 total available) and google's not giving me any hints.

Nevermind - I found it after changing my search terms:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/7206/port_adp/config/3875in.htm#wp1115595

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
just a short follow up to this:

jwh posted:

What serial console software do you use? I have an older G4 PowerBook that I wouldn't mind carrying around instead of my heavier Dell.

The big obstacle that I ran into is that there aren't a lot of serial adapters out there that have updated drivers for intel macs. As far as I know, Keyspan offers (every)mac compatible devices, and generic ones based on FTDI chips will work if you download the FTDI driver from the chipmaker's site.

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
How often do any of you guys configure loopback interfaces on your routers, and what do you tend to use them for?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

permanoob posted:

I'm using a Pix 515 and I'm trying to route traffic on ports 61000 and 61001 to our dmz webserver. With the dmz webserver's ip being 172.16.0.8, would this be incorrect?

access-list acl_mdc_VLFrame_access_1 extended permit tcp any host 172.16.0.8 eq 61001
access-list acl_mdc_VLFrame_access_1 extended permit tcp any host 172.16.0.8 eq 61000

Are you doing any NAT with your firewall? If so there should also be a "static" rule somewhere in there that you need to check, incase you're only doing port forwarding instead of one-to-one static nats.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Filthy_McGreasy posted:

I have a 2507, and a 2900 series switch...

2507:
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.1(7), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Is it possible to do inter-VLAN routing between the two? The 2507 has a 16 port hub in it, and one actual ethernet interface. I try applying an ip address to a virtual interface and I get this:

According to this it won't work on a 25xx router:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t1/8021q.htm#wp3932

Here's an example of an interface in one of our routers:

quote:

interface FastEthernet0/0.1
encapsulation dot1Q 11
ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I've got an 1841 router and I'm trying to add a HWIC-1FE to it. For some reason the 1841's rejecting it saying it's disabled/not supported. What gives?

quote:

WIC/HWIC Slot 1:
Unknown WAN daughter card
WIC module not supported/disabled in this slot
Hardware Revision : 2.0
Top Assy. Part Number : 800-27737-02
Part Number : 73-10676-02
Board Revision : B0
Deviation Number : 0
Fab Version : 02
PCB Serial Number : FOC114416HY
RMA Test History : 00
RMA Number : 0-0-0-0
RMA History : 00
Product (FRU) Number : HWIC-1FE
Version Identifier : V01
CLEI Code : COUIAFTCAA
Base MAC Address : 001a.6c70.2778
MAC Address block size : 1
Connector Type : 01

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

Upgrade your IOS to 12.4(15)T.

motherf- yep that was it. Thanks!

... okay spoke too soon. Uploaded c1841-ipbase-mz.124-18.bin and that doesn't seem to be fixing it.

\/ \/ yeah 12.4.(15)T1 did the trick.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 11, 2007

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Spazz posted:

So I'm not far enough into my cirriculum to know who to work with this yet, but I have a 2511-DC that I got and I have a LOT of equipment I plan to learn off of. Is there a way to configure Async 1-16 to plug into the CONSOLE port to manage multiple pieces of equipment via SSH or other means? Or am I just pissing into the wind?

Love the thread, guys.

Yeah that's a bit of a pipe dream. The Async port isn't RS232 serial, and at the very least won't let you connect to it directly to send/recieve plaintext. You're better off chasing down a serial console server like a Lantronix device or whatnot.

Okay so I'm totally off about that point. I thought you were talking about a serial wic.

Anyways you'll need an octal cable. Here's one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320199361010

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 29, 2007

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Girdle Wax posted:

pfSense will do VLANs, and VPN (PPTP, IPSec, and OpenVPN).

Probably the biggest advantage with going to a commercial firewall is that you can pay for support- so if the one guy that knows how to deal with the firewalls is on holidays and unreachable you can actually make an attempt at getting them fixed without needing to track him down.

This is more valuable than you would even guess until you actually need it. There's hundreds of Cisco techs around who are a phone call away 24/7. The same can't be said for PfSense and m0n0wall.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

inignot posted:

If you & the other customers shared a broadcast domain; you could spoof the mac of the carrier's gateway and do man in the middle.

