Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

jwh posted:

I'm curious what kind of failure rates people are seeing with Cisco CF cards and ISR motherboards.

We just lost another field 1841 today to a bad 64Mb CF card, bringing our twelve-month total up to four.

And last week, we burned out two WIC-2MFT-T1's to a posessed HWIC slot in a 2811.

On the whole, our failure rates are still well below 5% of our deployed base, but I get clammy hands when thinking about how new our field routers are (130 or so ISRs), and what might be coming down the road.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps282/products_field_notice09186a00804a7abf.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

GPF posted:

The CCNA changed early last year and the books you find in the stores should be just fine and dandy. The CCNP just recently went through some fairly drastic changes, though.

The CCNA changes were pretty much this:

Drop IGRP.
Drop old switches (1900 say goodbye).
Restructure INTRO to be more useful.

I'll just be glad when they quit obsessing over ISDN.

I took both the ICND and INTRO exams and the only reference to ISDN was a small factoid question about how many D and B channels there are. I didn't have to do any coniguration or know any terminology otherwise.

IGRP is definitely still on the CCNA outline, as is RIP, single area OSPF, and internal EIGRP.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I finally spent the time to get my CCNA yesterday :)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

jwh posted:

Congratulations! How was the test? I've been thinking about trying to go do the CCNA sometime this summer.

I know you know your poo poo when it comes to Cisco routing and switching so I'm sure you could pass it with minimal effort. Get Todd Lamlee's CCNA book, which is published by Sybex, and read it from cover to cover. Get to the point where you can answer the practice questions correctly and take the test. Keep in mind that the CCNA is the base, most newbie of the Cisco certs and that a lot of what you probably know isn't even aplicable or on the test at all. It's definitely worth it, I got the cert two days ago and got a raise yesterday ;)

unknown posted:

Yup. It's where all the cool network engineers hang out now.

Pain to find providers that support it cleanly though and watch out for the type 0 routing header problem that everyone's freaking on. (Also join the ipv6-ops@lists.cluenet.de nanog-equiv mailing list)

Can you recommend any other industry mailing lists similar to these? I love stuff like this :)

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 27, 2007

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I didn't get any ISDN poo poo on either of my tests, but had quite a few frame relay questions.

I agree that Cisco exams are indeed bullshit, but their justification is that in the real world you may have to pull some archaic factoid out of your rear end so they make sure you can.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

IBM posted:

My short Cisco question: I bought some old 2600 series routers. They are missing the faceplates on the back (like the person had some expansion modules in them and took them out before selling the routers to me).

So now I have these big square holes in the back of my routers that allow a huge collection of dust and cat hair and the like. Does anyone know where I can pick up the little faceplates that go on the back?

WIC BLANK slot covers: $12 http://www.comstarinc.com/cisco_2600_parts.html

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

IBM posted:

Thanks for the link! But drat, $12 bucks for that little piece of steel that is barely stronger than aluminum foil?

Wow awesome, I actually have SecureCRT and use it for SSH (got sick of PuTTYs lack of tabs) but never thought of using it as a Hyperterminal replacement.

I'm sure you can find them cheaper somewhere, now that you know what they're called.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Sorry for the double post but I thought I'd share this. I cross posted in the coupons forum of SA mart but it's probably the most pertinant here:

This book, ISBN number 1-58720-189-5, lists as $30 on Cisco Press website and has a release date of May 7th. I just snagged it on Amazon.com for $19.99, however.

CLICK HERE

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Weissbier posted:

I'm confused. Is there one test for the 640-801 Cisco CCNA cert, or two? Thanks.

And they're going to change everything in May/June correct?

