Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so I've got a whole stack of 2610 routers and zilch for documentation. where can I find stuff like how to access their console and stuff?

I'm not really a cisco guy so I apologize for such a basic and stupid question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so I had an entertaining night last night. I was mistakenly asked to do a password recovery on an 1841 router that was setup by AT&T.

never doing that again.

Evidently they fudged the memory register stuff around so that you couldn't do confreg 0x2142 and bypass the startup config during the boot process.

I'm thinking that might be a neat thing to know because I have several assets in CoLos that aren't exactly good about keeping people from messing with other people's stuff.

Anyone know how they did it?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Girdle Wax posted:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_configuration_example09186a00801d8113.shtml

'no service password-recovery'

but uh, make sure you have lots of backups first.

mighty cool. thanks. I think AT&T did something different, like actually changing the memory addresses that loaded the boot image. But this will work nicely.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GOOCHY posted:

Just to wrap up this weird one - I downloaded the Cisco TFTP server released in 1995 and hosted on oldversion.com and it worked immediately. Note to self - Solarwinds TFTP server acts funky from time to time...

do you(or anyone else here for that matter), know of a free tftp server alternative to Solarwinds? I'm having the same problem where I try to copy something over and their tftp server shuts down.

e: and other than the old cisco one, that one made me pretty angry a few times to.

coconono fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 22, 2008

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

can anyone see any use of having a DCHP pool of one address with a very short lease?

I have a problem that I think that might be a fix.