Yeah, why on earth would (or do) carriers put business customers together within the same broadcast domain. Isn't that just a recipe for disaster?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Problem is, I don't have the serial console kit, and I am trying to make my own cables.

I'll sell/send you a DB-9 console cable for the cost of shipping. Wiring DB9 cables isn't worth the time or effort, really. I'm actually kinda surprised that the switch didn't come with a console cable.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Will I need any kind of rollover or anything?

One end is DB9, the other end is RJ45. Pre-wired to plug into a COM port and a Cisco CON port.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Sounds good, what will shipping be to zip 60013?

3oz envelope: $1.60 paypal usps 1st class, or $5.05 paypal usps priority. Catch me AIM or PM me.

This is what I'm talking about

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

12.4(15)T1 is really spotty. Can you try another IOS?

What do you recommend in the T line, since that's the only thing that supports HWIC-1FE or HWIC-2FE

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

I don't have any good recommendations in the T line. HWIC-xFE were first supported in 12.4(15)T I think, so you might not have many options.

Yeah I figured we were stuck. We're doing cross-connected router meshes for failover using 3825s at one of our customer sites, so we need all the ethernet interfaces we can get.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

MrZodiac posted:

going to be pushing 10Tbit/s. What the hell terminates that kind of line?

Hopes, dreams and a little bit of magic. That's what.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I've got a 2801 router with a VWIC-2MFT-T1, two WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 cards, and a WIC-1ADSL card in it. For some reason it won't let me configure the t1 controller on the vwic. Every time I try to assign the timeslots it gives me this error:

code:
router#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
router(config)#controller T1 0/0/0           
router(config-controller)#channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24
%Insufficient resources to create channel group
How the hell do I get this thing working? :mad:

code:
        VIC Slot 0:
        FRU Part Number     VWIC-2MFT-T1=     

WIC/VIC/HWIC Slot 1:
        Product (FRU) Number     : WIC-1DSU-T1-V2      

WIC/VIC Slot 2:
        Product (FRU) Number     : WIC-1DSU-T1-V2      

WIC/VIC/HWIC Slot 3:
        Product (FRU) Number     : WIC-1ADSL=

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

InferiorWang posted:

Dumb question, but are all of those interface cards being used? What's the memory usage on the router look like?

It's a 2801 with a stupid amount of ram for what we're doing (simple MLPPP + ADSL backup)

code:
router>show mem
                Head    Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)   Lowest(b)  Largest(b)
Processor   657BBDC0   272908864    20128936   252779928   249120584   248709324
      I/O   F5C00000    37748736     4474124    33274612    33063552    33084252

router>show ver
Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(11)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
System image file is "flash:c2801-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T.bin"

Cisco 2801 (revision 5.0) with 356352K/36864K bytes of memory.
2 FastEthernet interfaces
2 Serial interfaces
1 ATM interface
2 Channelized T1/PRI ports
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
WIC T1-DSU
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
125952K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Midnj posted:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1721/software/feature/guide/t1e11721.html#wp144665

how's your clocking? post your config...

network-clock-participate ?
network-clock-select ?

There are zero channel-groups created so far, so the link you posted isn't it. Also that's for a 1700 series router. The router I'm working on is a 2801.

quote:

no aaa new-model
clock timezone PDT -8
clock summer-time PDT recurring 2 Sun Mar 2:00 1 Sun Nov 2:00
no network-clock-participate wic 0
ip cef
!
!
!
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
!
voice-card 0
!
!
!
controller T1 0/0/0
framing esf
linecode b8zs
!
controller T1 0/0/1
framing esf
linecode b8zs
!
!
!
!
interface Multilink1
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
load-interval 30
fair-queue 64 16 256
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
speed 100
full-duplex
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/1/0
bandwidth 1500
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
load-interval 30
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface Serial0/2/0
bandwidth 1500
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
load-interval 30
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface ATM0/3/0
no ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive
dsl operating-mode auto
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Multi1
!
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
disable-eadi
!
!
control-plane
!
!
!
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
login local
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login local
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
end

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

aaaaah gently caress. I had a funny feeling it was this. thanks!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

InferiorWang posted:

