Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got a Cisco 804. I really know nothing about IOS, I googled enough to come up with a config for my home LAN with an ISDN internet connection.

My question is: How do I enable the DHCP server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rockin. Thanks.

I don't know about how it is now, but a couple years ago I tried finding the Cisco documentation on this and it was hellish finding anything on their site.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm sure this is very simple to someone who knows what they're doing, but....

Thanks to jwh's help I found the cisco docs on DHCP servers, but I can't quite seem to get this thing going. As in, none of the PC's on my network are getting addresses when set to obtain IP's via DHCP. Anything obviously wrong with the following?

quote:

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.100.100 192.168.100.110
!
ip dhcp pool DHCPPOOL
network 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0
dns-server 208.207.96.10 208.207.96.12
default-router 192.168.100.100
lease infinite

If that's not enough to help me out here's my complete config. I'm sure it's a mess, but as I said IOS is a strange beast to me and this is the best me and my friend :google: could come up with.

If it matters, my network is structured like this (crappy Gliffy diagram):

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jwh posted:

Hop on the router and do:

router> enable
router# conf t
router(config)# service dhcp
router(config)# exit
router# wr mem

hrmph. Nothing.

All commands complete succesfully but no PC's are able to get an IP. After doing a "sh ru", "service dhcp" isn't shown in the active config...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Korensky posted:

Or add:

code:
permit udp any any eq bootpc
permit udp any any eq bootps
To the end of that ACL.

I love you. I've been trying on and off for years to get this working, and this did it.

To top it off, I even understand why that works! It's almost like all this screwing around is causing me to learn something.

Thank you.