Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
Whats the deal on cisco parts listed "spare" in catalogs and poo poo.

They have a somewhat lower price but i guess there is some sort of licensing involved?

My rep just mumbled in to the phone when i brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
Sounds reasonable enought. Might hop on that bandwagon later on then.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
Whats your take on the 4500 series? The 4503 chassies with the sup-II-plus-TS supervisor looks like a nice price/performance combo to me.

Any opinions on the chassies/supervisor?

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

Korensky posted:

Really poor layer 3 forwarding performance and very limited QOS and routing capabilities. It's ok if it's just one switch in the middle of your network but if you're managing a somewhat large network, I'd almost certainly go for a SupV and run native IOS.

Im going from a 3750 stack with all our fiber in a 12S model.

Not so hot either acordning to the switchperformande.pdf in the first post.

Im not that schooled on cisco but native IOS?

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

Korensky posted:

3750Gs are the pinnacle of awesome. What are your port density and packet forwarding requirements? I actually hadn't checked out the Plus-TS (I instantly summoned memories of a 4500 with Sup2 with an L3SM or vanilla Sup2).

The 3750G-12S only has lower packet forwarding rates due to the total number of packets that can be forwarded on the number of interfaces it has. I doubt you are running this thing at line-rate :)

The only situation where you'd compromise on performance in the 3750G series switches is if you're stacking them and joining the shared 32gig fabric together (in which case you have 2 x 16gig rings between the entire stack).

True on the bandwidth part. We only have a few ports really. 16 LX and a hand full of 1000TP. The 4503 solution is is a tiny bit cheaper than a new 3750 12S + 24TS setup though.

I like the idea of redundant PSU's and a blade setup. The supII-plus-ts and 6p blade is suposedly wire rate, so i shouldn't lose out on anything with the 4503 over the 3750 setup?

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
For future reference, i did some simple testing on an 2621 and found that it maxes out
at about 50mbit. Three NATed streams results in 100% cpu usage.

So unless you are a swede a 2621 should work nicely for home use.

Found a free newish 806 but those things only have 10mbit ports :(

Edit: To comment on ior's post further down. The traffic is three FTP threads from
two localish servers. Packetsize should hover around 1500 unless something retarded
is going on.

conntrack fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 1, 2007

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

CrazyLittle posted:

Are they honest-to-god real Cisco cards? We've had 3 out of a 4-card purchase of WIC-T1-V2's and that's pretty much because they're all cheap chinese counterfeit WICs

Is there a market for those serial cards? We have like 50 of them in the poo poo heap at work.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

M@ posted:

Contrary to popular belief, there are real Cisco WICs. I've got some real ones if you're still looking for them.

One of the first things to look for on those WIC cards is the word "Stewart" on the inside of the port. Older fake WICs won't have that. Newer fakies will have it, but that's a whole different story.

I'd like to buy these, and possibly the rest of this "poo poo heap" you speak of.

It's not really mine for the taking, it just has to gather durst for a few years before being sent to it's rightful owner :/

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

TheCaptain posted:

Cisco's site is down!

Can someone verify if it's just on my end? I really need to get my hands on some of those sweet docs.

It's pretty common in sweden. And the slowness, oh the slowness.

Unless it was cisco i wouln't even buy stickers from them, a company that sells
net gear and has a 56k fast page seems a bit odd.

And yes this is from several ISP's i have experienced this.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
Routemaps and source routing.

I have finaly gotten some images that does source routing for my
oldish 3750 and newer 4503 switches.

I have been searching around for about docs on source routing but there
aren't really alot of information about it out there.

My question is, will it forward in hardware or software on my devices?

They will be routing about 800-900mbit so software isn't really desired.

conntrack fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
I suck at the posting today . Policy routing with route maps was what i was getting at.

I have four subnets and would like to try out some policy routing things.