On a similar topic of CrazyLittle's last issue, can I use a voice card in all of the slots of a 1760 router? I've got three fxo cards I need to install in a router. The last two slots are marked for voice only, but I wasn't quite sure if I could use the second slot for the remaining VIC.
This is what I found for VIC-FXO cards on cisco's site: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b53c7.shtml

What're the requirements for using the voice features on a card? Could I just toss a VWIC-2MFT-T1 in an 1841 router and use one of the channels as a PRI?

jbiel posted:

While that is a viable option, why not keep the loving MAC tied to the port as long as the port stays UP/UP? God drat Cisco.

well what happens if you have some device on the other end like a smartjack that just keeps the interface up? What about hubs on the port? I think that decision on cisco's side makes a lot of sense.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

inignot posted:

Why do you think this matters?

It's convenient from a sysadmin/management point-of-view because you can keep a hardware manifest using the MAC tables...

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

InferiorWang posted:

Sorry, I'm not sure if you're asking your own question or making a suggestion!

If it's the latter, we have a T1/PRI VWIC card in the first slot of the 1760.

The initial statement was an answer to your question: "Can you use a VIC-2FXO in any slot" and from that page I found it seems the answer is "yes."

The second half is a question. I'm really tempted to see if I can do some VOIP routing with cisco products. (I want to see if it's better/smoother/cheaper than VOIP over Adtran... which is pretty drat easy.) So I'm wondering what I would need in order to get started screwing around with Cisco voice features. Any VIC/VWIC and a router with a IP PLUS load...? Yes? No? is there more to it? Any good tutorial sites or white papers on people doing this?

Oh, and as for the poster looking at OER earlier I might suggest a "pass" on it unless you've got plenty of CPU free on your router, as OER seems to work best if you're preforming NAT on the OER border routers because otherwise your return paths won't match the outbound interface.

H110Hawk posted:

We're trying (hear me Internap?) to turn up a 10gig line with them we ordered over a month ago at this point. They keep dropping the ball at various points. I think part of it is our sales guy, who at this point has stopped returning my calls.

From what I can see, all the fiber vendors are dragging their feet with fiber installs because it tends to require significantly higher human investment in the install process. A lot of their older tech like coax DS3s are faster to roll out because half the work is already done. My company's fiber rollouts are at the mercy of SBC, and that can be like pulling teeth some times.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 27, 2008

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Have any of you guys used a Cisco multi-service router (like a 2800 series) to deliver a PRI to a PBX system?

What kind of hardware are you using?
What IOS?
What does the configuration look like (you can PM if you don't want it publicly visible.)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Ahhhhh I just have to say this:

:siren: Success!!! OER works! :siren:

It's pretty cool having two DSL connections and a T1 all work in tandem, but there are some definite drawbacks. Some session based sites get confused by the multiple routes that OER can assign. The configuration is a real pain in the rear end.

ahh gently caress it I'm tired.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Spazz posted:

I'm trying to get a 2600 router working with Comcast and I'm having trouble. I've gotten this far and from the router in CLI I can ping to anywhere and NAT is working fine, only I can't get it to route. When I release/renew I can ping the router, but I can't get NAT to work or get any external configurations.

Any help is appreciated. Here's the output from sh run

There's no default route, and your ACL is wrong:

interface Ethernet1/0
description Connected to LAN
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
no ip route-cache
full-duplex

ip nat inside source list 1 interface Ethernet0/0 overload

access-list 1 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

Has anyone used Lantronix SLC console servers? I'm looking for something to replace our Avocents, which I do not like very much.

I have a couple of Lantronix SCS400s at remote sites and they're fairly nice and feature packed, but some aspects of the interface make me think they're not all that secure. You can telnet direct-to-port and I don't think there's any real authentication on that feature. Beyond that though you can wire one up to be in/out on any port with or without modems, and even SSH/telnet out from the device. It's really flexible.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Stupid question:

Can you throw dissimilar interfaces into one multilink MLPPP bundle? IE - 2x ADSL + 1 ISDN + 1 DSU = fat pipe?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Oddhair posted:

is there a simple way to know which (software) versions support which features?
Not really without a Cisco smartnet login.