There is a one test route (640-801) and a two test route (640-821 & 640-811) for getting the CCNA. In the end you get the same cert regardless of which path you followed. You can read more about it at http://www.cisco.com.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
You should now set up a DHCP server and try DHCP off the router :) All it takes is a few hours and a lovely old PC with whatever linux you like!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Ray_ posted:

Geaux Tigers! Where is this school?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Ray_ posted:

The 2960's we're getting will all be 10/100/1000. It needs an ethernet and not a SFP, right?

gig E, yes

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Ray_ posted:

Awesome. It SHOULD work, I'm just nervous about pitching this much expensive equipment for the first time, heh. I appreciate all the help, guys.

Paul_Boz: it's Redwater Elementary School on an Indian reservation in Mississippi, I just found out. That'll be a lovely drive :/

Don't worry about how much it costs. I'd rather spend a boatload of cash on a solid infrastructure designed to grow than have to deal with expansion problems later. You're definitely doing the right thing.

Oh, and go the speed limit out there, rural Mississippi troopers are douchbags who will snag you for 3 or 4 over.

[edit]

The new CCNA certs look prety :coal:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
In an elementary school you will definitely not need anything more than a 2960. It's not like every computer will be in use at every second and I guarantee you that the network overhead of an elementery school won't be that high in general. It's not like a high school or college, where students are transferring large files and loving off on myspace (yet). Most elementery school computers are so locked down that bandwidth is litterally throttled due to stict access limitations.

I would wager that a 2960 can probably suit the needs of a core switch in your case. When you design a network the most important thing to think about is who will use it. Determine your bandwidth needs and budget accordingly. The network that you have in mind is more than robust enough for the requirements.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

inignot posted:

Can any recent test takers comment on the accuracy of this doc on Cisco's site:

http://www.cisco.com/comm/applications/CCSICom/Docs/EXAMSCORESSEPTEMBER2005.pdf

That's out dated. Go to https://www.cisco.com and look for the Careers/Certifications tab at the top. It'll have all of the certification information you need.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Let me draw you a map. It doesn't matter what the passing score is because every question is weighted differently so you have absolutely no way of gauging your performance until it's finished.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Yeah, basically it's treated as a clone by Cisco, for the purpose of replacing equipment with equipment already on hand rather than suffering from downtime while waiting for replacements. I had to buy two spare OC12 cards at work the other day :coolfish:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

jwh posted:

Ugh, this is the thing I hate the most about cable/dsl. We have a deployed base of about 100 broadband sites, and we can't use our standard monitoring packages to detect link failure, because the link doesn't typically go down.

I don't understand why cable/dsl modems can't be configured to down the ethernet side if the cable/dsl side is down. It would make life so much easier.

You can use big brother for this. In fact, We use bbro at work to monitor our static DSL customers so that we can pro actively repair their service before they realize they're out. Bbro could easily scale to your 100 sites and you'd be able to monitor all of them in one convenient web interface.

PS

Anyone want some spaghetti?

You don't even want to see the back.

Oh and one last thing. Does anyone have a 2500 series with two Fast Ethernet ports that you don't want?

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 28, 2007

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

nene posted:

Uh, the 2500 never had FE ports - a 2621 is probably what you're after :unsmith:

If you don't like the sound of ebay for Cisco kit, you should be able to find a local(ish) second source supplier that has pre-loved kit cheaply.

I meant a 2500 with two FA ports via WIC.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Oh well, I Thought the 2500 was more modular than that, but I've really only worked with 2600's+. I don't want to spend $300 on a properly equipped 2600 though :/

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Ninja Rope posted:

I ended up going to Weird Stuff and I found their stack of 2500's.

It looks like some models have 3 slots, some with CSU/DSU cards in them, but I don't know they're the same as the WIC slots you'd find on a newer router. They also had a Cat 5000 (with a 10/100 module!), if anyone needs CatOS practice.

Dude could I paypal you the money for a 2500 with wic slot? That is, if that place isn't too far out of the way.

jwh posted:

Not exactly a Cisco item, but ouch:

08/13/2007,13:35:39 [RoBo ][PROG][PROGRESS/STATUS MESSAGE FROM AT&T]
There are 128 Core T3??s failed of which 100 are restored in Palm Springs, CA (LSANCA03 PHNXAZMA). The AT&T T3 Group has isolated this to a fiber cut in Palm Springs, CA. There is no ETTR available at this time.