For EIGRP, here's all the feature sets that support EIGRP on a 2610-2613, IOS 12.3(26):

code:
FEATURE SET             FILENAME                        DRAM   FLASH
ENTERPRISE BASIC	c2600-j1s3-mz.123-26.bin	64	16
IP			c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin		32	8
IP PLUS BASIC W/O HD ANALOG/AIM ATM/VOICE	c2600-is5-mz.123-26.bin	64	16
IP PLUS BASIC W/O SWITCHING	c2600-is4-mz.123-26.bin	64	16
IP/FW/IDS		c2600-io3-mz.123-26.bin	32	16
IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES BASIC	c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-26.bin	64	16
IP/H323	c2600-ix-mz.123-26.bin	48	16
IP/H323 PLUS BASIC	c2600-is3x-mz.123-26.bin	64	16
IP/IPX/APPLETALK	c2600-bin-mz.123-26.bin	32	16
IP/IPX/AT/FW/IDS PLUS BASIC	c2600-bino3s3-mz.123-26.bin	64	16
REMOTE ACCESS SERVER	c2600-c-mz.123-26.bin	32	8
TELCO FEATURE SET	c2600-telco-mz.123-26.bin	48	16

Oddhair posted:

I think the 2610s available to me have 48MB DRAM and 16MB Flash, and support software versions 12.3 and below...
...that Cisco 10/100 WICs are a little more difficult to come by cheaply
Yes, the Cisco 26xx series (not 26xx-XM) were EOL after 12.3, but you can run the IP BASE feature set on pretty much any 26xx with 32D/8F and that should give you 99% of the features you need to get started on cert labs. Ideally you would want 2621s as they have two FastEthernet interfaces already built in. WIC-1DSU-T1 are handy cards to have because wiring T1 and T1-xover is pretty simple to do. Otherwise you might try finding serial WICs and external CSU/DSU boxes (which are largely a waste of space, electricity and time.)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 8, 2008

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

although you miss out on learning the black arts of DS1 framing and coding.

2600s are fine little routers for learning, although they really don't have enough horse to do anything useful. I have two 2621's and I'd never expect them to push anything near FastEthernet bandwidth.
Yeah - they're perfect for T1 and MLPPP T1 configurations though, which is what I use them for on my company's customer sites.

jwh - got any ideas on my question:

CrazyLittle posted:

Stupid question:

Can you throw dissimilar interfaces into one multilink MLPPP bundle? IE - 2x ADSL + 1 ISDN + 1 DSU = fat pipe?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Girdle Wax posted:

I wouldn't recommend it, is the equipment on both sides 'trusted'? You could run something like EIGRP between the nodes and do unequal-cost-multipath and let CEF load balance for you.
Ideally I want to get away/around using OER for multi-connect / large pipe clients who we throw T1s and ADSL lines together to get large download streams with T1 uptime / repair response time. We control both ends of the connection - both the CPE and the data center router.

With OER and other load balancing options that only load balances for the egress connection and the return path is not really accounted for. That doesn't work for customers of ours who run small employee internet-visible portals or VPN servers.

So why do you "not recommend" using MLPPP to form a big pipe out of dissimilar interfaces? We already do a lot of multiple-T1 bonding with MLPPP. It just doesn't make sense to have 4xT1 circuits just so that two people can VPN in while the office gets a 6mb download speed.

(oh, and just for fun my office moved, and I setup a bonded ADSL pair connection because we could only get 3mb/768k)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 9, 2008

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

My understanding is that you do not want to run into out-of-order arrival problems with an MLPPP bundle, and that that is more likely to happen when you mix and match interfaces with different serialization delays and end-to-end latencies.

Ahh that makes sense. I'd guess that the router would freak out, error out, or just lock the connection until things arrived in order, and all three of those scenarios are equally bad. I'll stick to bundling same interfaces, but it would be nice if I could find some simple ingress load-balancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

evilZardoz posted:

We will eventually have the 3845s gatewaying to the telco directly.

I can PM you parts of the config if you are really interested.

Very interested. (You have PM's disabled.) So when you go direct to telco, are you going to get a PRI from them and then use a VWIC2 to act as a trunking card?

InferiorWang posted:

Turns out I was using a standard patch cable when I really needed a crossover. The worst part was that I knew I needed the cross over.

I wish Cisco would get with the program and do auto-negotiation and auto-crossover like many cheaper devices seem to be able to do just fine. At least auto-crossover is built into the gigabit spec.