That has to be a bad day for somebody.

Somebody backho'd both rings of one of my OC48's last week. It was a nightmare.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I recently scheduled the CCNP 642-892 bsci/bcmsn composite exam for January 11th.

Pearson-Vue posted:

Exam: 642-892: Composite Price: $US 225.00
Details: English; 140 minutes Cisco ID: Paul Boz
Appointment: Fri, 11 Jan 2008
Start Time: 11:00 AM Test Center: Momentum
450 Laurel Street
Suite 1501
Baton Rouge, LA, USA 70801
Appt. Number: 223476200
Date/Time Appt. Created: Sat, 8 Dec 2007, at 11:11 PM
Order Number: 0001-0445-9765 Status: Appointment Scheduled

There is so much poo poo on this test, :lol:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Dynamips is great in that you can map a virtual interface to a physical one in the PC/server running the program. You can then interconnect it into your physical lab and voila, up to five or six more 7206's.

Dynamips can't simulate something that happens in hardware, like layer 2 frame switching. It only runs the operations that occur in software, like routing. It's not Dynamips fault that it can't do something that specific hardware is engineered to do.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
OER is actually really neat. I've never come across a situation where I actually had to use it, but it's in the bag of tricks. I prefer BGP for that sort of stuff but for most people BGP isn't really an option due to hardware limitations etc.

I'm sitting the ISCW on next Friday and it looks to have a ton of SDM. I wish Cisco would stop pimping their GUI on their tests. I just love learning stuff which I will never use.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 22, 2008

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Anyone got some advice on the 642-845 ONT exam? I took/passed the composite and the ISCW so its the last one to take and I'm sitting it in a week. I'm studied up on all of the subjects which are covered but if anyone has advice on the test itself I'd appreciate it.

bitprophet posted:

Thanks! Hopefully one of those tips for recovering the password will work - that's probably my best bet. I don't have a CCO account so reinstalling sounds like it won't be possible.

Here is the specific recovery document for the 2500 series access router. I had to do this a few weeks ago for my "new" console access router.

Click Here

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 7, 2008

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Well I took/passed the ONT exam today and now I am a CCNP :)

InferiorWang posted:

I'm under the impression that I needed to use BGP to create an autonomous system which would allow to build redundancy into my network as far as internet access, inbound and outbound, is concerned. So our mail server, webserver, and a few other services are registered in DNS with public IP addresses provided by the ISP. If I up and switch the ISP, those public IP addresses will no longer "be ours". But I can still use the new connection to outbound web requests for internet surfing.

Am I wrong in this line of thought?

BGP would indeed do what you want but you'd need some much more powerful routers to be able to pull full routing tables from multiple providers. Ideally you'd have three BGP-capable routers with one router per peer, with a third running iBGP and doing the path selection to either peer.

If having your email and website up 100% of the time is that important to you you may want have it hosted in a colo. Data center costs are way down these days.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 24, 2008

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

jwh posted:

Congratulations! That's pretty awesome.

How was the test? Can you share any details?

Thanks. The test wasn't bad. It was the easiest of the three (I took the three test route).

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
If you're trying to access your web server via the outside world there's a good chance your ISP is blocking port 80. We did that at my previous employer and caused a few residential customers problems similar to what you're experiencing.

Can you post your NAT xlate table? Your config is right on with the doccd as far as the static nat port mapping.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/command/reference/iad_nat.html#wp1011696

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 22, 2008

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

ILikeVoltron posted:

Anybody know how to do a "configure replace" on an ASA device?

Yeah, I checked the master command reference (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/c4.html) and found no trace of it. Just replace the startup config with a good backup or reloading the ASA without writing changes to the startup.

[edit] Didn't see your edit :)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
You guys hear about the new CCNA-Security, CCNA-Wireless, and CCNA-Voice?

I got the CCNA-Sec book via Safari and its actually pretty good for a Cisco Press book. I'll probably snag the sec and voice.

jbiel posted:

This is what we did at my last ISP job. At our peering points we only had one provider, but multiple links to them, so def-route was better than pulling full tables on old 7513s with RSP8s :)

Same here. We had one guy that swore full tables on 7206vxr's with crazy prepending was the best solution. Definitely a no-go.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
The Nexus is cool but until they get a lot of the bugs out I don't see it as a six figure switch. I'm quite content with 10k's :colbert:

Bias aside, how different is the OS from IOS?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Emailed you about Nexus docs.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
What are you paying for those? I paid like $50 each for my stack of 2950's. Check the for sale forum too. From time to time there are goons selling plenty of cisco stuff.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
7600's make fine switches. We cut over from a cluster of 6500's for core ATM aggregation (think 50k PVCs total) to a pair of 7600s with zero problems.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I wrapped up the CCDA last week and I'm getting into the CCDP ARCH material now. I'm finding that design is really fun and I have a knack for it. Has anyone else taken the ARCH that has some tips? The info out there on the exam is scarce at best.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

inignot posted:

The PDIOO process & Enterprise Composite model that Cisco pushes in their design certs are complete and total candyland nonsense used by no one.

Okay? Cisco partners hire people with CCDA/CCDP certifications. My goal isn't to imagine I live in some fairy land where the PPDIOO and enterprise composite model exist in every network - it's to make myself as appealing to employers as possible. Cisco Partners sell cisco products. To sell cisco products you have to know how they're designed and implemented in cisco-oriented networks. That's what the design certs do. I've got a CCNP for the "real world" stuff. The design stuff is for the pay check.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

atticus posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I thought a CCNP was for the "real world" stuff too. It's not.

Don't get me wrong, I think certifications serve their purpose, but I don't really agree with your expectations after obtaining them.

It's worked so far.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My wife sent this to me on Valentines day and I laughed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pffeMdDSoY

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Got a few questions for you guys.

Until last week I had no experience with Cisco MARS. My boss expressed to me that several clients of ours had interest in MARS consulting, so I decided to check it out to see if it was something we should or could do. A contact of mine set me up with a MARS appliance on loan for a little while so I spent the weekend getting it up and running and getting acquainted with the CLI and GUI.

I have experience using and administering HP Openview in a decently sized service provider environment so the concept of NMS isn't foreign. I haven't had time to do much beyond interfacing it with one router and configuring it for user access but over the next few days I will spend a lot more time working with it.

I'm reading all of the Cisco-provided material (user guide, config guide, startup guide, etc) as well as the two Cisco Press books on MARS and it all seems pretty straight forward. Does anyone have any experience administering MARS in a working environment? I'm curious to know any tips and tricks that have been found, or potential pitfalls that could be avoided.

Also, anyone got a cheap ASA 5505 (or any cheap ASA at all) for sale or know where I can get one?

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I took the composite followed by the ISCW and ONT within six or seven months. Without hands on experience you can not get a CCNP in a month without cheating. There are tons of sims on each of the exams that sometimes ask you to do more archaic stuff than you are prepared for. The CCIP exams were especially like that.

Take it test by test and see where you are.

jwh posted:

I was under the impression MARS isn't really a NMS in the way that OpenView is- MARS is geared more towards security event correlation.

I've looked at MARS several times, and we've also looked at Q1, and CheckPoint's offering. I think they're all terribly expensive for what you get, and none of them solve the problem of having to hire an additional full time employee just to babysit the installation.

How cheap is cheap? The 10 user bundle is about $400 through most places.

Definitely right about MARS compared to Openview. That's why I'm messing with MARS before I say I know it :)

As far as ASA prices: I'm trying to find something on the used market that I can use in my lab, nothing commercial grade.